PDA

View Full Version : MMQB: Top 12 picks

Dicknoze69
04-18-2005, 12:54 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/04/18/mmqb.draft.smith/index.html

Here is Peter Kings 12 pick mock draft:

SF - QB Alex Smith - isn't sure the Niners will take him, but feels that he will be the #1 pick regardless

TB (via MIA) - QB Aaron Rodgers - TB gives up 2nd rounder to move up. Limits our options on a potential TH to TB scenario

Cleveland - WR Braylon Edwards

Chicago - RB Cedric Benson - PK heard from the agent community that this is a near-lock

Minn (via MIA) - RB Ronnie Brown - Miami deals down again for another 2nd, and Minny, who is unhappy with RB by committee.

Tenn - CB Antrel Rolle

Miami - RB Cadillac Williams

Arizona - CB Adam Jones - Good for us!!!

Wash - CB Carlos Rogers

Det - LB Derrick Johnson - no brainer

Dal - LB DeMarcus Ware - Parcells prefers Ware over Merriman

SD - WR Mike Williams

Also, PK feels Matt Jones will be gone by the time the Eagles pick at #35.

Also, a Bills note about Frank Reich's Call to Courage Breakfast, where Reich gave Jon Kitna an award.

If this plays true, Miami makes out like friggin' bandits.

Earthquake Enyart
04-18-2005, 01:00 PM
I don't understand all this Tampa QB talk. They just reupped Griese for big bucks and are supposedly high on Simms.

I also don't see Minny taking an RB if Mike Williams or Edwards is there.

BuffRanger
04-18-2005, 01:10 PM
agreed ^

Tampa's going WR or RB. Simms is a good QB and Tampa is high on him. Trading for Aaron Rodgers would be piss poor GM'ing. If he falls to # 5 though..... well, anything's possible.

Earthquake Enyart
04-18-2005, 01:13 PM
If either QB falls to 4, the Bears would have to think long and hard about taking him.

Dicknoze69
04-18-2005, 01:26 PM
per Peter King: "And whether you think it's valid, Jon Gruden has no desire to go with Brian Griese or Chris Simms as his longterm quarterback, and Gruden is making the call."

In fact, King mentions that there's a real good chance that Simms is traded for a 3rd round pick sometime soon.

Earthquake Enyart
04-18-2005, 01:42 PM
per Peter King: "And whether you think it's valid, Jon Gruden has no desire to go with Brian Griese or Chris Simms as his longterm quarterback, and Gruden is making the call."

In fact, King mentions that there's a real good chance that Simms is traded for a 3rd round pick sometime soon.
Well, if this is true, this year is toast, their cap is a mess and Griese will turn out to be a pretty expensive backup.

mysticsoto
04-18-2005, 01:54 PM
I don't understand all this Tampa QB talk. They just reupped Griese for big bucks and are supposedly high on Simms.

I also don't see Minny taking an RB if Mike Williams or Edwards is there. Exactly what I was going to say. If Mike Williams is there, there is no way, Minnesota lets him go - and no way they would trade up and lose draft picks just to get a RB when they have several decent ones and the draft is full of even more decent RBs. I can see them drafting MW with their 1st pick and then going defense with their 2nd 1st round pick...

Dicknoze69
04-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Would you rather have several decent options at RB, or a a player who you feel will be a perennial Pro Bowler ?

To be honest, I like Minny's WR corps more than I like their RB corps. I don't think Bennett is Tice's kind of back, especially hurt, Smith is one bong hit away from a 4 game suspension, and Moore is a nice change of pace guy, but not a featured back.

Earthquake Enyart
04-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Would you rather have several decent options at RB, or a a player who you feel will be a perennial Pro Bowler ?

To be honest, I like Minny's WR corps more than I like their RB corps. I don't think Bennett is Tice's kind of back, especially hurt, Smith is one bong hit away from a 4 game suspension, and Moore is a nice change of pace guy, but not a featured back.
Burleson and Marcus Robinson start now. I'd go WR.

BuffaloRanger
04-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Why should TB move up even if they wanted Rodgers? He could still be there at #5. And why not stay at #5, select a WR, and trade your 2nd for TH. Give Griese a couple more weapons and hope Simms develops.

Why the hell would Minn give up a 2nd pick to move up two spots? Tenn isn't picking a RB at #6. If Minn stayed put, and Miami picked a RB, Minn would still get either Williams or Brown. It makes no sense.

This is the dream draft for fins fans. Pick up 2 x 2nd rdrs and still get the RB you wanted.

mysticsoto
04-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Why should TB move up even if they wanted Rodgers? He could still be there at #5. And why not stay at #5, select a WR, and trade your 2nd for TH. Give Griese a couple more weapons and hope Simms develops.

Why the hell would Minn give up a 2nd pick to move up two spots? Tenn isn't picking a RB at #6. If Minn stayed put, and Miami picked a RB, Minn would still get either Williams or Brown. It makes no sense.

This is the dream draft for fins fans. Pick up 2 x 2nd rdrs and still get the RB you wanted.
I was just going to say that this draft is very Miami-biased...

Minnesota ends up looking like an idiot. Even TB...there is no QB in this draft that should rate high enough to do trade ups. They're all mediocre at best

And as you said, there is no reason for Minn to trade up when there are still great RBs that haven't been picked.

If people want to believe drivel like this could happen - let them. But Minn will most likely want to replace Moss with a tall, capable WR like Mike Williams, barring any good WRs available, they will probably turn to defense and go with Shawne Merriman or someone like him to boost their DE/OLB corp and help provide better pass rushes.

NJFINSFAN1
04-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Simms has been talked about going to the Browns for months. If they get a QB, he will be traded.

PS

i know this for a fact, I know the family! And the Browns have made contact with the Bucc's months ago! Will it happen??? I don't know!

NJFINSFAN1
04-18-2005, 03:06 PM
I was just going to say that this draft is very Miami-biased...

Minnesota ends up looking like an idiot. Even TB...there is no QB in this draft that should rate high enough to do trade ups. They're all mediocre at best

And as you said, there is no reason for Minn to trade up when there are still great RBs that haven't been picked.

If people want to believe drivel like this could happen - let them. But Minn will most likely want to replace Moss with a tall, capable WR like Mike Williams, barring any good WRs available, they will probably turn to defense and go with Shawne Merriman or someone like him to boost their DE/OLB corp and help provide better pass rushes.
I agree this is very Miami based. I think Saban has done a great job keeping people thinking what he is going to do. In fact I think he has made a rather dull draft kind of exciting with all the talk.

I really feel the draft hinges on what he does. The 49ers could pull a fast one, but who knows?

Just hope it makes us a better team!

MDFINFAN
04-18-2005, 03:29 PM
I would love that outcome if possible, I don't see it happening, but I hope Gruden just loves both these QB's enough to start this kind of thing.

buffmaniac
04-18-2005, 03:47 PM
I would really doubt this draft occurs but if neither TB nor Arizona draft a RB in the first, we will have a much better chance of getting what we want in return for Henry.

Dicknoze69
04-18-2005, 03:49 PM
I would love that outcome if possible, I don't see it happening, but I hope Gruden just loves both these QB's enough to start this kind of thing.

Gruden falls in and out of love with QBs so fast it's not even funny.

All it takes for Saban to trade down is have one team fall in love with someone and not want to risk them being gone. I'd bet a lot of money that someone else ends up with pick #2 when all is said and done.

NJFINSFAN1
04-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Gruden falls in and out of love with QBs so fast it's not even funny.

All it takes for Saban to trade down is have one team fall in love with someone and not want to risk them being gone. I'd bet a lot of money that someone else ends up with pick #2 when all is said and done.
Like I said, Fin fans hate that they don't have an idea what Saban will do! I love it, It really made this draft kind of interesting!