PDA

View Full Version : Bills defend Williams' call.......

RedEyE
12-12-2002, 06:03 PM
From ESPN.com :http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf

Bills defend Williams' call

Brown
Leave the decision up to offensive guard Ruben Brown, and the Bills would attempt to convert every fourth-and-close situation. That, however, doesn't mean Brown believes the Bills coaching staff should start listening to him. "If they did, they'd probably be in more trouble," Brown said. "You have to be smart. You have to pick your battles in the course of the game." Brown was among several Bills players who defended coach Gregg Williams' decision not to gamble on a fourth-down-and-1 situation at the New England 8 in last weekend's 27-17 loss. It happened on Buffalo's first drive of the second half and led to Mike Hollis' 26-yard field goal that cut the Patriots' lead to 20-3.

.......... I get it now. The entire team lacks confidence. :puke:

THATHURMANATOR
12-12-2002, 06:47 PM
Horrible call I say

shelby
12-12-2002, 08:00 PM
what a crock of :angry:!!!!!!

GW:chair:shelby

LVGrown
12-12-2002, 08:05 PM
hell yeah, you make that 4 extra points and it is suddenly a 27-21 games with the onside kick to come ya know???? who knows that TD could have led to better things then fumbles and interceptions!

Erin

Rebecky
12-12-2002, 10:41 PM
So who thinks these guys are going to PUBLICLY call their coach an idiot? After Winfield was officially "reprimanded" for saying that Buffalo is out of the playoff hunt? Yeah, right.

DIHARD2
12-12-2002, 11:20 PM
I see, if the players feel that it is the coaches decision and they feel he made the right decision. So why is everyone here disagreeing with them. I know those who hate the coaching is going to disagree, but that's only because of your hatred for the coaching, not because of your football knowledge.

The fact is the coach at that time did what he thought was right, and it appears those on the field playing believes it was the right thing to do, also. They needed a score to build the confidence of the team, and that's what GW did. There was a lot of time left in the game at that point, so an almost guaranteed three, is better than walking away with nothing.

I can't believe how after last season anyone can believe that a 3/ 13 team should beat a Super Bowl team. We do not have the defense and you cannot turn the ball over five times and expect to win against a team of that caliber.

A lot of whining is going on, especially from those who feel we have all the parts for a championship team. But those who think this way, I don't think they really know football. Especially not knowledgeable enough to coach in the NFL at least I would not trust you with my team if I were an owner.

The fact is we don't have the parts on defense and don't expect it this year, because it's not going to happen. Daaa

The team has been playing for this coach and unless we lose the next three games, don't expect a change in the coaching. We only have one team that we should beat.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Typ0
12-12-2002, 11:47 PM
It wasn't a bad decision like the 4th and 2 at the 32. People are just grasping at straws trying to blame someone for a team that is not at the level they want them at. This decision could have went either way and I was sitting there wondering why they were kicking a field goal but it wasn't a bad decision. We needed to put points on the board bad. If the defense wasn't going to stop them we had no chance to win but they offense needed to know they could go down and get points. It's easy to say they should have gotten the touchdown instead but if they had walked away from there with nothing people would be singing a different tune. Williams was just doing what he thougt was best at the time and I am not going to riddle him with bullets for this decision because it wasn't that bad...especially early in the half you have to have some points they do start to add up if you can start moving the ball.

don137
12-13-2002, 06:55 AM
I am not one that says GW should pack his bags but when they are down 20-0 and the defense at the time has done nothing what was the point of getting 3 points? The Bills brass had to rezalize NE was going to score more points and you need to get 7 on the board if you want any chance of winning and would really pump up the team. Putting 3 on the board didn't do anything to light a fire in the team.

If GW coached the Bills back in the early 90's there would of never been the comeback against Houston in the playoffs. On a 4th and 5 around the Bills 24 and I believe the score was 35-17 Marv Levy went for it in the 3rd quarter. Reich passed a TD to Andre Reed. If they took the conservative route and kicked a FG the comeback would of been short because the Bills needed those 4 points.

Cntrygal
12-13-2002, 08:03 AM
It's nice to see some team loyalty and not have the players "complaining".

TedMock
12-13-2002, 08:08 AM
If they went for it and stopped everybody would still have been pissed off and would've been complaining about how stupid he was for not taking the points. I wanted him to go for it but the call wasn't what I would consider horrible.

don137
12-13-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Cntrygal

I agree completely. The best thing for the team is to stick by there coaches decision. The media and fans should be the only ones second guessing the coaches decisions.

WCoastFin
12-13-2002, 12:18 PM
looks like the boys would rather be home for the holidays every year...LMAO! I hope GW sticks around for another decade or so.

don137
12-13-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by WCoastFin
looks like the boys would rather be home for the holidays every year...LMAO! I hope GW sticks around for another decade or so.

If just making the playoffs makes you happy then I guess you can laugh because your team gets embarassed every year in the playoffs...

lordofgun
12-13-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
If they went for it and stopped everybody would still have been pissed off and would've been complaining about how stupid he was for not taking the points. I wanted him to go for it but the call wasn't what I would consider horrible.

I don't know if anyone's saying his decision was horrible. What IS inexcusable is not knowing the distance you need for the first down when the rest of the country does know. It IS horrible that he didn't make an intelligent, informed situation based on how far they actually had to go for the first down. There's a big difference between 4th and 2 and 4th and inches.

TedMock
12-13-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

I don't know if anyone's saying his decision was horrible. What IS inexcusable is not knowing the distance you need for the first down when the rest of the country does know. It IS horrible that he didn't make an intelligent, informed situation based on how far they actually had to go for the first down. There's a big difference between 4th and 2 and 4th and inches.

I agree with that, somebody upstairs made a huge error. I hope to god it was addressed the next day. It is a big difference that although can't be easily seen from the sideline, it can be easily seen from in the booth. There are people being paid to watch for things like this and I'm surprised they didn't let someone up there go.

Buffarama
12-13-2002, 01:01 PM
The real unedited quotes from the players has surfaced:

Ruben Brown- " What can I say? We practiced the 46 offense all week"

Teague- " What a dope our coach is, what an ultra maroon"

Sullivan- " I'd like to give Greg my really big shoe"

Williams- " Yeah I'm a rookie, but any fool knows enough to go for that one"

Jennings- "Greg had a high cerebral sprain"

Drew- "I told him, c'mon rainman, let's go for it!"

Travis- "We didn't have a pass play for inside the 10 that would work"

Rob Ray?- "I wanted to pull the sweater vest over his head and start hitting him"

Peerless- "The man has no dick"

Moulds- "You get what you pay for"

SoCalBillsFan
12-13-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Buffarama
Travis- "We didn't have a pass play for inside the 10 that would work"

:lol:

BillC
12-13-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Cntrygal

Originally posted by don137

I agree completely. The best thing for the team is to stick by there coaches decision. The media and fans should be the only ones second guessing the coaches decisions.

You know, you just can't put a price tag on loyal employees. I know I could have never survived wihout them.

Did they find the players after the game shredding the playbooks? Destroy the evidence....

RedEyE
12-13-2002, 05:51 PM
Not going for it on 4th and 1 while down by 20 WITH the season on the line is CLEARLY inexcusible. Being down 20 - 3 means that the Bills still required 3 TDs in order to take the lead - at that point it's really no different then being down 20 - 0. Now if they had gone for it and scored a TD, the Bills then find themselves only 2 scores out of the lead. That makes one hell of a difference when trailing, especially considering that they found the endzone twice by games end. These are SIMPLE situations that each and every coach should be aware of and just like LOG stated earlier, GW admitted that he wasn't even aware of the spot of the ball. The Bills not making the Super Bowl, or even the playoffs IS excusible, but the frequent poor coaching decisions by GW and his staff is NOT.

Buffarama
12-13-2002, 08:08 PM
I'm with ya RedEyE. GW just doesn't get it. We still needed three scores in limited time, especially with a sieve for a defense, we probably needed four.
Buffalo should not be a training ground for coaches.

DIHARD2
12-13-2002, 09:33 PM
New England's defense would have stop the run they are that good, and being that close to the end zone they are not going to give up a short pass. So what you're saying is if G. W. would have gone for it and we didn't get that score, none of you would be *****ing that we could had at least had three, but it was a bad call by the coach.

The fact is with a lot of you it doesn't matter what G. W. does, you're going to second-guess him and use whatever he does to poison the water around him.

I have seen Bledsoe score three touchdowns in less than 10 minutes, so don't use lack of or short time as your excuse it doesn't hold water.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Novacane
12-13-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by DIHARD2
New England's defense would have stop the run they are that good, and being that close to the end zone they are not going to give up a short pass.

You say this like it is fact. You don't know what would have happend. Taking the FG did not do us any good

German
12-13-2002, 09:44 PM
Dihard,

I agree with you to some extend.

In a normal mid-season game it would have been a good call but with the season on the line and trailing 20-0 it was a put up or shut up situation. And GW chikened out.

If he would have went for it and failed I would still say it was the right call in this particular situation.

The call that really bothered me though was the pass play on the goal line that resulted in the turnover.

Buffarama
12-13-2002, 09:50 PM
New England's defense would have stop the run they are that good, and being that close to the end zone they are not going to give up a short pass. So what you're saying is if G. W. would have gone for it and we didn't get that score, none of you would be *****ing that we could had at least had three, but it was a bad call by the coach.

The fact is with a lot of you it doesn't matter what G. W. does, you're going to second-guess him and use whatever he does to poison the water around him.

I have seen Bledsoe score three touchdowns in less than 10 minutes, so don't use lack of or short time as your excuse it doesn't hold water.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Well thats the same defeatist attitude Williams had. If NE will stop the run and the pass, why even play the game?

RedEyE
12-13-2002, 09:57 PM

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

What I am saying (not "*****ing") is that the 3 points did nothing for the team. The call was gutless and provided no message of confidence. Please tell me why GW shouldn't have gambled on a 4th and 1 this late in the season with everything on the line, then back up his statement that he thought it was 4th and 2. Kicking that field goal is theoretically no different then going for it and getting stuffed, the only difference is that by going for it, a coach shows that he has fortified confidence in his offense. If they don't make it, it really isn't no big deal because the Bills would have had to make three more trips to the end zone even have kicked the field goal. And your right, Bledsoe can score 3 TDS in less then 10 minutes ~ had they gone for it and gotten the first down, Bledsoe may just have thrown his first of three. Get it?

mybills
12-13-2002, 09:59 PM
New England's defense would have stop the run they are that good, and being that close to the end zone they are not going to give up a short pass.

Scuse me, that's about the only thing NE's been having trouble with all season. Defense in the redzone.

Not sure which games you've been watching but Redeye's right on the money with this..."Not going for it on 4th and 1 while down by 20 WITH the season on the line is CLEARLY inexcusible."

DIHARD2
12-14-2002, 12:22 AM
It was still too early in the game, there was still too much time left on the clock and points were needed just to get the pump prime. Three points are better than walking away with none at that time in the game. I also feel if we would've walked away with no points on that drive the team would've been even more demoralized.

I still feel we had a good chance until our next turnover and I believe that's what finally killed it. Not the 3 points decision. The team didn't quit on itself even the last four minutes of the game.

We lost this game not because of the coaches decision not to go for seven points, we lost this game because you cannot turn the ball over five times against a team like New England.

I don't think that decision of taking three points over 7 has anything to do with us winning or losing the game. And from watching that game I didn't see the team quitting when everyone thinks they should have. The team didn't act like they felt the coach quit on them, so where is everybody's proof that this happened. As fans I think we are all reading more into this then what there was, and if the players have no issue on it, why do we.

BledsoeTOreedfor6, and what everyone is saying about the decision not to go with the 7 is saying something that is of no fact also.

Buffarama, I agree why play the game. The fact is, that one decision did not cost us the game, TURNOVERS DID!

RedEyE I'm saying the three points had a lot to do for the team in morale wise, you can't drive that far down the field and not come back with out something. If we would have walked away with nothing on that drive I don't believe the score would not have ended up 17 it might have gotten as high as , maybe 10. By us not scoring would have also put more momentum on New England's side of the ball.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

DIHARD2
12-14-2002, 12:37 AM
I'm not saying that GW is God gift to coaching, but I have seen worst decisions out of more experience coaches this year. The guy still hasn't been able to coach a whole team, he only has one side of the ball at this point, and those players on average are only one and two-year players.

I believe we are not going to see a coaching change, unless we don't win any more games, and that itself is not a guarantee. They had to a promised G. W. something in order for him to keep RJ last year, I know he wanted to get rid of them both RJ and DF.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

DIHARD2
12-14-2002, 02:06 AM
German, that pass play smells more like a Bledsoe decision at the line. But we will never know, also don't forget he is the last one that decides on what is and what isn't played.

I don't think you're going to see anybody chastising Bledsoe at any time on the field, right now he is our best answer, and he can make any of these coaches look bad quickly, and I don't think they need any help.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Typ0
12-14-2002, 02:08 AM
Not going for it on 4th and 1 while down by 20 WITH the season on the line is CLEARLY inexcusible. Being down 20 - 3 means that the Bills still required 3 TDs in order to take the lead - at that point it's really no different then being down 20 - 0. Now if they had gone for it and scored a TD, the Bills then find themselves only 2 scores out of the lead. That makes one hell of a difference when trailing, especially considering that they found the endzone twice by games end. These are SIMPLE situations that each and every coach should be aware of and just like LOG stated earlier, GW admitted that he wasn't even aware of the spot of the ball. The Bills not making the Super Bowl, or even the playoffs IS excusible, but the frequent poor coaching decisions by GW and his staff is NOT.

This quote is just plain wrong. Either way we are three scores behind but one way the three scores are all touchdowns to take a lead and the second way is two touchdowns and a field-goal to tie the game. Two TDs and a field goal is a lot different than Three TDs it allows you to go down there and get a field goal again and make use of it. Basically they were in a situation where they had to score on their next three possessions I would say the odds are much better they can get two TDs and a field goal than they are to get three TDs in a row. Kicking that field goal gave them more choices and opportunities which is why they put the points on the board.

WG
12-14-2002, 08:32 AM
Geez, I'm reading this, and I'm being told all along that it was purely the defense's fault for us not winning games...

Issues w/ the O?! No way! :D

;)

DIHARD2
12-15-2002, 02:12 AM
Wys Guy, the only one creating the BS is the media, they really have nothing to get the fans riled up about, so they're just looking at ways to sell their newspaper and magazine.

To me this is a nonissue once the team came out and stated their backing the coach's decision. After all its players who have to stand behind, and believe in the coach, it's not the fans. After all were not the ones that are out on the field bleeding.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...