PDA

View Full Version : What's all this talk about trading into the first round of the draft?

OpIv37
04-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Clearly, the Bills have needs- LG, DT, K and a CB to replace Clements after this year (or possibly before it). But why would we want to move back into the first round? Who's there that's worth Clements or Henry and our 2nd? This draft seems kind of weak to me, and I don't know why we'd want to give up a proven player to move up. Some people on this board see really eager to move into the first round, and I just can't figure out why.

Mr. Cynical
04-21-2005, 02:17 PM
We desperately need a stud LT. Any way that TD can make that happen, I support.

DraftBoy
04-21-2005, 02:18 PM
OT Barron, Barnes, or Brown
DE Pollack, James, Ware
DT Johnston
WR Jones

Are some names who Id love to see in Bills uniforms and are in posistions of need to me.

OpIv37
04-21-2005, 02:24 PM
will those guys be ready to come in and contribute this season? If not I don't think it's worth trading up, especially for DT- they'd have to be significantly better than Edwards and Anderson to be worth it.

DraftBoy
04-21-2005, 02:33 PM
will those guys be ready to come in and contribute this season? If not I don't think it's worth trading up, especially for DT- they'd have to be significantly better than Edwards and Anderson to be worth it.

I dont think that it is gonna be real tough to beat out Edwards or Anderson neither impress me more than a #3 would. And all those guys minus Jones would be able to come in and compete.

OpIv37
04-21-2005, 02:37 PM
I don't see us taking a WR early in the draft. Our #1 and #2 are set for this year and there's a few guys competing for #3. We do need an eventual replacement for Moulds, but we need help at other positions first.

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2005, 02:43 PM
DIdn't we just sign Bennie anderson to play LG?

ddaryl
04-21-2005, 02:46 PM
I'd rather the Bills have multiple 2nd rd picks then to give up their 2nd rd to move into the 1st.

ParanoidAndroid
04-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Barron or Barnes. They would be worth it IMO. Ware would be a good one too, but I'd rather see a solid offensive pick. I think moving up in the second is the most likely scenario though.

TH and #55 to Philly for #35 and #94

Carlton Bailey
04-21-2005, 02:56 PM
I don't advocate drafting an LT if we do get into round 1. They take way too long to develop. It's taken Mike Williams 4 years to become a good(not franchise) tackle.

The_Philster
04-21-2005, 03:47 PM
DIdn't we just sign Bennie anderson to play LG?

Yes we did

Tatonka
04-21-2005, 04:33 PM
I dont think that it is gonna be real tough to beat out Edwards or Anderson neither impress me more than a #3 would. And all those guys minus Jones would be able to come in and compete.

man, i really am surprised that your so down on a guy you were ok with the bills drafting.. anderson needs to play.. you dont redraft the same spot before seeing a guy play..

and edwards had 5 sacks last season.. in spot duty.. which is a hell of alot more than pat did.. he will exceed pat williams play this season.. pats play was clearly on the decline imho last season.. edwards will be fine..

the only reason we draft a DT is to sit on the bench this year and replace sam adams next season..

DE is pointless too.. unless it is to replace denny after next season.

people just give up on players way too fast. i get so tired of guys screaming to draft this guy or that guy, then after one or two seasons, fans jump off the band wagon and try to hop on the newest youngest draft pick that is the cool pick.. and as soon as they dont put up pro bowl numbers, they will talk about what a bad pick that one was too... and on to the next guy.

ps.. ware is gonna end up like flowers.. he was not even considered a top talent until a couple mock drafts tossed him way up the list.. his only hope is in a 3-4 defense.. why would buffalo even consider a guy like him??

DraftBoy
04-21-2005, 05:20 PM
man, i really am surprised that your so down on a guy you were ok with the bills drafting.. anderson needs to play.. you dont redraft the same spot before seeing a guy play..

and edwards had 5 sacks last season.. in spot duty.. which is a hell of alot more than pat did.. he will exceed pat williams play this season.. pats play was clearly on the decline imho last season.. edwards will be fine..

the only reason we draft a DT is to sit on the bench this year and replace sam adams next season..

DE is pointless too.. unless it is to replace denny after next season.

people just give up on players way too fast. i get so tired of guys screaming to draft this guy or that guy, then after one or two seasons, fans jump off the band wagon and try to hop on the newest youngest draft pick that is the cool pick.. and as soon as they dont put up pro bowl numbers, they will talk about what a bad pick that one was too... and on to the next guy.

ps.. ware is gonna end up like flowers.. he was not even considered a top talent until a couple mock drafts tossed him way up the list.. his only hope is in a 3-4 defense.. why would buffalo even consider a guy like him??

:goodpost: But now its my turn for a counter point....

Anderson was an iffy pick when taken I said that last year. He never got rave reviews and the pick while not being a bad one wasnt a good one either. As for Edwards I think the only reason we see his stats so high is bc he sees spot duty against already tired OL and can dominate them. I dont take DL rotational stats into account bc they can be completely skewed do to being fresh against a tired OL. I want a sure fire DT and Im not saying we should trade up for him but Johnston would be a player Id deeply consider mid-late 1st round, or Patterson at our 2nd round pick. As for a DE, Ryan Denney has shown me nothing and Aaron Schoebel is a better all-around DE than a pass rusher. Kelsay also has been unimpressive. Id love to get one of the stud pass rush DE's in here to actually generate a pass rush from our front 4.

How can you sit there and say drafting a player to only play season after next is pointless? Was the JP pick pointless then? Anderson would be in the same boat with that logic. You always draft for the future and often its not the immediate.

Im sick of people sitting by and watching players not play as good as others and being content with that and willing to say well give them one more season or two more or three more or how ever many more. Has Anderson gotten his fair shot? No, I have no problem admitting that at all but I did watching him college and he was more of a product of having a great bunch of lineman around him imo. Like Will Smith.

Lastly just bc im ok with a guy we picked doesnt mean im happy with it. Is it not ok to be critical of a player we have on the team? I didnt like Anderson out of college but the draft overall was a good one, he was imo the worst pick we made last year but if he's the worst pick you make then its a good draft.

capitolneal
04-21-2005, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=OpIv37]Clearly, the Bills have needs- LG, DT, K and a CB to replace Clements after this year (or possibly before it). But why would we want to move back into the first round? Who's there that's worth Clements or Henry and our 2nd? This draft seems kind of weak to me, and I don't know why we'd want to give up a proven player to move up. Some people on this board see really eager to move into the first round, and I just can't figure out why.[/QUOTE

could'nt of said it better

ShadowHawk7
04-21-2005, 06:44 PM
We were in the top 10 in sacks, and I will bet ALL my ZBs on that. We don't need to waste a day one pick on a DE to "actually generate a pass rush."

I don't think we should trade up either, I'd much rather have two mid 2nds than one late first. We could take Terry at 55, who should be able to come and start at LT from Day 1. (He is the best pure LT this draft IMO.) Then we could take Matt Jones with our other 2nd rounder, or vice versa. I don't think we should trade up to get him, as teams will hesitate because he IS a project, a boom/bust guy.

I think we should get a DT round 3 or 4, a CB for the pick we didn't use on DT, and get a WR, RB and C for round 5, 6, and 7, in no particular order.

THoughts?

DraftBoy
04-21-2005, 07:01 PM
We were in the top 10 in sacks, and I will bet ALL my ZBs on that. We don't need to waste a day one pick on a DE to "actually generate a pass rush."

I don't think we should trade up either, I'd much rather have two mid 2nds than one late first. We could take Terry at 55, who should be able to come and start at LT from Day 1. (He is the best pure LT this draft IMO.) Then we could take Matt Jones with our other 2nd rounder, or vice versa. I don't think we should trade up to get him, as teams will hesitate because he IS a project, a boom/bust guy.

I think we should get a DT round 3 or 4, a CB for the pick we didn't use on DT, and get a WR, RB and C for round 5, 6, and 7, in no particular order.

THoughts?

Our D-Line produced 27 sacks last season just to have comparison:

Bills 27
Phins 28
Pats 24
Jets 30.5

Our DL finished 2nd last in our own division in sacks, yea total sacks we were just fine but my point was and is that we need to generate a better rush from our front 4, while blitzing is a great strategic move having to do it as much as we do to get the Pass Rush we like causes us gamble and could burn us.

Also Terry scouts as a low 2nd-3rd why take him at 55 and reach for him, we could easily sit pat and get him were we are?

ShadowHawk7
04-21-2005, 09:27 PM
It would be sweet to land him in the 3rd. And while I tend to agree w/ u about our front 4's pash rush, I don't think it is enough of a need to warrant a day one pick.

Tatonka
04-21-2005, 09:41 PM
:goodpost: But now its my turn for a counter point....

Anderson was an iffy pick when taken I said that last year. He never got rave reviews and the pick while not being a bad one wasnt a good one either. As for Edwards I think the only reason we see his stats so high is bc he sees spot duty against already tired OL and can dominate them. I dont take DL rotational stats into account bc they can be completely skewed do to being fresh against a tired OL. I want a sure fire DT and Im not saying we should trade up for him but Johnston would be a player Id deeply consider mid-late 1st round, or Patterson at our 2nd round pick. As for a DE, Ryan Denney has shown me nothing and Aaron Schoebel is a better all-around DE than a pass rusher. Kelsay also has been unimpressive. Id love to get one of the stud pass rush DE's in here to actually generate a pass rush from our front 4.

How can you sit there and say drafting a player to only play season after next is pointless? Was the JP pick pointless then? Anderson would be in the same boat with that logic. You always draft for the future and often its not the immediate.

Im sick of people sitting by and watching players not play as good as others and being content with that and willing to say well give them one more season or two more or three more or how ever many more. Has Anderson gotten his fair shot? No, I have no problem admitting that at all but I did watching him college and he was more of a product of having a great bunch of lineman around him imo. Like Will Smith.

Lastly just bc im ok with a guy we picked doesnt mean im happy with it. Is it not ok to be critical of a player we have on the team? I didnt like Anderson out of college but the draft overall was a good one, he was imo the worst pick we made last year but if he's the worst pick you make then its a good draft.

good post.. i will agree to disagree with you right now, because i am tired from the new little one.. i dont know if i can formulate an actual rational arguement..haha. :nuk:

if someone else would like to do it for me, go ahead please. :biggrin:

:hockey:

DraftBoy
04-21-2005, 10:29 PM
good post.. i will agree to disagree with you right now, because i am tired from the new little one.. i dont know if i can formulate an actual rational arguement..haha. :nuk:

if someone else would like to do it for me, go ahead please. :biggrin:

:hockey:

Admiting defeat?! Nah man its all good you need your rest its gonna be a long weekend and we can continue our argument over who is a bad or good pick on Saturday and Sunday...I CANT WAIT!