View Full Version : Green on Henry trade

buffmaniac
04-14-2005, 07:41 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/car...rade-ON-CR.html

Henry trade on hold until draft

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 13, 2005 03:42 PM

The proposed trade of Cardinals offensive tackle L.J. Shelton to Buffalo for running back Travis Henry remains dormant, and the status isn’t likely to change until the first day of the NFL draft April 23.

“It has a heartbeat,” Cardinals coach Dennis Green said of the trade.

Buffalo also would like to swap places in the second round, taking the Cardinals’ pick, the 44th overall, with the Cardinals sliding to the 55th selection.

The Cardinals, however, are balking at that – at least for now. With the eighth overall pick, the Cardinals should have a chance to take one of the top three running backs in the draft: Cedric Benson of Texas and Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams of Auburn.

If they take one of them, the trade will be off.

“If the draft goes a certain way, and we take a player and that player happens to be a running back, that phone will never ring,” Green said. “If the draft goes on and we don’t take a running back, they (the Bills) will probably still be trying to move up. They are probably trying to move up with other people also.”

Holding off until draft day gives the Cardinals some additional leverage. It’s possible that other teams might want to trade up to take one of those three running backs. The Cardinals don’t want to eliminate the possibility of trading down by making the deal for Henry now.

Green didn’t rule out the possibility of swapping picks second-round picks with Buffalo, saying it depended how the draft developed and what players the Cardinals would be available with the 55th pick.

“We keep our options open,” he said.

Henry is in the last year of his contract and is scheduled to make $1.25 million . The Cardinals aren’t interested in negotiating a long-term deal with him before agreeing to a trade, because Green would rather have Henry establish his worth in the last year of his contract.

Henry’s contract status, however, adds risk to a possible trade, Green said.

“Even if we did a trade for Travis Henry tomorrow, it would take us out of the market for any of those three young backs and the risk is Travis is on a one-year deal,” Green said. “There is risk involved with us, and I’m not saying we wouldn’t take those risks, but they are there and we have to recognize that.”

Shelton, who signed a contract extension in 2003, has four years remaining on his contract at $3 million a year.

---------------------------------------------------------
This should add some excitement to the draft. I really think Green wants to get Henry so he can address other needs in the draft, but he is just posturing so he doesn't have to swap picks. It will be interesting to see how this all goes down.

Italian Stallion
04-14-2005, 07:50 AM
This should add some excitement to the draft. I really think Green wants to get Henry so he can address other needs in the draft, but he is just posturing so he doesn't have to swap picks. It will be interesting to see how this all goes down.

I agree, there both trying to position themselves....just like the reports that say the Bills don't project Shelton as a starter on the team, yeah right!

You don't trade a starting RB for a backup tackle and just a swap of 2nd round picks, if that were the case it be henry for shelton and the cards GIVE us their 2nd....

We might not have a first rounder in this draft, but with the possibility of this deal going down, or with any other team for that matter, it will make early day 1 of the draft more exciting

justasportsfan
04-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Green didn’t rule out the possibility of swapping picks second-round picks with Buffalo, saying it depended how the draft developed and what players the Cardinals would be available with the 55th pick.

“We keep our options open,” he said.

he's singing a different tune from what he sang before.

don137
04-14-2005, 08:08 AM
I agree Justa. Before he said he would never swap picks...I don't blame Green he is waiting for the draft and seeing the cards he is dealt

justasportsfan
04-14-2005, 08:15 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/rumormill.html

• Look for Arizona and Buffalo to ultimately consummate the deal to send OT L.J. Shelton to the Bills in exchange for RB Travis Henry but it may not happen until Draft Day. This is basically a game of chicken with both teams wanting to trade to happen but each angling for a little more since it doesn't hurt them to wait another week. Once this trade goes through watch for Arizona to focus on a cornerback with the #8 overall pick with Antrel Rolle reportedly being the guy they covet.

This is why I think they will give in. Getting Henry gives them a chance to address another need in the draft.

Italian Stallion
04-14-2005, 08:33 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/rumormill.html

• Look for Arizona and Buffalo to ultimately consummate the deal to send OT L.J. Shelton to the Bills in exchange for RB Travis Henry but it may not happen until Draft Day. This is basically a game of chicken with both teams wanting to trade to happen but each angling for a little more since it doesn't hurt them to wait another week. Once this trade goes through watch for Arizona to focus on a cornerback with the #8 overall pick with Antrel Rolle reportedly being the guy they covet.

This is why I think they will give in. Getting Henry gives them a chance to address another need in the draft.

I was just getting ready to post that.....i agree

LifetimeBillsFan
04-14-2005, 01:24 PM
I think both sides are blowing a lot of smoke trying to get the best deal that they can and disguise what they are thinking as much as possible in the process. And, "where there's smoke, there's fire."

If the Bills really weren't interested in getting Shelton at all, they would have simply walked away from the deal completely already. And, if D.Green wasn't really interested in getting T.Henry so that he could take someone else with the # 8 pick, he would have walked away from the table completely once the Bills raised the ante. But, there's too much talking going on about this trade on both sides for me to believe that it is as dead as both sides keep trying to make everyone believe.

With some of the teams picking ahead of him being interested in A.Rolle and a couple of the teams immediately following the Cards also being interested in taking a CB, I think D.Green is trying to disguise his interest in taking Rolle or perhaps (more likely?) one of the other CBs) by talking about taking a RB with his pick if one of the Top # is still on the board rather than trading for T.Henry. But, that's just a hunch on my part....

Still, this will give me a reason to pay closer attention to the first couple of hours of the draft, just to see what how this all plays out. I've been saying for some time now that this deal might not end up being finalized until the Cards are on the clock and it just might turn out that way. So, I guess we're all just going to have to wait until Draft Day to see what happens!

Mr. Cynical
04-14-2005, 02:02 PM
One thing about this whole situation that bears mentioning....

No other teams are expressing interest in either player.

Say what you will, but that puts this trade in the "week old leftovers" category.

Now, I realize that we need to get rid of TH no matter what given his attitude, so we have to make this....or any...trade we can. But getting Shelton doesn't exactly make me all giddy and thinking that our LT problem is solved. If I were a betting man, I say he is going to be maybe as good as Price, and will ultimately become a backup. The reason I say this is from all the reports I've read and the absolute lack of interest in him by any other teams. Where there's smoke, ther's fire. Where there's slience, there's crap. :;

mysticsoto
04-14-2005, 02:44 PM
The one thing that I'm wondering about is...if they want Jason Peters to eventually take over the position and if they feel he is close and just needs a year, then getting Shelton means we're stuck with him for another 3 years. And while he'd be a good backup insurance in case Peters got hurt...if $3 million is too much for Green to pay for him to ride the pine - it is definitely too much for us to pay. So I'm wondering if that is a consideration in TD's overall plans. He may feel the potential of Peters surpasses that of Shelton easily and therefore looks at the trade with trepidation. That's why I feel we should definitely not do a 1 on 1 swap. If we get something else for it...well, now that allows us to move up in the draft and pick a higher impact player - so that does make it worth it But it also means we probably won't need O-lineman at all (although a lower rd pick of a Center is probably worth doing) and can go for impact players at any position...I could see us risking taking Matt Jones if he's available at #44, or Anttaj (although he may now drop). A top CB is probably an excellent thing to take also (Corey Webster ?).

jamze132
04-14-2005, 03:37 PM
I say we trade Clements for the 7 or 8 overall and pick Barron.

BillsFever21
04-14-2005, 04:15 PM
It will get done on draft day.

Bill Brasky
04-14-2005, 04:22 PM
It's dumb that TD has yet to realize how our line needs help... it's even dumber of him to publicly say that Shelton wouldn't really help us. Basically TD is a dumb idiot.