X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

OL and DL

Right now LT has to be the most unsettling part of this team. No one other than Dylan McFarland has more than a year under McNally's system working on that position. All teams make pleasant surprises have someone step up in a perceived weak area. For the Bills, Losman's performance will have the biggest impact, of course. But the LT's performance, be it Peters, Teague, Gandy, McFarland, could go a long way in helping McGahee and Losman. I don't see Sheldon ever coming to buffalo as reportedly McNally does not like him.

I'm quite happy that the team finally looks into the interior offensive line area. They signed Anderson and drafted two more. To play smash mouth football and to deal with the 3-4 defenses that have eaten the Bills live the last several years, you need strong interior linemen. Hopefully they pan out, the sooner the better.

On the DL area, the Bills did not add new blood. I am not concerned about the loss of Pat because by my account, teams were starting to run on us right in the middle from the second Miami game last year (the Bengles, the Steelers all had similar success). Something needs to be done. Edwards and Anderson are going to take over the spot Pat vacated. So we'll see if we can improve in that area. I do see this as a priority area next year.
  • ryjam282
    Offical Billszone Starting QB
    • Mar 2003

I think Teague will be our LT next season, unless Peters just blows them away in camp. I like the beef they added in the middle of the line. Center and LG will be over 300 pounds and I am sure they will be able to move the pile. I like what we did.

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• mysticsoto
      Too sober for this...
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
      Right now LT has to be the most unsettling part of this team. No one other than Dylan McFarland has more than a year under McNally's system working on that position. All teams make pleasant surprises have someone step up in a perceived weak area. For the Bills, Losman's performance will have the biggest impact, of course. But the LT's performance, be it Peters, Teague, Gandy, McFarland, could go a long way in helping McGahee and Losman. I don't see Sheldon ever coming to buffalo as reportedly McNally does not like him.

I'm quite happy that the team finally looks into the interior offensive line area. They signed Anderson and drafted two more. To play smash mouth football and to deal with the 3-4 defenses that have eaten the Bills live the last several years, you need strong interior linemen. Hopefully they pan out, the sooner the better.

On the DL area, the Bills did not add new blood. I am not concerned about the loss of Pat because by my account, teams were starting to run on us right in the middle from the second Miami game last year (the Bengles, the Steelers all had similar success). Something needs to be done. Edwards and Anderson are going to take over the spot Pat vacated. So we'll see if we can improve in that area. I do see this as a priority area next year.
      I think Sape will be available also on the DL line. Apparently they like his progress/development.

I think it would be great if Peters could blow everyone away at LT. Realisitically, I think TT might be starting and Peters might take over next year.

Next year we may need to concentrate on a possible replacement for NC (if we can't keep him) or a possible replacement for Moulds. We should begin thinking about these guys as they get older and who might replace them. Fletcher is also one to consider...

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

I don't at this stage if they are willing to change center. They may have drafted a more fitting center, but I don't think it is reasonable for him to start as a rookie.

Comment

• mysticsoto
          Too sober for this...
          • Apr 2004

I don't at this stage if they are willing to change center. They may have drafted a more fitting center, but I don't think it is reasonable for him to start as a rookie.
          Tucker may need to start if TT is forced to take the LT position...

Comment

• mysticsoto
            Too sober for this...
            • Apr 2004

Tucker may need to start if TT is forced to take the LT position...although...isn't one of the reasons they grabbed Preston b'cse he was really smart (4.0 avg) and played on a offense similar to ours? I thought I read that somewhere. If that is so, maybe a big reason to take him was that he might be able to come up to speed quickly in training camp and the preseason games and be able to start by the time the season comes around to the 1st game...

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
              WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
              • Mar 2003

Tucker at Center and TT at LT = the weakest line in the NFL.

You'll have to excuse me if I don't think a 6th Rd guard is addressing the needs of the line. Has that former 6th rd pick Ben "Mr Softy" Sobieski panned out yet?

The Oline will be dominated again by the top Defs this season.
              Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                • Aug 2004

Sobieski was drafted under the previous regime. Unless you are a talented guy (those with all the physical talents that can be molded into any schemes), you are at a dead end when those drafted you are replaced by someone who has a different criteria. Unfortunately McNally is one who has that reputation of liking specific traits in a lineman.

From what I read in both B News and DandC today, they are talking about Preston being the prototype Center McNally wants: thick in the lower part of the body (too bad for his future daughter who will be thick from waist down), strong and long arms, adequate lateral movements. A defensive tackle will have a hard time to move him from his stand. True, he may not fare well against a gap shooter like Adams, but there are only so many Adams type of tackles who is so big yet so quick on his feet. The most important part is that against a 3-4 nose tackle who lines directly across, Preston is an ideal type of center. He does not need to be the all world type who can overpower those nose tackles. He just needs to be able to stand his ground, and hold his fort in the immediate area when the nose tackle tries any lateral movement.

Trey Teague has to reset his feet (and he has quick feet to do so) to regain balance against such a nose tackle. Inevitably he loses ground in the process. That's why we need double team those nose tackles. What a difference it will make if Preston eveutally can hold off those guys one on one without losing ground ... If he can gain some mobility to take his blocking to one more notch, i.e. pushes off some nose tackles or goes to second level against a 4-3 defense and engages some middle linebackers, then we are talking about an all pro here.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                  Too sober for this...
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger

You'll have to excuse me if I don't think a 6th Rd guard is addressing the needs of the line. Has that former 6th rd pick Ben "Mr Softy" Sobieski panned out yet?

Oh, I don't know. Although I didn't like the Preston pick, McNally clearly had a say in getting him. I personally would have preferred Jason Brown (although Incognito was my pick after Spencer) but clearly, they had this guy pegged from the start. He apparently has what they are looking for and is very smart also, so I'll give McNally the benefit of the doubt.

On top of that, I sincerely doubt that McNally and TD have done any worse in the line than last year. They've placed focus on it, and McNally has no doubt given the specifications to TD about the type of people he wants. With this, they have gotten Anderson for LG and are apparently very high on Gandy for LT. At Center, JP was quoted as saying that he hopes TT remains at Center b'cse they were developing chemistry and good communication. Preston will eventually take over when he's ready, but for this season, it'll probably remain TT. And we're still hoping that Jason Peters is progressing in development.

So I don't expect our O-line to be any worse than last year, and probably better. Anderson will probably be a much better LG than Smith or Tucker was, and MW will hopefully have his problems behind him this year. That's 3 positions that are solid (including CV at RG) - which is more than we could say last year. TT is adequate at Center with a potential prospect to take over, and Gandy is being lauded by the Bills FO again with a potential prospect to take over.

Yes, this line in untried so far, but that's what training camp and the preseason is for. I'm willing to give them a chance and see what they can do before I criticize them.

Comment

• jeffhcb
                    • Oct 2004

You are correct. Tucker is a backup at best. He will be blown up by guys like Wilfork and Seymour. And TT at Left T makes no improvement there.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                      Maybe?
                      • Oct 2003

As of right now, I agree.

Comment

• buffmaniac
                        • May 2003

Right now I think Gandy is the leading candidate for LT spot.

Hopefully with McNally's coaching and Mularkey's scheming the Bills can find a way to make things work with lesser known guys on the OL

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                          Maybe?
                          • Oct 2003

I also think MW should prove he can play LT or get traded next year. We can't afford a $9M RT.

Comment

• jeffhcb
                            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by buffmaniac
                            Right now I think Gandy is the leading candidate for LT spot.

Hopefully with McNally's coaching and Mularkey's scheming the Bills can find a way to make things work with lesser known guys on the OL
                            You're kidding yourself. They'll be adequate. But adequate lines only win superbowls in TD's fantasy world.

Comment

• ddaryl
                              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jeffhcb
                              You're kidding yourself. They'll be adequate. But adequate lines only win superbowls in TD's fantasy world.
                              Disagree.

Mike Williams is solid RT and came on strong at the end of last year. If he doesn't miss camp this year he will pick up were he left off.

Villarial at RG is also rock solid

C can go in many different direction. Teague has done well their, Tucker did well at C when he was called upon and we drafted Preston who was very solid in College.

LG has been upgraded with Anderson, Gandy and Geisinger. Geisinger was a great pick especially in the 6th rd.

LT is our question mark. Teague has experience and a few years working with McNally. IMO he won't do any worse then Jennings. We still have Peters, McFarland, Gandy and Gudmundsen all have worked with McNally and all rwill be given a shot to wqin the LT spot.

Our depth this year is much better then last. Ouor only questionmark is LT but with Teague or Gandy able to play LT I don't see our OL being worse then last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍