Which position do the Bills need the most help at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McGaheehee
    • Dec 2004

Which position do the Bills need the most help at?

I was reading around in here, and I saw that Top 10s list which is awesome cause it shows you overall who are the top players at each of their positions. But, I havent been able to find a good thread/link showing where the Bills are weak and who we might pick in the draft. I also heard that Henry/Bucs rumor. Is it the real deal or just the MSM getting all hot-and-bothered for nothing?

Can anyone fill me in with what the conventional wisdom is about whats gonna go down Draft day? Thanks all... and Go Bills Go!!
    v. Bledsoe, Drew (blds)
    v. verb
    1. To be completely unable to read a Blitz: "Wow, you really Bledsoed that Blitz read"
    2. To be in a constant condition resembling Deer in headlights: "Are you ok? You look like Drew Bledsoe"
    3. To be consistantly able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory: "That sure-win was completely Bledsoed"
    v. Lindell, Rian (lndl)
    v. verb
    1. The act of resembling a NFL kicker yet being unable to fulfill the duties of one: "I thought he kicked balls for a living? Looks more like hes a Lindell"
    2. To be completely unable to kick a ball in pressure situations when called upon to do so: "He missed that post by 15 yards! What a Lindell!"
    3. To be consistantly able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory: see Bledsoe, Drew
  • ShadowHawk7
    Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by McGaheehee
    Can anyone fill me in with what the conventional wisdom is about whats gonna go down Draft day?
    Yes.

I think the Bills will definitley draft some players this draft. Don't look for the Bills to draft a waterboy early however, this draft is thin at the top, and they already have some great potential. (I think Jimmy will have a breakout year. You heard it hear first.) ESPN wire reports the Bills are interested in trading up in order to snag a blue chip towel boy though.
    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
    -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• camelcowboy
      • Mar 2005

We'll in my opinion the dark horse in the draft is going to be mr peanut, He may be undersized but he is salty, Jim Mcnally likes his presence in the locker room.

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

I don't think positional needs play into it as much as people think. The long term health of the team depends heavily on draft success which is a crap shoot in a big way...because of that you have to rely on the dollars you spend on talent evaluators and take the players you think have the best chance to succeed.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

1. OG
          2. OT
          3. OC
          4. DE
          5. DT
          6. S
          7. WR
          8. RB
          9. QB
          10. CB
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• mysticsoto
            Too sober for this...
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
            1. OG
            2. OT
            3. OC
            4. DE
            5. DT
            6. S
            7. WR
            8. RB
            9. QB
            10. CB
            OG as our 1st and most important??? We are overflowing with guards!!! I don't think we have a need-need at any position but if I were to pick, I'd say:

1. OT - However, if we get a good C, TT can move to this spot negating the need. B'cse Centers are plentiful, we can grab one in the later rds and still fill this position nicely
            2. C - see above
            3. WR - b'cse of what's above, this is the next logical place to pick a draft choice. Reed has not produced since his 1st season, and JP needs weapons. A weapon such as Matt Jones would be hard to pass up!
            4. CB - For insurance in case we lose NC - and it doesn't hurt to have good depth.
            5. K - Needed to repalce Lindell (unless he improves this season some more), but cannot use a draft pick for this. Could take a look at the undrafted however.
            6. DE - It'd be nice to have someone complement Schobel alot better than what Kelsay and Denney are doing.
            7. DT - This area is up in the air since we will have a new starter to take over PW's position.
            8. S - Coy Wire is good at ST, but it'd be nice if he were a good S also.
            9. ILB - A fletcher replacement will need to be found sometime
            10. OLB - Posey is average, but it'd be nice to have someone outstanding...

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mysticsoto
              OG as our 1st and most important??? We are overflowing with guards!!! I don't think we have a need-need at any position but if I were to pick, I'd say:

1. OT - However, if we get a good C, TT can move to this spot negating the need. B'cse Centers are plentiful, we can grab one in the later rds and still fill this position nicely
              2. C - see above
              3. WR - b'cse of what's above, this is the next logical place to pick a draft choice. Reed has not produced since his 1st season, and JP needs weapons. A weapon such as Matt Jones would be hard to pass up!
              4. CB - For insurance in case we lose NC - and it doesn't hurt to have good depth.
              5. K - Needed to repalce Lindell (unless he improves this season some more), but cannot use a draft pick for this. Could take a look at the undrafted however.
              6. DE - It'd be nice to have someone complement Schobel alot better than what Kelsay and Denney are doing.
              7. DT - This area is up in the air since we will have a new starter to take over PW's position.

We are overflowing with bad-avg G's not good ones. Also you have WR as a #3 need and we arent overflowing there?? CB also is an iffy pick should we lose NC if not it can be put off till next season when he leaves in FAcy
              COMING SOON...

Comment

• Rhettoric
                • Mar 2005

According to this website the Buffalo Bills front office has no postions that need to be filled at this time, but keep monitoring the site something is bound to come up.

http://footballjobs.teamworkonline.c...ey.cfm?s=Bills
                "Is his junk out?....Now it's a party."

Comment

• mysticsoto
                  Too sober for this...
                  • Apr 2004

We are overflowing with bad-avg G's not good ones. Also you have WR as a #3 need and we arent overflowing there?? CB also is an iffy pick should we lose NC if not it can be put off till next season when he leaves in FAcy
                  CV has the right side locked up and Bennie Anderson is a great Guard and will lock up the left. If not, we always have Tucker to fall back on, Lawrence Smith who improved a great deal last season, or Justin Bannan who McNally saw had the potential to be a great Guard and played reasonably well with limited experience last year - yes, we are fine at Guard.

WR is a #3 need b'cse right now we only have 2 good WRs and if either of them were to go down, we'd be in trouble. Neither Reed nor Aiken have produced or done much. Alot of people speculate that it was b'cse of Bledsoe locking on to Moulds too much. Maybe that's true, but having a Matt Jones in that mix would increase the danger factor of our WR corps by a magnitude of difference.

I have no doubt TD will get a CB this season. Whether we get to keep NC or not. There is some good depth and it doesn't hurt to grab one that we can develop later (and possibly for next year). Possibly a Brandon Browner or one like him would be good for us!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

CV has the right side locked up and Bennie Anderson is a great Guard and will lock up the left. If not, we always have Tucker to fall back on, Lawrence Smith who improved a great deal last season, or Justin Bannan who McNally saw had the potential to be a great Guard and played reasonably well with limited experience last year - yes, we are fine at Guard.

WR is a #3 need b'cse right now we only have 2 good WRs and if either of them were to go down, we'd be in trouble. Neither Reed nor Aiken have produced or done much. Alot of people speculate that it was b'cse of Bledsoe locking on to Moulds too much. Maybe that's true, but having a Matt Jones in that mix would increase the danger factor of our WR corps by a magnitude of difference.

I have no doubt TD will get a CB this season. Whether we get to keep NC or not. There is some good depth and it doesn't hurt to grab one that we can develop later (and possibly for next year). Possibly a Brandon Browner or one like him would be good for us!!!

When did Bennie Anderson become a great guard all the sudden? He is as unproven as the rest of them are. Just bc we signed him does not mean he is great. Also Reed/Aiken could easily fill in as the #3 Reed showed he's capable his rookie year and Aiken has never really been a fair shake at it. Bledsoe did lock on too much but if we get Matt Jones it wont be bc we need a WR it will be bc he is BPA.
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                      Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                      • Mar 2003

2. C - see above
                      I like that a lot, except I would put DT in front of K.
                      "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                      -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• mysticsoto
                        Too sober for this...
                        • Apr 2004

When did Bennie Anderson become a great guard all the sudden? He is as unproven as the rest of them are. Just bc we signed him does not mean he is great. Also Reed/Aiken could easily fill in as the #3 Reed showed he's capable his rookie year and Aiken has never really been a fair shake at it. Bledsoe did lock on too much but if we get Matt Jones it wont be bc we need a WR it will be bc he is BPA.
                        Bennie Anderson should be better than what we had before. Ross Tucker is okay, but he came on his own late after Lawrence Smith continued to make rookie errors. Anderson is the road grater that we need for a smash mouth foot ball team.

Reed showed he was capable his rookie year and then never showed up again. I'm still waiting for Aiken to atleast beat Reed out.

I think with MJ our WR corp would be almost if not more dangerous than Oakland's corp!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

I can agree with your assessment of our WR and I would love to get Matt Jones in here but my point is that Bennie Anderson is still an unproven G as a starter and we will need to wait before annoiting him a great guard.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• mysticsoto
                            Too sober for this...
                            • Apr 2004

I can agree with your assessment of our WR and I would love to get Matt Jones in here but my point is that Bennie Anderson is still an unproven G as a starter and we will need to wait before annoiting him a great guard.
                            For the record, I never said he was a "great" guard. I just said that we are overflowing with Guards. I think we have enough at that position that we can let McNally choose who is the best and get the most he can out of him. Anderson has been on a team that saw Jamal run for 2000+ years. So clearly he is not a pushover (as if his physical stats didn't state that). Given his experience and that McNally will now be coaching him, I will give McNally the benefit of the doubt that he can turn Anderson into a decent if not great LG - atleast against the run - which is maybe what we care about the most. I definitely prefer him over DeMulling!!!

Now the question is...with everyone predicting that MJ might be gone even by the early 2nd round...do we trade up for him - and if so - how much are we willing to give up?

Comment

• jamze132
                              • Jun 2003

I think if we had a kicker who could make a long field goal, we would win a couple more games.

Comment

Working...
                              X