PDA

View Full Version : The more I think about Shelton...

Earthquake Enyart
04-13-2005, 09:22 AM
The more I wonder why we want him at all.

A high draft pick who is a washout AND and attitude problem when playing for a crappy team? Who needs that?

I think I'd rather have a 3rd rounder for Henry than a poor tackle.

ryjam282
04-13-2005, 09:24 AM
He didn't have an attitude problem. He came to camp overweight, I thought? Either way, he is a tackle. We need one.

OpIv37
04-13-2005, 09:54 AM
He didn't have an attitude problem. He came to camp overweight, I thought? Either way, he is a tackle. We need one.

exactly- I'd rather have a LT with an attitude problem that we need than an RB with an attitude problem whom we don't need. It's too risky to try to find a starting O-lineman in the draft.

EE- if we don't get Shelton, what would you do about the LT situation?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Yep, don't get confused about his attitude....he is a great team player....not an attitude problem in the least. He was injured at the end of the 2003 season, came to camp in 2004 overweight, and Denny Green didn't like that....Would you call Mike Williams a washout? Really about the same situation as Shelton.

I think if we get Shelton, fans will be very happy with him.

It comes down to this for Shelton---worst case---would you rather have a disgruntled backup RB for one more year, or a motivated and happy backup LT for three years?

Give me a good backup (at the worst) at a very important position for three years over one year any day.

Odds are, he won't be a backup either....

mysticsoto
04-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Well, I don't know if this is just TD saying this to get an upper position in the bargaining, but he doesn't seem to think Shelton is good enough to start for us. And apparently they currently have Gandy penciled in as our LT starter, with TT being the backup plan to start at LT if need be. You can't really pencil anyone down completely b'cse the draft could also change things depending on who's available.

I'm lukewarm on Shelton and want something else besides a straight up trade on him. I'd much rather focus on getting a strong, big stud Center from the draft and then move TT to LT.

Before you TT haters dismiss this, here me out. I think everyone here believes MW and CV are solid at the right side. If we get a solid Center that can push a NT out of the way...Bennie Anderson (at LG) should be a solid Guard that can push people out of the way also. That just leaves LT. If we feel TT can't push a LT out of the way (although a DE will be lighter than a DT so maybe he can), we can always run in all the other directions. That gives McGahee alot of room. To the right, up the middle or just slightly left. It'll be more than he had last year, where he could only cut back to the right. On passing, if TT has trouble, we can place a TE of a FB on the left side to help out also. Although TT will probably have an easier time with passing plays vs running plays.

And this could be temporary depending on how quickly Jason Peters develops himself. Once he gets the blocking techniques down, I expect Peters to be a formidable LT for years to come. He has all the physical skills and quickness - he should be able to defend the pass and yet be strong enough to help out against the run also. We can even use him within the endzone to possibly catch some touchdowns...

But I think having that stud Center makes 4/5 of the line stronger (that's 80%) and TT might be a slight weak link on the left side - but again, you can help out with TEs, FBs and just going away from that side to alleviate any weakness until Peters is ready to contribute.

gr8slayer
04-13-2005, 10:54 AM
I'd be willing to bet that Losman and Willis wont care about his "attitude problem"