PDA

View Full Version : OL

HurryUpTom
04-23-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm just thinking back to when we released Bledsoe ... I thought for certain that Donahoe had mentioned that improving the OL was a priority for this season because Bledsoe wasn't the whole reason that our offense sucked.

In FA so far, we lost Jennings (our best OL and LT) and signed Anderson (an upgrade at LG). Gandy and Price are a wash. I think that makes our OL take a significant step backwards.

In the draft, we obviously have done nothing on day 1 and it looks like we have to hope that we have a Koppen-type pick in day 2 (although our day 2 OL have been less than stellar so far).

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Tatonka
04-23-2005, 10:02 PM
TD even made a point to say that the line was a major priority that they will be looking to take care of on day one, during his luncheon.. but i guess he realized what all the winning programs already know.. which is that 3/4th string WRs and 3rd string TEs are much more important than finding starters for the line..

we can just pick up any scrub on day two of the draft.. because we have the best OLine coach in the history of the game.. he could take any beer delivery guy and turn him into the next anthony munoz. :up:

Novacane
04-23-2005, 10:12 PM
we can just pick up any scrub on day two of the draft.. because we have the best OLine coach in the history of the game.. he could take any beer delivery guy and turn him into the next anthony munoz. :up:

.........that seems to be the attitude at OBD

Tatonka
04-23-2005, 10:15 PM
not just at OBD.. look at pittsburg.. their line sucked.. they just had really good receivers. :rolleyes:

lol

jpdex12
04-23-2005, 11:21 PM
not just at OBD.. look at pittsburg.. their line sucked.. they just had really good receivers. :rolleyes:

lol
JP's gonna be running his balls off this year!

ddaryl
04-23-2005, 11:24 PM
There were no worthy OL left on the board at our #55 pick.

Terry, and Incognito don't rate much higher then many other OL still left.

Even if we did take the best OL lon the board at any of our picks they more then likely would not have started for us, especially at LT

mybills
04-24-2005, 12:26 AM
:gag:

HurryUpTom
04-24-2005, 12:27 AM
There were no worthy OL left on the board at our #55 pick.

Terry, and Incognito don't rate much higher then many other OL still left.

Even if we did take the best OL lon the board at any of our picks they more then likely would not have started for us, especially at LT
So our entire offseason plan to upgrade the OL rested on the #55 pick? That's a fragile, fragile plan for something that was mentioned as a major need.

Mr. Cynical
04-24-2005, 12:53 AM
TD even made a point to say that the line was a major priority that they will be looking to take care of on day one, during his luncheon.. but i guess he realized what all the winning programs already know.. which is that 3/4th string WRs and 3rd string TEs are much more important than finding starters for the line..

:10:

Dozerdog
04-24-2005, 01:07 AM
OL is a priotity- but would you draft- say- the 75th or 80th ranked player on your board at 55 just because he's the highest rated one left?

HurryUpTom
04-24-2005, 01:13 AM
OL is a priotity- but would you draft- say- the 75th or 80th ranked player on your board at 55 just because he's the highest rated one left?
Maybe I should rephrase ... OL was stated as a priority and so far this offseason it has gotten worse. Agree/disagree?

camelcowboy
04-24-2005, 01:14 AM
Maybe I should rephrase ... OL was stated as a priority and so far this offseason it has gotten worse. Agree/disagree?
Agreed!

Dantheman1280
04-24-2005, 07:31 AM

Good point, but instead Td Picks the softest Tight End I've ever seen. I live in south florida, so durning college football season the Canes are always one and let me tell you this Kid blocks about as well as my mother!!

Jan Reimers
04-24-2005, 07:33 AM
There are several good O Linemen left for day 2, including tackles Britt, Munoz, Stewart, Petitti and Willis, and a number of guard/centers like Terrell, Buenning, Kemoeatu, Kaczur, E. Brown, J. Brown and Wilkerson.

I think we'll grab at least a tackle, and maybe an interior guy.

ryjam282
04-24-2005, 07:39 AM
Good point, but instead Td Picks the softest Tight End I've ever seen. I live in south florida, so durning college football season the Canes are always one and let me tell you this Kid blocks about as well as my mother!!

Hey Dan....I think you might have had Everett mixed up with Olsen no? Olsen is the bad blocker IMO. Everett is a pretty good one. Not to mention the rest of the Cane OL was swiss cheese last season. I thought Everett was pretty good. A very good TE though.

ryjam282
04-24-2005, 07:41 AM
There are several good O Linemen left for day 2, including tackles Britt, Munoz, Stewart, Petitti and Willis, and a number of guard/centers like Terrell, Buenning, Kemoeatu, Kaczur, E. Brown, J. Brown and Wilkerson.

I think we'll grab at least a tackle, and maybe an interior guy.

:posrep:

Very true...Nice post :10:

ryjam282
04-24-2005, 08:46 AM
How can we pass up Wilkerson right now? Most say he was the best center in the draft...

The Spaz
04-24-2005, 08:47 AM
How can we pass up Wilkerson right now? Most say he was the best center in the draft...

To fall this far he must have some serious injury issues.

Dozerdog
04-24-2005, 10:54 AM
When they say they will put a priority on improving the OL, people automatically equate it with "Use the high picks on it"

You grab guys who are worthy of the draft spot. You don't grab a 4th round guy in rd 2 "just because it's a hole"

Either trade down (if there are trade partners) or fill other holes if there are guys worthy at the spot you are picking at. TD chose the latter.

If we go thrpougfh 7 rounds and don't draft OL, then we can ***** and moan.

Tatonka
04-24-2005, 10:58 AM
When they say they will put a priority on improving the OL, people automatically equate it with "Use the high picks on it"

You grab guys who are worthy of the draft spot. You don't grab a 4th round guy in rd 2 "just because it's a hole"

Either trade down (if there are trade partners) or fill other holes if there are guys worthy at the spot you are picking at. TD chose the latter.

If we go thrpougfh 7 rounds and don't draft OL, then we can ***** and moan.

actually, TD specifically said they were looking to upgrade the lines on day one...

Kenny
04-24-2005, 10:59 AM
Maybe it's time we finally moved Mike Williams to LT? (do you guys think he's ready?)

Of all the tackles left in the draft, the guy who I like most is Ray Willis. He might not be as talented as Baron is, but he's got the mental and physical toughness you want in a RT.

Dozerdog
04-24-2005, 11:05 AM
actually, TD specifically said they were looking to upgrade the lines on day one...
Again- If a guy high on the list was on the board then sure- I think he would have taken a Spencer, A Baas, a Barnes at 55. But do you want us to pick a 4th rd OL guy at 55?

DraftBoy
04-24-2005, 11:11 AM

Yea but if the guys he's looking at are not avail what do yuo want him to do? He makes a reach pick and you guys rip him for that, he cant win