PDA

View Full Version : Which position do the Bills need the most help at?

McGaheehee
04-17-2005, 08:00 PM
I was reading around in here, and I saw that Top 10s list which is awesome cause it shows you overall who are the top players at each of their positions. But, I havent been able to find a good thread/link showing where the Bills are weak and who we might pick in the draft. I also heard that Henry/Bucs rumor. Is it the real deal or just the MSM getting all hot-and-bothered for nothing?

Can anyone fill me in with what the conventional wisdom is about whats gonna go down Draft day? Thanks all... and Go Bills Go!!

ShadowHawk7
04-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Can anyone fill me in with what the conventional wisdom is about whats gonna go down Draft day?

Yes.

:goodpost:

I think the Bills will definitley draft some players this draft. Don't look for the Bills to draft a waterboy early however, this draft is thin at the top, and they already have some great potential. (I think Jimmy will have a breakout year. You heard it hear first.) ESPN wire reports the Bills are interested in trading up in order to snag a blue chip towel boy though.

camelcowboy
04-17-2005, 10:17 PM
We'll in my opinion the dark horse in the draft is going to be mr peanut, He may be undersized but he is salty, Jim Mcnally likes his presence in the locker room.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Typ0
04-18-2005, 02:47 AM
I don't think positional needs play into it as much as people think. The long term health of the team depends heavily on draft success which is a crap shoot in a big way...because of that you have to rely on the dollars you spend on talent evaluators and take the players you think have the best chance to succeed.

DraftBoy
04-18-2005, 07:00 AM
1. OG
2. OT
3. OC
4. DE
5. DT
6. S
7. WR
8. RB
9. QB
10. CB

mysticsoto
04-18-2005, 07:41 AM
1. OG
2. OT
3. OC
4. DE
5. DT
6. S
7. WR
8. RB
9. QB
10. CB
OG as our 1st and most important??? We are overflowing with guards!!! I don't think we have a need-need at any position but if I were to pick, I'd say:

1. OT - However, if we get a good C, TT can move to this spot negating the need. B'cse Centers are plentiful, we can grab one in the later rds and still fill this position nicely
2. C - see above
3. WR - b'cse of what's above, this is the next logical place to pick a draft choice. Reed has not produced since his 1st season, and JP needs weapons. A weapon such as Matt Jones would be hard to pass up!
4. CB - For insurance in case we lose NC - and it doesn't hurt to have good depth.
5. K - Needed to repalce Lindell (unless he improves this season some more), but cannot use a draft pick for this. Could take a look at the undrafted however.
6. DE - It'd be nice to have someone complement Schobel alot better than what Kelsay and Denney are doing.
7. DT - This area is up in the air since we will have a new starter to take over PW's position.
8. S - Coy Wire is good at ST, but it'd be nice if he were a good S also.
9. ILB - A fletcher replacement will need to be found sometime
10. OLB - Posey is average, but it'd be nice to have someone outstanding...

DraftBoy
04-18-2005, 08:18 AM
OG as our 1st and most important??? We are overflowing with guards!!! I don't think we have a need-need at any position but if I were to pick, I'd say:

1. OT - However, if we get a good C, TT can move to this spot negating the need. B'cse Centers are plentiful, we can grab one in the later rds and still fill this position nicely
2. C - see above
3. WR - b'cse of what's above, this is the next logical place to pick a draft choice. Reed has not produced since his 1st season, and JP needs weapons. A weapon such as Matt Jones would be hard to pass up!
4. CB - For insurance in case we lose NC - and it doesn't hurt to have good depth.
5. K - Needed to repalce Lindell (unless he improves this season some more), but cannot use a draft pick for this. Could take a look at the undrafted however.
6. DE - It'd be nice to have someone complement Schobel alot better than what Kelsay and Denney are doing.
7. DT - This area is up in the air since we will have a new starter to take over PW's position.

We are overflowing with bad-avg G's not good ones. Also you have WR as a #3 need and we arent overflowing there?? CB also is an iffy pick should we lose NC if not it can be put off till next season when he leaves in FAcy

Rhettoric
04-18-2005, 08:22 AM
According to this website the Buffalo Bills front office has no postions that need to be filled at this time, but keep monitoring the site something is bound to come up.

http://footballjobs.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/jobskey.cfm?s=Bills

mysticsoto
04-18-2005, 08:45 AM
We are overflowing with bad-avg G's not good ones. Also you have WR as a #3 need and we arent overflowing there?? CB also is an iffy pick should we lose NC if not it can be put off till next season when he leaves in FAcy
CV has the right side locked up and Bennie Anderson is a great Guard and will lock up the left. If not, we always have Tucker to fall back on, Lawrence Smith who improved a great deal last season, or Justin Bannan who McNally saw had the potential to be a great Guard and played reasonably well with limited experience last year - yes, we are fine at Guard.

WR is a #3 need b'cse right now we only have 2 good WRs and if either of them were to go down, we'd be in trouble. Neither Reed nor Aiken have produced or done much. Alot of people speculate that it was b'cse of Bledsoe locking on to Moulds too much. Maybe that's true, but having a Matt Jones in that mix would increase the danger factor of our WR corps by a magnitude of difference.

I have no doubt TD will get a CB this season. Whether we get to keep NC or not. There is some good depth and it doesn't hurt to grab one that we can develop later (and possibly for next year). Possibly a Brandon Browner or one like him would be good for us!!!

DraftBoy
04-18-2005, 10:05 AM
CV has the right side locked up and Bennie Anderson is a great Guard and will lock up the left. If not, we always have Tucker to fall back on, Lawrence Smith who improved a great deal last season, or Justin Bannan who McNally saw had the potential to be a great Guard and played reasonably well with limited experience last year - yes, we are fine at Guard.

WR is a #3 need b'cse right now we only have 2 good WRs and if either of them were to go down, we'd be in trouble. Neither Reed nor Aiken have produced or done much. Alot of people speculate that it was b'cse of Bledsoe locking on to Moulds too much. Maybe that's true, but having a Matt Jones in that mix would increase the danger factor of our WR corps by a magnitude of difference.

I have no doubt TD will get a CB this season. Whether we get to keep NC or not. There is some good depth and it doesn't hurt to grab one that we can develop later (and possibly for next year). Possibly a Brandon Browner or one like him would be good for us!!!

When did Bennie Anderson become a great guard all the sudden? He is as unproven as the rest of them are. Just bc we signed him does not mean he is great. Also Reed/Aiken could easily fill in as the #3 Reed showed he's capable his rookie year and Aiken has never really been a fair shake at it. Bledsoe did lock on too much but if we get Matt Jones it wont be bc we need a WR it will be bc he is BPA.

ShadowHawk7
04-18-2005, 12:12 PM

2. C - see above

I like that a lot, except I would put DT in front of K.

mysticsoto
04-18-2005, 01:23 PM
When did Bennie Anderson become a great guard all the sudden? He is as unproven as the rest of them are. Just bc we signed him does not mean he is great. Also Reed/Aiken could easily fill in as the #3 Reed showed he's capable his rookie year and Aiken has never really been a fair shake at it. Bledsoe did lock on too much but if we get Matt Jones it wont be bc we need a WR it will be bc he is BPA.
Bennie Anderson should be better than what we had before. Ross Tucker is okay, but he came on his own late after Lawrence Smith continued to make rookie errors. Anderson is the road grater that we need for a smash mouth foot ball team.

Reed showed he was capable his rookie year and then never showed up again. I'm still waiting for Aiken to atleast beat Reed out.

I think with MJ our WR corp would be almost if not more dangerous than Oakland's corp!!!

DraftBoy
04-18-2005, 01:32 PM
I can agree with your assessment of our WR and I would love to get Matt Jones in here but my point is that Bennie Anderson is still an unproven G as a starter and we will need to wait before annoiting him a great guard.

mysticsoto
04-18-2005, 01:59 PM
I can agree with your assessment of our WR and I would love to get Matt Jones in here but my point is that Bennie Anderson is still an unproven G as a starter and we will need to wait before annoiting him a great guard. For the record, I never said he was a "great" guard. I just said that we are overflowing with Guards. I think we have enough at that position that we can let McNally choose who is the best and get the most he can out of him. Anderson has been on a team that saw Jamal run for 2000+ years. So clearly he is not a pushover (as if his physical stats didn't state that). Given his experience and that McNally will now be coaching him, I will give McNally the benefit of the doubt that he can turn Anderson into a decent if not great LG - atleast against the run - which is maybe what we care about the most. I definitely prefer him over DeMulling!!!

Now the question is...with everyone predicting that MJ might be gone even by the early 2nd round...do we trade up for him - and if so - how much are we willing to give up?

jamze132
04-18-2005, 04:19 PM
I think if we had a kicker who could make a long field goal, we would win a couple more games.

ShadowHawk7
04-18-2005, 05:05 PM
As do I. Bring in a few UDFA Kickers and see what they can do.

Typ0
04-18-2005, 05:05 PM
I think if we had a kicker who could make a long field goal, we would win a couple more games.

some better field position on kickoffs would be nice too...in a game of inches Lindell sucks!

Sportsuser101
04-18-2005, 05:31 PM
I'd like to know when does a guy become proven? I mean Anderson blocked for a 2,000 yard rusher 2 years ago. He has been solid at pass protection and penalties and is a monster in the run game. What more do you want to show you that he's proven?

McGee
04-18-2005, 06:09 PM
I'd like to know when does a guy become proven? I mean Anderson blocked for a 2,000 yard rusher 2 years ago. He has been solid at pass protection and penalties and is a monster in the run game. What more do you want to show you that he's proven?Maybe how he'll fare at LG or without Ogden next to him??? :idunno:

DraftBoy
04-18-2005, 11:02 PM
CV has the right side locked up and Bennie Anderson is a great Guard and will lock up the left.

For the record, I never said he was a "great" guard.

Sorry to be a d**k, but yea you did and one reason I made my point, had you not said it no point would of been made but for the most part I agree with you.

mysticsoto
04-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Sorry to be a d**k, but yea you did and one reason I made my point, had you not said it no point would of been made but for the most part I agree with you.
Hey, stop being a d**K. :D

Maybe I should have said, "...and in my opinion, Bennie Anderson will be a great guard..." I like his physical stats...I like his history and what he's done up to now...and I like that he will have a good coach to further improve himself and maximize his role on a smash mouth running football team. I think he has what we need in a guard and I think he will be successful here.

DraftBoy
04-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Hey, stop being a d**K. :D

Maybe I should have said, "...and in my opinion, Bennie Anderson will be a great guard..." I like his physical stats...I like his history and what he's done up to now...and I like that he will have a good coach to further improve himself and maximize his role on a smash mouth running football team. I think he has what we need in a guard and I think he will be successful here.

I completely agree with that infact I like Anderson alot better than CV and thats is my bigger concern is him and if he can do as well as he did last season.