PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Take On The Bills From SN/Fox Sports

LifetimeBillsFan
04-19-2005, 02:48 PM
While the lead of the article is about J.Bannan's switch to OG, I found the comments about how our TEs, M.Campbell and T.Euhus, are recovering and the info on how the Bills view DT L.Sape to be the most interesting parts of this article:

TEs Mark Campbell and Tim Euhus are recovering so well from their reconstructive knee surgeries that the Bills are optimistic both players will be healthy going into training camp. Campbell is the team's most complete tight end. He's an exceptional run blocker and good receiver with good hands and a feel for reading defenses and finding soft spots in coverage. Euhus displayed nice receiving skills and was a better blocker than expected. With Campbell and Euhus sidelined for the offseason minicamps, Ryan Neufeld and Rod Trafford are at the top of the depth chart. Both are versatile athletes, especially Neufeld, who can also line up at fullback. There is a chance the Bills will draft a tight end, but this becomes less of a need area if Campbell and Euhus are 100 percent before the team heads to training camp. . . .

STOCK RISING: The Bills are excited about the development of DT Lauvale Sape. Although he has played in just two games in two years, the team believes he could work his way into the defensive line rotation with a strong spring. Sape (6-1, 296) doesn't have great size, but he is a high-effort player who is strong, physical and tenacious. He has worked hard on improving his technique, getting off the line quickly and using his hands to fight off blockers. The team believes Sape has plenty of upside and will be given a chance to earn a more prominent role on defense.

URL: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3547426

Given their needs at other positions, this may not have much of an impact on how the Bills approach the draft, but, if Campbell and Euhus are likely to be ready to play this season and they like Sape as much as this makes it sound, it could eliminate the need to reach for a TE in what is considered to be a very thin position in this draft and make DT less of an early priority than a lot of people have been projecting. If the Bills feel that Sape is ready to step into their DT rotation, they might wait until later in the draft to pick up someone to develop at that position (with A.Hawthorne falling on a lot of draft boards after testing positive for pot, it is possible that they could pass on him early and still pick him up in Round 3 or 4).

The Spaz
04-19-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm pretty sure this was posted a while ago.

EDS
04-19-2005, 03:02 PM
This is good news, basically means two less holes to fill. If the Bills staff believes they have three viable defensive tackle candidates to fill PW place, then it makes no sense to draft a DT. Same with TE if both guys are ahead of schedule.

mysticsoto
04-19-2005, 03:24 PM
While the lead of the article is about J.Bannan's switch to OG, I found the comments about how our TEs, M.Campbell and T.Euhus, are recovering and the info on how the Bills view DT L.Sape to be the most interesting parts of this article:

URL: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3547426

Given their needs at other positions, this may not have much of an impact on how the Bills approach the draft, but, if Campbell and Euhus are likely to be ready to play this season and they like Sape as much as this makes it sound, it could eliminate the need to reach for a TE in what is considered to be a very thin position in this draft and make DT less of an early priority than a lot of people have been projecting. If the Bills feel that Sape is ready to step into their DT rotation, they might wait until later in the draft to pick up someone to develop at that position (with A.Hawthorne falling on a lot of draft boards after testing positive for pot, it is possible that they could pass on him early and still pick him up in Round 3 or 4).
Yep, this is why I changed my initial pick on the thread that has us picking who we think we'll draft 1st. I had Anttaj Hawthorne, but after the testing positive event, and reading this about Sape, I decided we might be able to wait on DT. Like I've been saying, TD will draft best available player and whatever position we get...

Mr. Cynical
04-19-2005, 04:02 PM
LT.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-19-2005, 04:59 PM
LT.
Even though McNally apparently doesn't like working with offensive linemen taken early in the draft, based on the guys that they are supposed to have had interviews with, I have a feeling that they will go for an offensive lineman--probably LT, although C is also a possibility--with their first pick. That might change if M.Jones is still on the board, but everything that they have been doing seems to indicate that they will go offensive line.

MDFINFAN
04-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Generally my take on when you read someone is ready who's only played sparringly in the past two years is that the team is looking for another DT and trying to boost the confidence of the player there now and cushing the blow to fans about Pat Williams departure. Your team will sign another FA DT maybe after June 1 or tade for one, or defintely draft the best available with your first pick..clogging the middle was very important to the success of the D. When Adams and Williams wasn't in there on run plays, your D was very soft, just like when T. Bowens and Chester are not in for the Phins, our D suffered big time against the run. Believe me Pat will have to be replaced and that guy is not on the roster yet.

justasportsfan
04-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Generally my take on when you read someone is ready who's only played sparringly in the past two years is that the team is looking for another DT and trying to boost the confidence of the player there now and cushing the blow to fans about Pat Williams departure. Your team will sign another FA DT maybe after June 1 or tade for one, or defintely draft the best available with your first pick..clogging the middle was very important to the success of the D. When Adams and Williams wasn't in there on run plays, your D was very soft, just like when T. Bowens and Chester are not in for the Phins, our D suffered big time against the run. Believe me Pat will have to be replaced and that guy is not on the roster yet.how do you know if Edwards or Anderson aren't ready? Edwards had more sacks than Pat did in a very limited appearance.

ShadowHawk7
04-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Good point. I say we take Matt Jones, Adam Terry, or best cornerback available at #55. Grabbing a DT in say, round 3 or 4, sounds smart to me.

ParanoidAndroid
04-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Edwards is going to be just fine and Anderson will continue to develop while getting plenty of rotation. If Sape can contribute, that's a bonus. Pat Williams was a better run stuffer than Edwards, no doubt, but Edwards wasn't exactly soft. The guy has a motor and is a high effort player. I'm going to miss big Pat though. He was one of my favorite Bills.

Buffalo will look at o-line or a CB first.

mysticsoto
04-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Edwards is going to be just fine and Anderson will continue to develop while getting plenty of rotation. If Sape can contribute, that's a bonus. Pat Williams was a better run stuffer than Edwards, no doubt, but Edwards wasn't exactly soft. The guy has a motor and is a high effort player. I'm going to miss big Pat though. He was one of my favorite Bills.

Buffalo will look at o-line or a CB first.
I think Edwards will be fine also.

But I'm not sure that Buffalo is planning on looking at O-line 1st or even CB. I truly believe that they are going to take the best available player regardless of position. I think given where we are, that may mean that a CB might fall to us 1st or even a potential playmaker like Matt Jones. Although there are other WRs that should probably be considered also. Chris Henry and Fred Gibson are only slightly shorter than Matt Jones but possess comparable speed. So we shouldn't make Matt Jones more than what he is. B'cse of this, I don't see the Bills trading up for him or virtually anyone. It'd be nice to get a 2nd rd pick for TH...and at this point, I think TD is favoring this vs doing a player swap and swap of 2nd rounders for Shelton. I think in TD's eyes, he has done alot for the line already, and drafting a Center (probably in the 3rd or 4th - unless they want Spencer) will complete his work on it.