PDA

View Full Version : New Possibility for Shelton Acquisition

jpdex12
04-11-2005, 05:50 PM
I just read that Arizona let go of former second round pick Ray Thompson for similar reasons that they are not interested in keeping Shelton.
If TD holds out long enough, like past June 1, I'm wondering if Arizona just doesn't release Shelton because Green doesn't want to pay him another years salary and no one else in the league is biting on him as trade bait. This is what they just did with Thompson. TD knows that no one else seems interested in him and Shelton loved his visit to Buffalo.
With the latest draft talk (foxsports-hot rumors), Buffalo news is now talking that TD may want to package Henry with our second round pick and move up the board. He may be figuring on grabbing Shelton after he is released and getting a better pick in the draft (first round maybe) with a higher spot. Garrison Hearst visiting is also another sign that Buffalo is preparing to part ways.
These are just my thoughts but it is another possibility. I think that it may be tough to get into the first round, but maybe if we add another pick like a third next year along with our second this year and Henry it may be possible. You know TD.:gobills:

Any feedback guys?

gr8slayer
04-11-2005, 05:51 PM
hmmm......... Good thinking.

jpdex12
04-11-2005, 06:12 PM
I just read that Arizona let go of former second round pick Ray Thompson for similar reasons that they are not interested in keeping Shelton.
If TD holds out long enough, like past June 1, I'm wondering if Arizona just doesn't release Shelton because Green doesn't want to pay him another years salary and no one else in the league is biting on him as trade bait. This is what they just did with Thompson. TD knows that no one else seems interested in him and Shelton loved his visit to Buffalo.
With the latest draft talk (foxsports-hot rumors), Buffalo news is now talking that TD may want to package Henry with our second round pick and move up the board. He may be figuring on grabbing Shelton after he is released and getting a better pick in the draft (first round maybe) with a higher spot. Garrison Hearst visiting is also another sign that Buffalo is preparing to part ways.
These are just my thoughts but it is another possibility. I think that it may be tough to get into the first round, but maybe if we add another pick like a third next year along with our second this year and Henry it may be possible. You know TD.:gobills:

Any feedback guys?
And I'm not talking that someone will trade us a high 1st round pick, but maybe lower first. TD is one patient SOB. We'll make out alright on this deal.

lunatic_bills_fan
04-11-2005, 06:44 PM
If Shelton were to be released, what kind of money do you think he is gona want for someone to sign him? It would be interesting to see what kind of coin he is gonna get, without ever proving himself in the NFL to this point in his career.

Jeff1220
04-11-2005, 07:41 PM
I don't want TD to trade up for the sole sake of getting a first rounder. If he's going to move up, I want it to be because there is someone there that isn't worth passing up.

jpdex12
04-11-2005, 07:50 PM
I don't want TD to trade up for the sole sake of getting a first rounder. If he's going to move up, I want it to be because there is someone there that isn't worth passing up.
Yeah, TD's only gonna make the move in to the first if there is still someone one the board that they like and a good buy. Why else would anyone move up if they didn't see anyone they like? Just to say that we had a first round pick? That doesn't make sense.

jpdex12
04-11-2005, 07:52 PM
If Shelton were to be released, what kind of money do you think he is gona want for someone to sign him? It would be interesting to see what kind of coin he is gonna get, without ever proving himself in the NFL to this point in his career.I think if we wait and Shelton is released, he won't have much choice other than to take what he can get. No one is offering anything now, so I wouldn't expect much after June 1.
If we trade TH to get into the first and it is with another team besides Arizona, you can bet that Shelton is a June 1 cap casualty. Maybe that's what TD is planning.

Mr. Cynical
04-11-2005, 08:02 PM
I think if we wait and Shelton is released, he won't have much choice other than to take what he can get. No one is offering anything now, so I wouldn't expect much after June 1.
If we trade TH to get into the first and it is with another team besides Arizona, you can bet that Shelton is a June 1 cap casualty. Maybe that's what TD is planning.
You're right, but that also is a concern for me. If nobody else wants him, how good can he really be? We still don't have a proven LT and that will be very bad for JP and the team's success next season if we don't get one.

jpdex12
04-11-2005, 08:08 PM
You're right, but that also is a concern for me. If nobody else wants him, how good can he really be? We still don't have a proven LT and that will be very bad for JP and the team's success next season if we don't get one.
I know brother, I was thinking that too but if the Bills were interested in him initially, then McNally had to see something in him that he thought that he could work with. I trust him, he's got the record to prove it. Maybe that's what some other teams are waiting for also. :idunno:

HurryUpTom
04-11-2005, 08:14 PM
That's a big gamble considering June 1st is more than a month after the draft. If we're planning on getting shelton as a free agent at that time, we'd skip an OT and maybe even OL altogether in the draft ... then why does Green cut Shelton? He knows that if we don't get him, we're screwed.

We hold the cards until the draft ... after that point, we either pick up an OL, in which case, we may not need Shelton, so who cares how much he costs ... or else we hold out for Shelton and end up desperate.

jpdex12
04-11-2005, 08:24 PM
That's a big gamble considering June 1st is more than a month after the draft. If we're planning on getting shelton as a free agent at that time, we'd skip an OT and maybe even OL altogether in the draft ... then why does Green cut Shelton? He knows that if we don't get him, we're screwed.

We hold the cards until the draft ... after that point, we either pick up an OL, in which case, we may not need Shelton, so who cares how much he costs ... or else we hold out for Shelton and end up desperate.
As per TD's interview today at the draft luncheon he feels that Buffalo is able to roll with what we currently have. They may have to move a player or two around, but it will work. I think that TD feels more comfortable than we think with the o-line right now. He mentioned that Gandy and Peters are working at that position in the off season workouts. I know that that isn't saying much now, but they know more than we do and they seemed pretty picky about which FA lineman they were going to jump on so we may be suprised to see who our next LT is.
We also have the draft to pick up our LT. Not a LT that could start game one, but one that could be worked in midway through the season. I think that we could go with what we have now. Hell, when Marcus Price filled in for JJ last year, it wasn't too awful bad and Price is no one special.

JJamezz
04-11-2005, 08:33 PM
I think that we could go with what we have now. Hell, when Marcus Price filled in for JJ last year, it wasn't too awful bad and Price is no one special.

One could even argue that with Price in there, we didn't miss a beat... which made me wonder when they didn't try to keep him - I haven't been online in a while, did we finally resign Price?

The_Philster
04-11-2005, 08:36 PM
One could even argue that with Price in there, we didn't miss a beat... which made me wonder when they didn't try to keep him - I haven't been online in a while, did we finally resign Price?

nope

BillsFan-N-AZ
04-11-2005, 08:45 PM

Any feedback guys?

My thoughts are if we do package Henry with our 2nd we could move into the 1st round to grab a corner but subsequently (and I would hate to see him go) trade Clement for a 2nd this year and a 1st next. We could then address the OL (Bass) in the 2nd and WR (Matt Jones) in the third (Although there's plenty of hype I think he'll still be around in the 3rd). I love Clement but just don't think we are going to be able to pay him next year. IMO Shelton will be release because TD will stand firm with his request for the 44th pick (and rightfully so), if Greene doesn't bite we'll pick up Shelton after June 1. I know alot of things have to happen for this to to take place, it's just one of many scenarios.:peace:

mysticsoto
04-11-2005, 08:49 PM
My thoughts are if we do package Henry with our 2nd we could move into the 1st round to grab a corner but subsequently (and I would hate to see him go) trade Clement for a 2nd this year and a 1st next. We could then address the OL (Bass) in the 2nd and WR (Matt Jones) in the third (Although there's plenty of hype I think he'll still be around in the 3rd). I love Clement but just don't think we are going to be able to pay him next year. IMO Shelton will be release because TD will stand firm with his request for the 44th pick (and rightfully so), if Greene doesn't bite we'll pick up Shelton after June 1. I know alot of things have to happen for this to to take place, it's just one of many scenarios.:peace:
Ummm...if we were to trade NC for a 2nd this year and a 1st next, we'd need to get a top CB for his spot with the 1st or 2nd pick!!!!

jpdex12
04-11-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm betting that TD will hold onto Nate so he plays his ass off for us one last year before his contract expires, then he will get tagged before he turns FA next year. Then we will have more to bargain for if he puts in another probowl type year and if he doesn't have quite as good of a year, then we can use that against him when trying to negotiate a contract.

kevinj22
04-11-2005, 09:01 PM
According to the Cardinals fan forum, they are reporting that the deal is done based on a source close to the front office. They say that the source is VERY reliable. It is believed to be TH for Shelton and either the Bills getting the Cards 3rd round pick or we swap 3rd rounders, no mention of the second round pick.

jpdex12
04-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Ummm...if we were to trade NC for a 2nd this year and a 1st next, we'd need to get a top CB for his spot with the 1st or 2nd pick!!!!
If no one will give the Raiders a first for Woodson, or the Dolphins a first for Surtain then I don't see anyone giving us a first for Nate. I know Nate has had a few nice years and he's younger, but no one wants to give up a first round pick in recent years unless your dealing Randy Moss. Look at Edge and Alexander...their teams only want a second rounder. We'd be doing great for a high second round pick for Clements and he even was picked in the second round and took a few years to blossom. We cannot afford to give him up this year and groom a new stud CB. That is why as much as I would like to see us take Matt jones if he is there in the second, the smart move would be to grab a good CB.

HurryUpTom
04-11-2005, 09:10 PM
If no one will give the Raiders a first for Woodson, or the Dolphins a first for Surtain then I don't see anyone giving us a first for Nate. I know Nate has had a few nice years and he's younger, but no one wants to give up a first round pick in recent years unless your dealing Randy Moss. Look at Edge and Alexander...their teams only want a second rounder. We'd be doing great for a high second round pick for Clements and he even was picked in the second round and took a few years to blossom. We cannot afford to give him up this year and groom a new stud CB. That is why as much as I would like to see us take Matt jones if he is there in the second, the smart move would be to grab a good CB.
I don't think Woodson is in the same league as Clements and Surtain. Woodson has the talent, but he doesn't seem to show up all the time.

Dicknoze69
04-11-2005, 10:01 PM
According to the Cardinals fan forum, they are reporting that the deal is done based on a source close to the front office. They say that the source is VERY reliable. It is believed to be TH for Shelton and either the Bills getting the Cards 3rd round pick or we swap 3rd rounders, no mention of the second round pick.

I'd take Shelton and that 3rd off their hands and run.

jpdex12
04-11-2005, 10:25 PM
No, this cannot be. I just came up with a killer theory on the Modrak/TD thread in this forum. this would blow my theory! I wouldn't mind if we got their third and Shelton and kept our third. I cannot see that happening though. Swap the thirds? Where's that gonna get us?

Dozerdog
04-11-2005, 11:28 PM

How log you been gone? 2 years?
:snicker:

BillsFanCupp38
04-12-2005, 10:09 AM

Any feedback guys?

Very possible... I like the way you think. Travis Henry + a 2nd round pick is definately worth a 1st rounder.

Michael82
04-12-2005, 10:50 AM
I'd take Shelton and that 3rd off their hands and run.
So would I. I'd send Travis Henry immediately. The interesting thing is that they have 2 of them. I'd do that deal.

John Doe
04-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Letting Shelton go makes no sense at all from the Cardinals perspective as opposed to making the trade with the Bills for Henry and swapping 2nd rounders. If they just let him go they have nothing to show for him instead of getting a good running back (Henry) for the price of trading down in the second.

Bert102176
04-12-2005, 05:19 PM
I think Henry will be playing somewhere in Florida next year, and no trade with Arizona will happen, just a gut feeling

jpdex12
04-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Letting Shelton go makes no sense at all from the Cardinals perspective as opposed to making the trade with the Bills for Henry and swapping 2nd rounders. If they just let him go they have nothing to show for him instead of getting a good running back (Henry) for the price of trading down in the second.
The Bills hold the cards. If we don't trade Henry before or during the draft, and Arizona does not get their RB, then they will cut him before June 1.

The more likely occurrence is that we trade TH to another team for picks. Then what does Arizona do with a $3 million tackle that they will not use and no one is interested in him up to this point? They cut him June 1.

Meathead
04-12-2005, 05:51 PM
How log you been gone? 2 years?
:snicker:
I think he means Marcus not Peerless.

DynaPaul
04-12-2005, 06:26 PM

We are? I think we'll do fine without Shelton. Sure, it'll be a nice addition to the O-Line but I don't think we're doomed without him.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-12-2005, 11:40 PM

I know that this will probably make you groan, but, if the Cards don't cut Shelton on June 1st, the Bills could pick up Scott Gragg, who 49ers are reportedly going to cut June 1st. Gragg is an OT who was developed by and worked with McNally when he was drafted by the NY Giants. Having worked with Gragg in the past, McNally may feel that Gragg offers the Bills a back-up position if they choose not to make the trade for Shelton.

Excellent points! If at all possible, I would like the Bills to try to keep Clements because there is guarantee that a CB that you draft to replace him will ever develop to be as good as he has become and it will take time for anyone that you draft to develop. As our defensive front ages and needs to be replaced, having a "shutdown" CB will become more important than it has been and Clements has the ability to give the Bills that for the next few years.

I think Henry will be playing somewhere in Florida next year, and no trade with Arizona will happen, just a gut feeling
It wouldn't surprise me--although it won't be in Miami. Every time I hear TD mention that there are other teams that are interested in T.Henry, I keep seeing references to Tampa Bay possibly being interested in him. Even though I thought M.Pittman did a very good job for them last season, I would not be surprised if J.Gruden was interested in trading for T.Henry--he doesn't seem to like Pittman that much. Even so, I still think that Arizona is still T.Henry's most likely destination....

Bert102176
04-13-2005, 12:03 AM
personnaly I don't think Shelton is that good anyways but hey I'm not the GM and don't have a say in the matter, but I just don't see it happening atleast not to Arizona