X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clumping platelets
    • Apr 2024

I've been digging into the Henry trade scenarios

I think the Tampa Bay scenario makes a ton of sense and this is why.....

Speculation has the Bucs looking to draft QB Alex Smith. They are talking with the Fins about moving from #5 to #2. One way to facilitate this is to trade for Travis Henry before the draft. The Bills need to get value for Travis, so I propose the following deal, which gives the Bills that value, Bucs a #1 RB and more favorably position to trade up for QB Smith.

Bucs and Bills: Bills send RB Henry and #55 to Bucs for CB Barber and #71. Deal includes cond 06 that can be pick to Bucs/pick to Bills/swap of picks. This deal makes sense from a number of perspectives:

1) Gives Bucs cap relief to sign draft picks: Bucs are only about $1 million under cap, so they will need to find some cap space to sign draft choices. This deal frees up about $1.5 million. Bills would need to lower his 2005 cap number to make the deal.

2) Bucs get the #1 RB workhorse RB: Travis would be listed as the starter with Charlie Garner as the #2 and 3rd down back. Pittman would likely be let go after June 1st.

3) Bills use asset to acquire starting caliber CB: With Clements slated to be UFA, K. Thomas also UFA, and McGee RFA....CB could be a major headache. Acquiring Barber, who was listed as a possible cap casualty, would give the Bills a solid CB opposite Nate and allow McGee to continue developing as a lead CB. That would give the Bills incredible depth at CB and allow the defense to better match up against a team like NE and hedge against FA after 2005 season

4) Deal positions TB better for trade up: They would move from 3,71 to 2,55, solve the RB situation, and be able to send #36 to Miami as part of a deal to move up to #2. Bucs have been rumored as being interested in K Mike Nugent. They would have a better chance at #55 to pick him or move into position to pick him earlier in rd 2

5) Bills would move down into rd 3 with picks at #71 and #86. They could move back into rd 2 if they so choose to get a player they want, but likely would target DT Attiyah Ellison or BPA at #71

• tampabay25690
    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by clumping platelets
    I think the Tampa Bay scenario makes a ton of sense and this is why.....

Speculation has the Bucs looking to draft QB Alex Smith. They are talking with the Fins about moving from #5 to #2. One way to facilitate this is to trade for Travis Henry before the draft. The Bills need to get value for Travis, so I propose the following deal, which gives the Bills that value, Bucs a #1 RB and more favorably position to trade up for QB Smith.

Bucs and Bills: Bills send RB Henry and #55 to Bucs for CB Barber and #71. Deal includes cond 06 that can be pick to Bucs/pick to Bills/swap of picks. This deal makes sense from a number of perspectives:

1) Gives Bucs cap relief to sign draft picks: Bucs are only about $1 million under cap, so they will need to find some cap space to sign draft choices. This deal frees up about $1.5 million. Bills would need to lower his 2005 cap number to make the deal.

2) Bucs get the #1 RB workhorse RB: Travis would be listed as the starter with Charlie Garner as the #2 and 3rd down back. Pittman would likely be let go after June 1st.

3) Bills use asset to acquire starting caliber CB: With Clements slated to be UFA, K. Thomas also UFA, and McGee RFA....CB could be a major headache. Acquiring Barber, who was listed as a possible cap casualty, would give the Bills a solid CB opposite Nate and allow McGee to continue developing as a lead CB. That would give the Bills incredible depth at CB and allow the defense to better match up against a team like NE and hedge against FA after 2005 season

4) Deal positions TB better for trade up: They would move from 3,71 to 2,55, solve the RB situation, and be able to send #36 to Miami as part of a deal to move up to #2. Bucs have been rumored as being interested in K Mike Nugent. They would have a better chance at #55 to pick him or move into position to pick him earlier in rd 2

5) Bills would move down into rd 3 with picks at #71 and #86. They could move back into rd 2 if they so choose to get a player they want, but likely would target DT Attiyah Ellison or BPA at #71

I have no idea where the QB is coming from, reports this week in Tampa have stated that Tampa will PROBABLY draft Mike WIlliams so he can stay home and play......But of course this isnt 100%... I guess we will have to wait and see, to be honest since I have season Tix for the Bucs I would love to see Travis Henry a BUC!!!!!
    GO Gators!!!!!!
    GO GATORS!!

Comment

From ESPN Draft Rumor insider

Apr. 15 - The Bucs are operating as though they have a chance to get Utah quarterback Alex Smith if he drops to the second pick, according to John Clayton. The debate is whether to give up a second-round choice to move up from No. 5 to No. 2. Smith is the quarterback the Bucs want after seeing him work out last week. The Dolphins are studying him to be the No. 2 pick if they don't trade out. The Dolphins want draft choices. They can get one in the Patrick Surtain deal with the Chiefs, but they should get a better draft choice from the Bucs.
      The second aspect to the Bucs' move to possibly get Smith is what they are doing at running back. The Bucs contacted the Bills about acquiring halfback Travis Henry. The Bucs might be willing to come up with the right player – not a draft choice – that would entice the Bills to make a trade. If the Bucs could acquire Alex Smith and Henry in two separate trades, they certainly would be big winners in this draft.

Comment

Originally posted by tampabay25690
        I have no idea where the QB is coming from, reports this week in Tampa have stated that Tampa will PROBABLY draft Mike WIlliams so he can stay home and play......But of course this isnt 100%... I guess we will have to wait and see, to be honest since I have season Tix for the Bucs I would love to see Travis Henry a BUC!!!!!

I've read that the Mike Williams talk is a smoke screen. They already have a guy like that in Michael Clayton.

Comment

• buffmaniac
          • May 2003

How old is Barber and what does his contract look like?

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
            Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
            • Mar 2003

How about Barber for TH straight up? That'd rock IMO.
            "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
            -Vince Lombardi

Comment

$3.75 million in 2005
              $3.5 million in 2006

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                Maybe?
                • Oct 2003

I don't like this trade. I know what you are saying about Nate and our CB situation, but I think we need to address more immediate needs first- our OL. Whatever it takes to make our OL better needs to be #1 priority IMO. The only other immediate need I would put next to it is DE, and then maybe K.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                  Too sober for this...
                  • Apr 2004

Personally, I don't like this trade either. I know it strengthens our defense (specifically our secondary), but then we drop until the 3rd to be able to make a pick. I much rather pick the best available player in the high 2nd. If we get someone like Matt Jones that can add to our offense and give JP another weapon - that'd be great!!! I tend to favor creating mismatches with personnel, and not many people can matchup well with Matt Jones. This was the same reason I liked Jason Peters as a TE - but now they've moved him. If Matt develops really well, he could be our future replacement for Moulds...

Comment

• NJFINSFAN1
                    NJ In The House
                    • Nov 2004

And then the Buccs trade Henry, there # 1 and # 2 to the Fins for our 2nd pick to take Smith!

And then the Bucc's trade Simms to the Browns for a 3rd or 4th round pick!

Time To Ski!

Comment

Matt Jones is 2 yrs away from being a productive player.

Not many players in rd 2 can come in and make substantive contributions as rookies. Clearly, if the Bills felt Shelton solved the puzzle on the OL, undoubtedly, the deal would have been consummated already. The few OL prospects that could help us in 2005 will all likely be gone by #55. Both Baas and Spencer are moving up the draft boards and will be out of reach. I personally do not want to see a rookie protecting JP's blindside

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                        Maybe?
                        • Oct 2003

Then make some kind of 3 way trade, i.e., get Barber and bundle him with something else to grab an OL. I agree that if Shelton was "all that", he would either a) been picked up by another team or b) been a Bill a long time ago. But either way, I really think we need to use TH as a way to improve the line, in one way or the other.

Comment

• donahoeisgod
                          • Sep 2003

The Tampa Player being talked about is...

Matt Stinchcomb, their 1st round pick from 1999. He is still young (26-27) and according to the NFLPA website is signed for the nex few years at a reasonable price, including a $1.25 million base figure for 2005. And he could be plugged into the left tackle position.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                            Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by NJFINSFAN1
                            And then the Buccs trade Henry, there # 1 and # 2 to the Fins for our 2nd pick to take Smith!

And then the Bucc's trade Simms to the Browns for a 3rd or 4th round pick!
                            What are you smoking? Henry + #1 + #2 for a rookie QB?

Comment

• mysticsoto
                              Too sober for this...
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by donahoeisgod
                              Matt Stinchcomb, their 1st round pick from 1999. He is still young (26-27) and according to the NFLPA website is signed for the nex few years at a reasonable price, including a $1.25 million base figure for 2005. And he could be plugged into the left tackle position.
                              How good is he on a scale of 1-10 ???

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡