PDA

View Full Version : Could Lewis be holding out for Bills HC job?

Novacane
12-12-2002, 09:40 AM
Marvin Lewis turned down Michigan State yesterday because he wants a shot at an NFL job. HE was the leading canidate here before we hired Bozo and he is a friend of TD. Maybe he thinks theres a good chance our HC job will open up again. Maybe even TD dropped him a hint there is a good chance our HC job will be open again? I would not think TD would do that until Greg was fired but I can hope can't I.

All I want for Christmas is Greg Williams to get fired:bigwave:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1475670.html

Rude American
12-12-2002, 09:59 AM
For some reason I don't thing the Bills brass thinks Williams is the problem. But then again, I don't get the Buffalo media coverage. I get this disturbing feeling that Williams and co. will be safe for at least another year.

A little help on that?

Earthquake Enyart
12-12-2002, 10:06 AM
That's basically what Tasker said on Fan TV last nite. He even backed GW's call to kick the FG on 4th and 1 down 20-0.

:shakeno:

My guess is that there will be a new DC and special teams coach and Gregg gets 1 more year. Hopefully Gregg objects like Wade did and Ralph fires his hillbilly ass.

JayWood
12-12-2002, 10:07 AM
Seeing there really is no one else out there I agree that the higer ups are going to keep GW around for the last year of his contract. I think that GJ will be outta here. But could it be another wade ronnie jones situation all over again? As for Lewis the guy insulted the Bills last time he interviewed and then ripped the city, i cant see how this guy could ever get a job with this organization, but then again this is the NFL and a lot more crazy things have happened

Novacane
12-12-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Rude American
For some reason I don't thing the Bills brass thinks Williams is the problem. But then again, I don't get the Buffalo media coverage. I get this disturbing feeling that Williams and co. will be safe for at least another year.

A little help on that?

I don't really know. I know a lot of the Buffalo media does not think Williams is the problem but I have not heard TD say a thing.

I think the morons in the media are just assuming TD is happy with Williams.

Williams and Co better not be safe for another year! If Greg stays thats bad enough but if they don't get rid of Gray after the D went backwards this year I am really going to be PO'd.

I think EE is right that Danny Smith will go too. Greg has said before that he would not fire Gray but I bet if it came down to saving his own butt he would!

clumping platelets
12-12-2002, 10:15 AM
What makes you think a FIRST HC Lewis could do better? :rolleyes:

Novacane
12-12-2002, 10:16 AM
I don't know that he could CP. I am not advocating hiring him. I am just advocating getting rid of GW.

clumping platelets
12-12-2002, 10:19 AM
I say give GW another year with more talent on defense.

TD, et al needs to sit down with him and go over some of these decisions.

Novacane
12-12-2002, 10:22 AM
A couple months ago I would have agreed with you. However I have just seen GW make himself look stupid too many times.

I doubt TD was real impressed when GW comes out in the press and says he thought it was 4th and 2 instead of 4th and a foot! If he can't even keep his head in the game he should not be a HC.

colin
12-12-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
That's basically what Tasker said on Fan TV last nite. He even backed GW's call to kick the FG on 4th and 1 down 20-0.

:shakeno:

My guess is that there will be a new DC and special teams coach and Gregg gets 1 more year. Hopefully Gregg objects like Wade did and Ralph fires his hillbilly ass.

GW has pissed me off plenty, but that was NOT a bad call. Getting points is a good thing, and the game was far from out of reach.

TacklingDummy
12-12-2002, 11:06 AM
Teams that may be looking for a coach during the offseason..

Bengals: Most likely
Bills: Hopefully
Dallas: Most Likely
Vikings: I think Tice gets another year
Bears: Possible
Lions: Most Likely
Giants: Possible
Seahawks: Possible
Cardnials: Possible
Rams: I think a change is needed. Martz is a moron and St. Louis will never win a S.B. with him as coach. He's living off the team Vermeil left him and is destroying it.

Lewis didn't want a college job because he knows a few coaches will be fired during the off-season. Im guessing that he will be the Bengals next HC.

TacklingDummy
12-12-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by colin

GW has pissed me off plenty, but that was NOT a bad call. Getting points is a good thing, and the game was far from out of reach.

If it was week 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, in the season I wouldn't have a problem with that call. Everyone knew if you lose to NE your season is over. You gotta take a chance and go for 7. Or in that case a 1st down.

Earthquake Enyart
12-12-2002, 11:15 AM
Every decision GW makes is the most conservative (read timid). I am a believer in sideline presence and leadership of which GW has precious little. With the O we have with the big line and multiple weapons, damn the torpedoes and go for it once and a while. If we were the 1990 Giants with no O and a stifling D, then I can see being this conservative, but with this bunch, let's go for it. Send a message to the team that you believe in them.

ArcticWildMan
12-12-2002, 11:15 AM
:scratch: Why the big fascination with Lewis? He's just another GW. He had one good year as a D cooridinator (and has gone down hill since). With the talent he has at Washington, he should have the top ranked D in the NFL. No thanks. Don't want him.

Besides, like Clump said...why would we want another first year coach anyway?

Earthquake Enyart
12-12-2002, 11:17 AM
Plus Lewis has all the horses in Washington and can't get it going there.

ArcticWildMan
12-12-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Plus Lewis has all the horses in Washington and can't get it going there.

That's what I just said!!!

EE :chair: AWM

Ebenezer
12-12-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
I say give GW another year with more talent on defense.

TD, et al needs to sit down with him and go over some of these decisions.

That implies that he can only succeed if he has great players...if he is a great coach he should be able to get more than the sum of the parts. no??

Also, aren't the rumors that Lewis torpedoed his interview here because his wife did not want to come to B-lo. I remember something about the schools here being so terrible. If this is true why would he want to come here now?

ArcticWildMan
12-12-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

Also, aren't the rumors that Lewis torpedoed his interview here because his wife did not want to come to B-lo. I remember something about the schools here being so terrible. If this is true why would he want to come here now?

Exactly!!! TD is a huge "character" guy and there is 0% chance he'd bring Lewis in after that.

Novacane
12-12-2002, 11:58 AM
AWM.............I don't think anyone said they have a facination for Lewis. I know I sure did'nt. If GW were canned I can think of a few people I would rather have than Lewis. I was just speculating about his ties with TD and his turning down the State job.

Ebenezer
12-12-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
I was just speculating about his ties with TD and his turning down the State job.

Just my opinion...but who in their right mind would want to go to coach any college program where you have to beg kids to come and play for your program...I'd rather be in the pros.

ArcticWildMan
12-12-2002, 12:02 PM
LOL!! If there isn't a "fascination" with him, why does there seem to be a thread devoted to him every other day?

Novacane
12-12-2002, 12:07 PM
Ask Cntrygal?

mannyfresh
12-12-2002, 02:36 PM
Hey bledsortoreed............: who is that on ur avatar, that girl looks like my *****y 10th grade science teacher....it gives me nightmares everytime i look at it

4thAndLong
12-12-2002, 02:54 PM
You're right. Lewis only coached one of the greatest (if not greatest) D's ever.

It's not like Lewis has been doing a real bad job in Washington, he's had some huge busts like the overrated Trotter. The washed up Armstead...And the DL with only Bruce and Gardener on it. (But Bruce should be retired).

BTW, he's not going anywhere. http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11452

LMB
12-12-2002, 04:05 PM
Lewis sucks as much as GW. Time to get creative and do what ever it takes to get a winning head coach here. Look at the move's the Jets and Pats made and what Tampa has done. None of those teams took the easy path like we did. Have some balls and make a move for a coach like Mariucci or someone just any one!

4thAndLong
12-12-2002, 04:17 PM
How does Lewis suck as much as GW?

He's one of the best DCs in the league and just what this D needs.

Although he's not going anywhere.

LMB
12-12-2002, 04:32 PM
I don't know I guess just don't want to find out. We already wasted 2 years on this project. I just want a coach that can coach.

Cntrygal
12-12-2002, 05:27 PM
Ask Cntrygal?

Ask me what?? :scratch: I have no clue why Lewis keeps getting mentioned. I'm tired of reminding people that Lewis didn't want to come to Buffalo when he had the chance. Buffalo didn't meet his standards.

Novacane
12-12-2002, 05:35 PM
I thought you were the one that started the thread entitled Lewis Update. Sorry if it was'nt you.

RedEyE
12-12-2002, 05:40 PM
Personally, I'd rather not have Lewis coaching the Bills. He's a poor choice and was considered second or third best prior to hiring The Walking Man-Boob anyway. However, if it means keeping GW around another year, I'll take Lewis. The Bills need a coach that can instill confidence in his team

Cntrygal
12-12-2002, 08:14 PM
I thought you were the one that started the thread entitled Lewis Update. Sorry if it was'nt you.

Sorry.. you were right about that thread. BUT as stated in the thread ;) , I only posted it due to all the posts that had been made about him coming to Buffalo that day. So I posted the article about his (then) upcoming college interview.

lunatic_bills_fan
12-12-2002, 09:38 PM
Doesnt look like he'll be goin anywhere.

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11452

Rebecky
12-12-2002, 10:34 PM
Back up -- BledsoeToReed, you say that GW has said he would not fire JG. When was this, please? I'd very much like to read it.

RedEyE
12-12-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Rebecky
Back up -- BledsoeToReed, you say that GW has said he would not fire JG. When was this, please? I'd very much like to read it.

I do recall Williams defending Gray in multiple post game interviews early to mid season. I do not, however, remember hearing anything recently.

Wasn't Williams hired because of his so called "defensive talents"? Then this season he promised to become more involved with the D, but in reality, he has actually made the defense worse. If I had it my way both GW and Gray should be standing at the unemployment line come Jan. 1st. Unfortunately, there are proably two things that will save GWs job one more season; 1)the doubled Ws in the Win column (thanks Drew!!); and 2) the fact that TD chose GW above all other possible candidates and Tom will attempt to save "face".

Novacane
12-13-2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Rebecky

Becky..................I have never actually heard him say it. Chris Brown, WGR55 Bills beat reporter has said many times on the air that WIlliams has said he would not fire Gray because he thinks he is diong a good job. I don't know if he said that in an interview with Brown or what?

SABURZFAN
12-13-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by TacklingDummy
Teams that may be looking for a coach during the offseason..

Bengals: Most likely
Bills: Hopefully
Dallas: Most Likely
Vikings: I think Tice gets another year
Bears: Possible
Lions: Most Likely
Giants: Possible
Seahawks: Possible
Cardnials: Possible
Rams: I think a change is needed. Martz is a moron and St. Louis will never win a S.B. with him as coach. He's living off the team Vermeil left him and is destroying it.

Lewis didn't want a college job because he knows a few coaches will be fired during the off-season. Im guessing that he will be the Bengals next HC.

jauron isn't going anywhere for the BEARS.he just signed a new contract extension and you really can't fault the guy when half of his defense has been on the shelf.

martz will be given another year.if they do anything like they're doing this year,he'll be gone.

SABURZFAN
12-13-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by lunatic_bills_fan
Doesnt look like he'll be goin anywhere.

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11452

he'll change his tune if he gets a crack at a NFL coaching job.they're screaming enough about lack of African-American head coaches.