• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

Offense/Defense Analysis:

Many are blaming the D for losing games for us. Well, here are some facts from this season:

Over the first 6 games the team scored an average of 32.3 points per game.

Over the first 6 games, the team allowed an average 34 points per game.

Over the past 7 games, the team has scored an average of 19.7 points per game.

Over the past 7 games, the team has allowed an average of 23 points per game.

32.3/34 over the first 6

19.7/23.0 over the last 7

The offense's production, or at least team scoring production, has dropped off by 39% in those two stretches.

The defense's production has increased by 32.4%.

How, given that, is it the defense's fault for us not winning games?

I say it's both. I say it's more the O since the O has everything it needs to be successful while virtually the opposite is true for the D. With greater talent, there are greater expectations and greater expected potential must naturally exist. With lesser talent, less is and should be expected. Yet, many argue to the contrary.

Whatever I suppose...

Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• Wys Guy
    • Jul 2002

Additionally, we have fallen from 1st in yardage rankings where we held a substantial lead, to 6th now, and once 9th. The only way for that to have occurred is for us to have played well below say even 10th for a sustained period of time offensively.

Ergo, our offense has clearly struggled.

The 19.7 PPG that we are putting up on average over our past 7 games, would currently be good for the 22nd overall ranking of scoring.

To say that the offense bears no fault for us going only 3-4 over that stretch is to be remiss. Especially when our offense could not even muster 17 points against the near last ranked defense of the Chiefs.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

We are currently rated 6th, 'nuff said.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
        Unreachable Douche
        • Jul 2002

Has someone been missing their AA meetings?:drinker:

Comment

• Wys Guy
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
          We are currently rated 6th, 'nuff said.
          Over our last 7 games, our team has averaged 19.7 PPG and our O has averaged only 18.7 PPG.

That isn't anywhere near #6. It's more near #25!

So unless it picks up, we have to assume that our early season success was perhaps based on pre-season hype or excitement, an easy schedule, or simply a lack of familiarity by our opponents about our O. But they sure seem to have us pegged now, eh! But unless we again return to scoring 25+ PPG over our last 3 games, I would strongly suggest that our first five games which are carrying this dubious "#6 ranking" was anomalous.

'Nuff said.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
            Has someone been missing their AA meetings?:drinker:
            LOL TD!!!

Actually, I'm in wing DTs! Haven't had good wings in a while due to my inability to cook them of late.

...Must...move...back to UNY!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Week 7 vs Miami. 23-10 Probably the best showing by our Defense all year. It's a wonder what a real effort by your defense can do.....

Week 8 vs Detroit. 24-17 Our lack of D almost cost us the game...remember the missed catch in the endzone by the Lions as time expired?

Week 9 vs NE. 38-7. Did we even have a defense in that game? Our offense was playing catchup the entire game!!

Week 11 vs KC. Disappointing loss. Both sides to blame if you really want to blame anybody.

Week 12 vs Jets. 31-13. Another classic case where we played catchup all game. Our D couldn't stop anything, and we were forced to abandon our game plan early.

Week 13 vs Miami. 38-21. Once again, our D couldn't do a thing. Luckily our offense did.

Week 14 vs NE. This is one game that I will say we lost thanks to our offense. Drew's INT's cost us big time.

Comment

• LMB
                • Nov 2002

I guess the O is better at disguising it's weakness
                LMB

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                  • Jul 2002

wys, Yes our offensive production had dropped off. We were on a record pace. 19+ points a game still should win more than a few.

I look solely at takeaways. We are dead last in the league in that category.

Could the offense be more productive if they were given more chances?

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
                    • Jul 2002

Re: Offense/Defense Analysis:

Originally posted by Wys Guy

I say it's both. I say it's more the O

I assume this comment is made to get people going. Our D is the worst in the league. They are the #1 reason we are losing!

Do we have questionable play calling on O? Yes...most definately but that is not the #1 reason we are losing! the D can not stop anyone.

Do you really believe this offense is worse than our D?

Comment

• lunatic_bills_fan
                      • Oct 2002

Wys, in all fairness, you said the offence has everything it needs to be successful. I disagree. I believe they needed time, the first 6 games of the season threw everybody's perception out of wack. This offence will be explosive, once Henry gets a little more involved. And the PPG will go up substantially if our D would give our offence a short feild to work with once in a while.

Comment

Re: Offense/Defense Analysis:

Many are blaming the D for losing games for us. Well, here are some facts from this season:

Over the first 6 games the team scored an average of 32.3 points per game.

Over the first 6 games, the team allowed an average 34 points per game.

Over the past 7 games, the team has scored an average of 19.7 points per game.

Over the past 7 games, the team has allowed an average of 23 points per game.

32.3/34 over the first 6

19.7/23.0 over the last 7

The offense's production, or at least team scoring production, has dropped off by 39% in those two stretches.

The defense's production has increased by 32.4%.
                        Do we really need all the stat mumbo jumbo? We have a great offense which has had to play catch up every game because of the weak defense. Remember Bledsoe Bowl 1 when the pats scored on the FIRST DRIVE? That is jut ridiculous. As a result of all this happeneing almost every game, we are forced to throw the ball alot more than we would want to. Then we get shut down.

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
                          • Jul 2002

To say that the offense bears no fault for us going only 3-4 over that stretch is to be remiss. Especially when our offense could not even muster 17 points against the near last ranked defense of the Chiefs.

Come on Wys........................who here is saying the offense bears no fault for the 3-4 record over the last 7 games?

Bledsoe was ripped for his game Sunday. The facts are the only games we have won(aside from at Miami) we won them because the offense won them for us.

The O played well in 6 games ( Over 30 points)
                          They played OK in 3 others (Det, @Miami, Denver)
                          The played bad in 4 (KC, 2NE games, @JETS)

The D played good in 1 out of 13 games (@ Miami against a sucky QB)

They have sucked in 12 out of 13 games!

Nobody is saying the O does not deserve some blame. We are just saying the D deserves more!

Comment

Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
                            Nobody is saying the O does not deserve some blame. We are just saying the D deserves more!
                            Here here...

Comment

• Judge
                              • Aug 2002

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan

Week 14 vs NE. This is one game that I will say we lost thanks to our offense. Drew's INT's cost us big time.
                              This is one game where I will agree it was a joint effort, but the Bills D collapsed on the first play of the game, setting the tone for the first half.
                              Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!

Comment

Working...
                              X