PDA

View Full Version : looking to replace Posey with someone with bigger sack totals?

The_Philster
04-16-2005, 06:03 AM
I think it's funny how short people's memories are when it comes to the SLB position. The SLB in a 4-3 rarely puts up a lot of fantasy numbers because he plays in short coverage over the tight end or RB a good chunk of the time.
I think everyone remembers Bryce Paup's big year at SOLB and thinks it's the gold standard by which SLBs are held accountable to. Problem with that thinking is...we were in a 3-4 at the time and pass rushing was a big part of his job. Midway through the 97 season when we switched to a 4-3 due to losing starting ILBs Chris Spielman and Damien Covington to injury, Paup's responsibilities changed. He was still playing the SLB position but in the 4-3 scheme, he played in coverage a lot more and his numbers tailed off dramatically. People might remember the groin injury he had and attribute the numbers drop entirely to that but I ask those people to go back and look at the tapes...you're not gonna get sacks playing in coverage and for people to expect Posey to put up big sack numbers in his current role is silly...cause it's the same damn thing that happened with Paup.
So anyone looking to replace Posey with a guy who puts up bigger numbers...please do your homework...I feel like the smilie in Eb's sig everytime I see people talking like Chad Brown or Derrick Brooks are going to come in here and put up a lot of numbers in Posey's spot. Have the people supporting these ideas even looked at where those players play? Those two are playing at WLB...which is where TKO plays...the two positions are not designed to put up the same numbers because the responsibilities differ a lot.

Jayhawk
04-16-2005, 06:28 AM
Id take brooks

The King
04-16-2005, 07:18 AM
You're right Phil. But as I posted in another thread guys like. Suggs, Peterson, and McGinnest are all smarter football players. In Buffalos scheme Fletch and TKO are gonna put up the numbers but for comparisson sake there are guys who are better.

The_Philster
04-16-2005, 07:22 AM
Id take brooks

what do you do with TKO then? I hope you're not actually expecting someone to put up WLB numbers as an SLB

Meathead
04-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Great points, Phillie.

The_Philster
04-16-2005, 07:51 AM
Great points, Phillie.

gracias..I've always thought that a lot of the answers to today's questions can be discovered by looking back in history...whether it be LB play or political or whatever ;)

Jayhawk
04-16-2005, 08:35 AM
what do you do with TKO then? I hope you're not actually expecting someone to put up WLB numbers as an SLB
move Brooks somewhere

jamze132
04-16-2005, 08:51 AM
I think it's funny how short people's memories are when it comes to the SLB position. The SLB in a 4-3 rarely puts up a lot of fantasy numbers because he plays in short coverage over the tight end or RB a good chunk of the time.
I think everyone remembers Bryce Paup's big year at SOLB and thinks it's the gold standard by which SLBs are held accountable to. Problem with that thinking is...we were in a 3-4 at the time and pass rushing was a big part of his job. Midway through the 97 season when we switched to a 4-3 due to losing starting ILBs Chris Spielman and Damien Covington to injury, Paup's responsibilities changed. He was still playing the SLB position but in the 4-3 scheme, he played in coverage a lot more and his numbers tailed off dramatically. People might remember the groin injury he had and attribute the numbers drop entirely to that but I ask those people to go back and look at the tapes...you're not gonna get sacks playing in coverage and for people to expect Posey to put up big sack numbers in his current role is silly...cause it's the same damn thing that happened with Paup.
So anyone looking to replace Posey with a guy who puts up bigger numbers...please do your homework...I feel like the smilie in Eb's sig everytime I see people talking like Chad Brown or Derrick Brooks are going to come in here and put up a lot of numbers in Posey's spot. Have the people supporting these ideas even looked at where those players play? Those two are playing at WLB...which is where TKO plays...the two positions are not designed to put up the same numbers because the responsibilities differ a lot.
Phil is right. Besides, Posey is a more than capable of playing his position.

The_Philster
04-16-2005, 08:55 AM
move Brooks somewhere

Where? If you mean to Posey's spot, is that the best fit for the defense? Are Brooks' coverage abilities better than TKO's? Are TKO's pass rush skills better than those of Derrick Brooks? If Mularkey and TD were to consider bringing him in, those are questions they'd have to figure out the answers to before they made the deal

jamze132
04-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Just because a big name player might become available doesn't necessarily mean we have to get him on our team! In case someone didn't know, we already have one of the best defenses in the NFL. All the threads about Ty Law, Derick Brooks,etc... I just don't understand.

Kudos to Phil! :posrep:

The_Philster
04-16-2005, 09:09 AM
I'm not against upgrading if possible...but if a guy has to switch positions to come here, how much of an upgrade can he be?

Sportsuser101
04-16-2005, 10:24 AM
move Brooks somewhere
Move him back to his original position.. safety. :crazy:

justasportsfan
04-16-2005, 10:46 AM
go back and look at the tapes...mail it to us :winkpunch

Tatonka
04-16-2005, 11:17 AM
posey is not great in coverage and i have seen numerous times when he is trying to put pressure on the qb and just gets put into the ground on the pass rush.