PDA

View Full Version : Fourth Round mock from kiper

B-DON
04-17-2005, 12:36 PM
The fourth round of the NFL draft is an important one, as teams have gotten through the first day and are reevaluating their strategies based on what happened on Day 1.

This year is no differenct as small-school prospects (Northern Colorado wide receiver Vincent Jackson) and underrated major-college players (Georgia quarterback David Greene) get a lot of notice in the fourth round as teams look for hidden gems, and history says they can be found.

The roster of current NFL players taken in recent fourth rounds contains plenty of productive players on both sides of the ball (most recent selections listed first): Mewelde Moore, Domanick Davis, Onterrio Smith, Quentin Griffin, Lee Suggs, Asante Samuel, Alex Brown, Randy McMichael, Larry Foote, Najeh Davenport, Rudi Johnson, Justin McCareins, Na'il Diggs, Brandon Stokley, Roosevelt Colvin, Aaron Brooks, Az-Zahir Hakim, Michael Pittman and Lance Schulters.

The number of running backs on that list should be a nice confidence-booster for guys like Brandon Jacobs of Southern Illinois, Marion Barber III of Minnesota, Eric Shelton of Louisville and Ciatrick Fason of Florida, all of whom I project as fourth-rounders this year.

There are seven wideouts (two from UCLA) in my projection and six defensive backs, as well as small-school guys from places like Southern Miss, Cal Poly-SLO, Southeast Missouri State and San Diego State.

102. San Francisco 49ers: Courtney Roby, WR, Indiana
103. Cleveland Browns: Mike Montgomery, DL, Texas A&M
104. Miami Dolphins: Justin Beriault, DB, Ball St.
105. Oakland Raiders: Kelvin Hayden, CB, Illinois
106. Chicago Bears: Antonio Perkins, CB, Oklahoma
107. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Michael Boley, LB, Southern Miss
108. Tennessee Titans: Brandon Jacobs, RB, Southern Illinois
109. Dallas Cowboys: Rob Petitti, OT, Pittsburgh
110. New York Giants: Cedrick Williams, CB, Kansas St.
111. Arizona Cardinals: Ellis Hobbs, CB, Iowa St.
112. Washington Redskins: Marcus Lawrence, LB, South Carolina
113. Detroit Lions: Adrian McPherson, QB, Florida St.
114. Houston Texans: Marion Barber III, RB, Minnesota
115. Carolina Panthers: Vincent Fuller, DB, Virginia Tech
116. Kansas City Chiefs: Jordan Beck, LB, Cal Poly-SLO
117. St. Louis Rams: Chris Kemoeatu, OG, Utah
118. New Orleans Saints: David Greene, QB, Georgia
119. Cincinnati Bengals: Vincent Jackson, WR, Northern Colorado
120. Minnesota Vikings: Jonathan Welsh, LB, Wisconsin
121. Seattle Seahawks: Tab Perry, WR, UCLA
122. Buffalo Bills: Chris Myers, OL, Miami
123. Jacksonville Jaguars: Craig Bragg, WR, UCLA
124. Baltimore Ravens: Bill Swancutt, DE, Oregon St.
125. Green Bay Packers: Elton Brown, OG, Virginia
126. Seattle Seahawks (from Denver): J.R. Russell, WR, Louisville
127. New York Jets: Eric Shelton, RB, Louisville
128. Atlanta Falcons: Daniel Loper, OT, Texas Tech
129. Indianapolis Colts: Dan Connolly, OG, SE Missouri State
130. San Diego Chargers: Cornelius Wortham, LB, Alabama
131. Pittsburgh Steelers: Pete McMahon, OL, Iowa
132. Philadelphia Eagles: Kirk Morrison, LB, San Diego State
133. New England Patriots: Chase Lyman, WR, California
134. St. Louis Rams (compensatory pick): Dan Buenning, OG, Wisconsin
135. Indianapolis Colts (comp pick): Ciatrick Fason, RB, Florida
136. Tennessee Titans (comp pick): Brandon Jones, WR, Oklahoma

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-17-2005, 12:52 PM
If Courtney Roby drops to the 4th round, IMO, he will become one of those productive fourth rounders.

Dozerdog
04-17-2005, 12:54 PM
What Kiper has us taking

55. Buffalo Bills: Luis Castillo, DT, Northwestern
A feisty player with terrific intensity and a great motor.

86. Buffalo Bills: Kevin Everett, TE, Miami

122. Buffalo Bills: Chris Myers, OL, Miami

Castillo - didn't he test for banned substances at the combine? How stupid is that?

ShadowHawk7
04-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Not as stupid as picking a TE in the 3rd IMO..

I think they should add McGee to that list of productive 4th rounders.

DraftBoy
04-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Yea Castillo tested posistive, I think hed be a good 3rd or 4th round pick but I dont like him in the 2nd.

Lone Stranger
04-17-2005, 02:54 PM
I would be quite satisfied with the projected picks if that is how things end up(i.e. nothing happening from the Henry situation). All are reasonably qualified players.

gonzo1105
04-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Notice some of the players that he has falling to the 4th round? Roby, Perkins, Barber, Elton Brown, Morrison, Faison ....those are some good players.

YardRat
04-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Kiper's a doink....anybody he says the Bills are going to pick you might as well cross off the list, 'cause they ain't coming here.

Jayhawk
04-17-2005, 04:05 PM
I'd take brown at our fourth

DraftBoy
04-17-2005, 04:28 PM
I'd take brown at our fourth
I'd take Elton Brown at our 2nd, 3rd or 4th. The kid is a real talent and if he falls he's steal

gonzo1105
04-17-2005, 05:05 PM
I heard he is falling because he didn't do anything to better himself with the senior bowl or anything and that has made some GM's think he is lazy and doesn't want to work at getting better.

DraftBoy
04-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Well considering he's arguably the top G in the draft (depending on whether you put Baas and Spencer at C or G) then what exactly do they wanna see out of him? I watched him most of last season and he is the most dominant run blocking G in the NCAA and Id also say he is the best pull G Ive seen in nearly a decade. The lazy comment is bs to me having watched him all season he gave his all every play and left it all on the field.

Dozerdog
04-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Well considering he's arguably the top G in the draft (depending on whether you put Baas and Spencer at C or G) then what exactly do they wanna see out of him? I watched him most of last season and he is the most dominant run blocking G in the NCAA and Id also say he is the best pull G Ive seen in nearly a decade. The lazy comment is bs to me having watched him all season he gave his all every play and left it all on the field.
You have been watching guards pull since you were 9?

The Spaz
04-17-2005, 07:22 PM

:lol::rofl:

Yasgur's Farm
04-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Notice some of the players that he has falling to the 4th round? Roby, Perkins, Barber, Elton Brown, Morrison, Faison ....those are some good players.Not to mention Vincent Jackson and Marion Barber III and even Eric Shelton who at 1 time was climbing fast.

It looks like the 4th round will yield a lot of talent.

DraftBoy
04-17-2005, 08:16 PM

10, im 20...20-10=10 so :down:

BuffaloRanger
04-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Kiper's draft sucks.

Castillo would be 4th on the Bills DT depth chart - and tested Positive.

Everett would be 3rd TE if our other TEs are healthy.

4th Rd - wait until now to look at selecting OL?

The first 3 selections would hardly see the field this season.

Where do the experts have Fresno State guard Logan Mankins being drafted? Word is the Bills like him. Adam Terry could have a positive effect on Bills "regionalism". Also Geir Gundmendson (sp) that Center from Albany could be a late round guy - McNally had dinner with his coach a month back to talk about the guy.

Stating the obvious here. I don't see the Bills selecting 3 OL in this draft, so if they like a certain OL in the later rounds, they may do something else early.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-18-2005, 04:16 AM
Kiper's draft sucks.

Castillo would be 4th on the Bills DT depth chart - and tested Positive.

Everett would be 3rd TE if our other TEs are healthy.

4th Rd - wait until now to look at selecting OL?

The first 3 selections would hardly see the field this season.

Where do the experts have Fresno State guard Logan Mankins being drafted? Word is the Bills like him. Adam Terry could have a positive effect on Bills "regionalism". Also Geir Gundmendson (sp) that Center from Albany could be a late round guy - McNally had dinner with his coach a month back to talk about the guy.

Stating the obvious here. I don't see the Bills selecting 3 OL in this draft, so if they like a certain OL in the later rounds, they may do something else early.
I agree! And, I can't see them taking Myers there. Even though he's a OG, Dan Buenning who he has going to St.Louis at 134 is more the type of player that the Bills seem to like and probably has a better chance of becoming a starter in the NFL.

I don't see the Bills going the route that Kiper is projecting, nor do I see some of those players that he has going at the top of the round dropping quite that far into the Fourth Round. I think Kiper, like a lot of people, is over-estimating the Bills' need to replace P.Williams with their first draft pick.

DraftBoy
04-18-2005, 06:42 AM

This is the one thing I dont wanna see the Bills do in drafting regional players just bc they are regional. Terry is good but by no means do I wanna see us throw away later round picks on regional players bc we need to improve our "regionalism". we already did once on Drew Haddad and struck out, granted he was a 7th round pick but everybody has the chance to make an impact.

mysticsoto
04-18-2005, 07:19 AM
I agree! And, I can't see them taking Myers there. Even though he's a OG, Dan Buenning who he has going to St.Louis at 134 is more the type of player that the Bills seem to like and probably has a better chance of becoming a starter in the NFL.

I don't see the Bills going the route that Kiper is projecting, nor do I see some of those players that he has going at the top of the round dropping quite that far into the Fourth Round. I think Kiper, like a lot of people, is over-estimating the Bills' need to replace P.Williams with their first draft pick. I've noticed this in a lot of Mock drafts. You can tell they don't know the Bills situation well and all they can see is that we lost JJ and PW. They know nothing else on who we've acquired, possible movements/shifts in roles in the O-line, or even possible newcomers (Peters, Bannan) who can help out. I think it is absolutely ludicrous to say we might draft an OG. We are overflowing at that position. Baas is the only exception b'cse he can also play Center. But in truth, I could see TD drafting Incognito who can play *ANY* position on the line!!! If it weren't for his bad attitude, he'd probably be higher up in the rankings!!!

BuffaloRanger
04-18-2005, 11:53 AM
This is the one thing I dont wanna see the Bills do in drafting regional players just bc they are regional. Terry is good but by no means do I wanna see us throw away later round picks on regional players bc we need to improve our "regionalism". we already did once on Drew Haddad and struck out, granted he was a 7th round pick but everybody has the chance to make an impact.

Haddad was 7th round pick that saw some success with the Colts after the Bills cut him. Face it, 7th round picks are expendable. IF two players are equal in every way but one played for mississippi and one for SU, the Bills should take the local boy every time.

When was the last time there the Bills selected a guy from SU? They passed on some good players. Terry could help the Bills. Gundmendson might even get drafted, but could be a decent undrafted FA pickup.

mysticsoto
04-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Haddad was 7th round pick that saw some success with the Colts after the Bills cut him. Face it, 7th round picks are expendable. IF two players are equal in every way but one played for mississippi and one for SU, the Bills should take the local boy every time.

When was the last time there the Bills selected a guy from SU? They passed on some good players. Terry could help the Bills. Gundmendson might even get drafted, but could be a decent undrafted FA pickup.
I don't mind grabbing OT Terry, but I'd take the chance that he might fall into the 4th rd. I'd prefer our top 3 picks to be WR/CB/C (not necessarily in that order). I don't think Terry would be able to start and would probably be a backup for atleast a year. What bothers me about this is that if we continue to groom Jason Peters to move into the LT position, we don't want to grab a high draft pick for that position also so that they can sit on the bench - instead, players at the WR, CB and Center might get their chance to start in the not too distant future. So those are the positions I'm looking to the most for the early rds of the draft.

DraftBoy
04-18-2005, 12:51 PM

This logic makes no sense, you always take the better talent school or not. Screw home town thats a joke. If Bills fans need the Bills to take a local boy to cheer for the Bills than they need a reality check.

Earthquake Enyart
04-18-2005, 12:56 PM
No way McPherson lasts until the 4th.

Castillo claims that his steroid use was a one time thing. He hurt his elbow before the combine and needed to pump up to improve his performance there.

jamze132
04-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Whats the point of guessing who will draft who in THE 4TH FREAKIN' ROUND???????????????

I am willing to bet every zone buck that I have or will ever have that not one team will draft who Kiper says they will from this mock draft.

It's rediculous.

SabreEleven
04-18-2005, 05:58 PM

I wonder if he likes gladiator movies.

BuffaloRanger
04-18-2005, 11:14 PM
This logic makes no sense, you always take the better talent school or not. Screw home town thats a joke. If Bills fans need the Bills to take a local boy to cheer for the Bills than they need a reality check.

Go back and READ WHAT I WROTE. If two players rate out EXACTLY THE SAME, the Bills should pick the one with New York connections.

I NEVER SAID PICK A BAD PLAYER OVER A GOOD PLAYER JUST BECAUSE HE WENT TO SU!

Do I need to draw a diagram? :blowup:

DraftBoy
04-19-2005, 12:34 AM
Go back and READ WHAT I WROTE. If two players rate out EXACTLY THE SAME, the Bills should pick the one with New York connections.

I NEVER SAID PICK A BAD PLAYER OVER A GOOD PLAYER JUST BECAUSE HE WENT TO SU!

Do I need to draw a diagram? :blowup:

take two steps back, hold your breath for 10 seconds, deep breath in deep breath out...Now your logic still makes no sense. Under no terms should a team imo ever take a player of equal value (which btw is impossible) and use his region as the deciding factor. To me that makes no sense except as a lame attempt to draw in fans which wont work bc nobody really cares. No hit the caps lock key again and try another response, and hey if you can get a diagram to prove your point, more power to you, but ill give you pos rep anyways for the idea.

The_Philster
04-19-2005, 05:04 AM
actually, some people get excited about seeing a local product playing for the team. Family members and friends who might not usually make a Bills game will end up showing

BuffaloRanger
04-19-2005, 10:56 AM
take two steps back, hold your breath for 10 seconds, deep breath in deep breath out...Now your logic still makes no sense. Under no terms should a team imo ever take a player of equal value (which btw is impossible) and use his region as the deciding factor. To me that makes no sense except as a lame attempt to draw in fans which wont work bc nobody really cares. No hit the caps lock key again and try another response, and hey if you can get a diagram to prove your point, more power to you, but ill give you pos rep anyways for the idea.

You underestimate the value of having a local college star on the Bills because it hasn't happend in so long. If two players are of equal value at the same position how do you propose the Bills chose? Do you propose a coin toss? Seriously. I am not saying pass over a better player.

Adam Terry, OT, SU_________________Chris Colmer, OT, NC State
late 2nd/early 3rd Rd pick_____________late 2nd/early 3rd Rd pick

Who do you take? Both players grade out very similar in several different draft publications. You may have your own list of selection criteria that is different than the Bills. The Bills want to be a regional team, not just Buffalo. Hence, Training Camp in Rochester. Canada Day at the Ralph. And if you don't think the Bills selecting a Stud OT from Syracuse University will get media play in Central New York, resulting in more fans there following the Bills, (and buying tickets) then you need to get out of A-town more.

I am not saying the Bills should selct a guy like Terry in front of Jammal Brown, who grades out much higher.

You claim that that it is impossible for a team to grade two players so close that it makes it a difficult decision. I say it happens to alot of teams every draft. You always hear about close votes, with the owner having to make the final decision. When the Bills face one of these close votes, this draft or in the future, if the player grew up locally or played in NY that should be a + for that player.

DraftBoy
04-19-2005, 12:13 PM
You underestimate the value of having a local college star on the Bills because it hasn't happend in so long. If two players are of equal value at the same position how do you propose the Bills chose? Do you propose a coin toss? Seriously. I am not saying pass over a better player.

Adam Terry, OT, SU_________________Chris Colmer, OT, NC State
late 2nd/early 3rd Rd pick_____________late 2nd/early 3rd Rd pick

Who do you take? Both players grade out very similar in several different draft publications. You may have your own list of selection criteria that is different than the Bills. The Bills want to be a regional team, not just Buffalo. Hence, Training Camp in Rochester. Canada Day at the Ralph. And if you don't think the Bills selecting a Stud OT from Syracuse University will get media play in Central New York, resulting in more fans there following the Bills, (and buying tickets) then you need to get out of A-town more.

I am not saying the Bills should selct a guy like Terry in front of Jammal Brown, who grades out much higher.

You claim that that it is impossible for a team to grade two players so close that it makes it a difficult decision. I say it happens to alot of teams every draft. You always hear about close votes, with the owner having to make the final decision. When the Bills face one of these close votes, this draft or in the future, if the player grew up locally or played in NY that should be a + for that player.

Your speculation about the grades is beyond belief. It is impossible to have two players grade the exact same, each one will have their own individual strengths and weaknesses. For example one may do 23 reps and the other 22, but the 22 got a point higher on the wonderlic. The 23 reps though ran .01 seconds faster in the 40. Local affiliation weighs nothing on anybody I would ever consider drafting. Only time id take it into mind is with UDFA. Not even to consider college coach reviews, interviews with your team, injury histories, signability, agent they have, reliationship with that agent. So like I said before it is impossible to grade two players exactly the same way too many variables beyond the ones I even mentioned.

And to answer your question you take Terry he is above and beyond a better talent than Colmer. Having seen Colmer play alot in the ACC he is a bit overrated and was taken to school by some of the lesser known pass rushers which is really distrubing.