PDA

View Full Version : Seen a lot of mocks saying we trade....

DraftBoy
04-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Any substance to these rumors, alot of them having him going to Minnesotta and us getting Troy Williamson....

Moulds, Henry for Onterrio Smith, 18 overall, 3rd, and 7th <--Was one of the ideas

Im kinda torn on this bc I like Moulds alot but I think he can be replaced by Evans and Williamson who i think is the best WR in the class. Thoughts?

Italian Stallion
04-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Any substance to these rumors, alot of them having him going to Minnesotta and us getting Troy Williamson....

Moulds, Henry for Onterrio Smith, 18 overall, 3rd, and 7th <--Was one of the ideas

Im kinda torn on this bc I like Moulds alot but I think he can be replaced by Evans and Williamson who i think is the best WR in the class. Thoughts?

If that happens my TV will be in the dumpster. Onterrio Smith is a punk, and Moulds still has some left in the tank...what mock was this???????

ParanoidAndroid
04-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Onterrio Smith? Yuck! "Just say, no!" harhar

RedEyE
04-22-2005, 01:16 PM
We need Moulds this year more than ever. He'll play a very important role in grooming young JP and Evans this year.

and Smith is a punk.

OpIv37
04-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Forget about Smith- we need Moulds. The only other decent receiver we have is Evans. Getting rid of JP's best outlet before the season starts is just stupid. IMO, the only significant players on the trading block are Henry and possibly Clements.

justasportsfan
04-22-2005, 01:22 PM
I hope not. Reed had a great rookie year. I don't think Evans is set to be no. 1 yet. I think he needs another year or so to prove he's ready before we can let Moulds go.

mysticsoto
04-22-2005, 01:26 PM
That wouldn't be a good trade. Evans still isn't ready to be the #1. He has done well b'cse of Moulds, and bringing in Troy Williamson (a rookie) would be disastrous alongside a 1 yr player in Evans.

venis2k1
04-22-2005, 01:27 PM
didnt moulds JUST restructure his contract to help the bills out? i doubt the bills will move him this year.

Jan Reimers
04-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Let's see. That would give us a receiving corps of rookie Williamson, 2nd year man Evans, a shaky Reed, and unprovens Aiken and Smith, being thrown to by an inexperienced Losman. And if Willis goes down, we'll have a pot head running back.

Nice trade.

Pride
04-22-2005, 01:51 PM
I've been saying it all offseason...

His stock in the NFL is still high... higher than it should be. He is nothing more than an average receiver at this point. Trade him now to get something, and let evans take over his position. If we did let him go though, we would need to get a solid #2 receiver from someone (not in the draft)

THATHURMANATOR
04-22-2005, 02:00 PM

His stock in the NFL is still high... higher than it should be. He is nothing more than an average receiver at this point. Trade him now to get something, and let evans take over his position. If we did let him go though, we would need to get a solid #2 receiver from someone (not in the draft)
agreed! We could get another younger, cheaper receiver to take his place with the pick plus and extra 3rd rounder, and a solid backup running back. No brainer if you ask me!

clumping platelets
04-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Due to bonus acceleration, it's not possible to trade Moulds

mysticsoto
04-22-2005, 02:21 PM
agreed! We could get another younger, cheaper receiver to take his place with the pick plus and extra 3rd rounder, and a solid backup running back. No brainer if you ask me!
Receivers usually take time to develop and the only reason Evans did that good was b'cse of Moulds getting double teamed. With Moulds out of the picture, Evans would do about as well as Price did in Atlanta. I'm all for bringing in a receiver to replace the bust Reed turned out to be, but not at the expense of Moulds!!! I hope Moulds retires in Buffalo!!!

Jan Reimers
04-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Thank God.

Rip13
04-22-2005, 02:35 PM
J.P. has too much learning to do and without a proven reliable back his transition would be next to imposible. We need Moulds more than ever and I think he is a team player.

The Spaz
04-22-2005, 02:36 PM
88 catches for over 1000 yards is average at best?:confused:

McGee
04-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Due to bonus acceleration, it's not possible to trade MouldsEnd of story.

justasportsfan
04-22-2005, 02:46 PM

His stock in the NFL is still high... higher than it should be. He is nothing more than an average receiver at this point. Trade him now to get something, and let evans take over his position. If we did let him go though, we would need to get a solid #2 receiver from someone (not in the draft)Are we trying to move forward or take a few steps back?

OpIv37
04-22-2005, 02:48 PM

His stock in the NFL is still high... higher than it should be. He is nothing more than an average receiver at this point. Trade him now to get something, and let evans take over his position.

two words: Peerless Price

ddaryl
04-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Moulds' base salaries are so friggin high in 2006 and 2007 I doubt anyone would be that interested at the price we would ask.

Not to mention it puts about 8 million in dead cap space against our cap and actually hurts us more.

THATHURMANATOR
04-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Moulds is still good don't get me wrong and He is one of my favorites but this is business baby...

Clump it is impossible to trade him? or just improbable for a team to take on the bonus acceleration?

OpIv37
04-22-2005, 02:52 PM
I know the guy's not going to be around forever, but see Jan Reimer's post- we only have one other receiver in Evans. If we lose Moulds, he'll get double teamed to all hell and Losman's a sitting duck.

THATHURMANATOR
04-22-2005, 02:59 PM
OP I am sure we would take a receiver with the 1st rounder.

ryven
04-22-2005, 03:05 PM
OP I am sure we would take a receiver with the 1st rounder.

But I doubt that wide receiver would be able to produce what moulds would next season.

justasportsfan
04-22-2005, 03:05 PM
OP I am sure we would take a receiver with the 1st rounder.would any of them be better than Moulds in their rookie season? Would any of them make Evans better by commanding double teams? We're not even sure if Evans can handle constant double teaming.

We are so close to a playoff run, why take risks by taking chances on rookies?

camelcowboy
04-22-2005, 03:10 PM

What mock draft is this? :shocked:

I just think its someone with too much time on their hands. How about this, Moulds, Henry, Clements, For Pat Williams, Ken Irving, and Winfield?

lol

Dicknoze69
04-22-2005, 03:14 PM

I love how Clump just shot this rumor down.

1959BillsFan
04-22-2005, 03:20 PM
I think Moulds has to stay for this year. As Clumping indicated, his restructured contract really prohibits it. This year, Moulds will be looked upon for some leadership in the huddle and to help Losman, Evan, and McGahee mix in with the veterans. I just hope Moulds is more influencial than in past years.

Next year is the year that TD will really ask him to restructure for real. This last restructuring was really only a way to account fro his bonuses differently, Moulds lost NO money. Next year, he will have to be willing to accept a true restructuring or he will be in the same boat DB was in. Evans will have another year under his belt and hopefully Aiken will be successful as the 3rd receiver this year.

DraftBoy
04-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Ok dont shoot the messenger im just reporting what I saw, as for the base salary being too high thats not a good reason bc deals can always be re-done. Bonus money is interesting but Im sure other things can be traded like cash or other players back to balance the money problems. A poster asked earlier in the thread if we were going forward or backwards and the answer is forwards by going backwards. This team is not as good as last years. You cant expect it to, I have no expectations of playoffs next season, would it be nice yea but I dont see it happening. D will be there but I question the OL, QB, WR's as of yet. I like Losman alot but I know in most likely hood he will struggle atleast 1st half of next season if not the full thing. WR's if somebody doesnt step up we got a huge gaping hole at #3 WR and OL has always been of question. I dont see us making the playoffs for 2-3 more years by that time Moulds would be over the hill in football years for a WR and I agree with Pride he is still considered one of the top WR's by many NFL teams however I know I dont put him that highly anymore. Inconsistency has plagued his career, he'll be red hot and then next season be ice cold. Lack of a consistent #2 is one problem but you can only have so many excuses. If we get a good enough offer (which this isnt) I would deal Eric in a second.

Pride
04-22-2005, 05:53 PM
88 catches for over 1000 yards is average at best?:confused:
Actually, yes, I would say that in today's NFL, that is average. There are a lot of receivers getting over 100 catches a season!

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/REC/2004/regular

Mahdi
04-22-2005, 05:55 PM
I have a feeling that TD will trade Henry and picks to get into the top ten of the draft and grab either an OL or Mike Williams. He would be the perfect successor to moulds and a great compliment to Lee Evans. Sounds crazy...but we've all seen crazy things on draft day by TD.

Slim
04-22-2005, 06:16 PM
I hope we dont trade Moulds. I dont Like Smith, hes a punk. He actually went to Grant High School, which is right next to where i live, i used to watch him tear up Folsom(my school) all the damn time.

Dicknoze69
04-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Well I agree that his perceived value may be higher than his actual value, the bonus money pretty much kills any deal here.

Also, it's hard for us to quantify his value just by looking at his stats. There's no question Evans benefitted from defenses keying on Moulds, but how much did he benefit? It's not exactly a black and white issue.

Finding a replacement in the draft wouldn't be easy either, since WR is one of the hardest positions to project in the NFL.

Kerr
04-22-2005, 06:35 PM
However, we can try and draft a guy to form a dymanic duo with Evans for the future. His name is Larry Brackins.

Meathead
04-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Cap or not, it’s too close to the playoffs to trade Moulds. Not only is he good but you’d be trading the most important guy on the offense (no, McGahee doesn’t have Eric’s maturity). That's an enormous strain on an offense already in tremendous flux. No, they need Eric if they don't plan on conceeding the playoffs.

Moulds was 22nd (of 64 starters) in yardage and 10th in receptions last season. That’s quite good. His problem, again, is touchdowns. He had only 5 last year after posting only 1 (one!) in the injury-plagued year prior. Even at 5.5, his career average per season as a starter, that’s barely top 50.

So depending which stat(s) you value, you could make an argument for him being a stud or below average. I’d say Moulds is a very valuable receiver on the team and a force in the NFL. But he’s got to bring the TD’s levels up now to be remembered as something other than above average.

The good news is that he’s a very mature receiver, he’s in great shape, and he can still take it the distance on any play. If Evans can avoid the sophomore jinx and stay on the course he finished with last season, Moulds has no reason not to get 8-10 touchdowns, which would put him somewhere around 12th among receivers. If he can do that and hit his other averages as a starter, that would put him right about the 33rd percentile of receivers - better than 67% of the starters.

camelcowboy
04-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Moulds' base salaries are so friggin high in 2006 and 2007 I doubt anyone would be that interested at the price we would ask.

Not to mention it puts about 8 million in dead cap space against our cap and actually hurts us more.
Your right, It hurts us to trade Moulds. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The Spaz
04-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Actually, yes, I would say that in today's NFL, that is average. There are a lot of receivers getting over 100 catches a season!

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/REC/2004/regular

He's 10th out of the 30 listed pretty damn good if you ask me.

djjimkelly
04-22-2005, 08:13 PM
THIS MAKES ME EVEN MORE MAD THEN THE CLEMENTS STUFF MY GOD SOME OF THESE RUMOURS OR THOSE THAT START THEM NEED TO GET LAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mysticsoto
04-22-2005, 08:27 PM
However, we can try and draft a guy to form a dymanic duo with Evans for the future. His name is Larry Brackins.
I like Larry Brackins too, but before him, I like Matt Jones and Vincent Jackson. If those are taken, and we are...in the 4th, I'd take Larry Brackins...

There are also some potential playmakers at WR that might go undrafted that are a little raw, but could develop quite nicely. So I wouldn't take Larry any higher than a 4th rd at this point.

jamze132
04-23-2005, 12:20 AM
If that happens my TV will be in the dumpster. Onterrio Smith is a punk, and Moulds still has some left in the tank...what mock was this???????
The same mock that thinks Ralph Wilson will trade Tom Donahoe to Miami. Only conditions that have to be met are that Donahoe brings back Ricky Williams and highers Gilbride to design a potent offense. In return, Ralph Wilson never loses another game to Miami as long as he lives.

John Doe
04-23-2005, 12:59 AM

That's why they call them "mock" drafts.

elltrain22
04-23-2005, 08:45 AM
I will believe that when I see it...

Dozerdog
04-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Makes no sense of you are Minnesota. Stupid draft sites.