PDA

View Full Version : What does yesterday's picks mean?

ryjam282
04-24-2005, 07:33 AM
NATE IS STAYING.

When Justin Smith was still on the board I thought for sure we were getting him and then we get Roscoe Pico Train instead....TD knows he is keeping Nate Clements and that was proof.

Philagape
04-24-2005, 07:39 AM
That's what I've been saying. Nate will stay, Moulds will go, which is the way it should be.

ryjam282
04-24-2005, 07:47 AM
:posrep: I agree.

don137
04-24-2005, 07:58 AM
I agree that Moulds is most likely gone after this year. I also think Mularkey is trying to emulate the Patriots with fast receivers. My guess is the brass thinks they can address the OL later but it's harder to get the receiver for the system than an lineman. I am just not convinced they will fill the needs later. IMO Buffalo has done below average in the second day of the draft since TD has taken over. Other teams have done a lot better than Buffalo in the second day of the draft

jamze132
04-24-2005, 09:34 AM
I agree that Moulds is most likely gone after this year. I also think Mularkey is trying to emulate the Patriots with fast receivers. My guess is the brass thinks they can address the OL later but it's harder to get the receiver for the system than an lineman. I am just not convinced they will fill the needs later. IMO Buffalo has done below average in the second day of the draft since TD has taken over. Other teams have done a lot better than Buffalo in the second day of the draft
In rounds 5-7, they just put names in a hat and pick one.

JK :lmao:

Tatonka
04-24-2005, 09:44 AM
"what do yesterdays picks mean?"

that we are committed to filling out our lacking oline with more late round "diamonds in the rough" that we have to hope that mcnally can turn into players?

oh yeah.. and nate will at a minimum be franchised. just because nate is going to get tagged though, does not mean that we will pay what he wants... which will be most likely the highest paid cb in the league.

Tatonka
04-24-2005, 09:55 AM
"what do yesterdays picks mean?"

that we are committed to filling out our lacking oline with more late round "diamonds in the rough" that we have to hope that mcnally can turn into players?

i agree nate will at a minimum be franchised. just because nate is going to get tagged though, does not mean that we will pay what he wants... which will be most likely the highest paid cb in the league.

DraftBoy
04-24-2005, 10:08 AM
I agree I dont know that Nate will sign a franchise tender, he may want top or top 3 money which he wont get with the tender

don137
04-24-2005, 10:09 AM
What yesterday's picks mean is TD had to draft another WR because he failed to draft a quality WR for depth in previous drafts. Look at the Patriots they are able to get quality depth guys late in drafts so they don't have to go back and keep adressing the same need every year. David Givens was a 7th round pick. TD on the other hands has to waste a 2nd round pick when there are other bigger holes because other TD drafted players like Josh Reed, Sam Aiken, Jonathon Smith didn't develop enough into quality wide receivers so Buffalo could look elsewhere in round two. Like I said, there is a reason why the Bills have not made the playoffs. Poor drafting...
Justin Miller would of been a quality DB to develop this year that could of possibly stepped in for Nate Clements next year. Instead Buffalo will have to pour franchise money into Clements leaving less money to address other needs next year.

HHURRICANE
04-24-2005, 10:12 AM
They must think Losman is very good. It means Losman needs another target while he is running. They must be worried that one of our TE's is permanately injured. It means that Arizona got JJ whick killed the Henry deal. It means that there were no decent starting OL's at 55. It means if we want Shelton were are going to get him when he gets cut.

Historian
04-24-2005, 10:53 AM
What it means?

That the Bills don't give a crap about this draft. (Well, you know what I mean)

The Bills feel, (as do I) that we have a playoff bound team already, that most of the pieces are in place, and that anything on top of that, is gravy. So they're just trying to get depth in certain areas for the future.

ShadowHawk7
04-24-2005, 10:55 AM
It means the Bills are adding as many versatile weapons to JPs arsenal as they can. We will be seeing a lot more varied WR and TE sets than before. 2 TEs or 4 WR sets will be more common. Our offense has just been given a lot of options and unpredictablity. This should help JP, and in that process, take pressure off of WM, who was, and to a much lesser extent now, is the workhorse of our offense.

This also gives a vote of confidence that

We will keep Clements

The Bills feel that our current DTs are good enough

MM will add a lot of wrinkles to our offense

And here to having a good line in 2005.. :beer:

DraftBoy
04-24-2005, 11:03 AM
I think it means that we will be giving McGahee more looks to run from in 05 and less FB play similar to Miami. We will most likely spread the field with 3 or 4 wide and a TE and one HB.

Michael82
04-24-2005, 03:20 PM
It means a few things....

1. We are going to be running a wide open ball control offense. They will pound the ball with Willis McGahee, but he won't need to have 30 touches a game. JP will be airing it out to Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, and Roscoe Parrish. We have a lot of speed on this offense too.

2. Roscoe Parrish will be the Antwan Randle-El of this team. I could hear it in Mularkey's voice when they asked him.

3. Nate Clements will get a nice deal right before the season starts and will be a Bill for life. It will basically be like last year when Donahoe showed that he had no problem paying Aaron Schobel the money it takes to keep him.

4. Don't believe what you hear. I don't think that Tim Euhus' knee is healing as fast as they want it to. I see Mark Campbell and Kevin Everett starting the season, and next year it will be be Tim Euhus and Kevin Everett. Campbell will be gone.

5. Travis Henry is getting held onto until training camp/preseason injuries and I like this move. TD couldn't even get a 3rd rounder for him and that's BS. Once injuries occur, I could see someone giving a conditional 2nd rounder next year for him.

ArcticWildMan
04-24-2005, 03:31 PM
I agree with Don to a degree. Some of our past draft picks (especially rcvrs and to a lesser degree DB's) haven't panned out as we had hoped. I wouldn't really call it "poor drafting" but the lack of productivity by some of the later picks has made us more reactionary in this draft than I had hoped.

John Doe
04-24-2005, 03:33 PM
It means that we did not have enough speed on offense last year.

Michael82
04-24-2005, 03:38 PM
It means that we did not have enough speed on offense last year.
:bf1:

Captain gameboy
04-24-2005, 03:42 PM
To me it means McNally has much more influence on the O'line personnel than I thought.
Look at who we passed up.

I think TD deferred to McNally on O line issues, and McNally's name will be all over this years Oline.

I think McNally gets what he wants, and would have in this draft.

This is what he wanted, and I'm going to hold McNally accountable.

EDS
04-24-2005, 03:51 PM
It means a few things....

1. We are going to be running a wide open ball control offense. They will pound the ball with Willis McGahee, but he won't need to have 30 touches a game. JP will be airing it out to Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, and Roscoe Parrish. We have a lot of speed on this offense too.

2. Roscoe Parrish will be the Antwan Randle-El of this team. I could hear it in Mularkey's voice when they asked him.

3. Nate Clements will get a nice deal right before the season starts and will be a Bill for life. It will basically be like last year when Donahoe showed that he had no problem paying Aaron Schobel the money it takes to keep him.

4. Don't believe what you hear. I don't think that Tim Euhus' knee is healing as fast as they want it to. I see Mark Campbell and Kevin Everett starting the season, and next year it will be be Tim Euhus and Kevin Everett. Campbell will be gone.

5. Travis Henry is getting held onto until training camp/preseason injuries and I like this move. TD couldn't even get a 3rd rounder for him and that's BS. Once injuries occur, I could see someone giving a conditional 2nd rounder next year for him.

Excellent post. Obviously Mularkey feels the team needs to increase its speed on the offensive side of the ball. This process was started last year with McGahee, Evans and Euhus. The trend contines this year with Roscoe and Everett.

Bills now have some explosive speed on offense - particularly if McGahee regains his pre-injury speed - that will put alot of pressure on opposing defenses.

Bills have added two solid pospects for the o-line. Preston and Geisinger are both strong at the point of attack and good technicians.