PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins trade Surtain to Chiefs

justasportsfan
04-22-2005, 08:48 AM
Sirus radio reported the fins traded Surtain to the chiefs for a 2nd this year and swapped 5th's.

asked if he was happy about the trade " I would've played anywhere for league minimum,as long as I don't have to play Eric Moulds twice a year." :laughing:

Mr. Miyagi
04-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Good for the Chiefs, and even better for us.

:squish:

OpIv37
04-22-2005, 08:58 AM
guess we're keeping clements. Glad to have him out of the playoffs. Miami could end up with a boatload of 2nd and 3rd round draft picks if they manage trade down.

justasportsfan
04-22-2005, 09:06 AM
guess we're keeping clements. Glad to have him out of the playoffs. Miami could end up with a boatload of 2nd and 3rd round draft picks if they manage trade down.what sucks about it is that it cleared up a boat load of cap for the fins.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3560710

clumping platelets
04-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Miami needs that cap space. They've nearly exhausted their means of finding cap space to sign their draft choices.

Italian Stallion
04-22-2005, 09:29 AM
They are definately gonna trade down....they have holes all over the offense and an aging defense, they need the extra picks

clumping platelets
04-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Just wait until I post my 3 rd mock :ontome:

Samphin1
04-22-2005, 09:37 AM
The second rounder gives us options for sure. David Baas comes to mind. Personally, I think drafting Adrian McPherson in the second round isn't a bad idea. I think he will be the best QB in the draft.

I am sad to see Surtain go. I really liked him, but the nearly 6 million in savings and rising star in Will Poole made him expendable. Plus, if we trade down from the #2 spot, we could end up going from two first day picks to as many five or so. Big difference and allows us to fill more holes.

Italian Stallion
04-22-2005, 09:40 AM
It's more important now for the Bills to try and trade Henry for a higher pick in the 2nd to take a stab at Spencer or Bass...Now with the Fish having a second and the flexibility of trading down from #2, they will hog all of the o lineman in round 2...

mysticsoto
04-22-2005, 09:54 AM
It's more important now for the Bills to try and trade Henry for a higher pick in the 2nd to take a stab at Spencer or Bass...Now with the Fish having a second and the flexibility of trading down from #2, they will hog all of the o lineman in round 2...
Miami probably needs a Tackle more than they need a Center. They could take Adam Terry in the 2nd...

DraftBoy
04-22-2005, 10:02 AM
I think what killed Miami is what Houston had to pay for a lesser CB in Buchannan. I honestly cant believe Saban pulled the trigger on this deal, but like I said before I didnt think they would get a 2nd and another pick. They swapped 5th's but pick up nothing extra but a 2nd.

DraftBoy
04-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Miami probably needs a Tackle more than they need a Center. They could take Adam Terry in the 2nd...

That would be a reach at that point, he's falling down draft boards now looking at a 3rd round pick.

mysticsoto
04-22-2005, 10:10 AM
I think what killed Miami is what Houston had to pay for a lesser CB in Buchannan. I honestly cant believe Saban pulled the trigger on this deal, but like I said before I didnt think they would get a 2nd and another pick. They swapped 5th's but pick up nothing extra but a 2nd.
The swap in the 5th benefits KC, correct? I believe KC has to picks in the 5th, any idea if the swap was with the middle or end of 5th rd against Miami's beginning of the 5th rd?

mysticsoto
04-22-2005, 10:12 AM
That would be a reach at that point, he's falling down draft boards now looking at a 3rd round pick.
Agreed. Miami might take a QB - although that's kind of admitting that they screwed up with Feeley (something Saban might do since he wasn't involved with that decision). I hear Jason Campbell's stock is rising...

DraftBoy
04-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Agreed. Miami might take a QB - although that's kind of admitting that they screwed up with Feeley (something Saban might do since he wasn't involved with that decision). I hear Jason Campbell's stock is rising...

Thats the problem Campbell stock is rising so fast he may go late rd 1 and Dolphins will be stuck with Frye, Orton, or Walter.

camelcowboy
04-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Frye is not that bad, I think he could be a sleeper in this draft

NJFINSFAN1
04-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Frye is not that bad, I think he could be a sleeper in this draft
I like Frye a lot, but also like Ryan Fitzpatrick from Harvard!

Stewie
04-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Freaking surtain, driving up the value for clements. His contract is reportedly for 7 years, 50 million, with 14m in guarantees. Great. Nate must be licking his chops.

DraftBoy
04-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Freaking surtain, driving up the value for clements. His contract is reportedly for 7 years, 50 million, with 14m in guarantees. Great. Nate must be licking his chops.
Hurts us two ways bc the stupid dolphins just drove down they trade value too.

mysticsoto
04-22-2005, 01:37 PM

Hmmm...I wonder if this fuels the possiblity of trading NC to Washington???

Nublar7
04-22-2005, 01:46 PM
I am happy with this deal. Sure we lost a tremendous player, but we just saved a HUGE load of money and got decent compensation in return.

DraftBoy
04-22-2005, 02:05 PM
I am happy with this deal. Sure we lost a tremendous player, but we just saved a HUGE load of money and got decent compensation in return.

Yea and I guess you could look at it that way or look at the OAK-HOU deal and say you got royally screwed and messed up the rest of the league too. Phillip Buchannan who is a worse player was worth a 1st and a 3rd, yet you manage to grab a 2nd only from the Cheifs for Surtain, what a joke. Saban better do something good with these draft picks bc this trade doesnt speak the wonders for his player management abilities that Dolphins fans have been screaming about all offseason.

Nublar7
04-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Yea and I guess you could look at it that way or look at the OAK-HOU deal and say you got royally screwed and messed up the rest of the league too. Phillip Buchannan who is a worse player was worth a 1st and a 3rd, yet you manage to grab a 2nd only from the Cheifs for Surtain, what a joke. Saban better do something good with these draft picks bc this trade doesnt speak the wonders for his player management abilities that Dolphins fans have been screaming about all offseason.Buchannan was traded for a 2nd and 3rd not a 1st and 3rd. ALSO, Buchannan wasn't looking for a huge contract like Surtain was. Clearing that large amount of cash and getting a 2nd rounder makes this deal better then the Buchannan one.

Bulldog
04-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Buchannan was traded for a 2nd and 3rd not a 1st and 3rd. ALSO, Buchannan wasn't looking for a huge contract like Surtain was. Clearing that large amount of cash and getting a 2nd rounder makes this deal better then the Buchannan one.

Buchannan wanted to legally change his name to Showtime, and you think he's not going to be looking for a huge contract. OK :lmao:

camelcowboy
04-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Hmmm...I wonder if this fuels the possiblity of trading NC to Washington???
Yeah, trading nate looks real good right now. Why would they shell out that much money, he won't see the back end of it, but if i were Nate i would just wait till free agency, he will be the best corner. We better get something for him

Samphin1
04-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Yea and I guess you could look at it that way or look at the OAK-HOU deal and say you got royally screwed and messed up the rest of the league too. Phillip Buchannan who is a worse player was worth a 1st and a 3rd, yet you manage to grab a 2nd only from the Cheifs for Surtain, what a joke. Saban better do something good with these draft picks bc this trade doesnt speak the wonders for his player management abilities that Dolphins fans have been screaming about all offseason.

This has already been brought up but Buchanon was traded for a 2nd and 3rd. He is six years younger and has a cheaper contract for the next two years. I really think the contract is what hampered getting even more for Surtain. Personally, I think the Raiders raped the Texans with the two draft picks which they in turn used to get back into the first round. However, I am willing to be the compensation for Surtain will be about the same as what Henry will fetch, if not more.

DraftBoy
04-22-2005, 04:43 PM
This has already been brought up but Buchanon was traded for a 2nd and 3rd. He is six years younger and has a cheaper contract for the next two years. I really think the contract is what hampered getting even more for Surtain. Personally, I think the Raiders raped the Texans with the two draft picks which they in turn used to get back into the first round. However, I am willing to be the compensation for Surtain will be about the same as what Henry will fetch, if not more.

Production over age in this case along with the dog house that Buchannan seems to be continuosly in should more than make up for money difference. I can see it now though next season ends Buchannan will demand a new deal or he'll hold out. I still think yall got screwed on the Surtain deal not that im complaining though just means we will be now be stuck with Nate. Which isnt a bad situation either.

Nublar7
04-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Production over age in this case along with the dog house that Buchannan seems to be continuosly in should more than make up for money difference. I can see it now though next season ends Buchannan will demand a new deal or he'll hold out. I still think yall got screwed on the Surtain deal not that im complaining though just means we will be now be stuck with Nate. Which isnt a bad situation either.If you actually examine the situation, this trade was very fair.

Samphin1
04-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Production over age in this case along with the dog house that Buchannan seems to be continuosly in should more than make up for money difference. I can see it now though next season ends Buchannan will demand a new deal or he'll hold out. I still think yall got screwed on the Surtain deal not that im complaining though just means we will be now be stuck with Nate. Which isnt a bad situation either.

I odn't understand the swapping of the fifth rounders to tell you the truth, but Surtain for the second rounder was fine in my book. I think moreso than Miami getting screwed was Houston getting screwed. They got a very overrated prima donna while giving up two quality picks, to a conference rival no less.

Either way, what is done is done and Miami has another first day draft pick, I am happy with that. Now, if we can only get Minnesota or Washington to part with their first rounders and a third rounder....

feelthepain
04-22-2005, 08:13 PM
I odn't understand the swapping of the fifth rounders to tell you the truth, but Surtain for the second rounder was fine in my book. I think moreso than Miami getting screwed was Houston getting screwed. They got a very overrated prima donna while giving up two quality picks, to a conference rival no less.

Either way, what is done is done and Miami has another first day draft pick, I am happy with that. Now, if we can only get Minnesota or Washington to part with their first rounders and a third rounder....

I agree, as much as I love Pat we needed the cap relief. I love the though of adding the second round pick with Saban's ability to see talent. We will be fine with whomever our choice at #2 is and we will be great if we can trade down I would love to see Shawne Merriman in a Fins uni, so I think 9 would be fine! I think Saban adding a 2nd rd pick makes a world of difference in what we do.

Bulldog
04-22-2005, 08:46 PM
I agree, as much as I love Pat we needed the cap relief. I love the though of adding the second round pick with Saban's ability to see talent. We will be fine with whomever our choice at #2 is and we will be great if we can trade down I would love to see Shawne Merriman in a Fins uni, so I think 9 would be fine! I think Saban adding a 2nd rd pick makes a world of difference in what we do.

How do you know Saban has a great ability to spot talent? I'm not saying he doesn't, but I think its a bit early to label him as a great evaluater of talent.

feelthepain
04-22-2005, 10:48 PM
How do you know Saban has a great ability to spot talent? I'm not saying he doesn't, but I think its a bit early to label him as a great evaluater of talent.

Pick up a book and read sometime Saban is known for his ability to spot talent. This has been discussed before...many times!! BB would bounce ideas off Saban every summer. Saban has been a talent evaluator his whole career in both the pros and college.

thebuffalobills4
04-23-2005, 08:18 AM
its good for the chiefs,but i think their d is not going to be all good this yr.but i personaly think that the phins got riped off,for a 2nd rounder?i think it should of been a at least a 1st and 2nd rounder.but who cares hes not playing with the phins anymore. :lmao: :beers: :;: