PDA

View Full Version : What do you think...

Romes
12-11-2002, 12:30 PM
I thought this would be an interesting poll. I am interested to find out what the majority of the people on this board feel about this question. Which statement is more accurate?

1. The defense's and offense's performance have nothing or very little to do with each other and that in most game situations the score has very little to do with the play selection.

2. That the defense and offense feed off of each other and that they can be held largely responsible for each unit's efficiency. Also, that in almost every game situation the score does have an effect on the play calling.

3. The defense's and offense's performance have very little to do with each other but that the score does effect playcalling in most game situations.

4. The defense and offense do feed off of each other and that they can be held largely responsible for each unit's effiecency but that the score does not have an effect on playcalling in most game situations.

Judge
12-11-2002, 12:40 PM
I voted for #2- so has everyone else at the time of my vote. Obviously Wys and his "the offense has nothing to do with the defense" nonsense hasn't shown up!

Patrick76777
12-11-2002, 12:43 PM
I think that each game has it’s own flow. And in each game, 1 million different intangibles determine Each and every move. To say that the play of the offense and defense have no effect on each other is ridiculous.

ArcticWildMan
12-11-2002, 01:12 PM
#2. Lack of good field position and a lack of being able to shut down an opponent with our D is a huge factor.

northernbillfan
12-11-2002, 01:42 PM
When you are behind in the game, which we are most weeks, you have to make the adjustments to get points on the board quickly.

Romes
12-11-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
I think that each game has it’s own flow. And in each game, 1 million different intangibles determine Each and every move. To say that the play of the offense and defense have no effect on each other is ridiculous.

Then I would think you would vote #4. Saying that the offense and deffense do have an effect on each other. But that there are other intabgibles that go into play calling so that the score of the game has little effect on play selection.

venis2k1
12-11-2002, 01:51 PM
I also voted #4

WG
12-11-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Judge
I voted for #2- so has everyone else at the time of my vote. Obviously Wys and his "the offense has nothing to do with the defense" nonsense hasn't shown up!

Judge, your one-dimensional outlooks oversimplifying just crack me up!

;)

WG
12-11-2002, 06:10 PM
Can someone answer the simple question, if the offense gets the ball for 8 drives a game and only scores 16 points, how, generally speaking, is it the defense's fault? Assume that all drives started at our own 15 or beyond and at starting field positions that are not considered to be unreasonable?

To that extent, and that extent only, the D has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the O can put the ball in the endzone!

Anyone arguing to the contrary is simply arguing w/ it to argue and belabor the point w/ me or to simply gratuitously take issue w/ me ala Judge.

;)

Romes
12-11-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Can someone answer the simple question, if the offense gets the ball for 8 drives a game and only scores 16 points, how, generally speaking, is it the defense's fault? Assume that all drives started at our own 15 or beyond and at starting field positions that are not considered to be unreasonable?

Each game is different but I will answer it using how our defense is partly responsible for us only scoring 17 points against the patriots.

The last game was horrible for Bledsoe. His turnovers killed us. However, it was the defense that put us in a position where we needed to pass in order to get back in the game.

You underestimate the importance of field position. There is a huge difference between starting a drive from our 20, our 40, or their 40. Notice the games we score the most points are the games where we have the most turnovers and better starting drive field position. That is not a coincidence.

I will quote TacklingDummy from another post because he says it briefly and pretty well.

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
Steve Tasker just said on Empire that the reason Henry doesn't get used as much as they would like to because the Defense is putting us out of games and the Bills have to use the pass to try and get back in it.

Its not hard to understand. Better Defense=More carriers for Henry.

Once we have to pass to get back in it, the defense can sit back on the pass and thus making it more difficult to score for us. The reason we have to pass even when they know its coming is because we need to get into the game quick. The reason we need to get back into the game quick is one is always worried about not having enough time by the end of the game. each minute is valuable and the quicker one scores the more time one has to score again. It seems pretty clear to me.

Besides just saying that my arguement doesn't make sense could you tell me what part of my arguement is wrong? If the whole thing seems wrong to you, could you explain why?

(I realize I'm aking Wys to make his posts longer, but for the sake of this arguement it interests me. If it pains you to read Wys novels, just don't read his reply :D )

Romes
12-11-2002, 07:00 PM
Also, to clarify I am not saying and I don't think anyone is saying that the defense is solely responsible for the loss. That is a ludicrous statement.

The offense commited 5 turnovers. However, I am saying that our defense did not help in our quest to win.

What are we arguing, you seem to change topics. Is it why Henry gets few carries in our losses? Or is it who is to blame for our last 4 losses? Or is it why are we depending so much on Bledsoe?

:confused: