PDA

View Full Version : Bills seek post-draft treasure

The_Philster
04-22-2005, 05:13 AM
When the NFL Draft concludes late Sunday afternoon, 255 college players will have been selected over two days.

But for general managers, coaches, scouts and a web of support staff, the fun will just be starting.

Welcome to the NFL's annual post draft, a frenetic period following the regular seven-round selection process where teams scramble to sign undrafted players to pad their rosters and, with any luck, find an unclaimed gem or two....more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050422/SPORTS03/504220386/1007/SPORTS)

McD
04-22-2005, 06:19 AM
Let's see if we can land this years Jason Peters to the squad again. There are always a handful of "reaches" out there that teams didn't feel comfortable spending a draft pick on, they make a lot of rosters.

McD

EDS
04-22-2005, 08:28 AM
The Bills realy did a great job last year bringing in talented college free agents.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-22-2005, 08:47 AM
Did I hear correctly that there were 14 undrafted free agents in the Super Bowl last year?

mysticsoto
04-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Here are a couple that I think might go undrafted that I think they should keep an eye on:

1. Isaac West (WR): 5'11", 187 lbs, 4.37

<table align="center" border="0" height="150" width="70%"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"><td colspan="3">Strengths: Very fast and quick...Elusive and an excellent runner after the catch...Tremendous natural athlete with a 38-inch vertical jump...Very strong and physical...Productive at his level.</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Weaknesses: Raw and will need to be developed...Didn't play against a lot of top competition which is a concern, although he excelled against Pittsburgh in 2004...Height is only average.</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Notes: Also participates in Furman’s track and field program...Had a nice senior campaign...Could be one of the top sleepers in the Draft.</td></tr></tbody> </table>

2. Willie Amos (WR): 6', 190 lbs, 4.28
<no profile="" found="">(No profile found)

3. Rhys Lloyd (K):
</no><table align="center" border="0" height="150" width="70%"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"><td colspan="3">Strengths: Clutch kicker with nerves of steel...Versatile and handled both the kicking and punting duties for the Gophers...Good size and athletic ability...Has a strong leg and is good from 50+ yards...Can also kickoff.</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Weaknesses: May take things too lightly at times and may be a little immature...Needs to do a little better job in terms of his consistency and technique.</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Notes: Originally from Dover, England...Was a JUCO All-American at Rochester Community and Technical College...A fun loving kid and a character.</td></tr></tbody> </table>
4. Erik Pears (OT): 6'7", 312 lbs, 5.12

<table align="center" border="0" height="150" width="70%"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"><td colspan="3">Strengths: Has great size and the frame to get bigger and add some bulk...Has good athletic ability and moves well...Strong and physically imposing...Has a footballs players mentality...Works hard...Experienced.</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Weaknesses: Plays too high at times and needs to play with better leverage...Needs to work on his technique...Is not very explosive...Can improve as a run blocker...Will get pushed back at times.</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Notes: Brother Morgan also played for Colorado St. and was a prospect just a while back...Has an excellent combination of size, speed and athleticism...An interesting developmental prospect with the physical tools to eventually start at the pro level.</td></tr></tbody> </table>

5. Michael Hawkins (CB): 6'1", 176 lbs, 4.38

<table align="center" border="0" height="150" width="70%"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"><td colspan="3">Strengths: Has great size and the frame to get bigger...Is very fast and has excellent timed speed...Is an excellent natural athlete...Has a nose for the ball and knack for making the big play...Still has a lot of potential and upside.</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Weaknesses: Very raw and has not played much football, let along against top competition...Needs to add weight...Must get stronger...Needs a lot of technique work...Any team that drafts him would be taking a major gamble.</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Notes: Was one of the top recruits in the country coming out of high school...Began his career with Oklahoma but only played one season...Made the Arena Football League via an open tryout...Real interesting developmental prospect.</td></tr></tbody> </table>
6. Ben Emanuel (S): 6'2", 213 lbs, 4.56

<table align="center" border="0" height="150" width="70%"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"><td colspan="3">Strengths: Good athletic ability...Solid combination of size and speed...Versatile and has played both free and strong safety...Does a nice job in coverage...Still has some upside.</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Weaknesses: Doesn't always play up to his ability...Not very physical or aggressive...Has a lot to learn in terms of technique...Awareness is lacking...Underachiever.</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Notes: Has the physical tools you look for...Could be the type of player who turns out to be a better pro than collegian...May go a little higher than expected because of his potential.</td></tr></tbody> </table>

mysticsoto
04-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I think I'll add a TE to the list just in case we do have unexpected eventualities there. Might be a good idea to have a TE in the PS...just in case.

Jerome Collins (TE): 6'4", 261, 4.66

<table align="center" border="0" height="150" width="70%"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"><td colspan="3">Strengths: Extremely athletic and very fast...Has excellent size...Should be a workout warrior and amaze scouts...Still has loads of upside and his potential is through the roof.</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Weaknesses: Very raw and only played tight end and on the offense for one season...Saw limited action as a senior...Never made an impact on either side of the ball in college...A major project who will require a lot of development.</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Notes: Former linebacker...Could be brought in late as a developmental prospect due to his huge upside, great triangle numbers and athleticism...Interesting prospect.</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Lone Stranger
04-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Nice job; I'll go along with your selections; let's check a week from now.

Romes
04-22-2005, 10:52 AM
3. Rhys Lloyd (K):
</no><table align="center" border="0" height="150" width="70%"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"><td colspan="3">Strengths: Clutch kicker with nerves of steel...Versatile and handled both the kicking and punting duties for the Gophers...Good size and athletic ability...Has a strong leg and is good from 50+ yards...Can also kickoff.</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Weaknesses: May take things too lightly at times and may be a little immature...Needs to do a little better job in terms of his consistency and technique.</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Notes: Originally from Dover, England...Was a JUCO All-American at Rochester Community and Technical College...A fun loving kid and a character.</td></tr></tbody> </table>

I read this scouting report and i picture the kicker from the movie The Replacements. The guy that smokes cigarettes while kicking.

yle
04-22-2005, 11:03 AM
I read this scouting report and i picture the kicker from the movie The Replacements. The guy that smokes cigarettes while kicking.
Exactly! "I'm wiry!"

DraftBoy
04-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Well last year we had Jabari Greer, Rashad Baker, and Jason Peters all make the squad and contribute as UDFA.

ParanoidAndroid
04-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Don't forget Shaud Williams. That dude gives it up on every single play. I'm most excited about Baker. I had him pegged for the Bills 7b pick but when he showed up on our UFA list I was pumped.

ShadowHawk7
04-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Nice job; I'll go along with your selections; let's check a week from now.
Me too, I like those sleeper picks, especially that West dude.
Don't forget Williams was a very good UDFA pickup as well. The best UDFA was probably Baker, followed by Greer, then Williams, then Peters.

Jan Reimers
04-22-2005, 12:10 PM
I actually enjoy the few days following the draft, when we sign our UDFAs, almost as much as the draft itself. I love looking up the guys I don't know a lot about to see how they were rated in the various draft guides, and guessing which ones may latch onto a job.