PDA

View Full Version : This might sound crazy

sb_bound
04-25-2005, 03:54 PM
I just don't think that Parrish has the size to go over the middle and not get injured. I would like to see MM move Parrish and Evans to the outside and put Moulds in the slot on three receiver sets. Moulds has the size and speed to get open over the middle. The opposing defense can pick their poison at that point. Do you line up your #1 CB on Moulds in the slot, or do you put your nickle back on him and let Moulds run wild in the middle of the field. If you put your #1 CB on Moulds then who is going to cover two of the fastest players on the Bills (Evans and Parrish). If you stick a Nickle back on Parrish he is going to toast him. We have never had this much speed on the Bills. We have a WR corp that is almost impossible to cover.

TedMock
04-25-2005, 04:03 PM
I just don't think that Parrish has the size to go over the middle and not get injured. I would like to see MM move Parrish and Evans to the outside and put Moulds in the slot on three receiver sets. Moulds has the size and speed to get open over the middle. The opposing defense can pick their poison at that point. Do you line up your #1 CB on Moulds in the slot, or do you put your nickle back on him and let Moulds run wild in the middle of the field. If you put your #1 CB on Moulds then who is going to cover two of the fastest players on the Bills (Evans and Parrish). If you stick a Nickle back on Parrish he is going to toast him. We have never had this much speed on the Bills. We have a WR corp that is almost impossible to cover.

They're probably going to work his speed in the slot, similar to the way Indy uses Stokely. Hopefully he avoids too many bad shots. I'd love to see him snag one 3-7 yards out and then burn for 40 yards.

BillZRulZ
04-25-2005, 04:31 PM
He'll be real good for us. His speed is deceptive and once he catches the ball, he is SO dangerous. I like drafting players out of Miami, they are really good!

jamze132
04-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Parish will run a LOT of reverses and trick plays. They guy can also throw a football too.

Tatonka
04-25-2005, 06:32 PM
yeah.. he was a highschool qb.

McGee
04-25-2005, 06:55 PM
I just don't think that Parrish has the size to go over the middle and not get injured.Most of the scouting reports I've read have said he is "tough," and I don't believe he's had any injuries in the past. Plus, I'd assume Moulds or someone in the coaching staff will get him into the weight room. I think he'll be fine no matter where the Bills decide to use him.

ParanoidAndroid
04-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Wayne Chrebet has about 15 lbs on him and made a LIVING over the middle. I hated that guy on 3rd down. Parrish is smaller but twice the athelete Chrebet is. If he can put on 10 lbs and not slow down, he'll be more than okay. The guy is going to destroy safeties and nickel corners with his separation and speed. He can come back to the ball which is going to be good for a QB on the run.

DraftBoy
04-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Also being the slot he really is gonna be tough to jam which is a reason you really cant or dont want to move him outside so he gets that good jump.

mysticsoto
04-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Yeah, Parrish will excel with reverses (and so can Evans, so it can be tricky on which one will end up with the reverse - there can be fake reverses, etc), and will also be good for quick slant throws from JP - especially if someone decides to try and blitz - speedsters will make you pay for that!!! I don't envision him going for long balls - that's Evans and Moulds job still, but he should do fine.

Stewie
04-25-2005, 09:27 PM
This being small thing is so comepletely overblown. If he's tough, he's tough. Period. It's not like a 200lb WR scares linebackers or defensive backs. Him being smaller just makes it harder to get a good lick on him.

I don't see EM working the slot any more than he has in the past. We want some speed in the slot. It'll keep the safteys honest.

ShadowHawk7
04-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Also being the slot he really is gonna be tough to jam which is a reason you really cant or dont want to move him outside so he gets that good jump.
Exactly, he will get jammed much harder on the outside.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Don't let this sound like I'm calling you dumb. Everyone, including Mularkay, indicated that Parrish should be easily used to create mismatch problems for opponents. Putting him outside is not one. Lining him in 4 or 5 wide sets, or putting him in the slot is how people create mismatches. Let's say he's in the slot, you put a linebacker or safety on him? It's not going to work because of his quickness and speed, especially when he's in motion and its's impossible to get jammed at LOS. You put a equally smallish speedster on him? Here's McGahee coming at you.

The criticism is on him getting killed going over the middle. What Modrak and the Bills are saying is that he's elusive enough that he is more likely to take it to the distance than getting creamed by the safeties. Who's right and who's wrong? I don't know. We'll find out starting from September!

elltrain22
04-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Hey, I'm optimistic. BTW, love the positivity in your post. Many who are doubters have probably not even seen this guy play. True, he is small, true, his stats in college aren't spectacular, and true, there might have been "smarter" picks, but who knows, this guy could be good for us.

TigerJ
04-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Someone somewhere pointed out that a lot of slot receivers are on the small side. Parrish is supposed to be very quick in addition to being fast. He should be able to get open underneath, and then if the nickle back wiffs on him, bye bye Roscoe.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-26-2005, 02:14 AM
Parrish was not afraid to go over the middle at Miami. In fact, the only serious injury that he has had was bruised lungs from a hit that he took going across the middle. If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw him take that hit and think that I remember that he held on to the ball even though he was crushed. He came back from that injury and it didn't stop him from going over the middle again this season.

Parrish also said something interesting about being jammed at the line of scrimmage: he pointed out that every day in practice he went against A.Rolle, who is a big CB and had to be able to get off of the line of scrimmage against him. While A.Rolle isn't as good as some of the CBs in the NFL just yet, he still was about as good as it gets on the college level, so Roscoe has a pretty good point there.

Also, with the new pass defense rules, it's going to be pretty hard to cover Parrish when he works out of the slot.

With all of the emphasis on big WRs in recent years, people seem to forget that there have been some pretty good small WRs in the NFL over the years: as I recall, Washington won a SB with a bunch of "Smurfs"! As Parrish fills out as he gets a bit older and he gets stronger from working out in the off-season more, he will learn how to use his quickness and strength to get off of the line of scrimmage better. He can contribute right away working out of the slot as he matures physically and learns the techniques necessary to move to the outside. And, he will have at least one season to learn from E.Moulds, who has been highly praised as a teacher/mentor by every young WR that the Bills have brought in recent years.

BuffaloRanger
04-26-2005, 02:52 AM
Go back 3 years and all these things were said about Reed. Can Roscoe catch in the NFL? That's the most important thing. If he can, quick passes to him could break games open.

ryjam282
04-26-2005, 07:05 AM
Parrish was not afraid to go over the middle at Miami. In fact, the only serious injury that he has had was bruised lungs from a hit that he took going across the middle. If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw him take that hit and think that I remember that he held on to the ball even though he was crushed. He came back from that injury and it didn't stop him from going over the middle again this season.

Being a Canes fan, I remember that hit very vivedly. It was against the Noles in the rain. He got hit, it was Stanford Samuels that laid the blow, and Roscoe did not hold on to the ball, he never really caught it in the first place. He had bruised lungs and I believe some internal bleeding as a result. He came back and continued to be a spark for that team. He goes over the middle, he really excels at the WR screen play, as this was the only route that Brock Berlin could throw consistently, and is just a blazer when he has the ball. Us Bills fans will be happy he is with us.

buffmaniac
04-26-2005, 07:43 AM
I think Randel-El from Pittsburgh. That's what I would expect from Parrish

madness
04-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Being a Canes fan, I remember that hit very vivedly. It was against the Noles in the rain. He got hit, it was Stanford Samuels that laid the blow, and Roscoe did not hold on to the ball, he never really caught it in the first place. He had bruised lungs and I believe some internal bleeding as a result. He came back and continued to be a spark for that team. He goes over the middle, he really excels at the WR screen play, as this was the only route that Brock Berlin could throw consistently, and is just a blazer when he has the ball. Us Bills fans will be happy he is with us.

ryjam282, Is it also true the Canes spread the ball more than most teams? I read this in an article and would explain why he doesn't have "great" numbers.

Being we had a top 5 defense and 20 something ranked offense, I can understand MM and TD's philosophy for this year's draft. People have to realize, the role of the O-line will be shifting this year. They no longer have to pretend they are a brick wall protecting a "statue". I'm actually very excited about the offense this year and can't wait for MM's creative juices to start flowing like it did with the Steelers. He wants to put the ball into playmakers hands that can move the chains, thus making our defense even better.

mysticsoto
04-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Go back 3 years and all these things were said about Reed. Can Roscoe catch in the NFL? That's the most important thing. If he can, quick passes to him could break games open.

??? I've never heard Reed described as a speedster - or as being very fluid or explosive as Parrish is being described.. He was supposed to be a sure-handed guy who wasn't afraid of going across the middle and making a catch. And he was in his rookie year...

TheBrownBear
04-26-2005, 08:48 AM
You can expect Parrish to become, at best, a Peter Warrick type of player. He'll never put up large ypc numbers, but he'll be a threat in the short passing game. And he will be utilized in the slot.

Dicknoze69
04-26-2005, 08:55 AM
He goes over the middle, he really excels at the WR screen play, as this was the only route that Brock Berlin could throw consistently, and is just a blazer when he has the ball. Us Bills fans will be happy he is with us.

I love that line about Berlin. Excellent example of why Parrish's stats weren't awesome.

sb_bound
04-26-2005, 09:00 AM
The whole bruised lungs thing has me worried. What happens when Losman over extends Parrish going across the middle? I don't want to get this kid killed and JP is bound to make a couple bad throws over the middle. I am just worried that Parrish is going to get killed. If we stuck Moulds in the slot and put Parrish in motion we would still present the same matchup problems to defenses around the NFL. No linebacker or Nickleback is going to be able to cover Moulds in the slot.