PDA

View Full Version : Trade OAK-JETS

The Quebecer
04-20-2005, 07:00 PM
Raiders | Continue to Trade - Jolley Sent to Jets; First-round Pick Landed - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:53:12 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Oakland Raiders have traded TE Doug Jolley to the New York Jets for the Jets' first-round draft choice, No. 26 overall. It is also believed the Raiders, in addition to Jolley, sent a second-round draft choice to the Jets.

Later,
Pat

YardRat
04-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Say goodbye to Jolley....the Jets using their first round pick to land a tight-end (although this is a less conventional way of doing it than in the past) is usually the kiss of death.

Novacane
04-20-2005, 07:11 PM
If the Jets did not get a 2nd too they got ripped

DraftBoy
04-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Why in the world did the jets do this?

RedEyE
04-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Persoanlly I'm very happy about the pick. Doesn't do anything to hurt Buffalo.

Bling
04-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Jolley had a pretty good year a couple of years ago. So basically the Jets moved back 14 spots and acquired a decent TE. I guess they feared Miller would be gone by that pick?

Meathead
04-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Why in the world did the jets do this?
Hmmm.

People have been talking about Jolley breaking out for two years now, but so far it ain't happened. Even so, the Jets probably gave up what, 15 spots to get the solid veteran Jolley? It was probably worth it.

Carlton Bailey
04-20-2005, 07:39 PM
It's official: Jets GM Terry Bradway is an idiot. If he did get a 2nd rounder, it's still not that great of a move. Jolley is not a good tight end. He should have just stayed at 26 and drafted Heath Miller if he wanted a TE so bad.

Meathead
04-20-2005, 07:39 PM
lol, our posts crossed. 14 spots then - but it was a good guess!

Jayhawk
04-20-2005, 07:42 PM
ah Gay Green is going to suck next year. this is good.

CuseJetsFan83
04-20-2005, 08:16 PM
this is a very good move, now that becht is gone........ baker will continue the 2 TE look, and jolley can be a very useful last resort in the west coast offense......

plus with the jets, i dont see them drafting like last year.. but then again, surprises are abound

SABURZFAN
04-20-2005, 08:18 PM
that trade helps both teams.

Ferrygoat
04-20-2005, 10:09 PM
The jets got jolley, the raiders 2nd round pick and the raiders 2 6th round picks. The raiders got the jets #1

Tatonka
04-20-2005, 10:24 PM
i would much rather have miller or alex smith

Ferrygoat
04-20-2005, 10:35 PM
yea i agree, i'd take one of them over jolley anyday

CuseJetsFan83
04-20-2005, 10:47 PM
i'd take anything over anthony becht

LifetimeBillsFan
04-21-2005, 12:04 AM
I think that it is a good trade from both teams' perspectives.

The Jets got themselves a TE who is familiar with playing in the WCO that won't complain about not getting the ball that often (the reason that Becht wanted out) and can use Oakland's # 2 pick to grab a CB that they will need if D.Abraham decides not to come back this season (a very real possibility). The CBs that they are interested in taking are the same ones that have been mentioned in a number of posts here as guys that the Bills might take if they go for a CB in the 2nd Round. There isn't a whole lot of difference between those guys as prospects and the Jets can now get one without having to pay 1st Round money--which helps them with their tight salary cap situation.

Oakland can now take its pick of the LBs that are projected to be available at the end of the 1st Round to help shore up its defense or can go for their pick of the CBs if they don't take one earlier. They may even be thinking of using their 2 1st Rounders to trade up to grab a Pac-Man Jones or A.Rolle to replace P.Buchanon. With their offense in pretty good shape, this gives them a lot of flexibility to immediately address their defensive needs while the older guys that they have on both sides of the ball still have something left. They have some serious cap issues and may feel that they need to make a serious run this year while they still can, or that it is time to begin to get younger and a lot cheaper quickly so that they can retain the guys that they have on the offensive side of the ball before they become too expensive to retain.

If the Bills are looking to pick up a CB with their # 2 pick to replace N.Clements, this trade isn't going to be a good one for them. It also allows two potential AFC playoff rivals to address needs that they have to use this draft to fill. I just don't think that it is as bad a deal for either team as some may think.

BleedinGreenNC
04-21-2005, 07:38 AM
i'd take anything over anthony becht Amen brother, im glad he is gone!

ghz in pittsburgh
04-21-2005, 08:05 AM
Pittsburgh is smiling. I heard Kevin Colbert on the radio discussing some of the trades including this one yesterday and there were more life in his voice than the usuall dull words. It has been strongly rumored that that the Steelers love Miller and the one team ahead of them would take Miller is the Jets.

mysticsoto
04-21-2005, 08:11 AM
I think that it is a good trade from both teams' perspectives.

The Jets got themselves a TE who is familiar with playing in the WCO that won't complain about not getting the ball that often (the reason that Becht wanted out) and can use Oakland's # 2 pick to grab a CB that they will need if D.Abraham decides not to come back this season (a very real possibility). The CBs that they are interested in taking are the same ones that have been mentioned in a number of posts here as guys that the Bills might take if they go for a CB in the 2nd Round. There isn't a whole lot of difference between those guys as prospects and the Jets can now get one without having to pay 1st Round money--which helps them with their tight salary cap situation.

Oakland can now take its pick of the LBs that are projected to be available at the end of the 1st Round to help shore up its defense or can go for their pick of the CBs if they don't take one earlier. They may even be thinking of using their 2 1st Rounders to trade up to grab a Pac-Man Jones or A.Rolle to replace P.Buchanon. With their offense in pretty good shape, this gives them a lot of flexibility to immediately address their defensive needs while the older guys that they have on both sides of the ball still have something left. They have some serious cap issues and may feel that they need to make a serious run this year while they still can, or that it is time to begin to get younger and a lot cheaper quickly so that they can retain the guys that they have on the offensive side of the ball before they become too expensive to retain.

If the Bills are looking to pick up a CB with their # 2 pick to replace N.Clements, this trade isn't going to be a good one for them. It also allows two potential AFC playoff rivals to address needs that they have to use this draft to fill. I just don't think that it is as bad a deal for either team as some may think.

I doubt the Raiders will use it to pick a LB in the 1st rd as there would still be a good LB at the top of the 2nd where they would be picking. They must be interested in someone specific - as you said - a top CB maybe??? But the top 3 will probably be gone by their pick...they might be coveting a DT or DE/OLB inbetweener (like David Pollack or maybe Demarcus Ware ?). In either case, I think they kind of paid alot just to move up 12 spots from their 2nd rd pick. Losing both their 6 rders in a draft where they should prefer lower rd picks doesn't make good sense. This does seem to indicate that they are coveting someone specific that will be gone by the early 2nd.

As for the Jets, I guess we should view this as a good move. Although our Billzone collective Mock drafts had them taking Khalif Barnes (who will now probably be taken by Atlanta instead the pick after), most mocks I've seen had them taking a CB. And they probably still will, but they'll get a CB that is maybe 2 grades down from what they've would've gotten in the 1st rd. That may or may not mean much. Sometimes you pick a dud, and sometimes you pick a winner. Being ranked higher doesn't always guarantee success. Still, if we have a choice, I rather they pick a lower ranked CB. :)

I didn't understand what you meant with 2 1st rounders with the Raiders...didn't they trade their 1st rounder for Randy Moss? Did they get another one from somewhere else???

RetroRaiders81
04-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Woo! Oaklands got a first rounder!!! Jolley was my fave TE though, but they have Teyo Johnson who's still developing.