PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Bucs Interested in Travis Henry!!

deathadder
04-15-2005, 02:38 AM
General manager Bruce Allen said he contacted the Bills on Wednesday about the possibility of acquiring running back Travis Henry, who has one year left on his contract but wants out of Buffalo.

"I spoke to the Bills," Allen said Thursday, careful not to elaborate.

Although the Bucs likely will speak to a number of teams over the next seven days, the possibility of acquiring Henry, a 5-foot-9, 215-pounder who has two 1,000-yard campaigns in four seasons, could seriously alter their approach on draft day April 23.

Should the Bucs pull off a trade, which likely wouldn't happen until next week, they could turn their attention to the two highly rated receivers, USC's Mike Williams or Michigan's Braylon Edwards, or can trade up to get either Utah quarterback Alex Smith or California quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Henry's agent, Hadley Engelhard, said he has had a discussion with the Bucs and anticipates further conversation.

"We have had dialogue, and will continue to talk," Engelhard said Thursday. "There are several teams that would be a good fit for Travis."

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/15/Bucs/Bucs_eye_unhappy_Bill.shtml

Romes
04-15-2005, 03:05 AM
very nice! :up:

looks like TD's patience is coming through. Now there is competition for Henry: Cards, Bucs, and Eagles. 8 Days till the draft!

LifetimeBillsFan
04-15-2005, 03:10 AM
I am pleased, but not surprised to read this! Tampa Bay has been quietly mentioned a couple of times in the past as being interested in T.Henry.

With TD opening discussions with both TB and Philly about Henry, he is really putting the pressure on both of them and Arizona to give the Bills a better deal than he had been offered by the Cards up until now. The man's playing poker and, so far, I must admit that I like the way he is playing this situation out. At the very least, he is keeping us all very interested in seeing how this all plays out!

I'm beginning to get the feeling that he just might be looking for a way to sneak back into the bottom of the first round to snatch a player that the coaching/scouting staff are really interested in. Two second round picks or a second and a very high third rounder might be attractive to a team looking to fill multiple needs (Dallas ?).

Michael82
04-15-2005, 05:32 AM
This may make Dennis Green give in before the draft with the swap of 2nd rounders or maybe one of his 3rd rounders. :up:

SABURZFAN
04-15-2005, 05:52 AM
i'd rather deal with philly.they have the 35th and 63rd picks.i'd like to package henry with something to get both of them.that would give us 3 2nd rounders.

Rhettoric
04-15-2005, 06:01 AM
i'd rather deal with philly.they have the 35th and 63rd picks.i'd like to package henry with something to get both of them.that would give us 3 2nd rounders.
I don't think that will happen with TO wanting a new contract already and I think they are going to release Freddy M. Philly is going to need at least one of those picks to draft a new receiver. :idunno:

gobuffalo2007
04-15-2005, 06:48 AM
Ive been saying this for a while the Bucs are looking at him and I think they will give up their hight 2nd round pick.

Michael82
04-15-2005, 06:55 AM
Ive been saying this for a while the Bucs are looking at him and I think they will give up their hight 2nd round pick.
they have 2 also....don't they? :dance:

tampabay25690
04-15-2005, 08:36 AM
General manager Bruce Allen said he contacted the Bills on Wednesday about the possibility of acquiring running back Travis Henry, who has one year left on his contract but wants out of Buffalo.

"I spoke to the Bills," Allen said Thursday, careful not to elaborate.

Although the Bucs likely will speak to a number of teams over the next seven days, the possibility of acquiring Henry, a 5-foot-9, 215-pounder who has two 1,000-yard campaigns in four seasons, could seriously alter their approach on draft day April 23.

Should the Bucs pull off a trade, which likely wouldn't happen until next week, they could turn their attention to the two highly rated receivers, USC's Mike Williams or Michigan's Braylon Edwards, or can trade up to get either Utah quarterback Alex Smith or California quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Henry's agent, Hadley Engelhard, said he has had a discussion with the Bucs and anticipates further conversation.

"We have had dialogue, and will continue to talk," Engelhard said Thursday. "There are several teams that would be a good fit for Travis."

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/15/Bucs/Bucs_eye_unhappy_Bill.shtml

As of this morning from WDAE 620 the animal radio station in Tampa they stated the Bills and Bucs are close to dealing Henry to the Bucs for a 2nd round pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tampabay25690
04-15-2005, 08:37 AM
they have 2 also....don't they? :dance:

2 3rds!!!!!

mysticsoto
04-15-2005, 08:41 AM
Where are all the TD bashers now? Or all those..."The Sky is Falling...TD get the deal done NOW!!"

Once again TD shows us that he knows what he is doing...if we listened to the Pavlovian impulse jerks around here, our team would never progress and get better. With a chance at a higher 2nd rd pick or even an extra 1st day pick, we have a better chance at getting some good quality players that we might have otherwise not had a chance for!!!

Personally, I do like the idea of having 2 2nd rounders (TB picks at #36 - even higher than Arizona) - a better chance to get Matt Jones? Or Baas???

Mikey82 - where did you get the idea that TB has 2 2nd rounders??? I haven't seen that and can't find any substantiation of that...

justasportsfan
04-15-2005, 08:42 AM
Where are all the TD bashers now? ..Don't jump the gun. A deal hasn't been made yet.

clumping platelets
04-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Travis will have a new address in Tampa, Philly, Phoenix by next Sat :wave:

RedEyE
04-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Well now....this could prove interesting. Tampa is a team that doesn't mind paying for the right player.

justasportsfan
04-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Travis will have a new address in Tampa, Philly, Phoenix by next Sat :wave: I don't think he can afford 3 houses. That's why he signed an extension w/ the bills.

RedEyE
04-15-2005, 08:55 AM
I can see the headlines now:

McGahee vs Henry 9/18/2005
Butt Pirate Stadium

tampabay25690
04-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Where are all the TD bashers now? Or all those..."The Sky is Falling...TD get the deal done NOW!!"

Once again TD shows us that he knows what he is doing...if we listened to the Pavlovian impulse jerks around here, our team would never progress and get better. With a chance at a higher 2nd rd pick or even an extra 1st day pick, we have a better chance at getting some good quality players that we might have otherwise not had a chance for!!!

Personally, I do like the idea of having 2 2nd rounders (TB picks at #36 - even higher than Arizona) - a better chance to get Matt Jones? Or Baas???

Mikey82 - where did you get the idea that TB has 2 2nd rounders??? I haven't seen that and can't find any substantiation of that...

THEY DONT 2 3rd rounders!!!!!!!!!!!!

mysticsoto
04-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Don't jump the gun. A deal hasn't been made yet.

No, but if we had jumped the gun and just made the player for player swap like people were clamoring we wouldn't even be in a position to possibly move up in the draft or get an extra pick. Now we have the possibility of getting TB's 2nd rounder, or Philly might even enter the mix. And of course, this provides us better leverage in dealing with Arizona whether those deals go through or not.

No matter which way you look at it, TD did the right thing. If worst comes to worst, and things didn't work out through any of the other teams or scenarios, we could STILL do a player for player swap with Arizona later. Of course, that looks like it definitely isn't happening. Somehow, we are going to get something else for TH also!!! Just like we did for Price!!!

Good job, TD. You continue to impress me with your negotiation skills!

clumping platelets
04-15-2005, 09:47 AM
I don't think he can afford 3 houses. That's why he signed an extension w/ the bills.

My mistake, your fault :blush:

gonzo1105
04-15-2005, 10:08 AM
If the Bills get the Bucs 2nd rounder, and have their own expect a trade up to get either Jamaal Brown or Khalif Barnes. Frankly, I'd just rather stay with those two picks and take Baas and a DT/CB with our original pick.

BuffaloRanger
04-15-2005, 10:59 AM
No, but if we had jumped the gun and just made the player for player swap like people were clamoring we wouldn't even be in a position to possibly move up in the draft or get an extra pick. Now we have the possibility of getting TB's 2nd rounder, or Philly might even enter the mix. And of course, this provides us better leverage in dealing with Arizona whether those deals go through or not.

No matter which way you look at it, TD did the right thing. If worst comes to worst, and things didn't work out through any of the other teams or scenarios, we could STILL do a player for player swap with Arizona later. Of course, that looks like it definitely isn't happening. Somehow, we are going to get something else for TH also!!! Just like we did for Price!!!

Good job, TD. You continue to impress me with your negotiation skills!

Get off your knees.

I am not a huge Shelton Lover, but trading TH for a draft pick is a wash! Instead of trading Henry for a starting LT he gets traded for a 2nd Rd pick. The Bills would need to use it to select...you guessed it...an OL. An OL with no experience. Wow! That's such a great move.

If the Bills only select a Center than move TT to LT the Bills are in trouble. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Shelton + a Center would have been better for the Oline.

Yes extra picks would make the draft more exciting, but those players only have potential. They don't automatically make the Bills better. Look at some of the recent 2nd/3rd rd picks of the Bills - not impact players.

Ed
04-15-2005, 11:04 AM
If the Bills get the Bucs 2nd rounder, and have their own expect a trade up to get either Jamaal Brown or Khalif Barnes. Frankly, I'd just rather stay with those two picks and take Baas and a DT/CB with our original pick.

If we did end up with two 2nd rounders I'd rather just keep those picks too. With the players and talent that will be available this year in the 2nd compared to the 1st, I don't think there's that much of a drop off.

Bulldog
04-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Get off your knees.

I am not a huge Shelton Lover, but trading TH for a draft pick is a wash! Instead of trading Henry for a starting LT he gets traded for a 2nd Rd pick. The Bills would need to use it to select...you guessed it...an OL. An OL with no experience. Wow! That's such a great move.

If the Bills only select a Center than move TT to LT the Bills are in trouble. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Shelton + a Center would have been better for the Oline.

Yes extra picks would make the draft more exciting, but those players only have potential. They don't automatically make the Bills better. Look at some of the recent 2nd/3rd rd picks of the Bills - not impact players.

Its amazing that you're not a GM by now! I mean, you know everything there is to know. Perhaps if TD gets fired following this season, you can take over and guide Buffalo to the promise land.

Ed
04-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Get off your knees.

How do you know that we won't still get Shelton after he gets cut, even if we don't make a trade? It's possible we could end up getting a draft pick for Henry and end up getting Shelton anyway without giving up anything.

Also, how do you know that Shelton will make this team better then another draft pick? None of us really know what type of player Shelton is going to be next year or in the future. I'm not saying I don't like Shelton, I'm actually hoping we get him, but I'm pretty sure TD knows what he's doing and is going to make the smartest and best decision he can. We just have to wait and see how things unfold.

Akhippo
04-15-2005, 12:06 PM
I would rather keep the two picks. You can get two pretty good talents with reasonable salaries, or one player, who may or may not be better than the two seconds. Plus a higher salary.

mysticsoto
04-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Get off your knees.

Get off your brain...err...ass...or am I just being redundant?

The Bills do not have to select an OL. They can select best player available. And b'cse they've moved up (depending on whether we get TB's 2nd rd pick or trade with Arizona and swap 2nd rounds) we still get to move up and take a better player than we could have otherwise in our pick. If we don't get Shelton via trade, we most likely get him in FA anyway. But for the record, I think TT will actually do better at LT than at Center. TT isn't big and strong. He's athletic and that's what you need to deal with the speed rushing DE's at the Tackle position. TT played LT already, so it's not like it would be completely new to him. And there's always Jason Peters who we hope McNally will develop quickly at the position also. He will overshadow TT, Shelton and many others if he develops.

You're forgetting that this draft has alot of depth and less "outstanding" such that it is preferable not to be in the 1st rd and better to have more picks in the 2nd and even 3rd. Which is why many of the top teams would love to trade down - they just can't. Nobody cares to move up. The Bills are in a perfect position in this draft. And getting an extra 2nd, instead of moving up to the 1st, is actually alot better for us for this draft!!!

SABURZFAN
04-15-2005, 05:17 PM

I don't think that will happen with TO wanting a new contract already and I think they are going to release Freddy M. Philly is going to need at least one of those picks to draft a new receiver. :idunno:

keyword in my statement was "package."that includes draft picks and/or players.i know a certain WR who could use a new address.

Bert102176
04-16-2005, 12:32 AM
I've heard the Bucs may release Derrick Brooks do to his salery think they would wanna trade him for Henry, he's a big improvement over Posey, but I would really like their 2nd round pick, just wondering what you all think

LifetimeBillsFan
04-16-2005, 02:59 AM
I've heard the Bucs may release Derrick Brooks do to his salery think they would wanna trade him for Henry, he's a big improvement over Posey, but I would really like their 2nd round pick, just wondering what you all think
No way! Brooks will probably want more than Posey is getting and that the Bills can afford--which he will probably be able to get from a team that is desperate for a decent LB (there are several!). Also, Brooks is older than Posey and may not be as good of a fit in the Bills' defensive schemes as Posey is at this point.

I keep saying this every time someone comes up with yet another "big name" to replace Posey: every statement that has ever been made by Posey or the Bills coaching staff has indicated that the coaches feel that Posey is doing the job that they want him to do and that they are very pleased with how he is doing it--even if his performance is not being reflected in his stats. Anyone who has played a team sport knows how this can happen: everyone on a team cannot be a "star", coaches ask their players to do certain jobs and players who are asked to "do the dirty work" that allow other players to be the "star" may not see the contributions that they make--which are essential to a team's success--reflected on the stat sheet. That's why coaches grade their players based on watching the films of their play rather than simply looking at the stat sheet. For example: the Tampa Bay defense was constructed to make D.Brooks the "star" when he was in his prime, so he put up huge numbers every year in that defense; the Bills defense is not constructed to make Posey the "star"--L.Fletcher and TKO are the "stars"--so Posey has not put up the kind of numbers that Brooks has; but there is no guarantee that Brooks will put up any better numbers than Posey has or will play the role that Posey has any better if he were playing a supporting role in the Bills defense instead of being the "star" as he was with the Bucs. Indeed, if you look at the stats put up by the 3 LBs in 4-3 defenses, you will notice that, when the 3 play the same positions consistently, two of the three will have significantly higher numbers than the third LB in the group--especially if the MLB is a very good player. This isn't an accident: it happens because it is a result of how the defense is constructed and meant to be played.

This isn't Fantasy Football that we are talking about here where the only thing that matters is what a player's stats are. The game that is played on the field--the one that the Bills and every other team in the NFL has to play--is one where performance is determined by more than just stats and where players are often asked to sacrifice their stats in order to do things that are essential to winning even though they don't get noticed or show up on a stat sheet.

The_Philster
04-16-2005, 06:01 AM
Well said, LifetimeBillsfan :clap: I think it's funny how short people's memories are when it comes to the SLB position. The SLB in a 4-3 rarely puts up a lot of fantasy numbers because he plays in short coverage over the tight end or RB a good chunk of the time.
I think everyone remembers Bryce Paup's big year at SOLB and thinks it's the gold standard by which SLBs are held accountable to. Problem with that thinking is...we were in a 3-4 at the time and pass rushing was a big part of his job. Midway through the 97 season when we switched to a 4-3 due to losing starting ILBs Chris Spielman and Damien Covington to injury, Paup's responsibilities changed. He was still playing the SLB position but in the 4-3 scheme, he played in coverage a lot more and his numbers tailed off dramatically. People might remember the groin injury he had and attribute the numbers drop entirely to that but I ask those people to go back and look at the tapes...you're not gonna get sacks playing in coverage and for people to expect Posey to put up big sack numbers in his current role is silly...cause it's the same damn thing that happened with Paup.
So anyone looking to replace Posey with a guy who puts up bigger numbers...please do your homework...I feel like the smilie in Eb's sig everytime I see people talking like Chad Brown or Derrick Brooks are going to come in here and put up a lot of numbers in Posey's spot. Have the people supporting these ideas even looked at where those players play? Those two are playing at WLB...which is where TKO plays...the two positions are not designed to put up the same numbers because the responsibilities differ a lot.

buffmaniac
04-16-2005, 07:28 AM
How about Kenyatta Walker and a swap of seconds? Pretty similar to the deal we want from the cards. Walker is similar to Shelton in he was a former 1st rd pick who has been a bit of a disappointment, but Walker is younger and cheaper.

Thoughts? Would the Bucs do this?