PDA

View Full Version : C Duke Preston

Philagape
04-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Profile (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/preston_raymond)

Kerr
04-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Not bad. We took care of two positions at once by drafting him. He can play Guard and Center.

BillsRockSOMUCH
04-24-2005, 11:19 AM
But why him over Jason Brown or Wilkerson? Preston would've been there in the 5th or 6th

daxquix
04-24-2005, 11:19 AM
It says his dad played in the NFL ... anyone know how good he was?

Crisis
04-24-2005, 11:20 AM
He took over for Luke Butkus, starting every game at center in 2002, recording 63 knockdowns while allowing a pair of sacks. In 2003, he was credited with 71 knockdowns and gave up only one sack. As a senior, he was one of the few bright spots on the team, showing much better dominance vs. top-level competition. He finished 2004 with 74 knockdowns while allowing no quarterback sacks, despite most of the offensive unit struggling all year.

Ferrygoat
what is td thinking? we passed on jason brown from unc and ben wilkerson of lsu for duke preston? great move to pass on the 2 of the top centers in the draft to get a guy they compare to try teague

muestafa1
ESPN had this analysis:

"Overall: Preston red-shirted in 2000 and he appeared in two games of the 2001 season. He took over as a starter in 2002 and has been the fulltime starter the past three seasons. Preston is a blue-collar player that never stops working and rarely makes mistakes, but his potential is limited by his lack of natural ability. He doesn't run well enough to consistently reach his blocks at the second level and he isn't quick enough to prevent penetration in pass protection against elite one-gap DT's. That said; Preston's work ethic, size and sound technique are enough to give him a chance to compete for a roster spot as a reserve in the NFL. In our opinion, he's worth taking a chance on in the seventh round but not any earlier. "

Hope TD and company saw something in him that the scouts didn't...

Crisis
04-24-2005, 11:21 AM
No past injuries, amazing academics, good off-field history.

Solid pick.

daxquix
04-24-2005, 11:22 AM
But why him over Brown or Wilkerson? Preston would've been there in the 5th or 6th
Brown was taken.

venis2k1
04-24-2005, 11:23 AM
i liked the first two picks, but i just dont get this one. who is this guy???

Jan Reimers
04-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Must be McNally really likes him. But I'd like him better in a later round - or as an UDFA.

The Spaz
ESPN had this analysis:

"Overall: Preston red-shirted in 2000 and he appeared in two games of the 2001 season. He took over as a starter in 2002 and has been the fulltime starter the past three seasons. Preston is a blue-collar player that never stops working and rarely makes mistakes, but his potential is limited by his lack of natural ability. He doesn't run well enough to consistently reach his blocks at the second level and he isn't quick enough to prevent penetration in pass protection against elite one-gap DT's. That said; Preston's work ethic, size and sound technique are enough to give him a chance to compete for a roster spot as a reserve in the NFL. In our opinion, he's worth taking a chance on in the seventh round but not any earlier. "

Hope TD and company saw something in him that the scouts didn't...

The Bills have their own scouts and I think they prefer to use them.:up:

daxquix
i liked the first two picks, but i just dont get this one. who is this guy???
Who was Tom Brady when they drafted him in the 6th, or 7th round??

Wolffman
He's a hard working, blue collar guy. Those are the people that you build your team around. I like the pick.

chubluv
Brown was taken.

brown went 2 picks after us. So we could of had him if we wanted.

BillsRockSOMUCH
Brown was taken.
No, Brown went to Baltimore at 124 two picks after we took Preston

jeffhcb
04-24-2005, 11:25 AM
There goes TD again. Ignoring conventional wisdom by picking a guy no one had rated highly. You can't tell me that guy wouldn't have been around later. I don't think anyone took Brown.

gonzo1105
04-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Brown was taken.

He's talking about Center Jason Brown not G Elton Brown. I have no idea why we went for Preston over Brown but who knows once upon a time ...people were complaining about the Bills taking Terrance McGee who was projected as a 7th round pick or UDFA and the Bills took him in the 4th. So who knows.

jeffhcb
04-24-2005, 11:27 AM
There goes TD again. Ignoring conventional wisdom by picking a guy no one had rated highly. You can't tell me that guy wouldn't have been around later. He did pass on Jason Brown. In fact Baltimore just took him at 124. What the F*** is TD doing???

daxquix
04-24-2005, 11:28 AM
brown went 2 picks after us. So we could of had him if we wanted.
My bad. I thought you were referring to Elton Brown who went earlier in the 4th round.

THATHURMANATOR
04-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Its the 4th round. The guy sounds decent.

The Spaz
04-24-2005, 11:36 AM
A chat with Raymond "Duke" Preston

http://fightingillini.collegesports.com/chat/081904aaa.html

The Spaz
04-24-2005, 11:37 AM
People ***** that we didn't address the o-line and when we do it's the wrong guy.:rolleyes:

Philagape
04-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Other teams make unconventional picks too (Frank Gore? Maurice Clarett? Logan Mankins?). So it's not safe to follow the strategy of "he'll be there in the next round." If someone is next on YOUR board, take him. Screw what other teams might do.

DraftBoy
04-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Brown has his on issues, like weight problems and he got absolutely owned at the Senior Bowl. I like Preston alot he only allowed 5 career sacks? Thats amazing.

Dozerdog
04-24-2005, 11:42 AM
what is td thinking? we passed on jason brown from unc and ben wilkerson of lsu for duke preston? great move to pass on the 2 of the top centers in the draft to get a guy they compare to try teague

Well, obviously the NFL doesn't rank these guys as highly as you or the amature draft sites. If the entire NFL passed this guy over almost 4 times then he's not as good as we thought.

Centers picked over Wilkerson-

Baas, David 6-4 319 Michigan 2 33 San Francisco

Incognito, Richie 6-3 305 Nebraska 3 81 St. Louis

Preston, Raymond 'Duke' 6-5 311 Illinois 4 122 Buffalo
Ghiaciuc, Eric 6-4 302 Central Michigan 4 119 Cincinnati
Brown, Jason 6-3 313 North Carolina 4 124 Baltimore

Wilkerson, Ben 6-3 299 Louisiana State ??????

Guards picked over Brown- and New England- the gold standard for draft evaluating teams, picked 2 guards over him!

Mankins, Logan 6-4 307 Fresno State 1 32 New England

Kaczur, Nick 6-4 319 Toledo 3 100 New England
Mathis, Evan 6-5 304 Alabama 3 79 Carolina
Snyder, Adam 6-5 316 Oregon 3 94 San Francisco

Buenning, Dan 6-4 320 Wisconsin 4 107 Tampa Bay
Brown, Elton 6-5 329 Virginia 4 111 Arizona

ShadowHawk7
04-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Just can't see the knock on Jason Brown.. Why not him?

Jayhawk
04-24-2005, 11:44 AM
I'm not too thrilled on this. Now apparently our T's are good enough. oh well. that's why td has the job and I don't.

DraftBoy
04-24-2005, 11:44 AM

Did you watch the Senior Bowl? Opposing DT's owned him and he had trouble with the pro blocking schemes, consistently out of posistion, and he showed up overweight.

Romes
04-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Raymond Preston is a classic technician who does not make assignment mistakes. In his last two seasons at Illinois, he allowed only one quarterback sack. He is a durable athlete who never missed a game due to injuries and has a quick initial step into his blocks, showing adequate explosion at the snap.

Lets give these draft picks a chance to show what they can do on the field before we get all pissed off at the picks.

The Bills scouts have spent all year preparing for this day going to visit these players, review them on tape, talking to coaches. If you have done the same then you can critisize the picks from a stand point of who is better then who.

As fans I think we can complain about not filling a need. Afterall, as fans that watch every Bills game we know what this team needs but since we haven't gone out and scouted NCAA players for a year preparing for this day we cannot say who is better then whom in this draft, especially in day 2 when the big names are off the board.

DraftBoy
I'm not too thrilled on this. Now apparently our T's are good enough. oh well. that's why td has the job and I don't.

It's the 4th round with some really good T still avail

mybills
People ***** that we didn't address the o-line and when we do it's the wrong guy.:rolleyes:
Anyone's better than Teague at center! :up: I'll take Teague on the line somewhere because he's a good tackler, but he always seems more focused on tackling than snapping the ball..Let's hope this Preston kid can balance the two. :bf1:

That Guy
If the scouts went to North Carolina, and then they went to Illinois, and the guy in Illinois was obviously better.... they pick the guy from Illinois. It's not science, it's football.

Jan Reimers
04-24-2005, 11:47 AM
The Sporting News had Preston as the number 5 center in the draft, and the best long snapper. Could we be looking to save the Dorenbos roster spot?

Romes
04-24-2005, 11:49 AM
The Sporting News had Preston as the number 5 center in the draft, and the best long snapper. Could we be looking to save the Dorenbos roster spot?

Very interesting. If thats the case then great a starting center who can long snap too would be great. :up:

Now I can't wait till training camp.

jeffhcb
04-24-2005, 11:50 AM
On the bright side. At least we have a fresh body at Center. Its highly unlikely Teague will be resigned next year. We still need more bodies on the O-line however. One or two injuries and we have no one who can step up at this point. Name one up and coming lineman on the team. I cannot.

frank74
04-24-2005, 11:54 AM
There goes TD again. Ignoring conventional wisdom by picking a guy no one had rated highly. You can't tell me that guy wouldn't have been around later. He did pass on Jason Brown. In fact Baltimore just took him at 124. What the F*** is TD doing???
i totally agree, as a matter of fact i just threw-up in my mouth. TD is suffering from a rare cognitive disorder which does not allow one to make sound decisions. he's out of his league and everyone has an excuse! why? c'mon guys, it's a joke.

ryjam282
04-24-2005, 11:55 AM
I guess this cements the fact that Teague will be our Tackle next season.

DMBcrew36
04-24-2005, 11:58 AM
some of you guys need to chill out... so damn hypercritical

ddaryl
04-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Wow for all those confused about this pick, do you think that maybe the Bills scouts, coaches and front office had Preston rated higher then what the internet publications might have.

justasportsfan
04-24-2005, 12:01 PM
What the F*** is TD doing???His job. Does anyone ever judge your work as soon as you are given a task or do they wait to judge it after you've done it?

venis2k1
04-24-2005, 12:01 PM
this has to be a mcnally pick.

DMBcrew36
04-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Wow for all those confused about this pick, do you think that maybe the Bills scouts, coaches and front office had Preston rated higher then what the internet publications might have.
honestly, none of these people bashing the pick in here understand that the team saw him as the best available. He probably fits what they want better than the other centers available. He's a smart guy who has the best long snap. He allowed 0 sacks last year with a mediochre line.

Ferrygoat
04-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Brown was taken.
Brown was not taken when we picked, he was picked 2 spots after us by Baltimore

Jan Reimers
04-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Preston, very simply, is a McNally-type player: Smart, hard working, tecnically sound, durable and - best of all - eminently coachable.

DMBcrew36
04-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Preston, very simply, is a McNally-type player: Smart, hard working, tecnically sound, durable and - best of all - eminently coachable.
and he's BIG

Michael82
04-24-2005, 12:06 PM
This will make you feel good.... :ill:

Duke Preston Grade: 3.29
Position: C
Class: Sr
School: Illinois
Conference: Big Ten
Ht., Wt.: 6-5, 311
40 Time: 5.44
Selected by: Buffalo Bills
Round 4, pick 21 (122 overall) Grading System

BIO: Three-year starter voted honorable mention All-Conference last season.

POSITIVES: Excellent position blocker with outstanding football intangibles. Explosive off the snap, blocks with a nasty attitude and very active. Quarterbacks the line well, helps out teammates and fights throughout the play. Sets with a wide base, seals defenders from the action, and keeps his feet moving throughout the play.

NEGATIVES: Not a dominant or powerful center who opens up the middle of the field. Lacks footwork in space and overall blocking range.

ANALYSIS: A marginal athlete with adequate size and poor speed, Preston makes up for his physical shortcomings with a great understanding of the game. Offers some growth potential and could very easily backup at several positions for an NFL squad.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/59652.html

DMBcrew36
04-24-2005, 12:10 PM

It doesn't make me feel bad at all because the scouts and coaches at One Bills Drive know wayyy more than some guy

mysticsoto
04-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Don't forget slow as a snail! I think Preston is the slowest Center out there after Vince Carter...

I wanted Incognito and can't believe he was taken already, but Brown would have been my next choice!

cordog
04-24-2005, 12:11 PM
honestly, none of these people bashing the pick in here understand that the team saw him as the best available. He probably fits what they want better than the other centers available. He's a smart guy who has the best long snap. He allowed 0 sacks last year with a mediochre line.

Dont try talking logic around here, BTW, I like your name. Some people spend too much time listening to Kiper, and watching his best availiable list. And if that player isnt high on Kiper's list, he obviously isnt any good.

DraftBoy
04-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Preston is a great pick here, he is a McNally player big, nasty, technical, and smart....Great pick

cordog
04-24-2005, 12:12 PM

Mikey, there is a reason these guys are working for SI and not an NFL franchise.

The Spaz
04-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Duke Preston Grade: 3.29
Position: C
Class: Sr
School: Illinois
Conference: Big Ten
Ht., Wt.: 6-5, 311
40 Time: 5.44
Selected by: Buffalo Bills
Round 4, pick 21 (122 overall) Grading System

<b>BIO: Three-year starter voted honorable mention All-Conference last season.

POSITIVES: Excellent position blocker with outstanding football intangibles. Explosive off the snap, blocks with a nasty attitude and very active. Quarterbacks the line well, helps out teammates and fights throughout the play. Sets with a wide base, seals defenders from the action, and keeps his feet moving throughout the play.</b>

NEGATIVES: Not a dominant or powerful center who opens up the middle of the field. Lacks footwork in space and overall blocking range.

ANALYSIS: A marginal athlete with adequate size and poor speed, <b>Preston makes up for his physical shortcomings with a great understanding of the game. Offers some growth potential and could very easily backup at several positions for an NFL squad.</b>

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

:up:

DMBcrew36
04-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Dont try talking logic around here, BTW, I like your name. Some people spend too much time listening to Kiper, and watching his best availiable list. And if that player isnt high on Kiper's list, he obviously isnt any good.
I haven't been listening to Kiper and all. Preston wasn't even on the best available on Kipers board (to my knowledge). He was the best available on the Bills board, and obviously for a REASON.

Jan Reimers
04-24-2005, 12:14 PM
Again, I think the Bills go by their own scouting, interviews and film, rather than 3rd hand draft guide analyses. Preston may turn out to be a very good player under McNally.

Michael82
04-24-2005, 12:15 PM
I haven't been listening to Kiper and all. Preston wasn't even on the best available on Kipers board (to my knowledge). He was the best available on the Bills board, and obviously for a REASON.
In McNally we trust. :salute:

DraftBoy
04-24-2005, 12:15 PM
I think he'll challenge Teague to start at C, he's got amazing size something I really like about him.

That Guy
04-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Don't forget slow as a snail! I think Preston is the slowest Center out there after Vince Carter...

I wanted Incognito and can't believe he was taken already, but Brown would have been my next choice!
In the times I saw Brown ran a 5.7 40.

Michael82
04-24-2005, 12:16 PM
:up:
Ooh, nice. We have needed a Center with a nasty streak for a while. He sounds good and McNally can work on the footwork and whatever else that he is raw on. :up:

Marvelous
04-24-2005, 12:19 PM

That magazine is just a oppinion man. It's the same draft mag i'm using. TD doesn't rank players by the mag. He uses his own scouts.
- I like teh fact that he's been injury free.
Good pick :)

justasportsfan
04-24-2005, 12:25 PM
To the doubters...

Don't you guys think that McNally scouted this pick and ranked him higher than Brown? I mean McNally is proven. He turned an average Ol into one that was responsible for the Giants playing in the sb. Turned Ziegler and Teague into decent centers.

Michael82
04-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Oh, he's a long snapper too? i've always hated that we had to waste a roster spot on a LS. This would be a good pickup if he's a long snapper too. :up:

Mahdi
04-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Oh, he's a long snapper too? i've always hated that we had to waste a roster spot on a LS. This would be a good pickup if he's a long snapper too. :up:
According to the draft audio on BB.com he is not a long snapper...he only did it a couple of times in college.

ryjam282
04-24-2005, 12:34 PM
What do you guys think is our next pick? Hawthrone is still out there, so is Wilkerson...HMMMM!!!!Maybe Wilkerson for C and Preston for our G?

The_Philster
04-24-2005, 01:48 PM
That'll be a big plus

I think he'll challenge Teague to start at C, he's got amazing size something I really like about him.What leads you to believe Teague is even a candidate for C anymore after we failed to do anything about the LT position?

Michael82
04-24-2005, 01:50 PM
That'll be a big plus
What leads you to believe Teague is even a candidate for C anymore after we failed to do anything about the LT position?
Gandy is our starter at LT currently. :up: :ill:

HurryUpTom
04-24-2005, 01:57 PM
I hope this means that Tucker stays on the bench ... I don't like him as a starter at all.

The_Philster
04-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Gandy is our starter at LT currently. :up: :ill:

They had talked about putting Teague over at LT, I thought :scratch:

Michael82
04-24-2005, 02:09 PM
They had talked about putting Teague over at LT, I thought :scratch:
No, they said that McNally likes Mike Gandy and has him starting at LT for now. But there's a possibility that Teague could be shifted to LT.

DraftBoy
04-24-2005, 02:12 PM
What leads you to believe Teague is even a candidate for C anymore after we failed to do anything about the LT position?

Well he's the incumbent starter and it was just kinda common sense to me, until I see a new depth chart saying Teague is no longer our starting center i continue to believe he is our starting center, do you have such a depth chart?