PDA

View Full Version : Some stats to digest

LtBillsFan66
12-11-2002, 12:10 AM
Offense:
Buffalo has the 6th ranked offense (yardage wise) gaining 371.2 yards per game.
Buffalo has the 22nd ranked rushing offense (yardage wise) gaining 99.9 yards per game.
Buffalo has the 2nd ranked passing offense (yardage wise) gaining 271.3 yards per game.
Buffalo has the 6th ranked offense points wise getting 25.5.
Buffalo is ranked 11th with 21 giveaways (13 ints, 8 fumbles)
Buffalo is ranked 13th with 13 interceptions.
Buffalo is ranked 12th with 8 fumbles.

Defense:
Buffalo has the 17th ranked defense (yardage wise) giving up 333.9 yards per game.
Buffalo has the 31st ranked run defense (yardage wise) giving up 138.7 yards per game.
Buffalo has the 7th ranked pass defense (yardage wise) giving up 195.2 yards per game.
Buffalo has the 31st ranked defense (points wise) giving up 28.1 points per game.
Buffalo is dead last in the league with only 14 takeaways (6 ints, 8 fumbles).
Buffalo is tied for dead last in the league with 6 interceptions.
Buffalo is ranked 23rd with 8 fumbles recoveries.

Buffalo is ranked 26th in giveaway/takeaway margin with a –7.

Romes
12-11-2002, 12:13 AM
You know what jumps out at me?

The fact that we have the 6th ranked scoring offense and the fact we have the 31st ranked points allowed defense. How can anyone say that our offense stinks? I'll take a top 10 offense every year.

Good find BF1

northernbillfan
12-11-2002, 05:08 AM
I know a stat that bugs me...

3-17 vs the AFC in our last 20.

SABURZFAN
12-11-2002, 07:19 AM
our run defense stinks.we'll need to get that addressed in the offseason.

WNYnut
12-11-2002, 07:37 AM
First and foremost, our defense needs re-vamping. The only situation where we played well defensively this season is when opposing team players we're having off days and the Bills were able to capitalize (Ray Lucas making bad passes, Ricky Wiliams fumbling, to a lesser extent Tom Brady forgetting how to throw the ball in the last NE game). I have no worries on the offensive side of the ball regardless of whether we lose Peerless or not. Regarding Perless' attitude and demeanor, be patient people. Eric Moulds had to the same growing pains, but turned out alright. I feel it would be wise to do everything in our power to keep him. Although if we lose him, I'm confident that Josh Reed is 100% capable of taking his spot. One last thing on the offensive side, Travis, hold on to the damn ball. On the defensive side of the ball, I think we all can agree that good defense starts with a pass rush. Regardless of how good your corners are, (I still feel we have two of the better corners in the league) it makes no difference if you have no pass rush. Allowing an opposing quarterback to sit in the pocket all day is a recipe for disaster and no defense can defend a good quarterback who has all the time in the world to find a receiver. I may receive death threats for this, but what I wouldn't give to have Wade back in town only as a defensive coordinator. Yes, I'm looking forward to the '03 Bills, but changes must be had, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Judge
12-11-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by CalBillsFan
You know what jumps out at me?

The fact that we have the 6th ranked scoring offense and the fact we have the 31st ranked points allowed defense. How can anyone say that our offense stinks? I'll take a top 10 offense every year.

Good find BF1

Exactly. Only a total know-nothing would argue otherwise.

Judge
12-11-2002, 09:06 AM
What also must be considered is that if the D would have done more to help the offense (a few more turnovers, a few more three-and-outs, etc., then the offense would have had more and better opportunities to produce even more than it has.

Someone (we'll call him Wys) suggested that the play of the defense has nothing to do with the play of the offense. Ridiculous- the Bills have proven that false this year. Whenever the D has done anything remotely helpful the Bills have won based on the offense capitalizing.

itsandthings
12-11-2002, 09:58 AM
Nobody denies that the Bills have a very good offense. However, it is a little silly to look at total points and surmise that everything is fine. If you look at the last 5 games, the offense has been poor in 4 of them. That is a trend that can not be denied.

Teams, other than Miami, are following the formula where you play cover-2 and 3-deep to deny the big play and bring pressure up the middle. The Bills offense has yet to show they can deal with that. Sure, the Buffalo offense will rack up passing yardage, but that is meaningless if they can't score points.

The Bills haven't shown they can't sustain long drives without committing mistakes, and that has little to do with the defense. Sure, the defense sucks, but that doesn't mean the offense is great. It is a little more complicated than just fixing the defense. As great as Henry has played, teams are still going to play cover-2 and 3-deep coverages. Sure, that will open up the running game more, but when Buffalo has been forced to work the ball downfield they have committed errors (penalties and turnovers) which keep them from scoring a lot of points. Unless that is rectified, their offense is going to struggle.

Face it, when teams limit the big plays, Buffalo's offense struggles to put points on the board.

Cntrygal
12-11-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by northernbillfan
I know a stat that bugs me...

3-17 vs the AFC in our last 20.

I hate this stat! :(

LtBillsFan66
12-11-2002, 01:32 PM
I think takeaways is the most damaging stat on the list!

And yes on top of that, the stats show that the D is the major problem!

Romes
12-11-2002, 01:59 PM
This is another horrible stat.

The Bills defense has recorded neither a sack nor a turnover in eight of the team's 13 games this season.

LtBillsFan66
12-11-2002, 02:24 PM
Yep Cal. I think the lack of turnovers is caused by the lack of any kind of pass rush.

LtBillsFan66
12-11-2002, 02:27 PM
In the games we scored the least points, look at the sacks and turnovers. I think the offense is producing fine. They just haven't been given any more opportunities by the D (like the D did in the two Miami games).

LtBillsFan66
12-11-2002, 02:30 PM
Buffalo is ranked 24th in sacks with 24 sacks.

Rebecky
12-11-2002, 03:02 PM
And we are to believe, then, that's it's all because we have no talent on D -- that all these other NFL teams have more talent on D than Buffalo? I think not.

ArcticWildMan
12-11-2002, 03:39 PM
We have plenty of talent on our Defense. We have a coach/DC who are trying to run a system that highlights our weaknesses rather than our strengths.

DraftBoy
12-11-2002, 05:54 PM
whats our strengths? Two good CB, an average LB crew, crappy line and crappy S?