PDA

View Full Version : Why our offense has been struggling?

WG
12-11-2002, 05:31 AM
It's very clear that our offense has struggled over the past 6 or 7 games and has fallen from it's formerly #1 perch to currently #6 yardage wise and scoring wise. But what's the reason for the poor performance of the offense? Point wise lately.

Ie., why can't this offense by-and-large seem to, except under the most bizarre of circumstances, put up more than 17 or 20 points when it should be putting up into the 30s, especially against teams that do not have top ranked defenses, and in the case of say K.C., near last!

SABURZFAN
12-11-2002, 07:15 AM
Gee Dubya

he's the HC,isn't he?he should have some input on what to have gilbride call.

Cntrygal
12-11-2002, 12:14 PM
Where's "stress from the lack of "D" " and "1st year they all played together" choices?

lunatic_bills_fan
12-11-2002, 12:55 PM
The way I look at it wys, sure a #1 offence would be great to have, but I will definitely settle for #6. If you couple a #6 offence with say a #12 or up ranked defence, then you have a contender. I think with a more blanced attack we may be able to acheive a top 5 spot in the offence, but until the D comes out of the basement, doesnt matter if we have a #1 O.

lordofgun
12-11-2002, 12:56 PM
GW was the one who punted at the 32, and he was the one who thought a 4th and inches was a 4th and 2.

Judge
12-11-2002, 12:57 PM
None of the above- this is just another typical Wys straw argument to limit the debate so that he's always right.

Dr Phil
12-11-2002, 12:58 PM
Where is the choice for "Peanut Vendor"?

Ebenezer
12-11-2002, 12:58 PM
I don't feel the offense has struggled that much. Teams have figured out what we are doing and except for the 2 Miami games the O always has to go the distance. They would be better off if they could get the field shortened now and then.

Judge
12-11-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
I don't feel the offense has struggled that much. Teams have figured out what we are doing and except for the 2 Miami games the O always has to go the distance. They would be better off if they could get the field shortened now and then.

Absolutely. That means that the defense's play has a direct impact on the efficiency of the offense- a foreign concept to Wys! Who else shortens the field except the play of the D/ST?

lordofgun
12-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

Exactly right!

wys:shutit:judge

Rude American
12-11-2002, 01:30 PM
I think it's just bad karma holding us back. That or the coaching staff.

WG
12-11-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Judge
None of the above- this is just another typical Wys straw argument to limit the debate so that he's always right.

WAH!

LOL :D

;)

WG
12-11-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by lunatic_bills_fan
The way I look at it wys, sure a #1 offence would be great to have, but I will definitely settle for #6. If you couple a #6 offence with say a #12 or up ranked defence, then you have a contender. I think with a more blanced attack we may be able to acheive a top 5 spot in the offence, but until the D comes out of the basement, doesnt matter if we have a #1 O.

Indeed! But our O isn't playing like the #6 O right now. That's what I've been trying to communicate over the past weeks. Over our last 7 games, our O is only playing to a #22 level from a points scored perspective. I'm not even gonna bother running the yardage ranking since yardage is insignificant if you can't put points up. Besides, the higher it would be, that would only mean that the more inefficient our O is anyway. So that's moot.

4thAndLong
12-11-2002, 07:18 PM
Gilbride, and D.

mybills
12-11-2002, 09:33 PM
Your QB has to WANT to win.
EVERY game, not just SOME games.

Jman
12-11-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
Where's "stress from the lack of D&quot

I would vote that.

Novacane
12-11-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by mybills
Your QB has to WANT to win.
EVERY game, not just SOME games.

What the heck makes you say Drew only wants to win some of the time?

Jman
12-11-2002, 09:48 PM
:lol:

LtBillsFan66
12-11-2002, 11:02 PM
No turnovers by our D to give our O some more scoring opportunities.

mybills
12-12-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6

What the heck makes you say Drew only wants to win some of the time?

I'm only going by what I saw live, and what I saw on the tape when I got home.

I've always said he has tunnel vision, been told the excuse that I can't see everything on tv and that he holds on to the ball so long because he has nobody open to throw to. Well, it's official. I saw it live this time and he DOES have tunnel vision. He had guys open and uncovered throughout the game, and he does NOT look around. He did the same thing in NE. You can't possibly think a coach tells him to do that, can you? He also threw the ball higher in just about every other game. But not against NE. Look what throwing low got us in this game. How many times was the ball tipped/intercepted? He wasn't rushed every time he threw it short or over either. Maybe he wasn't trying to do these things on purpose, maybe it's all a coincidence. But something's not right when he didn't do that the week before against Miami. I don't accept the excuse that Miami isn't as good of a team. Had he thrown it the same way in that game, Dolphin hands would have been all over the ball too. To sum it up...yes, he played for NE not the Bills! He played for the Bills and not Miami.
Sorry, just my opinion.

mybills
12-12-2002, 09:03 AM
btw, this should be a multiple choice poll. Coaching is horrendous too.

Novacane
12-12-2002, 09:45 AM
MyBills....................so you think he intentionally sucked in the NE games? NO WAY! Drew can't stand Bellichek! He would want to beat him more than anyother team IMO. Bellichek just knows Drews weakness and exploited them,

TedMock
12-12-2002, 03:14 PM
The problem with everybody wanting to get rid of Williams is that the players don't seem to feel that way. They're not publicly bashing him as was done with the old regime. They always seem to stick up for him and they've never laid down and gave up. Is there something we don't know since we only see Sundays? Is he a great coach 6 days a week and just a bad game coach? This is a good possibility ie. Wade Philips and Norv Turner. They were great coordinators and still are but neither was any good as the head guy. Maybe it's not GW at all, maybe it's JG or KG. I'm not sold on GW at all but I'm not convinced that it's all his fault either. People always blame the head coach first but they don't necessarily make the play calling decisions. I have a good friend who played ball at Florida State and he told me flat out that Bobby Bowden recruits..period. He does no play calling in the games and does not run any of the drills in practice. He has the right people working for him. Maybe that's our problem. I don't know but it's something to think about.

mybills
12-13-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
MyBills....................so you think he intentionally sucked in the NE games? NO WAY! Drew can't stand Bellichek! He would want to beat him more than anyother team IMO. Bellichek just knows Drews weakness and exploited them,

Yes. I think that.
He got a standing ovation when he came onto the field, there were love signs hanging all over the place, you couldn't tell if a lot of Pats fans were Pats fans or Bills fans, because all you saw was #11 jerseys being worn by both teams fans. I'm sure he was feeling really loved, and he let his emotions decide the outcome.

He's too loved...
Two bills fans stopped me on my way back to my seat and asked me what I thought. I said the coaching sucks and so does Drew. Every Pats fan within hearing distance boo'd me. I laughed & said, "I can dis my QB if I want to" and walked away.

Then on the way out of the place all the Pats fan said he played for NE too. It's sad how they were thinking the same thing as me, but it was achingly true. Billichek had no more to do with his performance than did KG or GW as far as not looking around the field and throwing everywhere but where he should be throwing. It was all Drew's doing.

As for the coaching, I now call them "4th and duh"
..nuff said. :gag:

TedMock
12-13-2002, 03:14 PM
He did not play poorly on purpose. c'mon really. I agree that he had a bad game but he didn't throw it because he got all emotional about the NE fans. They were down by 20 points and he forced some bad passes. He shouldn't have. Did Peyton Manning purposely throw 3 picks last week? Did Brett Favre purposely throw 4 against Tampa? I doubt it. I'm not saying he's Brett Favre. I'm just saying that players, even the best, have bad games filled with bad decisions. To accuse him of joining the ranks of the 1909 White (Black) Sox is not fair at this point.

Marcos20
12-13-2002, 06:32 PM
i dont feel that our offense has been strugiln so much ..
the miami game was won by the offense... tremendous play , and agains NE (Except for the Turnovers) we had like 400 offensive yards...