PDA

View Full Version : AFC-E Most Explosive RB

juice
04-25-2005, 10:27 AM
With each team in the AFC-E possessing a potential 1000 yd back in it's backfield which team will have the most success rushing the ball this season.

MIA ~ Ronnie Brown will be the New Kid on the Block and the only Rookie Back starting in the East can Saban put together a running attack that will allow for him to Flourish in the Phins Offensive Schemes? He may be at a disadvantage with a limited passing attack and his lack of experience on League level but in the past the Dolphins have relied heavily on their running attack.. can Ronnie B handle running the rock 25-30X/game and remain healthy? Brown will have to prove he can handle the load behind a suspect line in MIA and some question if he is built to take the punishment.

NY ~ Curtis Martin ended up winning the rushing Title last season by the slimmest of margins over S. Alexander last season and is the Elder statesman of the Eastern Conference Backs he seems to get better with age almost like a Fine Wine but wont have L. Jordan to relieve him this season when he needs to catch wind. Can C-Mart handle the full load at his age or will Father Time catch up with the veteran. 20-25 carries/gm might be all that can be expected from last years rushing leader. Penny will have to take some of the pressure off with the passing game that looks to be improved for the Old Man to make it to the Playoff FinishLine.

NE ~ Corey Dillon was a workhorse last year and was all the the club expected him to be when the ripped him from the Cinci graveyard where he seemed destined to grow old and die as the Bungles only offensive brightspot. With Brady as his field General Dillon will have to continue to carry the load if the Pats are going to remain as the elite squad in the East as well as the League after the loss of their offensive genius OC Weis to ND but Dillon after being freed from the Cinci Graveyard will look to be up to the challenge. Corey D lives to carry the rock 25x/Gm. When it comes down to crunch time Brady can take it to the air to give the unit a change of pace when teams stack the middle.

BUF ~ Willis MaGahee took over the starting job from Travis Henry and the team never looked back as he led the sqad to an improbable run at the Playoffs last year after an 0-4 start. While being a starter for only part of the season Willis ended up with over 1100 yards last year and proved that he was on a different level than T. Hen who he left as a distant memory as a starter with the Bills. While some question whether Willis can be the dominator he was last year for an entire season without missing time to injury Willis showed that he is up to the challenge of being the featured back in a run oriented offense.. Willis will have to prove himself again this year with an unproven JP Losman handing off to him. Willis will have tobe a 25-30 carry/Gm back at least until JPL gets his Game Legs under him.

Which Back will prove to be the Most Explosive in the East?

:blowup:

TedMock
04-25-2005, 10:41 AM
You can't go wrong with Martin or Dillon. Both are workhorse backs, although I think Dillon can break one a little more. I can see Ronnie Brown turning into the same type of back. As far as "MOST EXPLOSIVE" you have to go with McGahee. He may not end up with the most yards, or even the most consistency, but with his 230 pound body running less than a 4.4 forty, he's the most explosive back.

Sportsuser101
04-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Ronnie Brown came into the wrong division thats for sure.

Pride
04-25-2005, 10:51 AM
All I know is the AFC East is the best running division in football!

mysticsoto
04-25-2005, 11:12 AM
I may be biased, but I think McGahee will be the best of the AFC East. Brown will need time to get acquainted with his new team. Miami didn't do much with its O-line however, and he may struggle a bit. He should do okay, but I wouldn't expect extraordinary. Curtis Martin will probably have a decent season, but as he gets older, I'm sure his stats will begin to degrade little by little. Corey Dillon will also do okay, but Brady moves it around alot and he's just a part of everything that they do.

I choose McGahee b'cse our whole offense has changed to revolve around him. JP will probably not be asked to do extraordinary things and the load will mostly fall on WM. If the line can do well (and we do have alot of BIG people - except for the up in the air LT), we should be able to open more holes for him in this season than last. Add that to the fact that he should be more recuperated from his injuries now, and if he can gain back that explosive speed he had, he will be one bad a$$ RB!

ryven
04-25-2005, 11:17 AM
I almost feel bad for brown I mean he has to face three of the best D's in the league twice a year each

BAM
04-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Dillon.

juice
04-25-2005, 11:19 AM
All I know is the AFC East is the best running division in football!Strongly agree with you on that Pride.. I'd have to say that there's a good chance that the rushing champion comes outta the East again this year.

The games in the East are going to be A-1 because of the running matchups, and if the Bills can put together a working line to protect Losman I can see the Pats, Jets and Bills going head up for the Conference Title. Mia might still be a work in progress but I could see them getting to .500 this year if Saban knows what he's doing.

Spielmanrules54
04-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Ya gotta go with Mcgahee.... the kid just has a knack for making stuff happen... if he didn't blow his knee out in college he would've been a top five pick that year

Jan Reimers
04-25-2005, 11:26 AM
If McGahee regains the speed he had before the knee injury - and he should be working on that, now that it is healed - he will be the man. He already has the rest of the package. He just seemed to lack that real burst last year.

BAM
04-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Ya gotta go with Mcgahee.... the kid just has a knack for making stuff happen... if he didn't blow his knee out in college he would've been a top five pick that year

McGahee hurt his knee?

ddaryl
04-25-2005, 11:40 AM
With each team in the AFC-E possessing a potential 1000 yd back in it's backfield which team will have the most success rushing the ball this season.

I think the AFC east is full of RB's who are potentially 1500yd backs.

justasportsfan
04-25-2005, 12:23 PM
JP Losman

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2005, 12:28 PM
If WM is truly faster than he was last year (which he says he is), combined with his power and moves there is no question he will be the best back in the AFCE imo.

The Spaz
04-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Explosiveness it has to be Willis!

juice
04-25-2005, 01:42 PM
I think the AFC east is full of RB's who are potentially 1500yd backs.McGahee and Dillon might be in the 1500 yd club but I think C-Mart might may begin to show his age 1100-1200 yds and the Rookie down in MIA might be able to eclipse 1000 yds in his 1st year.

If Dillon rushes for over 1500 yards then I fear that means the Pats win the Division again this year because Brady is gonna manage that Pats Offense with his standard 90+ QB rating.

Bill Brasky
04-25-2005, 03:41 PM
All I know is the AFC East is the best running division in football!

Which is odd considering every team has a pretty decent defense.

juice
06-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Illis at 100% will strike fear into the divisional rivals.. Zack, Vilma, Rosie Colvin, Willis is gonna break your ankles on cutbacks against the grain and turn you into roadKill on dive plays.

I wonder if Sticky Ricky will cut into R. Browns' total yards.. in order to get Rickys' trade value up to be delt after the 2005-'06 season Saban is gonna have to get him some touches. If Rick can pass the piss tests. :pee:

Bert102176
06-08-2005, 11:07 PM
juice that is if Ricky even comes back

hudella
06-09-2005, 12:49 AM
just wondering how anyone knows Willis runs a sub- 4.4 40? i'm sure he is fast but i havent seen any reports of his 40 time scince his injury. just wondering if the under 4.4 40 is a fact.

mayotm
06-09-2005, 07:11 AM
If McGahee regains the speed he had before the knee injury - and he should be working on that, now that it is healed - he will be the man. He already has the rest of the package. He just seemed to lack that real burst last year.

I agree that he lacked his real burst for most of last year. However, we did start seeing glimpses of it towards the end of the season. If he gets his true burst back, he will be absolutely scary.

juice
06-09-2005, 07:13 AM
juice that is if Ricky even comes backAll indications out of MIA point towards his return for TC, he has to wait until after July to make it official in order to avoid a penalty of a 1 year suspension.. unless you've heard something to the contrary Bert?

just wondering how anyone knows Willis runs a sub- 4.4 40? i'm sure he is fast but i havent seen any reports of his 40 time scince his injury. just wondering if the under 4.4 40 is a fact.Looking at the way he was able to beat most LBers to the corner last season and actually pull away from DBs once he got into the secondary I would almost bet that he was around a 4.4 last season.. If you check out the tapes of when he Broke Free you don't see anyone making up any ground on him and from the angles that were taken by DBs they realize he's fast as hell.

Willis is a big guy at over 6' 230 lbs so his strides aren't going to look like a 5'10 scatback's when he's accelerating to top speed, with another off-season of weight training and rehabilitation Illis will improve his quickness, strength, and top end speed - this guy will be hell for Lbers to even get their hands on much less for DBs to run down and bring down when many in the League are 5'10 185 lbs.

Look for alot of little DBs to be taken for a ride this season - Willis will look alot more like Jamal Lewis this year when he breaks into the secondary.

At 100% I say Willis will be a 4.35 guy this year.. Breaking Anckles of LBers and trolling over DBs.

TigerJ
06-09-2005, 08:36 AM
Curtis Martin will hit the wall at some point. I'm amazed he hasn't yet, but all backs do eventually, and usually a lot quicker than say an offensive lineman or a kicker. I have to give him credit though. He's beaten the odds so far.

FinNasty23
06-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Ronnie Brown has as much potential as Willis does to become one of the top RBs in the league and I look forward to both of them battling for many years and becoming rivals, but until Ronnie proves what he can do and until Willis proves he can stay healthy, I am gunna have to go with Dillon as the BEST back in the AFCE... Now if we are talkin about the most EXPLOSIVE back... I would have to go with either Brown or Willis (Both HUGE and FAST!)

Nasty

sdbillsfan2
06-09-2005, 08:59 AM
Hands down........Go with Willis !!!!!! If he doesn't best you with his size and speed ,he's gonna lay one of the nasiest straight-arms arm on your your face! I look for him to also show show an improvement in the pass recieving dept..

treydawg
06-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Ronnie Brown was a college backup and hasn't played a down in the NFL. Give me a break homer.

Pride
06-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Welcome to the Zone Trey! Way to put the smack down on those finfans!

kbeath
06-09-2005, 09:11 AM
All these homers. The reasons you all give allows me to say Ronnie B he is going to getting just as familier with his line as is WM. Ronnie is the same size as WM and just as fast maybe WM gets him in quickness but Ronnie is stronger. I believe it will hurt WM not to have a strong 3rd down back and that will also hurt Martin this year. Dillion does his job but his huge season is never going to happen again he is past his prime. Dont get it twisted they are all going to be great but this year I think the advantage goes to Ronnie. This year teams also wont be sleepin on WM they are going to study him.

Pride
06-09-2005, 09:22 AM
I have no clue why you phin fans think that a guy who has never played a down in the NFL is already better than 2 pro bowlers and a guy who ran for 1100 in 12 games last year! Lets see how he does in preseason before we annoint him to the hall of fame.

There have been plenty of RB busts over the years!

Rashaan Salaam
Curtis Enis
Antowain Smith
Adrian Peterson
Tim Biakabutuka

Bulldog
06-09-2005, 09:33 AM
I have no clue why you phin fans think that a guy who has never played a down in the NFL is already better than 2 pro bowlers and a guy who ran for 1100 in 12 games last year! Lets see how he does in preseason before we annoint him to the hall of fame.

There have been plenty of RB busts over the years!

Rashaan Salaam
Curtis Enis
Antowain Smith
Adrian Peterson
Tim Biakabutuka

Adding to the list ....

Ki-Jana Carter
Anthony Thomas
Blair Thomas
William Green

But the Dolphins fans are right, a guy who split time in college with another top 10 selection in the draft and hasn't even taken a snap in the NFL has to be the favorite to be the most explosive. Never mind what the other backs in the AFC East have accomplished, R. Brown is going to be the cream of the crop in his rookie year. Do they even realize how crazy that sounds. My vote will go for Dillon. He's a perfect fit for the the Pats offense.

kbeath
06-09-2005, 09:39 AM
WHO SAID BETTER? I said he will have a better season. There is a difference. Say what you want Martin is DONE without Lamont Jordan. Dillion is good but there Offense is a big question mark without chow. There Defense will be alright but i think there O will strugggle. WM played lights out last year but How will he do now that they have game tapes on him? If he does play lights out this year he maybe the Best RB in the NFL but thats an If. His line is also in shambles and they dont look like they have done anything positive as far as thats concerned.

kbeath
06-09-2005, 09:40 AM
OH and you know how the pats O is going to run. A PERFECT FIT IN A SYSTEM THATS NEVER BEEN RAN. AMAZING!!!

EDS
06-09-2005, 09:40 AM
I don't think the fins fans are off-base in calling Ronnie Brown potentially the most explosive back in the AFC east. He has blazing speed and great size and no injury history like McGahee.

I think Mr. Cynical hit the nail on the head - Willis can be considered the most explosive only if he demonstrates that he has regained his pre-injury speed and explosion. Until then, he is more of a Ricky Williams power back.

I love Willis, don't get me wrong, I just think we need to be realistic.

Bulldog
06-09-2005, 09:53 AM
WHO SAID BETTER? I said he will have a better season. There is a difference. Say what you want Martin is DONE without Lamont Jordan. Dillion is good but there Offense is a big question mark without chow. There Defense will be alright but i think there O will strugggle. WM played lights out last year but How will he do now that they have game tapes on him? If he does play lights out this year he maybe the Best RB in the NFL but thats an If. His line is also in shambles and they dont look like they have done anything positive as far as thats concerned.

They can watch all the tape they want. What the hell does watching tape of a RB who can either run you over or turn the corner and run around you provide any type of advantage. Are they going to watch the tape and say man, he sure is fast. Or man, he has a devastating stiff arm. And leave it to a Dolphins fan to say the Bills O-line is in shambles. The Bills lost one starter, Jennings, to FA and now all of the sudden the line is in shables. I agree, Buffalo won't have the best line in the league, but they can be average. Say what you want, but Miami's line is in far worse shape than the Bills on a bad day. Chow wasn't the OC in NE last year, it was Weis. Dillon did fine last year in the Pats offense, and I don't expect things to change too much even with the loss of Weis.

FinNasty23
06-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Ronnie Brown was a college backup and hasn't played a down in the NFL. Give me a break homer.I said Ronnie had POTENTIAL... Not that he was the best (I said Dillon) and that we would have to wait and see what he does in the NFL. I said the Brown and WM are potentially the most explosive mainly because of their youth, speed and size... I dont think like a homer...

Nasty

feelthepain
06-09-2005, 11:56 AM

The same reason you think PJ is a better QB then AJ and Gus!!!

Bulldog
06-09-2005, 12:21 PM
The same reason you think PJ is a better QB then AJ and Gus!!!

JA's a thrid stringer and Gus is nothing more than a journyman. Isn't that the same Gus who head butted the wall and injured himself? He must be a real smart one. feelthestain is just pissed because Buffalo has two QB's that are more capable than any one they have on Miami's roster. Sucks to be you, homer!

ParanoidAndroid
06-09-2005, 12:41 PM
All these homers. The reasons you all give allows me to say Ronnie B he is going to getting just as familier with his line as is WM. Ronnie is the same size as WM and just as fast maybe WM gets him in quickness but Ronnie is stronger. I believe it will hurt WM not to have a strong 3rd down back and that will also hurt Martin this year. Dillion does his job but his huge season is never going to happen again he is past his prime. Dont get it twisted they are all going to be great but this year I think the advantage goes to Ronnie. This year teams also wont be sleepin on WM they are going to study him.
All the studying in the world isn't going to stop a talented running back from making plays.
The things McGahee accomplished in Miami make Ronnie Brown look like a back-up. In terms of raw talent, I think McGahee has it all over Brown.
If you want to talk about skill and reliability, then Martin and Dillon are tops in that order.
In no category does Brown top the list except youth and inexperience.
If McGahee's durability is in question, then consider this. He carried the ball 23 times per game during his 11 starts. No one in the NFL averaged more over 16 games except Martin and that is by about .25 per game. Could he have done it over 16 games? Who knows, but sometimes he looked better at the end of games. Especially the end of the Miami game when everyone knew he was going to get he ball and he still broke a 30 yarder. That was his 23rd carry of the game. He had 37 carries in the win over the Jets! I would say he's up to it.
Ronnie Brown has some playing to do before he can be considered anything but a question mark in the NFL.

feelthepain
06-09-2005, 12:45 PM
JA's a thrid stringer and Gus is nothing more than a journyman. Isn't that the same Gus who head butted the wall and injured himself? He must be a real smart one. feelthestain is just pissed because Buffalo has two QB's that are more capable than any one they have on Miami's roster. Sucks to be you, homer!

Homer,homer,homer......keep dreaming piss boy!!! AJ is not a third stringer he has actually played well in this league has PJ??? No!!! Gus is a probowler is PJ???? No!!! And who is your weak backup???? Holcomb???? 8 years in the league and couldn't keep the starting job against an aging Jeff Garcia!!! Yeah he's a threat.

ParanoidAndroid
06-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Homer,homer,homer......keep dreaming piss boy!!! AJ is not a third stringer he has actually played well in this league has PJ??? No!!! Gus is a probowler is PJ???? No!!! And who is your weak backup???? Holcomb???? 8 years in the league and couldn't keep the starting job against an aging Jeff Garcia!!! Yeah he's a threat.

Bwaaahahahahahaha! :roflmao:

madness
06-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Hands down........Go with Willis !!!!!! If he doesn't best you with his size and speed ,he's gonna lay one of the nasiest straight-arms arm on your your face! I look for him to also show show an improvement in the pass recieving dept..
Preach on sdbillsfan2! Somebody needs to make a Willis stiff arm smiley.

Bulldog
06-09-2005, 01:53 PM

Yeah, JA looked great throwing the ball to the wrong team last season. How many of his picks went for TD's again? And how long ago was it that Gus was a probowler? Marino was a probowler at one point, maybe Miami could convince him to come out of retirement. Oh, wait, they already tried to bring him back and he quit on them just like Ricky did. Furthermore, Holcomb has more talent in his left pinky than either JA or Gus could dream of. Hell, JA couldn't even beat out Ty freakin Detmer for the back-up job in Philly. Good luck with the 3rd stringer and Gus. Man, thats a nasty duo. NOT!

Crisis
06-09-2005, 02:09 PM
The thing Gus is best known for is driving his head into a wall.

'Nuff said.

treydawg
06-09-2005, 02:58 PM
What kind of moron head butts a wall. :lol:

WOWOWOWOW!

juice
06-09-2005, 03:48 PM
What kind of moron head butts a wall. :lol:

WOWOWOWOW!:laughing:

Dantheman1280
06-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Mcgahee has all the potential in the World, but right now its Dillion.

juice
06-10-2005, 09:04 AM
I don't think the fins fans are off-base in calling Ronnie Brown potentially the most explosive back in the AFC east. He has blazing speed and great size and no injury history like McGahee.

I think Mr. Cynical hit the nail on the head - Willis can be considered the most explosive only if he demonstrates that he has regained his pre-injury speed and explosion. Until then, he is more of a Ricky Williams power back.

I love Willis, don't get me wrong, I just think we need to be realistic.Reality is that Willis had the speed to consistently turn the corner last year and the quickness to break LBers ankles leaving them standing frozen and confused.. you don't call that speed?

Illis looked to have plenty of Breakaway speed to me last season.. how many times was he caught from behind by DB's who are the fastest and best athletes on the field.

He's a big bruising back, he's not a scatback.. Willis' acceleration and strides aren't going to look like Parrishes' and with another year of rehab and weight training I'd expect WM to be back close to 100% of the speed he had in college.

EDS
06-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Reality is that Willis had the speed to consistently turn the corner last year and the quickness to break LBers ankles leaving them standing frozen and confused.. you don't call that speed?

Illis looked to have plenty of Breakaway speed to me last season.. how many times was he caught from behind by DB's who are the fastest and best athletes on the field.

He's a big bruising back, he's not a scatback.. Willis' acceleration and strides aren't going to look like Parrishes' and with another year of rehab and weight training I'd expect WM to be back close to 100% of the speed he had in college.

I don't have specifics but I do remember him getting caught from behind. I don't think he displayed the break-away speed and big-play ability he showed at Miami. Hopefully, he regains some of it this year.

The_Philster
06-10-2005, 09:17 AM
I don't have specifics but I do remember him getting caught from behind. I don't think he displayed the break-away speed and big-play ability he showed at Miami. Hopefully, he regains some of it this year.

I believe I heard it mentioned that he was only at 85% in 2004