Will the flutie brothers be wearing the black and gold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ticatfan
    The Meathead of Muslims!
    • Jul 2002

Will the flutie brothers be wearing the black and gold.

Every day at 6 a.m., Darren Flutie trains for a football season he may never play.

His personal fitness guru, an old high-school teammate, has promised Flutie he will be better, stronger, and faster than he was when he retired from the Canadian Football League. What can't be guaranteed is whether Flutie and his quarterback brother, Doug, will be playing for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 2005.

While the attraction is obvious — two outstanding players in one final run for the Grey Cup — many hurdles stand in the way of it happening. Darren, 38, hasn't played since 2002, and was beat-up and hobbled for parts of that season. The Ticats already have a flock of import receivers, from Archie Amerson to Craig Yeast to D.J. Flick to Chris Brazzell. There's also Flutie's job as a football commentator with the CBC, a job he enjoys and would like to keep.

“I talked to Trevor Pilling, our producer, [yesterday] and I told him I'm moving forward like I'm working at CBC,” Darren said from the Boston office of Merrill Corp., a financial printer that does business across Canada. And yet, he added he's working out daily because he just might “go down that road and play again.”

Advertisements

The uncertainty is tied to Doug. According to his agent, Kristen Kuliga, two National Football League clubs, the Ticats and a major U.S. television network have expressed interest in the 42-year-old quarterback. The Ticats have indeed made a one-year offer to the brothers and would like a response by May 1. Darren said that might be too soon for his brother to make a decision.

“It all sits with Doug,” Darren said. “Some offers have been made. Some might come after the NFL draft [this weekend]. I don't know if he'd be ready on May 1 to make a final decision. . . . There are so many possibilities I'd say it's 50-50 [that the two of them will sign with the Ticats].”

It's not known what the Ticats have offered the brothers in terms of money. Darren acknowledged he hasn't seen the Hamilton contract, which was given to Kuliga, and only heard “bits and pieces.” Club owner Bob Young has said he is interested in Doug, but only if the contract numbers made sense.

Considering the Ticats averaged 27,000 fans a game last season in a 29,000-seat stadium, it's worth asking whether the signing of Darren and Doug Flutie would financially benefit the team. Young responded to that yesterday by e-mail.

“Our goal is nothing less than to win the Grey Cup and make a profit in the same season,” Young wrote, “The Ticats' business and football operations have convinced me that the Fluties would move us closer to that goal.

“Other than being a big fan of the Fluties, I really don't have any way of evaluating whether they're right on this. But given their respective track records, if [club executive vice-president] Christopher Dean, [president] David Sauve, [general manager] Ron Lancaster and [head coach] Greg Marshall can agree on a plan, who am I to argue?”

As for the bits and pieces he's heard about the Ticats' offer, Darren said money was an issue but not the issue. The goal, he insisted, was to once again play on the same team as his brother and win a championship together.

“I'm working out every day and it's tough. It's my biggest pain in the butt right now,” Darren said with a laugh. “But if Doug and I end up playing together I have to be able to do my part.”

The brothers played together with the B.C. Lions before Doug signed with Calgary and later, the Toronto Argonauts. He won three Grey Cups in eight CFL seasons.

Darren spent 11 seasons with B.C., the Edmonton Eskimos and Hamilton. He played in four Grey Cup games and won two.
    Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Harry S Truman 1941.
  • camelcowboy
    • Mar 2005

Can't these guys just retire

Comment

• Bulldog
      Top Dog
      • Jan 2003

Does Darren rock the mullet like Doug does?
      I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• ticatfan
        The Meathead of Muslims!
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bulldog
        Does Darren rock the mullet like Doug does?
        No lol
        Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
        Harry S Truman 1941.

Comment

• Bulldog
          Top Dog
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ticatfan
          No lol
          Thats too bad, they could have been the "Mullet Express".
          I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
            • May 2003

What does this have to do with football?

Comment

• BAM
              • Sep 2003

I don't despise Doug Flutie at all, in fact, I loved him!

He was a better QB for the Bills than RJ, Collins and Bledsoe combined!

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                Maybe?
                • Oct 2003

Originally posted by BAM

Agreed.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                  • Apr 2003

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BAM

I thought he was as average as can be. But I respected him as an athlete. Despite the height and age, he was better than those physically gifted to play that position.

TD got rid of him and then got a younger and taller version of him .
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                      Maybe?
                      • Oct 2003

There's no denying Flutie had "it"....that rare intangible quality that all great QBs have. What kept him from being elite was his physical limitations and the timing of who he played for and when, i.e., the condition of the teams and his age. Take his "it" and put it into RJ or Drew and we might have had an SB win by now.

Comment

• Johnny Utah
                        Hall of Fame Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

You can have him.

Comment

• ticatfan
                          The Meathead of Muslims!
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Johnny Utah
                          You can have him.
                          I certainly will take him. On the big field he still be good for a couple years while our young QB's learn from him.
                          Harry S Truman 1941.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

I have NEVER understood the anomosity of Bills fans toward Flutie. He was 21-9 as a starter at a time when Johnson was stumbling around like an idiot, and jump started our premium ticket sales which helped save the franchise.

What did he ever do to engender so much hatred?
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ticatfan
                              The Meathead of Muslims!
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                              I have NEVER understood the anomosity of Bills fans toward Flutie. He was 21-9 as a starter at a time when Johnson was stumbling around like an idiot, and jump started our premium ticket sales which helped save the franchise.

What did he ever do to engender so much hatred?
                              Somethiong I never could understand , all he wanted was to win,which he did.
                              Harry S Truman 1941.

Comment

Working...
                              X