PDA

View Full Version : Will the flutie brothers be wearing the black and gold.

ticatfan
04-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Every day at 6 a.m., Darren Flutie trains for a football season he may never play.

His personal fitness guru, an old high-school teammate, has promised Flutie he will be better, stronger, and faster than he was when he retired from the Canadian Football League. What can't be guaranteed is whether Flutie and his quarterback brother, Doug, will be playing for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 2005.

While the attraction is obvious — two outstanding players in one final run for the Grey Cup — many hurdles stand in the way of it happening. Darren, 38, hasn't played since 2002, and was beat-up and hobbled for parts of that season. The Ticats already have a flock of import receivers, from Archie Amerson to Craig Yeast to D.J. Flick to Chris Brazzell. There's also Flutie's job as a football commentator with the CBC, a job he enjoys and would like to keep.

“I talked to Trevor Pilling, our producer, [yesterday] and I told him I'm moving forward like I'm working at CBC,” Darren said from the Boston office of Merrill Corp., a financial printer that does business across Canada. And yet, he added he's working out daily because he just might “go down that road and play again.”

Advertisements

The uncertainty is tied to Doug. According to his agent, Kristen Kuliga, two National Football League clubs, the Ticats and a major U.S. television network have expressed interest in the 42-year-old quarterback. The Ticats have indeed made a one-year offer to the brothers and would like a response by May 1. Darren said that might be too soon for his brother to make a decision.

“It all sits with Doug,” Darren said. “Some offers have been made. Some might come after the NFL draft [this weekend]. I don't know if he'd be ready on May 1 to make a final decision. . . . There are so many possibilities I'd say it's 50-50 [that the two of them will sign with the Ticats].”

It's not known what the Ticats have offered the brothers in terms of money. Darren acknowledged he hasn't seen the Hamilton contract, which was given to Kuliga, and only heard “bits and pieces.” Club owner Bob Young has said he is interested in Doug, but only if the contract numbers made sense.

Considering the Ticats averaged 27,000 fans a game last season in a 29,000-seat stadium, it's worth asking whether the signing of Darren and Doug Flutie would financially benefit the team. Young responded to that yesterday by e-mail.

“Our goal is nothing less than to win the Grey Cup and make a profit in the same season,” Young wrote, “The Ticats' business and football operations have convinced me that the Fluties would move us closer to that goal.

“Other than being a big fan of the Fluties, I really don't have any way of evaluating whether they're right on this. But given their respective track records, if [club executive vice-president] Christopher Dean, [president] David Sauve, [general manager] Ron Lancaster and [head coach] Greg Marshall can agree on a plan, who am I to argue?”

As for the bits and pieces he's heard about the Ticats' offer, Darren said money was an issue but not the issue. The goal, he insisted, was to once again play on the same team as his brother and win a championship together.

“I'm working out every day and it's tough. It's my biggest pain in the butt right now,” Darren said with a laugh. “But if Doug and I end up playing together I have to be able to do my part.”

The brothers played together with the B.C. Lions before Doug signed with Calgary and later, the Toronto Argonauts. He won three Grey Cups in eight CFL seasons.

Darren spent 11 seasons with B.C., the Edmonton Eskimos and Hamilton. He played in four Grey Cup games and won two.

camelcowboy
04-22-2005, 03:44 PM
:blowup: Can't these guys just retire

Bulldog
04-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Does Darren rock the mullet like Doug does?

ticatfan
04-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Does Darren rock the mullet like Doug does?No lol

Bulldog
04-22-2005, 03:50 PM
No lol

Thats too bad, they could have been the "Mullet Express".

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-22-2005, 04:29 PM
What does this have to do with football?

BAM
04-22-2005, 04:33 PM
I don't despise Doug Flutie at all, in fact, I loved him!

He was a better QB for the Bills than RJ, Collins and Bledsoe combined!

Mr. Cynical
04-22-2005, 04:43 PM

He was a better QB for the Bills than RJ, Collins and Bledsoe combined!
Agreed.

djjimkelly
04-22-2005, 04:44 PM
WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!

justasportsfan
04-22-2005, 04:51 PM

He was a better QB for the Bills than RJ, Collins and Bledsoe combined!I thought he was as average as can be. But I respected him as an athlete. Despite the height and age, he was better than those physically gifted to play that position.

TD got rid of him and then got a younger and taller version of him .

Mr. Cynical
04-22-2005, 05:11 PM
There's no denying Flutie had "it"....that rare intangible quality that all great QBs have. What kept him from being elite was his physical limitations and the timing of who he played for and when, i.e., the condition of the teams and his age. Take his "it" and put it into RJ or Drew and we might have had an SB win by now.

Kerr
04-22-2005, 06:36 PM
You can have him.

ticatfan
04-23-2005, 08:15 AM
You can have him.I certainly will take him. On the big field he still be good for a couple years while our young QB's learn from him.

Jan Reimers
04-23-2005, 11:46 AM
I have NEVER understood the anomosity of Bills fans toward Flutie. He was 21-9 as a starter at a time when Johnson was stumbling around like an idiot, and jump started our premium ticket sales which helped save the franchise.

What did he ever do to engender so much hatred?

ticatfan
04-23-2005, 12:42 PM
I have NEVER understood the anomosity of Bills fans toward Flutie. He was 21-9 as a starter at a time when Johnson was stumbling around like an idiot, and jump started our premium ticket sales which helped save the franchise.

What did he ever do to engender so much hatred?Somethiong I never could understand , all he wanted was to win,which he did.

ticatfan
04-23-2005, 12:45 PM
{Our school football is not in the same universe as yours but this kid is something. } FOOTBALL: NFL DRAFT PREVIEWAll Lumsden can do now is just watch and wait'I don't know what to expect,' star CIS running back saysBy DAVID NAYLOR

Saturday, April 23, 2005 Page S2

For months, Jesse Lumsden has been pushing himself to the limit to earn a shot at the National Football League.

But on what could be the most important weekend of his football future, the former McMaster University running back plans to take it easy as the league starts its annual college draft with three rounds today and four tomorrow.

"A bunch of my friends and teammates are going to come over and watch the draft, have a barbecue and throw the ball around, do what we always do," Lumsden said. "We'll just be chilling out. Hopefully, I'm selected on Saturday and I won't have to worry about Sunday. That would be real nice."

The 22-year-old from Burlington, Ont., is well advised to keep things low key this weekend because even sure-thing NFL prospects sometimes slip through all seven rounds without being drafted.

Advertisements

For months, a debate has raged in football circles in Canada over whether the 6-foot-2, 225-pound Lumsden, who won the 2004 Hec Crighton Trophy as Canadian Interuniversity Sport's football player of the year, should be considered a serious prospect to carry the ball in the NFL, something only two Canadian university running backs have ever accomplished.

Lumsden had a dream season in 2004, breaking CIS single-season records in rushing for 1,816 yards and scoring 21 touchdowns, while compiling 4,238 rushing yards and 47 touchdowns in his Ontario university career.

While he's considered an extreme long shot to be taken during one of today's first three rounds, his chances are much better of being selected late tomorrow or signing after the draft as a free agent.

"I don't know what to expect," Lumsden said. "If I'm drafted, I'll be ecstatic. If not, then I'll turn the page and see what happens after that. I don't think there's any more that I could've done. It's been out of my hands for a while."

What happens this weekend won't just affect Lumsden's potential NFL future. It could also dictate where he goes when the Canadian Football League makes its draft selections on Thursday, because many of those clubs shy away from players who earn an NFL opportunity.

Unlike Lumsden, two other Canadians don't have to worry whether their names will be called this weekend.

For free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe of Windsor, Ont., and offensive tackle Nick Kaczur of Brantford, Ont., it's just a matter of when.

Atogwe, a four-sport athlete in high school who graduated with an average of 94 per cent, led Stanford University in tackles each of the past three seasons and is noted for his leadership and intelligence.

He's expected to be taken in the third or fourth round, with some publications projecting him going late in the second. The knock against him is his body, which, at 5 foot 11 and 215 pounds, is slightly undersized for an NFL safety, and his lack of fluidity.

"Teams have the impression that I was stiff and not as fluid as some players, but I think I've shown them I'm as fluid as some corners," he said.

"My height has been an issue because they want safeties at 6 foot 1 or 6 foot 2. I can't do much about that, but I showed them I have a pretty good vertical, which allows me to play among taller players."

Ron Dias, who runs a scouting service based in Waterloo, Ont., that helped Atogwe get to Stanford, remembers similar concerns about him coming out of high school. In fact, Dias couldn't get Michigan or Michigan State to take Atogwe seriously.

"I was telling them he's a kid in your own backyard, you've got to take a look at him," Dias said. "Michigan cancelled his visit at the last minute, and I thought 'You guys are missing the boat.'

"I think he's still being underprojected because he brings so much intangibles. He's one of those guys who everyone likes and people are attracted to being around."

Atogwe was drafted by the B.C. Lions a year ago, but there seems little chance he will join his brother, Maha, a defensive back with Edmonton, in the CFL any time soon.

Kaczur's story is one of perseverance for a player who didn't have the marks to go to college after high school.

Instead, he went to work in a mill while spending nights working to improve his grades.

A starter for every game of his four-year career at the University of Toledo, the 6-foot-4, 319-pound player was an all-conference star each season. He rates strongly, with few technical weaknesses and a nasty streak to boot. He's projected to be selected in the third or fourth round.

"He's one of those guys who is quiet off the field, but on the field has a totally different persona altogether," Dias said.

"He's not mean in a negative way. Just that he plays hard to the whistle and doesn't make excuses or apologies. He's almost a throwback kind of a kid."

Billy Palmer, the Notre Dame tight end who grew up in Ottawa and the younger brother of New York Giants quarterback Jesse Palmer, is not projected to earn a NFL free-agent opportunity. He was, however, selected last season by the Calgary Stampeders.

Louis-Phillip Ladouceur of Pointe-Claire, Que., may get an NFL look as a free agent.

The CFL to the 6-foot-5, 257-pound long snapper from the University of California belong to the Ottawa Renegades.

ticatfan
04-25-2005, 10:26 AM

Jayhawk
04-25-2005, 10:46 AM
CFL is bellow Pop Warner football level. Why would we care?

TheBrownBear
04-25-2005, 11:25 AM

I don't get it either. I loved that guy when he was a Bill and it pained me to see him go. I think the hatred stems from some rumors that were floating around after Flutie's release that said he was kind of a ***** in the locker room and that he treated the team janitor with disrespect. (or something along these lines, aka he was a phony). As Bills fans, we wanted to believe we kept the better QB (RJ) so we accepted these rumors as gospel and proceeded to demonize the little guy. I don't know if those rumors are true. But frankly, I don't really care if he was a *****. The guy was a winner. I've met Jim Kelly on various occasions and that dude is a major *****, but I still always loved the guy because of his contribution to the Bills.

BAM
04-25-2005, 11:27 AM
I think the hatred stems from some rumors that were floating around after Flutie's release that said he was kind of a ***** in the locker room

If I had some bum such as RJ trying to steal my job, and the coach even allowing it to happen to an extent, I would become quite a ***** myself.

The_Philster
04-25-2005, 03:16 PM

locker room cancer...also gotta remember he struggled a lot in mid 99...kept running when he had wide open WRs downfield. I remember Jaws even making the point that downfield coverage could be light against us when Flutie was in the game because he had too much a noodle arm to get it downfield anymore. As far as RJ, what does he have to do with anything? Yeah, he stunk...but that didn't automatically make the midget into some God. We went 21-9 in spite of Flutie a lot of those games in 99

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2005, 03:28 PM
We went 21-9 in spite of Flutie a lot of those games in 99
Hmmm...this sounds alot like the "Drew debate" where the Amigos got flack for saying the same thing. :;

The_Philster
04-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Hmmm...this sounds alot like the "Drew debate" where the Amigos got flack for saying the same thing. :;

difference is, no one denied Drew had problems