PDA

View Full Version : Dillon signed two-year extension with Pats...

lordofgun
04-11-2005, 06:08 PM
...just saw it on ESPNNEWS.

The Spaz
04-11-2005, 06:09 PM
I could give a rats ass.:moon:

thebuffalobills4
04-11-2005, 06:24 PM
once again,the pats are wasting money. :shocked:

Ickybaluky
04-11-2005, 07:04 PM
once again,the pats are wasting money. :shocked:

Yeah, it is truly awful that the Patriots are never among the tops in the NFL in cap room.

I guess they'll just have to console themselves with those Super Bowl championships.

The Spaz
04-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Yeah, it is truly awful that the Patriots are never among the tops in the NFL in cap room.

I guess they'll just have to console themselves with those Super Bowl championships.

In past tense is correct because they won't be getting another in the near future.:up:

AndreReed83
04-11-2005, 07:10 PM

lol

Even as a Bills fan, gotta give ya that one.

Devin
04-11-2005, 07:11 PM

I really hate that he can say that.

Tatonka
04-12-2005, 12:25 AM
again.. great move by the pats.. ****ers.

The Natrix
04-12-2005, 12:33 AM

:ill:

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-12-2005, 08:52 AM
I couldn't give less of a ****.

Tatonka
04-12-2005, 09:23 AM
I couldn't give less of a ****.

you should.. because the team that they are keeping together is the team that has just handed us our ass for years, barring that fluke at the beginning of 2003.

Michael82
04-12-2005, 10:34 AM
**** the Pats!!! :mad:

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-12-2005, 11:05 AM
you should.. because the team that they are keeping together is the team that has just handed us our ass for years, barring that fluke at the beginning of 2003.

I think the reason I don't care is that Dillon doesn't scare me.

Yes, he is a very good back, but I don't think he is head and shoulders above 90% of the other backs we face.

I honestly don't believe that the Pats have any more (or even as much) talent than we do....it's just that they somehow find ways to keep everybody pointed in the same direction almost all the time. It's sickening.

Tatonka
04-12-2005, 11:57 AM
dillon should scare you though.. that is my point.. he had 1500 yards last season.. he scored on us.. he was a key in them winning the game.. i would much rather he walk and they go with the scrub running backs that they won superbowls with before.

Ickybaluky
04-12-2005, 12:14 PM
I think the reason I don't care is that Dillon doesn't scare me.

Yes, he is a very good back, but I don't think he is head and shoulders above 90% of the other backs we face.

I honestly don't believe that the Pats have any more (or even as much) talent than we do....it's just that they somehow find ways to keep everybody pointed in the same direction almost all the time. It's sickening.

Right, they don't have better talent, but they have won 3 of the past 4 Super Bowls while Buffalo has struggled to get to .500. Makes sense.

Last year, Dillon ran for over 1600 yards in 15 games. Against the Buffalo defense, he put up the following numbers in 2 games:

45 carries, 230 yards (5.1 ypc), 1 TD.

Just for good measure, he added in 4 receptions for 28 yards, and proved to be one of the best in the NFL at blitz pickup.

But, 90% of the backs you face are better than that?

ryjam282
04-12-2005, 12:17 PM
I have to go with NE39 on this one. This is a great move by the Pats. They will be solid for a few more years to come. They just fill the holes they have and keep on rolling. Nice job on there part, Dillon is a pretty damn solid RB.

thebuffalobills4
04-12-2005, 03:47 PM

gez sorrry.but based on their signings,they did not need a few people because they got players whom step up on that team and do not deserve
to start?what?thats just f***ed up.ex bethel johnson.deserves to start at the slot.randell gay and #22,both are great corners but do deserve a shot at the starting spot.come on.
here are the pats signings:
wr #80 from the bears,no point of having him.
cb duane starks?why him,they already got a great corner duo.
if you disagree with me don't neg me.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Right, they don't have better talent, but they have won 3 of the past 4 Super Bowls while Buffalo has struggled to get to .500. Makes sense.

Last year, Dillon ran for over 1600 yards in 15 games. Against the Buffalo defense, he put up the following numbers in 2 games:

45 carries, 230 yards (5.1 ypc), 1 TD.

Just for good measure, he added in 4 receptions for 28 yards, and proved to be one of the best in the NFL at blitz pickup.

But, 90% of the backs you face are better than that?

First....no I am not saying that the Pats aren't a better team than the Bills. They are, without a doubt. I am saying that man for man, the Bills have at least as much, if not more, talent than the Pats. That doesn't mean that the Bills can put it all together, game plan, execute, etc like the Pats can.
I think it shows just how great this Pats team is/was in that they get the most out of everyone on the roster. If the Bills could put everything together like the Pats have, they would be great too.....but teams just don't get that formula very often.

Second......I know you like your running back, and I am not trying to belittle him. Read my prior comments carefully...I said that Dillon does not scare me....and honestly there are only a couple of players in the NFL that do.
You'll be happy to know that one of your boys, Tom Brady scares me. I just don't know how you can beat him. He is too cool, too poised, too in control.....the Steelers rattled his cage last year once.....but you didn't see that happen again...I also said that Dillon is not head and shoulders above 90% of the other backs we face....doesn't mean he isn't better....just not that much better.
My point is that although Dillon is a very good back....likely one of the top 5 in the league.....I don't see him as being enough better than his peers that he, by himself, scares me. I respect him, I know he is a threat, but not any more than other very good backs. Does that make sense?
Finally-I don't base my opinions on stats alone....while they are informative, they very often don't tell the whole story.

Ickybaluky
04-12-2005, 10:15 PM
First....no I am not saying that the Pats aren't a better team than the Bills. They are, without a doubt. I am saying that man for man, the Bills have at least as much, if not more, talent than the Pats. That doesn't mean that the Bills can put it all together, game plan, execute, etc like the Pats can.
I think it shows just how great this Pats team is/was in that they get the most out of everyone on the roster. If the Bills could put everything together like the Pats have, they would be great too.....but teams just don't get that formula very often.

Second......I know you like your running back, and I am not trying to belittle him. Read my prior comments carefully...I said that Dillon does not scare me....and honestly there are only a couple of players in the NFL that do.
You'll be happy to know that one of your boys, Tom Brady scares me. I just don't know how you can beat him. He is too cool, too poised, too in control.....the Steelers rattled his cage last year once.....but you didn't see that happen again...I also said that Dillon is not head and shoulders above 90% of the other backs we face....doesn't mean he isn't better....just not that much better.
My point is that although Dillon is a very good back....likely one of the top 5 in the league.....I don't see him as being enough better than his peers that he, by himself, scares me. I respect him, I know he is a threat, but not any more than other very good backs. Does that make sense?
Finally-I don't base my opinions on stats alone....while they are informative, they very often don't tell the whole story.

I'll agree Dillon isn't a top-5 back, but what he brought to the Patriots cannot be understated. You say you don't like stats, which is fine. Then look at what Dillon did to the Patriots offense. He made Brady better, opening up the downfield passing game. The Pats were no longer a dink-and-dunk team last year, they threw the ball downfield with success. The reason for that is Dillon, who brought balance to their offense. With Dillon, Brady was better and the Pats jumped to a top-5 offense.

Look at his consistency. Dillon had 10 (of 15) 100-yard games. He had 85 or more yards in all but 2 games. He was the workhorse that kept teams honest, making play-action a bigger weapon for the Patriots. That doesn't even get into his blitz pickup, which was outstanding and allowed Brady the time to make some of those big plays downfield in the passing game.

So you don't like stats, well then take the eyeball test. I watched all the Patriots games, and Dillon did the dirty work all year long. The guy was a terror to defenses, punishing tacklers and making the Patriots one of the most balanced teams in the NFL.

Do you fear that? Maybe not. But it wins games.

As for the difference between the Pats and Bills rosters, I think depth is a big thing. The Pats are very deep in their front-7. When healthy, they are deep in the secondary. They are deep at WR and TE. Granted, they are thin at QB, RB and OL (although they have better depth this coming year), but top-to-bottom they have guys on their roster who contribute in valuable roles towards winning football games. I think that is the difference right now.

Devin
04-12-2005, 10:27 PM
1600 yards a season with 10+ TD's on the ground scares me.

Love him or hate him he is a punishing back.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-12-2005, 11:10 PM
I hate to say it, but Dillon is a very good, very consistent back who makes the Pats better.

I didn't think that much of him prior to last season, but I had him on my FFL team and rode him, E.James and B.Westbrook to the championship game (got killed in it because James and Westbrook were rested Wk 17). In the process I came to appreciate just how much Dillon contributed to the Pats' success--the guy set franchise records for rushing and yards from scrimmage for a RB and became more of a factor in their offense as the season progressed. I think that it's a good move for them to lock him up the way that they have.

According to the article on msnbc.com, the deal is for two years with options for up to five years which will allow the Pats to keep Dillon for as long as they feel that he is capable of playing at a high level. The only part of the deal that might be a negative for the Pats is that it pays Dillon $ 10 million over the next two years. With those kinds of numbers and what they will have to give to T.Brady to keep him happy, it may limit the Pats' ability to keep some of their other young players who have made major contributions to their success down the road. But, in the meantime, Dillon gives them a running game that will have to be respected.