NFL, DirecTV extend deal five years for $2 billion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

NFL, DirecTV extend deal five years for $2 billion

Dec. 11, 2002
    SportsLine.com wire reports

The NFL extended its agreement with DirecTV for five years Wednesday, giving the satellite service exclusive rights to the league's subscription package in a deal worth $2 billion.

The NFL's average take will rise to $400 million, more than three times the $130 million it is getting from DirecTV this season under an expiring five-year contract, an industry source close to the negotiations told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

Included in the agreement, which runs from 2003-07, is the launching of a 24-hour NFL Channel on DirecTV as early as next year. DirecTV has shown NFL games since 1995.

• Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

This NFL channel interests me. I heard that it might rebroadcast games during the week. (unsubstantiated rumor)

That way, you can tune into a game if you went to it, or if it had a fantastic finish.

I would also love to see if they can rebroadcast historical games in their entirety, kind of like the way ESPN's Classic Sports does with college games. Wouldn't you like to see the comeback game again? Or Kelly's comeback against the fins in 1989?

What would you like to see on an all-NFL channel??

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

All you mentioned plus some of the stuff that they show on ESPN from NFL Films
      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• BillC
        The man in charge - Don't U forget it!
        • Jul 2002

Cheerleaders!!

Comment

• BillC
          The man in charge - Don't U forget it!
          • Jul 2002

I guess "Exclusive" means no digital cable package....

Better start cutting down the neighbor's trees for best reception...

Comment

Working...
          X