PDA

View Full Version : MouldsOrClementsB`Gone?

juice
04-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Who should the Bills make as a top priority to retain as a Bill next year when it comes time to Pay the Big Bucks to Nate in a FA year or Eric in a lucrative contract payout year.

In the last 3 out of four drafts the Bills have chosen a WR with a top pick(Reed/Evans/Parrish) - with the huge #s that the EMo contract will command next year it looks as if the Bills Brass are positioning themselves to force Moulds to take a pay cut next season or BeGone. EMo has said in the past that he would like to playout his career as a lifetime Bill but there is only so much of a PayCut that he can be expected to except.

Nate Clements in a FA season is expected to continue to progress and will probably look to be paid like the Top 3 shutdown Corner that he has proven to be throughout his career in Buffalo. Nate hasn't expressed that he would be willing to except anything but a big payday to remain with the Bills nor should he be expected to because he will be a hot commodity and the top FA Corner available at seasons end.

Assuming that the Moulds recovers from his case of the Dropsies that he suffered through this year and returns to his former self with an 80+Rec/1200yd recieving year - and Nate has his usual 80+Tackle/5INT type season/Mr. consistant ShutDown corner he's been since his rookie year.. Who will the Bills choose as the true Franchise player.

A tough choice will have to be made because there is only so much cap space available and I dont see keeping both of these BigMoney guys around next year.. Who should the Bills choose and who can we least afford to Lose? :blowup:

The_Philster
04-24-2005, 06:19 PM
A lot depends on what happens in 2005...If Parrish works out, Moulds is likely gone

ddaryl
04-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Next years salary cap will take a nice jump, and I do bleieve we will be in good shape next year cap wise even before the cap increase.

Moulds will restrucutre again IMO. However one of these days he is going to have to take a paycut in later years.

NC can be franchised and signed or traded.

Mr. Cynical
04-24-2005, 06:25 PM
A lot depends on what happens in 2005...If Parrish works out, Moulds is likely gone I dunno...Parrish is a small quick slot guy and we really need *someone* at WR over 6' and 190 lbs for jump balls and physicality. Even if Parrish works out, I think we'll get yet another WR (FA or draft) to replace Moulds imo.

djjimkelly
04-24-2005, 06:27 PM
ill bet u my truck both are still here my god we should have traded both for 7th round picks hell wait someone can sign a street FA now draft is over and trade them to us for both a nice 2 for 1 deal

mysticsoto
04-24-2005, 06:30 PM
A lot depends on what happens in 2005...If Parrish works out, Moulds is likely gone
What the...?

You think Parrish will be able to supplant Moulds???

C'mon, how many drinks did you have during the drafting??? :D

Parrish will be a starting slot receiver at best. Unless Aikens develops, or we get someone good in the undrafted realm, Mould will be our top receiver next year also.

Which does beg the question about keeping Moulds or Clements. If we can't do both, then TD and the Bills FO messed up in not thinking ahead and drafting according to positions we could lose. I think a CB/WR should have been our 1st draft, but our WR choice is too small to ever be able to develop intou our #1 WR. Personally, I would have taken Justin Miller as a possible replacement to NC. Then in the 3rd, I would have taken Jason Brown and in the 4th, maybe Fred Gibson or Larry Brackins.

Mr. Cynical
04-24-2005, 06:34 PM
I think a CB/WR should have been our 1st draft, but our WR choice is too small to ever be able to develop intou our #1 WR. Personally, I would have taken Justin Miller as a possible replacement to NC. What...you don't think King can replace Nate? I heard that the NFL is going to allow stepladders onto the field next year so he'll be just fine. :;

The_Philster
04-24-2005, 06:40 PM
What the...?

You think Parrish will be able to supplant Moulds???

C'mon, how many drinks did you have during the drafting??? :DNone actually...only had a couple of beers after the Bandits lost to the Knighthawks...I honestly don't proclaim myself a great draft expert but one has to think that to use the 2nd rd pick on a WR means someone is getting replaced...Aiken is already on his way to completely replacing Reed. Besides, it's not like Parrish will be expected to be the top WR...that would be Evans. Personally, I don't like the idea of losing Moulds OR Nate but I don't make the decisions. :idunno:

ddaryl
04-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Parrish nor Evans is a viable replacement for Moulds IMO.

Moulds is big strong and powerful. Evans and Moulds compliments each other. Parrish helps us stretch the field some.

I have to say we find away to keep Eric for yet another season in 2006, with the cap increase next year I do believe we will let him play and re-evaluate him in the final year of his deal in 2007

Bowe3219
04-24-2005, 08:11 PM
I think moulds and clements will stay a bill. Moulds will want to finish his career here and restructure and clements will be franchised (if he does not resign) since we will have more cap space next year.

juice
04-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Parrish nor Evans is a viable replacement for Moulds IMO.

Moulds is big strong and powerful. Evans and Moulds compliments each other. Parrish helps us stretch the field some.

I have to say we find away to keep Eric for yet another season in 2006, with the cap increase next year I do believe we will let him play and re-evaluate him in the final year of his deal in 2007You are gonna have to let Nate Clements go if your gonna keep EMo and you'd have to ask yourself which player is a bigger factor in the success of the team, Moulds on offense or Nate on Defense - with the players picked in the last 4 drafts I'd have to say that the team is in a better position to replace EM's 70 rec and 1000 yds at 30 yrs old than NC's 90+ tackles & 5 INTs at the age of 26.

With Nate you can expect a Pro Bowl calliber lock down Corner for 5 more years whereas with EM he may be on the down side of a Pro Bowl career with huge cap #'s for the rest of his days in Buffalo.. How many times do you think he will be trying to rework his contract and how effective will he be in your offense for the Buck you'll have to spend and the talent you'd give up in Nate in his prime?

Lockdown Corners aren't a Dime-a-Dozen but you can find an Evans type reciever in just about any draft if your willing to pay the price or pick to draft him.. It's not like EMo has had a HoF type career in B-Lo.

Crisis
04-24-2005, 08:26 PM
If it comes between Nate and Eric I'll have to give the nod to Nate.

I love E-Mo for all the stuff he's done here, but he's getting up there and we can't continue to hold on to him as hes aging, especially with his salary increasing.

Nate is just entering his prime.

wchutalkinboutwillis
04-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Moulds is still an elite receiver with all the right tools: Strength, size, decent speed, good hands, unselfish, etc. However, if the Bills don't make the playoffs this year, he will be looking to make a move. Time is running out and EMO will want to finish up with a team that can virutally guarantee a playoff berth.
I doubt Clements will be franchised. It just doesn't seem to be in TD's nature. As evidenced by this years draft, ego prevails over logic. TD feels he'll be able to replace Nate with a better player at a better price. Watch Snyder the moron sign him at 9mm per year.

jpdex12
04-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Who should the Bills make as a top priority to retain as a Bill next year when it comes time to Pay the Big Bucks to Nate in a FA year or Eric in a lucrative contract payout year.

In the last 3 out of four drafts the Bills have chosen a WR with a top pick(Reed/Evans/Parrish) - with the huge #s that the EMo contract will command next year it looks as if the Bills Brass are positioning themselves to force Moulds to take a pay cut next season or BeGone. EMo has said in the past that he would like to playout his career as a lifetime Bill but there is only so much of a PayCut that he can be expected to except.

Nate Clements in a FA season is expected to continue to progress and will probably look to be paid like the Top 3 shutdown Corner that he has proven to be throughout his career in Buffalo. Nate hasn't expressed that he would be willing to except anything but a big payday to remain with the Bills nor should he be expected to because he will be a hot commodity and the top FA Corner available at seasons end.

Assuming that the Moulds recovers from his case of the Dropsies that he suffered through this year and returns to his former self with an 80+Rec/1200yd recieving year - and Nate has his usual 80+Tackle/5INT type season/Mr. consistant ShutDown corner he's been since his rookie year.. Who will the Bills choose as the true Franchise player.

A tough choice will have to be made because there is only so much cap space available and I dont see keeping both of these BigMoney guys around next year.. Who should the Bills choose and who can we least afford to Lose? :blowup:

Maybe we can get Clump to chime in on this one. How much will EMo hit us with next year and do you have any idea of what our cap space should look like next year?

Bert102176
04-25-2005, 04:11 AM
I wouldn't be counting Moulds out just yet people he is still a very good WR

mysticsoto
04-25-2005, 08:33 AM
You are gonna have to let Nate Clements go if your gonna keep EMo and you'd have to ask yourself which player is a bigger factor in the success of the team, Moulds on offense or Nate on Defense - with the players picked in the last 4 drafts I'd have to say that the team is in a better position to replace EM's 70 rec and 1000 yds at 30 yrs old than NC's 90+ tackles & 5 INTs at the age of 26.

With Nate you can expect a Pro Bowl calliber lock down Corner for 5 more years whereas with EM he may be on the down side of a Pro Bowl career with huge cap #'s for the rest of his days in Buffalo.. How many times do you think he will be trying to rework his contract and how effective will he be in your offense for the Buck you'll have to spend and the talent you'd give up in Nate in his prime?

Lockdown Corners aren't a Dime-a-Dozen but you can find an Evans type reciever in just about any draft if your willing to pay the price or pick to draft him.. It's not like EMo has had a HoF type career in B-Lo.
Well, I hope we don't have to get rid of either. But if we do, you are right, we have to keep NC. Moulds is also much older. That is why I was hoping to draft a WR that could supplant him in the future. I would have liked Vincent Jackson or even Larry Brackins. Instead, we got a lifetime 3rd/slot WR. They said they were going to draft for depth, but I feel like that's not the way to draft. You draft for people that you think could one day start. I feel like they drafted for people that were "good" but not necessarily have the potential to be great and take over.

I'm not entirely pessimistic of the draft, but I thought there were better choices that could have been made looking in the long run. With Nate possibly leaving, we should have chose Justin Miller. Even if we keep Nate, CBs are always in demand. If they wanted speed at WR, Jerome Mathis was available much later and is just as fast (and taller) than Parrish (if not as fluid). Knowing also that Moulds' contract is up soon, a replacement should have been a thought.

But I have to question how the scouts on our team are valuing some of these players...if most turn out to be duds, I think our scouts should be fired!