PDA

View Full Version : Clements Won't Go!!!!

pashi911
04-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Boys, lets get serious. We cannot trade Nate Clements this year which is likely to be the best season of his career. It would be quite stupid to trade a top CB in the final year of his contract when we can tag him at the end of the year and unload him for at least a first rounder and possibly more. If we trade him now, we risk blowing the whole season. As this is a weak draft, it would be wise to finish the year and then make a descision as to trading him or paying him top dollar. TD would take a beating in the media if he pulled the trigger on a trade so soon. Lets be realistic gentlemen. We don't have a shot at the superbowl if we start picking apart our defense. We'll see what happens at the end of the season.

Jayhawk
04-16-2005, 09:57 AM
trade him for PAcman Jones

buffmaniac
04-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Agree. And if we can't sign him next year, we can at the very least franchise him and trade him ala Peerless Price.

ddaryl
04-16-2005, 10:13 AM
The Bills won't trade Clemetns unless Washington offers much more then their 1st rd pick

djjimkelly
04-16-2005, 10:29 AM
get off this topic already LOL. this might be the number one reason im lookming forward to to draft so it passes and i dont have to read on this board that fools want to get rid of nate. my god u guys make it seem like excellent corners grow on trees. they dont be happy we have him now and hope he gets singned long term!

buffmaniac
04-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Just to add to what I said

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2037937&num=2

“Next year's free agent cornerback class is going be thin. Nate Clements of the Bills is the only sure bet and tops the class. Charles Woodson of the Raiders is technically a free next year but he is an unsigned franchise player looking for a long-term deal. Patrick Surtain of the Dolphins is free but he is awaiting a trade and a long-term deal. The Giants' Allen is the next name but he is coming off a tough season.”

So even if we can't re-sign Nate we should definitely franchise him and either keep him or try to trade him. Interest could be very high for him.

But personally I would love to keep him.

DMBcrew36
04-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Just to add to what I said

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2037937&num=2

“Next year's free agent cornerback class is going be thin. Nate Clements of the Bills is the only sure bet and tops the class. Charles Woodson of the Raiders is technically a free next year but he is an unsigned franchise player looking for a long-term deal. Patrick Surtain of the Dolphins is free but he is awaiting a trade and a long-term deal. The Giants' Allen is the next name but he is coming off a tough season.”

So even if we can't re-sign Nate we should definitely franchise him and either keep him or try to trade him. Interest could be very high for him.

But personally I would love to keep him.this next year with us also gives him a chance to further develop.. increase his worth

dasaybz
04-16-2005, 11:44 PM
this next year with us also gives him a chance to further develop.. increase his worthWe should all just hope ne sucks next year and pushes his asking price down ... =}

thebuffalobills4
04-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Boys, lets get serious. We cannot trade Nate Clements this year which is likely to be the best season of his career. It would be quite stupid to trade a top CB in the final year of his contract when we can tag him at the end of the year and unload him for at least a first rounder and possibly more. If we trade him now, we risk blowing the whole season. As this is a weak draft, it would be wise to finish the year and then make a descision as to trading him or paying him top dollar. TD would take a beating in the media if he pulled the trigger on a trade so soon. Lets be realistic gentlemen. We don't have a shot at the superbowl if we start picking apart our defense. We'll see what happens at the end of the season. good post :xtreme:

YardRat
04-17-2005, 10:22 AM
I hope Nate stays long-term also, but don't see it happening.

I doubt Washington or any other team would be willing to come up with a package that would be considered fair value to TD this year, so I realistically don't see it happening at all.

If someone did, though, I'd be willing to let him go, because he's going to be gone at some point next year regardless.

jamze132
04-17-2005, 10:25 AM
For all you out there that think we should sign Clements longterm...

How are you going to be able to afford McGahee too? Look at the Indianapolis Colts for instance. They pay 3 people top dollar and can't afford much else/ And the only reason they are succesful is becasue of Manning. Yeah, some scary defense they have! I am not campaigning to trade Clements for something in this years draft. But I do want to see him traded before it's too late. And the earlier you do it, the more you will get in return. If we trade Clements this year and our defense becomes average, than it was average to begin with... and we all know that's not the case. It's not the end of the season if we trade Clements. It's for the betterment of the team in the future. Everyones like, oh, no, "don't trade Clements, he's the best corner in the league", "this draft is thin" It's a bunch of crap!

You have to look at from a financial standpoint. It's a business, like it or not.