PDA

View Full Version : Michael Munoz Quits Football

juice
04-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Here's one guy that wont be a surprise Undrafted :nuk: FA in the League.. He said because he wasn't drafted he will give up the game.

His father said it was a total surprise that he wasn't drafted.. Maybe the scouts saw that he didn't have any intensity or heart to play the game.

Talk about your spoiled brat son of a Former player, this kid was a 4 year starter at Tennesee.www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/football/nfl/11485419.htm (http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/football/nfl/11485419.htm)

Good2Go

TheBrownBear
04-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Link doesn't work

The Spaz
04-25-2005, 01:02 PM
If true **** him I say.:baby:

HardHittingSpikes
04-25-2005, 01:05 PM
wtf??????????? 4years for nothing

Stewie
04-25-2005, 01:06 PM
It's true. Oh well, he basically said football isn't his thing. I respect him for not leading teams on if his heart isn't really in it.

ParanoidAndroid
04-25-2005, 01:08 PM
I keep getting a script error when that page loads.

Anyway, this strikes me as one of those situations where dad pressures son to walk in his footsteps, but son doesn't really want to. It's not like he comes from a poor or middle class family who could use the dough. He probably is kind of spoiled. If he was drafted he was likely going to be a disappointment anyway. He did the right thing.

He'll be sipping daquiri's by the pool and chasing imaginary penguins in a week.

Novacane
04-25-2005, 01:09 PM
wtf??????????? 4years for nothing

A college degree is something

ParanoidAndroid
04-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Nothing? Yeah. If you don't turn pro in your college sport it was all a waste of time. :shakeno:

He has a degree and I bet had the time of his life while getting it. Even if he didn't love the game, he probably liked being part of a team, had lots of friends, partied, and got laid a little bit before and after he got married all while getting a degree. I wouldn't call that a waste of 4 years.

juice
04-25-2005, 01:20 PM
Try this one.www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/football/nfl/11485419.htm (http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/football/nfl/11485419.htm):up:

Mr. Miyagi
04-25-2005, 01:22 PM
he basically said football isn't his thing.
That's because deep inside...he wants to DANCE!!!!! :pir: :twirl:

Meathead
04-25-2005, 01:29 PM
lmao!

http://www.billsfancentral.com/forums/images/smilies/boogie.gif

Meathead
04-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Nothing? Yeah. If you don't turn pro in your college sport it was all a waste of time. :shakeno:

Thou shalt not turn down money and fame.

Stewie
04-25-2005, 01:48 PM
You guys are accusing him of being spoiled, how do you know?

Maybe playing pro football just isn't what he wanted to do, and not getting drafted was an easy way to walk away and still appease his father?

TheBrownBear
04-25-2005, 01:55 PM

Maybe playing pro football just isn't what he wanted to do, and not getting drafted was an easy way to walk away and still appease his father?
Exactly. He doesn't sound heartbroken in the least bit. He seems like a smart guy. He'll probably end up in some Washington think tank after getting his MPA and MBA, or maybe he'll become an I-Banker. It's hard work, but i-bankers make pretty good dough.

Michael82
04-25-2005, 02:03 PM
I wonder if his injury was worse than everybody said. That's my guess as to why he fell out of the draft.

Romes
04-25-2005, 02:03 PM
good thing we didn't draft him then...

SoCalBillsFan
04-25-2005, 02:04 PM
I can'tunderstand most of your reactions...spoiled? Screw him? Why, because he is able to walk away from the game?

Quote from the article: "I had fun playing football. But I never found my identify playing football," he said. "Football isn't who I am. I knew the day would come when I'd have to walk away from the sport and I'm fine with that. Some people are so wrapped up in it they can't walk away because that's who they are. It's time to make a clean break."

Sounds like a pretty grounded guy to me, not spoiled in the least.

mysticsoto
04-25-2005, 02:38 PM
I can'tunderstand most of your reactions...spoiled? Screw him? Why, because he is able to walk away from the game?

Quote from the article: "I had fun playing football. But I never found my identify playing football," he said. "Football isn't who I am. I knew the day would come when I'd have to walk away from the sport and I'm fine with that. Some people are so wrapped up in it they can't walk away because that's who they are. It's time to make a clean break."

Sounds like a pretty grounded guy to me, not spoiled in the least.
My only problem with this is that he says football is not his identity - but then, why was he in the draft to begin with? When was he going to reveal that it wasn't his identity? After he was drafted and was given loads of money by a team - then when he didn't produce he would eventually be let go, but with a couple hundred thousand dollars in his pocket?

Seems to me like he's just saying this b'cse of pride and not being drafted or even selected among the undrafted. Thank god nobody was dumb enough to draft him by name like some people on this board wanted to do...

juice
04-25-2005, 02:55 PM

Maybe playing pro football just isn't what he wanted to do, and not getting drafted was an easy way to walk away and still appease his father?I call him Spoiled because in the article it also says that he doesn't know what his future plans are, just that other doors may be opened.. On the contrary when Ricky Williams says he isn't defined by the game and was concerned that he was being overused by the Phins running him 400-500x/season, most posters here were ready to call him a complete headcase.

Maybe Ricky was concerned that he would not have the use of his legs at the rate the Dolphins were using him.. at least Ricky had an Idea of what he wanted to do in the near future.. Smoke Bud and chill-out with his kids.

As much as that makes Ricky is a Pot Smoking Headcase, this kid quitting on an NFL career makes him a spoiled son of a NFL player.

It's not like his degree is gonna run out if he gave the League a few years of his life as an Undrafted FA, it just sounds like he's a little pissed that he'd never be the player that his dad was.

Captain gameboy
04-25-2005, 03:37 PM
I always thought his dad was a little overrated too.

I met the guy, and he isn't quite as big as published.

Additionally, I remember Bruce Smith killing him in the AFC championship game-jumped over him once, as I recall.

Next famous kid to watch------Chris Long, Howie's kid.
Had a super day, according to the media, at the spring thing Saturday.

I aint buyin' it.

Bert102176
04-25-2005, 03:40 PM
or he could end up on some street corner in a mini-skirt saying come here often

Jayhawk
04-25-2005, 03:42 PM
meh, it's one of those things I give him a year, he'll be back.

nodnarb
04-25-2005, 05:25 PM
how little we really know about the prospects.

the negativity in here is laughable. As if any of you, including me, know what's best for the team and which players will fit in and help us.

JOKE

Dozerdog
04-25-2005, 05:51 PM
how little we really know about the prospects.

the negativity in here is laughable. As if any of you, including me, know what's best for the team and which players will fit in and help us.

JOKE
You are RIGHT ON!

But a cheesy draft guide, a bag of beef Jerkey, and a remote will make anyone an expert.

ArcticWildMan
04-25-2005, 06:38 PM
But a cheesy draft guide, a bag of beef Jerkey, and a remote will make anyone an expert.

How about if I stay at a Holiday Inn? :D

Dozerdog
04-25-2005, 06:41 PM
BTW- free BillsZone draft guides still available!:D

LtFinFan66
04-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Here's one guy that wont be a surprise Undrafted :nuk: FA in the League.. He said because he wasn't drafted he will give up the game.

His father said it was a total surprise that he wasn't drafted.. Maybe the scouts saw that he didn't have any intensity or heart to play the game.

Talk about your spoiled brat son of a Former player, this kid was a 4 year starter at Tennesee.www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/football/nfl/11485419.htm (http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/football/nfl/11485419.htm)

Good2Go
That is weak! They say it's becuase of injury?? WTF is wrong with him? Anyone??

juice
04-25-2005, 07:50 PM
That is weak! They say it's becuase of injury?? WTF is wrong with him? Anyone??A torn Rotator Cuff ends his career..I feel sorry for his dad, he has to be very disappointed - maybe he's got another son who can carry on the family name in the League.

helmetguy
04-25-2005, 08:06 PM
What's the big deal? He made himself available for the draft because he was exploring just one of probably many career opportunities. He didn't get drafted, so he's looking at other possibilities. I have a ton more respect for Munoz that I could ever scrape together for a schmuck like Clarett.

BTW, juice, I'll bet Munoz' dad was proud to see his son get his degree. Unlike Clarett, he EARNED his seat in the classroom, rather than usurp it, then spit on the very people who gave it to him.

juice
04-25-2005, 10:15 PM
What's the big deal? He made himself available for the draft because he was exploring just one of probably many career opportunities. He didn't get drafted, so he's looking at other possibilities. I have a ton more respect for Munoz that I could ever scrape together for a schmuck like Clarett.

BTW, juice, I'll bet Munoz' dad was proud to see his son get his degree. Unlike Clarett, he EARNED his seat in the classroom, rather than usurp it, then spit on the very people who gave it to him.It's funny that Anthony Munoz didn't happen to mention how proud he was of his son getting that degree in the statement that he released.. I'd be willing to bet that he would have been much prouder if the Cry:nuk: Baby Michael had made more of an attempt to rehab his shoulder injury and at least given the League a shot. I'm sure he's happy with the fact that he managed to get his degree and all but what Son of an All time Great player in the League couldn't get a 4 year degree from Tennessee when he came out of HS as one of the Top Lineman that year. Really how hard is it to get through College Football level classes when your last name is Munoz and your in one of the major College football programs in the country.

That 4 year degree is no major accomplishment when your from NFL pedigree.. Marcus Vick's is going to be the starter at VT this year and he's fresh off of sex and drug charges - how much do you wanna bet that he leaves VT with a 4 year degree.. and his brother only has one ProBowl and one Playoff appearance thus far.

Any Father who was an All Time Great in the League wants to see his son carry on the family name in the NFL if he has any possible shot.. if anything Anthony Munoz sounded crushed from the statements he made.

"We were totally shocked that he wasn't Drafted" and "Knowing as many people in the League as I know we didnt have an inkling.." doesn't really sound like a father who is totally OK with his son's lack of heart.. it sounds like he feels like his son didn't put forth a total effort and now because things didn't go the way he wanted them to in the Draft he's turning his back on the League as well as his Fathers wishes.

Isn't Munoz a successful business man in his own right? If he wanted to see his son simply earn a degree and go out into the Labor force he could've given him ownership in a Anthony Munoz SportsBar franchise in Cinci or something.

This kid not only quit on the League, which he didn't owe anything, but he also quit on his Dad whom he owed everything.. the reason being he knows he can live the rest of his life off of the name Munoz.. if that wasn't the case then he would already have a plan in place instead of running a line of BS like "One door has closed and many others have opened".. The only door that has shut is the one that he slammed in his Father's face when he walked out to the driveway of the family mansion and jumped in his Hummer.:drive:

This kid is a disgrace to the name Munoz.:respect: As far as respect he gets none from me. This little Biotch even had to get his Pops to make a public statement for him. Were you looking to Draft this kid in the Late rounds Helmet? One question for Mike Munoz "Who's your Daddy?"

LifetimeBillsFan
04-26-2005, 01:54 AM
I have no problem with what M.Munoz or R.Williams have done in this regard--it's their life and they have every right to do whatever they want. That's what being free is all about.

But, what I do have a big problem with is when and how they went about doing it because it demonstrates their self-centeredness and utter disregard for other people.

I'm not going to get into discussing Rickey, but, as far a M.Munoz, is concerned, I think that, if he felt this way, he should have let people know. Now, maybe he did let people in the NFL know and that's why he wasn't drafted. If so, then, I have no problem with what he has done because, in that case, he was responsible enought to give the people who were his prospective employers due notice and courtesy, even if he didn't let his fans and everyone else, including family know. But, if he did not let people in the NFL know that this was how he was feeling, then, I think that he was being irresponsible. And, if he came to this decision only because he was not drafted, immaturity can be added to that irresponsibility.

While I was one of those who wanted the Bills to draft or bring M.Munoz in as a UFA, I am now very glad that they didn't. As I see it, his behavior in this regard demonstrates that he would not have had the "fire in the belly" or the perseverance that it takes to become a good player in the NFL.