Not just pertaining to the Bills:

What team(s) had the best draft?
What team(s) had the worst draft?
What was the most surprising pick?
What was the worst pick?
What was the best pick?

Mr.Reality
04-25-2005, 04:35 PM
A lot of people are saying the Lions had a good draft. I think their draft sucked. Sure, Mike Williams is a good reciever, but we just signed Kevin Johnson off free agency, have Roy Williams, and Charles Rogers, if he can ever play. Our defense sucks rocks. Did we really need another WR? There were defensive guys out there, most notably linebackers, who'd have made a bigger impact than Williams is gonna. Who's gonna throw the ball to Williams? Harrington? :lmao:

Their second blunder was trading up for a DT, a DT that they could have had in the first round without trading anything. We lost two picks in that deal. Two more guys we could have used on defense. We got a decent player. We probably could have had one just as good if we'd waited.

Their third blunder was taking some track and field guy who's terrified to tackle in the third round as a CB. Yeah, he runs fast. But he'll get slapped silly in the NFL.

No 4th round pick.

In the fifth they took Dan Orlovski of UConn, one of the few picks I liked.

In the 6th they got a DE who could be a sleeper.

That's about it. No linebackers. No safeties. No usable corners. They could have probably knocked off all three if they didn't pick Williams and trade up for Cody. They basically sacraficed another year. We cannot win with this defense, with or without Williams.

I think they screwed. Huge.

Bill Brasky
04-26-2005, 06:27 AM
I think DET made the most surprising choice by taking Williams.

Apparently TD wasn't watching the draft. If he wanted a WR he could have seen that when DET drafted Williams they were probably going to dump Hakim, therefore he could have picked him up and used 55 to take an OL or DT.

I really don't care if there "was nobody worthy of a 2nd round pick at that position" this line is in need of serious revamping and it got exactly the opposite.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-26-2005, 06:56 AM
Best draft - Miami
Worst draft - Washington
Most suprising pick - Roscoe Parrish
Worst pick - Jason Campbell
Best pick - Antajj Hawthorne

Billsouth
04-26-2005, 08:58 AM
most surprising pick: maurice clarett
best draft: arizona
worst draft: new england
worst pick see most surprising pick
best pick

mysticsoto
04-26-2005, 09:00 AM
Best draft - Miami
Worst draft - Washington
Most suprising pick - Roscoe Parrish
Worst pick - Jason Campbell
Best pick - Antajj Hawthorne
Hmmm...here are mine:

Best draft: Arizona - 1st, Minnesota - 2nd
Worst Draft: Green Bay
Most surprising pick: Matt Jones
Worst pick: Maurice Clarett
Best Pick: Mike Williams

The King
04-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Im suprised no one picked Cleveland as the big winner this weekend. I thought they did a nice job. At first I thought the Edwards pick was just trade bait but they nabbed the best player in the draft. They got a starting Safety and they were able to get a good project QB in Frye in the third. I thought they did a good job.

The King
04-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Best draft - Cleveland
Worst draft - Detriot
Most suprising pick - Mike Nugent
Worst pick - Clarrett in the 3rd!!!
Best pick - Matt Jones

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Hey myst, Arizona is #1. If you add the players they added and the free agents they signed. I have to say you are correct. I really liked what Miami did though.

mysticsoto
04-26-2005, 10:19 AM
Hey myst, Arizona is #1. If you add the players they added and the free agents they signed. I have to say you are correct. I really liked what Miami did though.
Yes, Miami did okay, but they had alot of positions to address. I don't feel like they did much for their O-line and I think Feeley will be affected by that. I also think that Ronnie Brown may have to create his own plays.

I view Arizona as #1.

#2 - Minnesota - I think they should definitely be a contender to the throne in the NFC and give a much better challenge to Philly right now.

#3 - Dallas - they did fantastic in overhauling their defense. However, my view is that Dallas is going to look alot like we did last year. Great defense, but so-so offense that at times looks okay, at times looks terrible - pretty much never looks great. I think after this year, Parcells and Jones will be drafting a #1 QB next year. :D

ShadowHawk7
04-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Hmmm...here are mine:

Best draft: Arizona - 1st, Minnesota - 2nd
Worst Draft: Green Bay
Most surprising pick: Matt Jones
Worst pick: Maurice Clarett
Best Pick: Mike Williams

Just wondering.. why do you think the Pack had the worst draft? My brother loves the Packers, and I would like to throw a couple reasons at him why his team sucked this draft.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-26-2005, 12:22 PM
I take my worst draft back also. The worst draft was Detroit:

1. Mike Williams - Huh?
2. Dan Cody - has major bust written all over him and he has medical issues.
3. Stanley Wilson - I use to like Wilson, but I have heard nothing but bad things since.
4. Dan Orlovsky - This guy fell from the #2 quarterback behind Leinhart last year to the 9th best qb? Waste of the 5th pick.
5. Swancutt - I do like this pick
6. Goddard - Are they going to move him to LB? Not very big for a DE.

THATHURMANATOR
04-26-2005, 12:28 PM
A lot of people are saying the Lions had a good draft. I think their draft sucked. Sure, Mike Williams is a good reciever, but we just signed Kevin Johnson off free agency, have Roy Williams, and Charles Rogers, if he can ever play. Our defense sucks rocks. Did we really need another WR? There were defensive guys out there, most notably linebackers, who'd have made a bigger impact than Williams is gonna. Who's gonna throw the ball to Williams? Harrington? :lmao:

Their second blunder was trading up for a DT, a DT that they could have had in the first round without trading anything. We lost two picks in that deal. Two more guys we could have used on defense. We got a decent player. We probably could have had one just as good if we'd waited.

Their third blunder was taking some track and field guy who's terrified to tackle in the third round as a CB. Yeah, he runs fast. But he'll get slapped silly in the NFL.

No 4th round pick.

In the fifth they took Dan Orlovski of UConn, one of the few picks I liked.

In the 6th they got a DE who could be a sleeper.

That's about it. No linebackers. No safeties. No usable corners. They could have probably knocked off all three if they didn't pick Williams and trade up for Cody. They basically sacraficed another year. We cannot win with this defense, with or without Williams.

I think they screwed. Huge.

Dude you are a Lions fan?

mysticsoto
04-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Just wondering.. why do you think the Pack had the worst draft? My brother loves the Packers, and I would like to throw a couple reasons at him why his team sucked this draft.
At 1st, I thought it was great that they took Aaron Rodgers. But as I started thinking about it, more and more it seemed like the wrong move for them. In taking Aaron Rodgers (QB), they basically said, we are not going to address our immediate need and will think of the future. I understand that there is the possibility that Brett Favre could retire after this season (there's been that possibility for several seasons), but I think their defense is SO bad, that they should have addressed it 1st and hoped to get a later rd quarterback that could be a diamond in the rough (like NE found with Brady). Their defense is just horrendous! They do address the defense afterward, but now it is a matter of hoping that these lower ranked players will step up...

If you look at who they got afterwards:

2 Free safeties in the first of their 2nd rd pick and in the first of their 4th pick. What does that say? They're not sure that the first FS will work out so they draft another prospect? That's how desperate they are for a good Free Safety! With their 1st pick, they could have had a top FS in Brodney Poole and not need to use another draft pick!

They grabbed a so-so OLB in the second pick of the 4th and a lightly build CB in the 5th. They also grabbed 2 WRs in the draft - once again - are they not comfortable with their second 2nd rd pick Terrance Murphy that they went again later to pick another. With the 1st rd pick, they could have had Roddy White. They actually also pick another CB in the 7th. It's almost like they went with 2 of everything hoping that one of their picks will produce at the spot they need. This ends up limiting a great deal who they are able to bring in.

Keep in mind that GB had 11 picks in this draft. If they had target areas of need - make an effort to trade up to get a top FS, a top WR and/or a top CB. That would have made the pick of Aaron Rodgers less questionable. In my eyes, Brett Favre should not be happy. I just didn't feel like they did much to help place people around him to win.

I understand you need to look to the future, but you still have a great QB on your team, and you should be focusing on getting a good supporting cast to be able to make a run at the playoffs. Start thinking about rebuilding once he's gone. If you start thinking of rebuilding now, the capacity of what the team can still achieve today could suffer.

mysticsoto
04-26-2005, 01:10 PM
I take my worst draft back also. The worst draft was Detroit:

1. Mike Williams - Huh?
2. Dan Cody - has major bust written all over him and he has medical issues.
3. Stanley Wilson - I use to like Wilson, but I have heard nothing but bad things since.
4. Dan Orlovsky - This guy fell from the #2 quarterback behind Leinhart last year to the 9th best qb? Waste of the 5th pick.
5. Swancutt - I do like this pick
6. Goddard - Are they going to move him to LB? Not very big for a DE.
Actually Mike Williams will fit perfectly into Detroit. He will probably put up big numbers!!! However, as you mention above, I don't think they did much to improve their defense - so they should be able to score well, but will once again need to wait until next year to have a defense.

BTW, I do think the #4 pick, Orlovsky was a good pick. I feel this guy has potential and they need to light a fire under Harrington and let him know that if he doesn't produce, someone else can be groomed this year to replace you next!!!