X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

New Possibility for Shelton Acquisition

I just read that Arizona let go of former second round pick Ray Thompson for similar reasons that they are not interested in keeping Shelton.
    If TD holds out long enough, like past June 1, I'm wondering if Arizona just doesn't release Shelton because Green doesn't want to pay him another years salary and no one else in the league is biting on him as trade bait. This is what they just did with Thompson. TD knows that no one else seems interested in him and Shelton loved his visit to Buffalo.
    With the latest draft talk (foxsports-hot rumors), Buffalo news is now talking that TD may want to package Henry with our second round pick and move up the board. He may be figuring on grabbing Shelton after he is released and getting a better pick in the draft (first round maybe) with a higher spot. Garrison Hearst visiting is also another sign that Buffalo is preparing to part ways.
    These are just my thoughts but it is another possibility. I think that it may be tough to get into the first round, but maybe if we add another pick like a third next year along with our second this year and Henry it may be possible. You know TD.

Any feedback guys?
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

hmmm......... Good thinking.

Comment

• jpdex12
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jpdex12
      I just read that Arizona let go of former second round pick Ray Thompson for similar reasons that they are not interested in keeping Shelton.
      If TD holds out long enough, like past June 1, I'm wondering if Arizona just doesn't release Shelton because Green doesn't want to pay him another years salary and no one else in the league is biting on him as trade bait. This is what they just did with Thompson. TD knows that no one else seems interested in him and Shelton loved his visit to Buffalo.
      With the latest draft talk (foxsports-hot rumors), Buffalo news is now talking that TD may want to package Henry with our second round pick and move up the board. He may be figuring on grabbing Shelton after he is released and getting a better pick in the draft (first round maybe) with a higher spot. Garrison Hearst visiting is also another sign that Buffalo is preparing to part ways.
      These are just my thoughts but it is another possibility. I think that it may be tough to get into the first round, but maybe if we add another pick like a third next year along with our second this year and Henry it may be possible. You know TD.

Any feedback guys?
      And I'm not talking that someone will trade us a high 1st round pick, but maybe lower first. TD is one patient SOB. We'll make out alright on this deal.

Comment

• lunatic_bills_fan
        • Oct 2002

If Shelton were to be released, what kind of money do you think he is gona want for someone to sign him? It would be interesting to see what kind of coin he is gonna get, without ever proving himself in the NFL to this point in his career.

Comment

• Jeff1220
          H to the 12:20
          • Jul 2002

I don't want TD to trade up for the sole sake of getting a first rounder. If he's going to move up, I want it to be because there is someone there that isn't worth passing up.

Comment

• jpdex12
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Jeff1220
            I don't want TD to trade up for the sole sake of getting a first rounder. If he's going to move up, I want it to be because there is someone there that isn't worth passing up.
            Yeah, TD's only gonna make the move in to the first if there is still someone one the board that they like and a good buy. Why else would anyone move up if they didn't see anyone they like? Just to say that we had a first round pick? That doesn't make sense.

Comment

• jpdex12
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by lunatic_bills_fan
              If Shelton were to be released, what kind of money do you think he is gona want for someone to sign him? It would be interesting to see what kind of coin he is gonna get, without ever proving himself in the NFL to this point in his career.
              I think if we wait and Shelton is released, he won't have much choice other than to take what he can get. No one is offering anything now, so I wouldn't expect much after June 1.
              If we trade TH to get into the first and it is with another team besides Arizona, you can bet that Shelton is a June 1 cap casualty. Maybe that's what TD is planning.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                Maybe?
                • Oct 2003

I think if we wait and Shelton is released, he won't have much choice other than to take what he can get. No one is offering anything now, so I wouldn't expect much after June 1.
                If we trade TH to get into the first and it is with another team besides Arizona, you can bet that Shelton is a June 1 cap casualty. Maybe that's what TD is planning.
                You're right, but that also is a concern for me. If nobody else wants him, how good can he really be? We still don't have a proven LT and that will be very bad for JP and the team's success next season if we don't get one.

Comment

• jpdex12
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                  You're right, but that also is a concern for me. If nobody else wants him, how good can he really be? We still don't have a proven LT and that will be very bad for JP and the team's success next season if we don't get one.
                  I know brother, I was thinking that too but if the Bills were interested in him initially, then McNally had to see something in him that he thought that he could work with. I trust him, he's got the record to prove it. Maybe that's what some other teams are waiting for also.

Comment

• HurryUpTom
                    • Mar 2005

That's a big gamble considering June 1st is more than a month after the draft. If we're planning on getting shelton as a free agent at that time, we'd skip an OT and maybe even OL altogether in the draft ... then why does Green cut Shelton? He knows that if we don't get him, we're screwed.

We hold the cards until the draft ... after that point, we either pick up an OL, in which case, we may not need Shelton, so who cares how much he costs ... or else we hold out for Shelton and end up desperate.

Comment

• jpdex12
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by HurryUpTom
                      That's a big gamble considering June 1st is more than a month after the draft. If we're planning on getting shelton as a free agent at that time, we'd skip an OT and maybe even OL altogether in the draft ... then why does Green cut Shelton? He knows that if we don't get him, we're screwed.

We hold the cards until the draft ... after that point, we either pick up an OL, in which case, we may not need Shelton, so who cares how much he costs ... or else we hold out for Shelton and end up desperate.
                      As per TD's interview today at the draft luncheon he feels that Buffalo is able to roll with what we currently have. They may have to move a player or two around, but it will work. I think that TD feels more comfortable than we think with the o-line right now. He mentioned that Gandy and Peters are working at that position in the off season workouts. I know that that isn't saying much now, but they know more than we do and they seemed pretty picky about which FA lineman they were going to jump on so we may be suprised to see who our next LT is.
                      We also have the draft to pick up our LT. Not a LT that could start game one, but one that could be worked in midway through the season. I think that we could go with what we have now. Hell, when Marcus Price filled in for JJ last year, it wasn't too awful bad and Price is no one special.

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

I think that we could go with what we have now. Hell, when Marcus Price filled in for JJ last year, it wasn't too awful bad and Price is no one special.
                        One could even argue that with Price in there, we didn't miss a beat... which made me wonder when they didn't try to keep him - I haven't been online in a while, did we finally resign Price?

Comment

• The_Philster
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JJamezz
                          One could even argue that with Price in there, we didn't miss a beat... which made me wonder when they didn't try to keep him - I haven't been online in a while, did we finally resign Price?
                          nope
                          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• BillsFan-N-AZ
                            • Apr 2005

Any feedback guys?
                            My thoughts are if we do package Henry with our 2nd we could move into the 1st round to grab a corner but subsequently (and I would hate to see him go) trade Clement for a 2nd this year and a 1st next. We could then address the OL (Bass) in the 2nd and WR (Matt Jones) in the third (Although there's plenty of hype I think he'll still be around in the 3rd). I love Clement but just don't think we are going to be able to pay him next year. IMO Shelton will be release because TD will stand firm with his request for the 44th pick (and rightfully so), if Greene doesn't bite we'll pick up Shelton after June 1. I know alot of things have to happen for this to to take place, it's just one of many scenarios.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                              Too sober for this...
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by BillsFan-N-AZ
                              My thoughts are if we do package Henry with our 2nd we could move into the 1st round to grab a corner but subsequently (and I would hate to see him go) trade Clement for a 2nd this year and a 1st next. We could then address the OL (Bass) in the 2nd and WR (Matt Jones) in the third (Although there's plenty of hype I think he'll still be around in the 3rd). I love Clement but just don't think we are going to be able to pay him next year. IMO Shelton will be release because TD will stand firm with his request for the 44th pick (and rightfully so), if Greene doesn't bite we'll pick up Shelton after June 1. I know alot of things have to happen for this to to take place, it's just one of many scenarios.
                              Ummm...if we were to trade NC for a 2nd this year and a 1st next, we'd need to get a top CB for his spot with the 1st or 2nd pick!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X