PDA

View Full Version : Arena silence speaks volumes about Regier

Don Cherry
12-11-2002, 09:22 AM
By BOB DICESARE
Buffalo News
12/11/2002

Look around, Darcy Regier. Look around at what you've wrought.
Behold row after row of vacant blue seats, for a game that's radio only, with many tickets available two for the price of one.

Put a hand to your ear, ye of the six-year contract, and listen. Listen to the silence.

It's 10 minutes before opening faceoff, and the anticipation's building. Can't you tell? Rob Ray's announced as a scratch, and there's a lone, distant cheer. Missed the original? Sit tight. Here comes the echo.

Doug Allen emerges to belt out the anthems, and who can help but feel for the guy? It's like singing in the shower. Allen would have found more atmosphere this Tuesday night working a hotel lounge in Stickville. Just one request. Play Misty for me. Because these are the saddest of times.

The attendance is announced as 9,966, lowest since the opening of HSBC Arena. And there's no debating the accuracy of the figure so long as it's Count One/Add One Night at the turnstiles. Won't be long before Sabres attendance is on par with a Drew Bledsoe pep rally. Or indoor soccer, of all things.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20021211/3023780.asp

Don Cherry
12-11-2002, 09:27 AM
OUCH!!!

My favorite line.... Well, Darcy, your boy Tim Connolly played some on a line with Eric Boulton on Tuesday night, which begs the question: Who was in the doghouse, Connolly or Boulton?

Sabre Ally
12-11-2002, 11:23 AM
:rofl: It would have been nice if they'd publicized the fact that it wasn't on television a little more.........I didn't find out until about 10 minutes before the game started. I would have gone, had I known.

Dozerdog
12-11-2002, 11:58 AM
I heard the Sabres bought 10 TV commercials Tuesday night during the Ottawa Game advertising to come down to the Arena to watch, since the game wont be on TV...

Ebenezer
12-11-2002, 12:34 PM
I was there...actual attendance was probably no more than 7000. The team is pitiful...even McKee and Warraner look bad. There really wasn't a good player last night...Captain Stu was invisible.

clumping platelets
12-11-2002, 10:14 PM
:sadwalk: