PDA

View Full Version : Clements Fate

B-DON
04-13-2005, 06:33 PM
For all you people not wanting to resign Clements lets just wait and see how he does against the games best wideout, Randy Moss. I say if he shuts him down then offer him what he wants or lose out on a top 3, if not the best cb in the game right now inmo. If he lays an egg then offer him fair market and hope he takes it or time to move on. Either way i think we will get acb somewhere in this draft, hopefully later than earlier. Well just wanted to throw this out there. let me here your guys opinon on this one

THATHURMANATOR
04-13-2005, 06:34 PM
I say we extend his contract now.

Devin
04-13-2005, 06:38 PM
if we can afford it do it now.

RetroRaiders81
04-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Even if he does cover Moss, they have alot more recievers to cover. I think they should definitly re-sign him.

Ed
04-13-2005, 06:46 PM
One game doesn't make or break a career...

B-DON
04-13-2005, 06:50 PM
of course i want to resign him now. i was basically saying if we dont resign him now then i would factor in this match up hugely no matter how well he did

B-DON
04-13-2005, 06:58 PM

it does make or break number 1 cb money in the league though doesnt it? we all know clements will have a huge career but right now all i care about is how much we pay him and if he is worth #1 cb in the league money.

Crisis
04-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Moss is a top-5 talent ever in the league. It's not fair to base someone's career or abilities on one game against him.

But, the more I think about it, we need to lock C-Ment up. He's still progressing and will be the best corner next year if he isn't it already. Especially with Bailey struggling.

Ed
04-13-2005, 07:13 PM
it does make or break number 1 cb money in the league though doesnt it? we all know clements will have a huge career but right now all i care about is how much we pay him and if he is worth #1 cb in the league money.

It'll definitely be an interesting match-up if it works out, but if Nate has a huge year, like 10+ INT's or whatever, he's going to be able to demand and get one of the biggest CB contracts in the league. I don't think anyone is going to base his salary on one game. I mean I watched Champ Bailey get torched by Porter and the Raiders left and right last year, but there are still plenty of teams that would be willing to pay him what he's getting.

I don't know, I'm not saying it's not important how he plays against Moss, but I don't think it'll be the deciding factor in anything.

gobuffalo2007
04-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Even if he does cover Moss, they have alot more recievers to cover. I think they should definitly re-sign him.

everyone stop making this kid happy with your raider talk.
I never hear the end of it in his messages.

B-DON
04-13-2005, 07:16 PM
who the hell is basing clements career on one game. Im not. All i am saying is i dont want to give clements champ bailey money and watch him get burnt all year, simple and plain. i know clements will have a huge career so shut up with the basing his career on one game

B-DON
04-13-2005, 07:26 PM
would anybody here pay that much for champ bailey again after they saw him get lit up all year? if so let me hear it cuz i sure as hell wouldnt pay him that much. i would of rather paid winfeild than bailey

Billscusey
04-13-2005, 08:02 PM
I completely agree, our team takes a huge step backwards without him!

Michael82
04-13-2005, 08:20 PM
As much as I'd hate to see it....I wouldn't be surprised if the phonecalls that TD got about moving into the first round were teams interested in Nate Clements. It's a tiny chance, but there is still a chance that he may get traded on draft day. We move up into the 1st round and draft one of those top CBs, and then get another day 1 pick too.

RetroRaiders81
04-13-2005, 09:08 PM
I mean I watched Champ Bailey get torched by Porter and the Raiders left and right last year.
Champ who?
http://www.glowfoto.com/images/2004/12/02-144722T.gif

And thats there 4th reciever Gabriel.

LtFinFan66
04-13-2005, 10:06 PM
For all you people not wanting to resign Clements lets just wait and see how he does against the games best wideout, Randy Moss. I say if he shuts him down then offer him what he wants or lose out on a top 3, if not the best cb in the game right now inmo. If he lays an egg then offer him fair market and hope he takes it or time to move on. Either way i think we will get acb somewhere in this draft, hopefully later than earlier. Well just wanted to throw this out there. let me here your guys opinon on this one
What happens Oct 23rd that figures in his fate?

Meathead
04-13-2005, 10:17 PM
As much as I'd hate to see it....I wouldn't be surprised if the phonecalls that TD got about moving into the first round were teams interested in Nate Clements. It's a tiny chance, but there is still a chance that he may get traded on draft day. We move up into the 1st round and draft one of those top CBs, and then get another day 1 pick too.
Get Law to play for another year or more while the new guy is groomed. I could live with that.

EDS
04-14-2005, 08:01 AM

As much as that sounds like a soft landing for the Bills, I rather just keep Clements.

dannyek71
04-14-2005, 11:52 AM

I agree

Michael82
04-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Get Law to play for another year or more while the new guy is groomed. I could live with that.
That's what I was thinking. If we trade Clements to get a first rounder...TD will then sign Ty Law to like a 2 year contract or something like that, to start this year and help groom the rookie.

jamze132
04-14-2005, 05:09 PM
I say trade him. First of all, there is no guaruntee that he would even resign here, second, even if we can afford him, what about resigning McGahee in a couple of years? He's not going to be cheap. If we trade Clements, we should definitely receive a high 1st rounder and another conditional pick depending on how high the 1st round pick is. If we get a first round pick for this years draft, we could do a lot of different things with it. If we are able to get Alex Barron with the pick, I say do it! If we can't get a top guy that we want, we can trade down ot trade it for next years draft. I think, if we didn't pick a CB with the pick, we could get Ty Law for a year or two until we find his replacement.

I just think it would be best for the future of the Buffalo Bills to trade him now while we can. Again, theres no way to know if we can afford him or even if he wants to play here after next year.

John Doe
04-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Clements? Gotta keep him this year if we want to make a run at the superbowl.

LtFinFan66
04-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Clements? Gotta keep him this year if we want to make a run at the superbowl.
In that case, go ahead and get what you can for him. Superbowl with a QB who has never started an NFL game is gonna be a tough road to travel.

ShadowHawk7
04-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Good point, but the Steelers did it last year. We have a equal, if not better, defense, plus better Special Teams, plus stars in Evans, McGahee, and Moulds on offense. If the Oline steps it up and Losman has similar production to Big Ben, we can definitley get as close as they did, if not get farther. At least we have much better chance than the Finnies.

John Doe
04-14-2005, 09:44 PM
In that case, go ahead and get what you can for him. Superbowl with a QB who has never started an NFL game is gonna be a tough road to travel.

Giving up on the season before it starts is a loser's menality.

LtFinFan66
04-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Giving up on the season before it starts is a loser's menality.I said nothing about giving up on the season. Just that the Superbowl is gonna be a tough road with JP. Yes my Homer mentality sees the Fins going to the Superbowl with AJ and a new RB but my realistic side peeks out from behind my Aqua and Orange colored glasses and sees perhaps 8-8.

ps. It may not be a losers mentality, but a realist mentality.

Slim
04-14-2005, 10:30 PM
I said nothing about giving up on the season. Just that the Superbowl is gonna be a tough road with JP. Yes my Homer mentality sees the Fins going to the Superbowl with AJ and a new RB but my realistic side peeks out from behind my Aqua and Orange colored glasses and sees perhaps 8-8.

ya sure w/e :loser:

LtFinFan66
04-14-2005, 10:34 PM
ya sure w/e :loser:Yeah, just the response I would expect from a Bills fan. Not sure why I am nice and realistic on here when I get crap like that. Way to shoot down any hope I had for you people dude.

Slim
04-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Yeah, just the response I would expect from a Bills fan. Not sure why I am nice and realistic on here when I get crap like that. Way to shoot down any hope I had for you people dude.

calm down, dont take it personally. no reason to cry about it. and what do u mean by "you people" were all humans here

LtFinFan66
04-14-2005, 10:52 PM
calm down, dont take it personally. no reason to cry about it. and what do u mean by "you people" were all humans here
You people=Bills Fans. And yes you are as human as us FinFans....Can't say the same for Jet and pat fans though. Can we agree on that??

Slim
04-14-2005, 10:57 PM
You people=Bills Fans. And yes you are as human as us FinFans....Can't say the same for Jet and pat fans though. Can we agree on that??

haha agreed

Michael82
04-15-2005, 12:09 AM
haha agreed
especially the Pats fans. :ill:

Michael82
04-15-2005, 12:11 AM
I said nothing about giving up on the season. Just that the Superbowl is gonna be a tough road with JP. Yes my Homer mentality sees the Fins going to the Superbowl with AJ and a new RB but my realistic side peeks out from behind my Aqua and Orange colored glasses and sees perhaps 8-8.

Good post. I think that the fact that it's 5 months before the season makes us Die Hard fans want to be optimistic as we can be, because we need our football and we are pumping ourselves up for a great season. Realistically though, we know that we aren't going to make the Super Bowl this year. But we got a shot at getting to the playoffs. :up:

John Doe
04-15-2005, 07:11 AM
Good post. I think that the fact that it's 5 months before the season makes us Die Hard fans want to be optimistic as we can be, because we need our football and we are pumping ourselves up for a great season. Realistically though, we know that we aren't going to make the Super Bowl this year. But we got a shot at getting to the playoffs. :up:

If a team can reach the playoffs then they can make a run at the bowl.

Meathead
04-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Losman will have to be just about the best first year QB in history to make the SB.

I believe the only other guy to do that was Marino.

mysticsoto
04-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Losman will have to be just about the best first year QB in history to make the SB.

Not really. Our offense doesn't revolve around the QB - it revolves around McGahee. If the O-line becomes a road grating type line as it appears to be, McGahee is going to have some holes and he's going to make them pay big time. It would be nice if we could get the A-train to back him up since he is also a bruiser and have a strong 1-2 punch with our RBs. And as long as our Defense stays "around the same", we should do pretty well.

John Doe
04-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Not really. Our offense doesn't revolve around the QB - it revolves around McGahee. If the O-line becomes a road grating type line as it appears to be, McGahee is going to have some holes and he's going to make them pay big time. It would be nice if we could get the A-train to back him up since he is also a bruiser and have a strong 1-2 punch with our RBs. And as long as our Defense stays "around the same", we should do pretty well.

Right on.

BTW Meathead, Losman is a second year QB.

The_Philster
04-15-2005, 03:26 PM

actually, the Marino-led Dolphins of 83 lost to the Seahawks in the divisional round
His second year was when they lost to the 9ers in the Super Bowl

BTW Meathead, Losman is a second year QB.
In some ways he's viewed as a first year QB since he missed a significant amount of practice time thanks to that injury. Either way, this'll be his first year getting any significant playing time

John Doe
04-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Losman has already been through most of one training camp and all of one season, albeit on the sideline. He has also been thruough most of one offseason knowing that he will be the starter.

He has spent a good portion of that time teaming with his coach and getting the system down pat - a huge advantage over a rookie who does not know where he's going to play. Losman also already knows his wide receivers.

He will get the lion's share of reps when practice starts, a much better situation to sharpen his skills than a rookie who has to compete for a starting spot.

He is not a rookie.

Meathead
04-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Losman is a second year QB.
Right, but he’s a first year starter. We’ve talked about this so much that I’m tired of typing the extra “… as a starting …”. The point is he’s still very green. A season of professional practice and study will definitely help but nothing replaces game time decision making and familiarity.

Not really. Our offense doesn't revolve around the QB - it revolves around McGahee.
A SB team requires a competent quarterback. Even the most pedestrian QBs were good in the season they made the SB, especially the playoffs.

Rothlisberger is a fantastic example. He did quite well in the regular season, but what happened? He came up against a great defense that shut down the run and when the team needed him to take charge he folded. Under the same circumstances next year he’ll be a lot better, but still in his first huge game appearance he wilted.

That’s why it’s been a virtual impossibility for a first year QB to make the SB. Maybe Losman could do that, but statistically it’s a very long shot. I don’t like it, but that’s just the way it is. It’s the reason I see the Bills only winning 8 or 9 games. I hope I’m wrong but you have to admit the numbers are way on my sad side.