PDA

View Full Version : Henry not getting enough carries??????

venis2k1
12-11-2002, 01:33 PM
Alot of people here seem to think that Travis Henry isn't getting enough carries. But here is a fact that you seem to over looked. Only 6 NFL players have more carries than he does. Not too bad for a team with 2 probowl WR's and a probowl QB.:tomato:

northernbillfan
12-11-2002, 01:40 PM
I don't think they are talking about the amount of times he carries the ball, but how they use him.

Yeah we get behind early and have to go to the air to play catch up, but we have been passing in the red zone far too often. And Travis was all but ignored on Sunday, which will add fuel to the argument.

venis2k1
12-11-2002, 01:41 PM
thats what happens when you fumble on the goal line ;)

JefftheBillsfan
12-11-2002, 02:11 PM
I am not so mad at the lack of carries by only Henry, but as a team. How many carries does Morris have? 1? I bet we are really low in team carries.

DIHARD2
12-11-2002, 03:09 PM
This is what all those who keeps saying that Henry doesn't get enough carries, when something like this is brought up to show their wrong, and that is but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, he,he,he just isn't a good coach, because I don't like the way he spelled his name, or my favorite, he has man boobs. LoL

So if Henry gets enough carries to be the sixth in the stats, then what does that make all those other coaches who give their runners even less of a chance to make yardage? They must be (REALLY) stupid, if G. W. and our offensive coordinator is (JUST) stupid. LoL

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

SoCalBillsFan
12-11-2002, 03:52 PM
for the resord he is sixth in the AFC and tied for 7th in the NFL.

As a team we are 30th, yes that's right, 30th, in rushing attempts, and 22nd in rushing yards.

THe fact is we dont run enough when we are behind or in the second half. It seems like in the games we are winning henry gets 30 plus carries, in the games we lose he gets 10-15. THat is my problem. RUN THE BALL!

JefftheBillsfan
12-11-2002, 04:47 PM
socal=100% right. we need to run the ball more, and Morris isnt so bad that he cant spare henry now and then.

TacklingDummy
12-11-2002, 06:06 PM
Steve Tasker just said on Empire that the reason Henry doesn't get used as much as they would like to because the Defense is putting us out of games and the Bills have to use the pass to try and get back in it.

Its not hard to understand. Better Defense=More carriers for Henry.

WG
12-11-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
Alot of people here seem to think that Travis Henry isn't getting enough carries. But here is a fact that you seem to over looked. Only 6 NFL players have more carries than he does. Not too bad for a team with 2 probowl WR's and a probowl QB.:tomato:

Once again, let's look at the aggregate and completely ignore independent games;

such as;

12 carries against Denver; LOSS

15 carries against Oakland; LOSS

11 carries against N.E.; LOSS (N.E. has a horrible rush D and was beaten in 4 of their 5 losses via rushing!)

17 carries against the Jets; LOSS

15 carries against N.E.; LOSS (same as above)

24 carries against K.C. wasn't huge either in a game where Bledsoe clearly couldn't lead us to the endzone. Henry was averaging 5.3 YPC. LOSS

"Not too bad for a team with 2 probowl WR's and a probowl QB."

Actually, I think 16 points w/ only 1 TD is in fact pretty bad for "a team with 2 probowl WR's and a probowl QB."

Do you think it was good? How 'bout the 7 or 17 we put up against the Pats? Were those good for a PB QB and two PB WRs? 16 v. Miami in game 1? 13 v. the Jets in game 2? 4 of those losses, and the other game an offensive performance of only 16 points that we would not have won w/o the D playing well and scoring for us in addition. They allowed 10 points. I think we can pretty much entirely credit the D for that win, don't you?

Somehow we think differently! ;)

That's an average of 15.6 carries per game, ALL losses!

Gee!

Now what was that that you were saying...

:rolleyes:

SoCalBillsFan
12-11-2002, 06:43 PM
I didn't look up those state because I knew wys would :D

But like I said, in games that we have lost, he needed the ball more.

However I do agree that the defense has something to do wih it. Still, give henry the ball more.

WG
12-11-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by TacklingDummy
Steve Tasker just said on Empire that the reason Henry doesn't get used as much as they would like to because the Defense is putting us out of games and the Bills have to use the pass to try and get back in it.

Its not hard to understand. Better Defense=More carriers for Henry.

The reason we've been in the hole to begin with is mistakes by Drew and the passing game coupled w/ an inability to put points on the board as an offense like this on paper should.

If you don't score any points, sure, at some point it becomes an insurmountable lead. That doesn't mean that the D is solely responsible for the deficit.

In my book, our offense has absolutely no excuse for not putting up at least 24 PPG and against some teams much more. Meanwhile, our D simply cannot be expected to hold teams to much under that amount if we're lucky. Yet, they have in 5 games.

That line about us being behind is an oversimplified lazy unresearched viewpoint that is an easy excuse. Unless of course you consider down by 10 points w/ ALL the momentum on your side w/ well over a Q left to play time to panic and only throw the ball even when throwing hasn't gotten you anything except for turnovers, a good time to pass.

I don't think it's a good excuse to completely give up on the rushing game as we have. Once you bring that deficit down to a reasonable difference as we did in the Pats game by scoring a TD and FG, then there's no reason on earthy why you can't go back to running the ball if it's a better option and more productive! None.

Who made up this bogus and imaginary unwritten rule that says once you are at a point that you need to throw the ball, that it positively must stay that way throughout the rest of the game?

It's a silly concept!

TacklingDummy
12-11-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
12 carries against Denver; LOSS

15 carries against Oakland; LOSS

11 carries against N.E.; LOSS (N.E. has a horrible rush D and was beaten in 4 of their 5 losses via rushing!)

17 carries against the Jets; LOSS

15 carries against N.E.; LOSS (same as above)

24 carries against K.C. wasn't huge either in a game where Bledsoe clearly couldn't lead us to the endzone. Henry was averaging 5.3 YPC. LOSS

1) Denver game: Henry fumble's for the 3rd game in a row. The fumble leads directly to 7 points for Denver. Without the fumble Bills might have won.

2) Oakland Game was a shoot out. Late in the game Oakland takes a big lead. You have to pass to catch up, running the ball takes to much time off the clock.

3) NE: Bills defense couldn't stop NE offense all game. NE blows the Bills out and you wonder why Henry doesn't get the ball much.

4) Jets: Another shoot out. Bills defense and Special teams takes Henry out of the game once again.

5) NE2: NE gets out to a 20-0 lead, once again the Bills defense takes any sort of offensive game plan the Bills had out of the game.

6) KC: Complaining about 24 carriers? Give me a break.

Cntrygal
12-11-2002, 07:03 PM
[/i]The reason we've been in the hole to begin with is mistakes by Drew and the passing game coupled w/ an inability to put points on the board as an offense like this on paper should.

Don't you think the D has something to do with the other team getting ahead? (okay I guess you do think the D does... since I finished reading the rest of your post.... )

If you don't score any points, sure, at some point it becomes an insurmountable lead. That doesn't mean that the D is solely responsible for the deficit.

I agree here, at least the D is getting partial "credit/blame" ;)

In my book, our offense has absolutely no excuse for not putting up at least 24 PPG and against some teams much more. Meanwhile, our D simply cannot be expected to hold teams to much under that amount if we're lucky. Yet, they have in 5 games.

That line about us being behind is an oversimplified lazy unresearched viewpoint that is an easy excuse. Unless of course you consider down by 10 points w/ ALL the momentum on your side w/ well over a Q left to play time to panic and only throw the ball even when throwing hasn't gotten you anything except for turnovers, a good time to pass.

I don't think it's a good excuse to completely give up on the rushing game as we have. Once you bring that deficit down to a reasonable difference as we did in the Pats game by scoring a TD and FG, then there's no reason on earthy why you can't go back to running the ball if it's a better option and more productive! None.

Who made up this bogus and imaginary unwritten rule that says once you are at a point that you need to throw the ball, that it positively must stay that way throughout the rest of the game?

It's a silly concept!

I agree with the rest ;)

TacklingDummy
12-11-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
In my book, our offense has absolutely no excuse for not putting up at least 24 PPG and against some teams much more.

Did you happen to read your book? The Bills are scoring a ave. of 25.5 points per game. Thats 1.5 more points then you think they should.:)

Only 5 other teams score more PPG then the Bills and 4 of the 5 are headed to the playoffs. The 5th team KC still has a shot of making it too.

So why are the Bills not headed to the playoffs?

Romes
12-11-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by TacklingDummy

1) Denver game: Henry fumble's for the 3rd game in a row. The fumble leads directly to 7 points for Denver. Without the fumble Bills might have won.

2) Oakland Game was a shoot out. Late in the game Oakland takes a big lead. You have to pass to catch up, running the ball takes to much time off the clock.

3) NE: Bills defense couldn't stop NE offense all game. NE blows the Bills out and you wonder why Henry doesn't get the ball much.

4) Jets: Another shoot out. Bills defense and Special teams takes Henry out of the game once again.

5) NE2: NE gets out to a 20-0 lead, once again the Bills defense takes any sort of offensive game plan the Bills had out of the game.

6) KC: Complaining about 24 carriers? Give me a break.

Exaclty! :up:

Also, in the denver game Henry got pulled for a good chunk of the game since he did fumble.

mybills
12-12-2002, 09:19 AM
The funny thing is, and I'm sure you can attest to this Venis since you were there too...They give the ball to Henry more often when he has a brick wall in front of him, and not when he's wide open to go down the side with nobody near him. How's he gonna rack up yds like that? If Drew BLINDsoe would look around at those times, then Henry might just have a chance to gain some numbers! Ya think?