PDA

View Full Version : Frank Gore -Tailback- Univiersity of Miami

RedEyE
04-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Every year I like to pick a mid-draft favorite. Last year I lucked out a little with WR Ernest Wilford... and absolutely regreted it at the home opener. The year before that Quentin Griffin caught my eye and I was hoping the Bills would grab him, but he was gone just 3 picks before the Bills setteled on McGee (not horrible). This is the first year that I've decide to expose my pick.

If the Bills do finally trade Henry (on or before Saturday) and if Frank Gore is available at the 122 overall pick, I think TD will have a hard time passing him up.

TD has stated time and time again that he drafts the best overall player while trying to accomodate necessity.

Gore reminds me a lot of Henry in his ability and size. Both are 220 lbs and near 5' 10" . Gore moves the pile like Travis can, but IMO seems to have better field vision and more backfield versatility. Gore would make an excellent back up to McGahee, and with a little time and some work, he may also perform well enough to be packaged in future trade scenerios.

Obviously both McGahee and Gore know each other very well, and Gore could easily slide in and out of the Bills current offensive scheme. Of course he could and should find the field in ST situations as well.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/gore_frank

Italian Stallion
04-21-2005, 09:20 PM
not a bad pick...Although didn't he and Willis have some problems with each other? I dunno i'm not sure....

I always have a pick like that as well, and I also predict a RB, but I'll go with Walter Reyes from Syracuse...He has great hands and deceptive speed. The talk outta the orange organization is that he could play reciever (even despite his size)
This to me seems like a guy Coach Moo would like..Possibly 4th to 6th round pick

LtFinFan66
04-21-2005, 09:23 PM
He will be pretty good if his knees hold up. Kind of like Willis. I am happy for Willis BTW because after that hit in the championship game against my Buckeyes, I never thought he would play let alone be very good!! Props to you guys for taking a chance on him and winning so far!

RedEyE
04-21-2005, 09:30 PM
He will be pretty good if his knees hold up. Kind of like Willis. I am happy for Willis BTW because after that hit in the championship game against my Buckeyes, I never thought he would play let alone be very good!! Props to you guys for taking a chance on him and winning so far!

lol

I cursed TD's name up and down when he made that selection. I was and still am a Henry fan. I guess this is why they leave these choices to the pros.

Gore banged up his knee 2 years ago and seemd fine last year. This is the exact reason why he is rated so low and why I think that he might be worth more than projected.

OpIv37
04-21-2005, 09:39 PM
As long as he's not related to Al. We don't need him boring the fans to sleep.

RedEyE
04-21-2005, 09:41 PM
As long as he's not related to Al. We don't need him boring the fans to sleep.

:rofl:

I think we're alright.

djjimkelly
04-21-2005, 10:27 PM
my theory on this guy is if a team has patience to "mcgahee him" rest him for most part for a year they will get a supurb back! by that i mean really limit his carries in year 1 to a point where u let him fully rehab his knee. any team that does this might grab the best back in the draft

camelcowboy
04-21-2005, 11:31 PM
Blown out knees! sounds like a TD pick to me. Im not doubting any of his moves, but can't we just play things safe this year. "drafting healthy players"

TigerJ
04-21-2005, 11:35 PM
Gore has lost a lot of his speed to injuries while McGahee is apparently in the process of regaining his. I personally think TD would be risking bad chemistry by importing a former McGahee team rival to Buffalo. There are other potential backups in this draft who can do the job just fine without tempting fate on the chemistry issue.

mypoorfriendme
04-22-2005, 12:47 AM
first off about gore, he was slated to start before both portis AND mcgahee before he went dont with injuries both years...this is why has all the potential in the world if he just stayed healthy.

secondly, about 3/4 round favorites, last year Maryland DT Randy Starks was picked by the titans 2 or 3 picks before we got Anderson. I would haev LOVED to see him in Buffalo, he's a one man wrecking crew.

This year my favorite midround selections would have to be

JJ Arrington RB Cal
Kevin Everett TE Miami
Larry Brackins WR Pearl River CC
CJ Brooks OG Maryland
Dustin Fox FS Ohio State

LifetimeBillsFan
04-22-2005, 02:54 AM
Gore has lost a lot of his speed to injuries while McGahee is apparently in the process of regaining his. I personally think TD would be risking bad chemistry by importing a former McGahee team rival to Buffalo. There are other potential backups in this draft who can do the job just fine without tempting fate on the chemistry issue.
Gore has had a couple of serious knee injuries and, after recovering well after the first one, just did not look like the same guy this past season--he looked significantly slower than before. And, I also agree with the statement that there are other potential back-ups in this draft who can do the job--perhaps even better than Gore--who won't bring the same chemistry issues that Gore would. With what has happened with T.Henry, I just don't think bringing in someone that McGahee has lost his job to previously would be a great idea at this point.

my theory on this guy is if a team has patience to "mcgahee him" rest him for most part for a year they will get a supurb back! by that i mean really limit his carries in year 1 to a point where u let him fully rehab his knee. any team that does this might grab the best back in the draft
The problem with that is that that the Bills may not be in a position to do that at some points during this season. S.Williams showed last season that he can be a fine "change of pace" RB and back-up between the 20s, but he's just too small to do the hard running that is necessary in short-yardage and gaol-line situations. Now, that's not much of an issue when Willis is healthy and fresh because he excels in goal-line situations and can be very effective in short-yardage, if he gets a little help from the O-line. However, there are times when Willis may not be on the field in those situations during the course of the season--and not just if he were injured--when the Bills will need to have a bigger RB who can step in and be effective.

For example: There were a couple of times last season when Willis had to come out of games when the Bills were inside the 10 yard-line because he was a little banged up and/or needed a "breather". With T.Henry out injured, the Bills were limited in what they were able to do offensively because they did not have a RB who could be counted on to get positive yardage in close. If Willis breaks off a 60 yard run this season and gets pushed out of bounds inside the 10, without T.Henry, who will they put into the game until Willis is ready to go again--which could take two plays? Gore isn't the kind of RB that you would want to put into the game in that situation--but the Bills would have to do it if they draft him.

There are other RBs in this draft who will go later than Gore that I would rather put into the game in that situation than Gore: Kay-Jay Harris, E.Shelton, B.Jacobs, and even TAMcLendon or A.Gates (although I'm not sure whether McLendon has fully recovered from his injuries at this point). If we were talking about Frank Gore even after his first knee injury, I might feel differently, but just didn't seem to have come back from this last injury the same way that he did before.

Dantheman1280
04-22-2005, 06:55 AM
I say see whats left as far as big backs after the draft and see what we can get! Shaud has tons of potential to become a quick scat back or 3rd down back. I do agree we need a bruiser, because Burns is very ineffective in short yardage.

ryjam282
04-22-2005, 07:01 AM
Gore wasn't the starter over Portis, just McGahee. Portis left and that is when Gore was gonna get his shot. Then the first knee injury and McGahee broke all the records. Then McGahee left, and Gore had his 2nd shot...Another blown knee, this past season he looked good though. The speed obviously wasn't as good as it used to be but he was getting stronger as the season wore on. I don't think a team has to draft him and 'McGahee him' cause he will be back to 100% by training camp. I mean he did play last year and looked decent in doing so. I am sure the offseason has helped a lot. Sure, his speed isn't 4.3 anymore but I bet he is as fast as Henry.

I like the kid, he is obviously a tough kid to come back from not 1 but 2 of these horrible injuries.

ryven
04-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Gore has caught the injury bug. I would much rather pick up a different RB like these because we could more or less use both shaud and another RB if McGahee goes down. These guy could be great for goal line or short yardage situations.

Eric Shelton

Position:
RB

College:
Louisville

Projected Selection:
Round3

MEASUREMENTS
HEIGHT 6'2"
WEIGHT 245
40 TIME n/a

[B]Walter Washington

Position:
RB

College:
Temple

Projected Selection:
Round6

MEASUREMENTS
HEIGHT 6'2"
WEIGHT 240
40 TIME n/a

Nehemiah Broughton

Position:
RB

College:
Citadel

Projected Selection:
Round7

MEASUREMENTS
HEIGHT 5'11"
WEIGHT 250
40 TIME 4.55

plus any one of these guys could also convert and back up FB

ryven
04-22-2005, 08:36 AM
and if your looking for an all around type back how about clarett. and to add to my list above how about this guy.

Brandon Jacobs

Position:
RB

College:
Southern Illinois

Projected Selection:
Round5

MEASUREMENTS
HEIGHT 6'4"
WEIGHT 260
40 TIME 4.5

mysticsoto
04-22-2005, 09:18 AM
I still think we should work on getting the A-train to back McGahee up. Doesn't seem like anyone is after him - maybe he'll lower his price & his want to start. On our team, he would be used productively...and it would fit his style of running!

The King
04-22-2005, 09:22 AM
I have a feeling we may see Clarrett in a Bills Uniform. I have been watching the NFL network all week and every clip I have seen of Maurice I have seen TD or MM in the backround somewhere. I dont know how I feel about it but I think it may happen.

RedEyE
04-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Gore's a work horse that plays hurt when he has to, still working for every yard. He has the mindset of a warrior and the ability to overcome adversity. A hard nose competitor that will give 110% each time he walks out onto the field. I like that type a player. But that's me, I've always been a fan of the underdog. I don't remember ever hearing anything about problems between Willis and Gore, but if it happened, then all the better. A little animosity between McGahee and Gore, a little stout competitiveness, could go along way.

Injuries happen in college. Especially to RBs. Just ask Thruman Thomas, Jamal Lewis, and Willis McGahee to name a few.

All three were knocked down in the draft plagued by knee injuries in college, and all three know what it's like to work hard and fight to get somewhere. I like that menatality. It shows toughness and grit that is difficult to find in a player these days. I'm not saying that Gore is in the same class as these guys. I'm not saying that he's a sure thing. Hell, I'm not even sure if Henry is going to be traded.

A note on speed: Several Pro-bowlers have proven time and time again that being the fastest isn't necessarily being the best. Sure you want a fast back lugging the brick, but there are several other dimensions to a player beside speed.

I like Jacobs as well. Huge with decent speed. He just seems more suited for FB IMO.

RedEyE
04-22-2005, 09:51 AM
I still think we should work on getting the A-train to back McGahee up. Doesn't seem like anyone is after him - maybe he'll lower his price & his want to start. On our team, he would be used productively...and it would fit his style of running!

He'd have to lower his price IMO. I feel so spoiled on having a full backfield and really just want to keep it that way.

RedEyE
04-22-2005, 09:55 AM
I have a feeling we may see Clarrett in a Bills Uniform. I have been watching the NFL network all week and every clip I have seen of Maurice I have seen TD or MM in the backround somewhere. I dont know how I feel about it but I think it may happen.

I know the feeling. I've wondered the same thing. It seems to me that Clarrett is one of these guys that's in it for the pay check. He would fight harder for a nickle in negotiations, than he would 36 inches on the field.

camelcowboy
04-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Man, No disrespect, but im praying that your wrong.

ryven
04-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Gore's a work horse that plays hurt when he has to, still working for every yard. He has the mindset of a warrior and the ability to overcome adversity. A hard nose competitor that will give 110% each time he walks out onto the field. I like that type a player. But that's me, I've always been a fan of the underdog. I don't remember ever hearing anything about problems between Willis and Gore, but if it happened, then all the better. A little animosity between McGahee and Gore, a little stout competitiveness, could go along way.

Injuries happen in college. Especially to RBs. Just ask Thruman Thomas, Jamal Lewis, and Willis McGahee to name a few.

All three were knocked down in the draft plagued by knee injuries in college, and all three know what it's like to work hard and fight to get somewhere. I like that menatality. It shows toughness and grit that is difficult to find in a player these days. I'm not saying that Gore is in the same class as these guys. I'm not saying that he's a sure thing. Hell, I'm not even sure if Henry is going to be traded.

A note on speed: Several Pro-bowlers have proven time and time again that being the fastest isn't necessarily being the best. Sure you want a fast back lugging the brick, but there are several other dimensions to a player beside speed.

I like Jacobs as well. Huge with decent speed. He just seems more suited for FB IMO.

I agree with you on the fact that gore knows how to work hard but year in and year out he is getting some major injuries he did not even play a full year last year because of injuries. He may be a good running back when healthy but it seems he is not very durable.

venis2k1
04-22-2005, 02:02 PM

i got the same feeling would not mind it in the 5th round. although the bills were not present at claretts private workout, for what that means. remember the bills didnt go to willis mcgahees workout eaither.

The King
04-22-2005, 02:18 PM
I could see Clarrett as a force at FB. and Situational at RB. I would hate the pick if it wasnt after the 5th round. I just have a gut feeling though. Then we would have both the RB's from the 2003 NCAA championship. That might be a first.

RedEyE
12-15-2006, 06:41 AM
Just wanted to pat myself on the back a little. :D

casdhf
12-15-2006, 06:44 AM
A second round HB ... they're supposed to be good!

RedEyE
12-15-2006, 06:46 AM

MYSTICO strikes again! :bf1:

RedEyE
12-15-2006, 06:47 AM
A second round HB ... they're supposed to be good!

He went 65th overall in the 3rd round.

He went very early and wasn't projected to go until around the 4th or 5th round.

!Papacrunk!
12-15-2006, 06:58 AM
I've got Gore on both of fantasy football leagues, and it's great to have both him and Tomlinson on one of them.

RedEyE
12-15-2006, 07:03 AM
I've got Gore on both of fantasy football leagues, and it's great to have both him and Tomlinson on one of them.

RBs win fantasy leagues hands down.

PECKERWOOD
12-15-2006, 07:13 AM
I thought Gore was going to be good as well.