PDA

View Full Version : jesse lumsden and other canucks at the draft.

ticatfan
04-23-2005, 03:28 PM
FOOTBALL: NFL DRAFT PREVIEWAll Lumsden can do now is just watch and wait'I don't know what to expect,' star CIS running back saysBy DAVID NAYLOR

Saturday, April 23, 2005 Page S2

For months, Jesse Lumsden has been pushing himself to the limit to earn a shot at the National Football League.

But on what could be the most important weekend of his football future, the former McMaster University running back plans to take it easy as the league starts its annual college draft with three rounds today and four tomorrow.

"A bunch of my friends and teammates are going to come over and watch the draft, have a barbecue and throw the ball around, do what we always do," Lumsden said. "We'll just be chilling out. Hopefully, I'm selected on Saturday and I won't have to worry about Sunday. That would be real nice."

The 22-year-old from Burlington, Ont., is well advised to keep things low key this weekend because even sure-thing NFL prospects sometimes slip through all seven rounds without being drafted.

Advertisements

For months, a debate has raged in football circles in Canada over whether the 6-foot-2, 225-pound Lumsden, who won the 2004 Hec Crighton Trophy as Canadian Interuniversity Sport's football player of the year, should be considered a serious prospect to carry the ball in the NFL, something only two Canadian university running backs have ever accomplished.

Lumsden had a dream season in 2004, breaking CIS single-season records in rushing for 1,816 yards and scoring 21 touchdowns in 8 games, while compiling 4,238 rushing yards and 47 touchdowns in his Ontario university career.

While he's considered an extreme long shot to be taken during one of today's first three rounds, his chances are much better of being selected late tomorrow or signing after the draft as a free agent.

"I don't know what to expect," Lumsden said. "If I'm drafted, I'll be ecstatic. If not, then I'll turn the page and see what happens after that. I don't think there's any more that I could've done. It's been out of my hands for a while."

What happens this weekend won't just affect Lumsden's potential NFL future. It could also dictate where he goes when the Canadian Football League makes its draft selections on Thursday, because many of those clubs shy away from players who earn an NFL opportunity.

Unlike Lumsden, two other Canadians don't have to worry whether their names will be called this weekend.

For free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe of Windsor, Ont., and offensive tackle Nick Kaczur of Brantford, Ont., it's just a matter of when.

Atogwe, a four-sport athlete in high school who graduated with an average of 94 per cent, led Stanford University in tackles each of the past three seasons and is noted for his leadership and intelligence.

He's expected to be taken in the third or fourth round, with some publications projecting him going late in the second. The knock against him is his body, which, at 5 foot 11 and 215 pounds, is slightly undersized for an NFL safety, and his lack of fluidity.

"Teams have the impression that I was stiff and not as fluid as some players, but I think I've shown them I'm as fluid as some corners," he said.

"My height has been an issue because they want safeties at 6 foot 1 or 6 foot 2. I can't do much about that, but I showed them I have a pretty good vertical, which allows me to play among taller players."

Ron Dias, who runs a scouting service based in Waterloo, Ont., that helped Atogwe get to Stanford, remembers similar concerns about him coming out of high school. In fact, Dias couldn't get Michigan or Michigan State to take Atogwe seriously.

"I was telling them he's a kid in your own backyard, you've got to take a look at him," Dias said. "Michigan cancelled his visit at the last minute, and I thought 'You guys are missing the boat.'

"I think he's still being underprojected because he brings so much intangibles. He's one of those guys who everyone likes and people are attracted to being around."

Atogwe was drafted by the B.C. Lions a year ago, but there seems little chance he will join his brother, Maha, a defensive back with Edmonton, in the CFL any time soon.

Kaczur's story is one of perseverance for a player who didn't have the marks to go to college after high school.

Instead, he went to work in a mill while spending nights working to improve his grades.

A starter for every game of his four-year career at the University of Toledo, the 6-foot-4, 319-pound player was an all-conference star each season. He rates strongly, with few technical weaknesses and a nasty streak to boot. He's projected to be selected in the third or fourth round.

"He's one of those guys who is quiet off the field, but on the field has a totally different persona altogether," Dias said.

"He's not mean in a negative way. Just that he plays hard to the whistle and doesn't make excuses or apologies. He's almost a throwback kind of a kid."

Billy Palmer, the Notre Dame tight end who grew up in Ottawa and the younger brother of New York Giants quarterback Jesse Palmer, is not projected to earn a NFL free-agent opportunity. He was, however, selected last season by the Calgary Stampeders.

Louis-Phillip Ladouceur of Pointe-Claire, Que., may get an NFL look as a free agent.

The CFL to the 6-foot-5, 257-pound long snapper from the University of California belong to the Ottawa Renegades.