PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton just reported...

Nighthawk
04-22-2005, 10:56 PM
That it looks like Arizona is going to win the Travis Henry sweepstakes by trading Buffalo a 3rd rounder. Huh, we held out for this? I've said before, TD blew it by not trading Henry when his value at his highest last offseason. Now we are trading a guy we took in the 2nd and who has been productive, for a 3rd. Don't really like the sounds of it, but Oh well!

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Dude, this is a rumor, don't get pissed off just yet. See the trade before you let your emotions take over.

Nighthawk
04-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Dude, this is a rumor, don't get pissed off just yet. See the trade before you let your emotions take over.

Trust me, I'm not pissed. I just believe TD F'd up by not trading Henry last year at this time. You can go back and view last years threads and I've said all along, he would lose value by keeping him another year. That has happened...and it sucks. No big deal, hopefully we turn whatever we get for him into a good player. We'll see...

ParanoidAndroid
04-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Ummm...he means Shelton AND a 3rd rounder right? No way is Donahoe that dumb.

Nighthawk
04-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Ummm...he means Shelton AND a 3rd rounder right? No way is Donahoe that dumb.

Don't know, just said a 3rd rounder.

lordofgun
04-22-2005, 11:19 PM
At this point, they can keep Shelton. Why pay 3mil/season to an average player?

DMBcrew36
04-22-2005, 11:26 PM
i saw it... he was just speculating... we'll just wait and see what happens tomorrow

ParanoidAndroid
04-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Well. If that is the best offer TD gets then I guess that's all we can expect. I suppose TD could package the #75 and #55 in an attempt to move up if he needs to. But then why not give Philly TH and #55 for #35. Maybe TD could coax out an additional second day pick as well. I've been saying TH and #55 for Philly's #35 and #94 but I think #94 is too much. Now I'm thinking #35 and #172.

Romes
04-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Earlier we heard a report that no one was willing to offer a 1st day pick for Henry. So a 3rd is an improvement on that. I'd love a 2nd rounder but I doubt we'd get it for Henry. A 3rd is the best we can get, IMO.

Albany,n.y.
04-22-2005, 11:51 PM
That it looks like Arizona is going to win the Travis Henry sweepstakes by trading Buffalo a 3rd rounder. Huh, we held out for this? I've said before, TD blew it by not trading Henry when his value at his highest last offseason. Now we are trading a guy we took in the 2nd and who has been productive, for a 3rd. Don't really like the sounds of it, but Oh well!

Willis hadn't played a down in the NFL last offseason, he wasn't recovered enough for the Bills to know what he had.
Sure TH's value was higher, but WM was an unknown. Also there are 3 reasons TH's value is lower-He is on the last year of his contract & he's whining and being a baby, and he got injured & did nothing the last part of the season.
If you want to pick a time to trade TH, it was at the trading deadline during last season, before TH got hurt, but after WM had taken over, not at this time last year-that would have been too much of a gamble.

ArcticWildMan
04-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Shelton and a 3rd is better than what we have now.

I trust TD to get the best deal for a player who we weren't going to keep anyway.

RELAX guys.

AssphawN
04-22-2005, 11:54 PM
I've said before, TD blew it by not trading Henry when his value at his highest last offseason. Now we are trading a guy we took in the 2nd and who has been productive, for a 3rd. Don't really like the sounds of it, but Oh well!

Again, I don't post often, but there is such thing as an opportunity cost that factors into us keeping Travis going into last season. We needed to know for sure that Willis could hold up and that he had promise to be the back he once was. Had we traded Travis, we would have had no insurance what so ever. Imagine the backlash TD would have received had Willis not panned out or had he retorn his ACL after trading a workhorse like Travis away. I think it was a smart and necessary stragedy. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, and teams like Indy and Seattle are in the same boat here (if not more so).

jamze132
04-23-2005, 12:03 AM
So what happens if Willis goes down in the first game of the season?

AssphawN
04-23-2005, 12:08 AM
My point is that he's now been battle tested... which prior to that, he hadn't.

Mr. Cynical
04-23-2005, 02:54 AM
Why pay 3mil/season to an average player?
Good question. Ya may want to ask TD that one - he seems to like paying high money to average players. *See Drew Bledsoe.

:;

The Spaz
04-23-2005, 03:39 AM
Good question. Ya may want to ask TD that one - he seems to like paying high money to average players. *See Drew Bledsoe.

:;

He also had him restructure and asked him again to restructure and when he wouldn't they released him.

don137
04-23-2005, 05:50 AM
Since when did TD do something on draft day that someone predicted ahead of time? :idunno: One thing that seems to be a pattern in the rumor mill is Henry goes for a 3rd rd pick.

Philagape
04-23-2005, 06:02 AM
Keeping TH last year was the wise thing to do, knowing WHAT WE KNEW THEN. It's absurd to apply what we know NOW to a year ago. I want anyone who says we should have traded TH to say they KNEW Willis would have the year he did. :liar:

Aero II
04-23-2005, 06:03 AM
I saw the John Clayton blurb on Sports Center. What he said was that it looks like Arizona has "sweetened the pot" by adding a third round pick, in order to beat out Philly and TB. He said nothing about just a 3rd. PLEASE, don't panic. By bringing in more suiters Dennis Green realizes that he's not the only one who thinks that TH is an affordable option for his team.

Superhero
04-23-2005, 06:32 AM
This is a free pick. Henry should be a free agent this season, but had his contract extended by a year. The Bills are fortunate to get a 1st day pick for a player who would be a backup up their team & has only 1 year remaining on his contact.

Dr. Lecter
04-23-2005, 07:09 AM
Even just a 3rd is not bad for TH. The guy does have his issues:

1. He can't block
2. His receiving skills are average (at best).
3. He has one year left on his contract.
4. He has had leg injuries two years in a row.
5. His running style leads to a short career.

I would be OK with just a 3rd.

Novacane
04-23-2005, 07:24 AM

1. He can't block

I agree. We should be happy with high third. Some fans put way to much value in Bills players and then devalue players from other teams.

askabry
04-23-2005, 07:42 AM
from what I've read elsewhere ... some of the other rumors are Brian Kelly (worth about a third, given the Buchanon/Surtain trades), and a high third from Eagles. There's likewise a rumor of the Card's third pick straight up plus the Shelton deal - which remarkably winds up as a third pick value.

Corey Dillon was traded for a second. TH is worth a third, and that's that.

The market has spoken. It's not TD's decision, and getting pissed off at him is ridiculous.

camelcowboy
04-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Everyone Claim down. Take a deep breath. If the report is true and Arizona has just matched with higher third rounder. The next step is for someone to offer another pick. If we are lucky the eagles will give their 63rd. Who knows from their, we will see. Henry is not leaving for less than a 2.

I hope.:please:

camelcowboy
04-23-2005, 10:37 AM

1. He can't block

Forgot little girl fetish!