PDA

View Full Version : Weiler Chimes In...and I agree with him

jeffhcb
04-25-2005, 04:11 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center bgColor=#fafafa border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Bills’ Draft Falls Well Short of Meeting Pressing Needs
By Mark Weiler
April 24, 2005</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://www.billsbuzz.com/billsbuzz/images/cleardot.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" align=center bgColor=#fafafa border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>It cannot be any clearer at this point and given the Bills’ offseason strategy over the past several seasons that they simply do not place a high value in having an outstanding offensive line. Well, this season should either validate the Commander Tom era notions that blood can in fact be drawn from a stone or that in fact one does need a solid line in the NFL to achieve offensive success. While last season’s skewed scoring success appears to have masked the truth behind one of the worst offenses in the league in terms of moving the ball, the cold reality of the situation will catch up to these Bills this fall.

Boy howdy! A role playing wide receiver and a tight end that can’t block. Ahhhh yes! What a productive first day indeed. Perhaps I should have found something a little more relevant to occupy my time on Saturday during the draft, something such as doing laundry, mopping floors, or heck, even cleaning my floors with a toothbrush would have been time more effectively spent. Had I known in advance, I could have scheduled something a bit more enjoyable such as gum surgery.

Before proceeding in the analysis of the Bills’ 2005 draft, allow it to be firmly restated that the Bills largest needs heading into this draft were offensive tackle, left tackle to be precise, offensive guards, a center, all three for both starters and depth, cornerback, defensive tackle, safety, defensive end, and linebacker, both middle and outside. Perhaps the four biggest non-need areas on this team were WR, TE, QB, and RB.

Read the rest here: http://billsbuzz.com/billsbuzz/pages/articles/articles2005/240405.htm

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Novacane
04-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Meanwhile, as the first selection on day two in the fourth round, the Bills overstepped Jason Brown, center, UNC and Ben Wilkerson among numerous others ranked more highly by most to reach for Raymond "Duke" Preston.

Does'nt bother to mention Wilkerson went undrafted. The "commander Tom" angle was funny once. He did not need to repeat it 100 times

Novacane
04-25-2005, 04:23 PM
There is already evidence that players in free agency are avoiding the Bills. That figures to worsen next season.

Where is the evidence? :boring:

jeffhcb
04-25-2005, 04:26 PM
There is already evidence that players in free agency are avoiding the Bills. That figures to worsen next season.

Where is the evidence? :boring:
Demulling went to Detroit instead of Buff for not a lot of money.

Captain gameboy
04-25-2005, 04:27 PM
I would pay money to see his "column" here after the first preseason game of 2003.

Classic.

Novacane
04-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Demulling went to Detroit instead of Buff for not a lot of money.

..........but we offered less. FA going for the biggest offer is nothing new. Mark just likes to *****.

helmetguy
04-25-2005, 05:04 PM
He WOULD have been more productive mopping floors, doing laundry, etc. No doubt he's more skillful in those endeavors than he is in writing and analysis.

THATHURMANATOR
04-25-2005, 05:12 PM
He is correct in the point that we don't have a left tackle this year. I am going to let it play out though. He just writes with that style that totally gets under your skin, almost as if he is explaining something to a complete ******.

BAM
04-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Mark is a pretty crafty and intelligent writer but I have to say I disagree with 95% of what I just read.

Jan Reimers
04-25-2005, 05:17 PM
Mark simply fails to realize that MM is building this team to his liking - with fast, skilled offensive players and anonymous O-linemen that McNally will build into a functional unit.

ArcticWildMan
04-25-2005, 05:21 PM
As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, you can count on Mark to be pissed at Donahoe and down on the team.

When he is happy about what we are doing then I will be scared!!! :scared:

gonzo1105
04-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Yea I find it really funny that everyone has a hankering for Ben Wilkerson but then why was he passed up on 255 picks if he is so good. That is what I dont understand. People get too caught up in what the scouting reports by some of these draft books say. Just cause a draft book says oh hes definetely a 3rd round pick people assume he'll be a 3rd round pick...and then people go why the hell didn't he get picked...maybe cause scouts know more then draft books. Thats why I say let it play out. With basically the same line last year(minus Jennings) they played exceptionally especially in pass protection.

Canadian'eh!
04-25-2005, 05:46 PM
:negrep:

For posting any of the drivel that moronic hack weiler "writes"

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2005, 06:06 PM
At wide receiver, one would think that Evans, Moulds, Reed, Aiken, and Smith would be more than adequate especially given that the Bills now have a QB that can do something other than launch long balls as a sole strength. For a team that Coach Mularkey promised would be a "smashmouth running team", the Bills surely have spent an inordinate amount of top resources into improving a passing game since his arrival. Clue: Actions not matching statements!Agreed.

With Syracuse OT Adam Terry sitting there ripe for the picking, the choice was obvious. The 6’8"/330 lb. tackle with an enormous amount of upside was made for the Bills. Apparently Commander Tom and the Blight Brigade saw it differently however. I’m sure out of One Bills Drive we’ll be hearing about how the 5’9"/168 lb. Parrish can also convert to LT if need be. The spin should certainly be entertaining and amusing whatever it is.Big time agree.

It is all but a given that neither Parrish nor Everett will ever be consummate players at their respective positions...Disagree. Who knows at this point. Yes Parrish is a runt, but at slot he could be very effective. There's nothing to suggest Everett won't be good either.

With Teague and Villarrial’s performances now fading as they age, and with Teague’s status as a free agent following the season, given that the Bills’ only two other linemen worth a damp one are underachiever cap-cow Mike Williams and Mr. Immobility Bennie Anderson, somehow stocking the offensive line springs to mind. Call me crazy, but supposing Teague leaves after the season and Villarrial, due to either age or injury, something that the Bills have had the sun shining up their tailpipe on regarding the offensive line in recent seasons, is no longer viable, not exactly a ridiculous possibility, it would seem to me that perhaps beginning to find their replacements would be a good idea. And let’s suppose Williams does not improve enough and refuses to restructure after the season? Gosh, the Bills could very well be looking for an entire line next season.Valid points.

But I really hate his writing style. He diminishes the good things he says with all the drivel, repetition, wisecracks and immaturity.

The_Philster
04-25-2005, 06:07 PM
He is correct in the point that we don't have a left tackle this year. I am going to let it play out though. He just writes with that style that totally gets under your skin, almost as if he is explaining something to a complete ******.
No doubt...kinda like John Madden

Mark is a pretty crafty and intelligent writer but I have to say I disagree with 95% of what I just read.
I like Mark, but he's not a good writer...and I'm not talking about hating what he says. He just repeats himself ad nauseum. If he cut his articles in half, he'd say just about as much.

As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, you can count on Mark to be pissed at Donahoe and down on the team.

When he is happy about what we are doing then I will be scared!!! :scared::laughter: too true

Tatonka
04-25-2005, 06:21 PM
i got past the part where he said something about mopping.. and i woke up with drool on my chest.. he could have summarized that novel with the following "I, Mark Weiler, think the bills draft sucked." and i wold have gotten the same thing.. without the nap.

The_Philster
04-25-2005, 06:22 PM
i got past the part where he said something about mopping.. and i woke up with drool on my chest.. :laughter:

Bulldog
04-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Why do people continue to post Weiler's articles on here like he's some sort of respected columnist? He used to post this crap on the boards all the time and now the only difference is he formats it to look like an article. Weis can suck a nut for all I care!

justasportsfan
04-25-2005, 07:02 PM
MArk knows his football but a lot has to be desired about his writing. He makes the same points in one pragraph and then repeats it in another. That's why his articles are so long.

I do agree though. Donahoe has not prioritized the OL since he's been here. The cowboys era of the 90's had a great OL that won them numerous sb's. Big Ben looked so much better because of a dominant OL. Denver has always had great backs because of the OL.

I wonder if TD is being patient when he said in the past he's getting impatient. The players he took in the draft are all projects that are set to contribute in the future. We want a Sb NOW!!!

What happens when Fletcher, Spikes, Milloy and the others are lost to either age, FA'cy or wosrt yet, injury?

McNally said he's not a miracle worker. If that's the case he better start praying. Maybe someone up there will send a few towards our way.

I like the way Tom makes deals for players . I am tired of not getting any results.

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2005, 07:09 PM
MArk knows his football but a lot has to be desired about his writing. He makes the same points in one pragraph and then repeats it in another. That's why his articles are so long.

I do agree though. Donahoe has not prioritized the OL since he's been here. The cowboys era of the 90's had a great OL that won them numerous sb's. Big Ben looked so much better because of a dominant OL. Denver has always had great backs because of the OL.

I wonder if TD is being patient when he said in the past he's getting impatient. The players he took in the draft are all projects that are set to contribute in the future. We want a Sb NOW!!!

What happens when Fletcher, Spikes, Milloy and the others are lost to either age, FA'cy or wosrt yet, injury?

McNally said he's not a miracle worker. If that's the case he better start praying. Maybe someone up there will send a few towards our way.

I like the way Tom makes deals for players . I am tired of not getting any results.
Very well put.

BAM
04-25-2005, 07:17 PM
I like Mark, but he's not a good writer...

He gets his articles on Yahoo's sports page, he must be half decent. :idunno:

I'm not saying he's the best writer ever, but he does have some skills. Just because I may disagree with what he writes doesn't mean he isn't good at it.

Dozerdog
04-25-2005, 07:22 PM

I'm not saying he's the best writer ever, but he does have some skills. Just because I may disagree with what he writes doesn't mean he isn't good at it.
SHOUT! had a deal with Yahoo that BilsReport inherited- that's how their content got put up there.

I wonder if Mark is still writing for BillsReport- I could not find his latest articles on there. Allthough they have made more of their content "premium", I haven't seen Mark's stuff as of late.

Dr. Lecter
04-25-2005, 07:29 PM
If he thinks LB was a bigger need than WR or RB (depth) than he needs to back away from the crack pipe.

Dozerdog
04-25-2005, 07:32 PM
You forgot loop recording #234

London Fletcher is a midget.......He can't cover WR's..... London Fletcher is a midget.......He can't cover WR's..... London Fletcher is a midget.......He can't cover WR's..... London Fletcher is a midget.......He can't cover WR's.....

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2005, 07:39 PM
You forgot loop recording #234

London Fletcher is a midget.......He can't cover WR's..... London Fletcher is a midget.......He can't cover WR's..... London Fletcher is a midget.......He can't cover WR's..... London Fletcher is a midget.......He can't cover WR's.....Hehe....well I guess we should be prepared for loop recording #235:

Eric King is a dwarf....He can't cover WRs...Eric King is a dwarf....He can't cover WRs...Eric King is a dwarf....He can't cover WRs...Eric King is a dwarf....He can't cover WRs...

:;

BAM
04-25-2005, 07:42 PM
The same applies to some folks here as well.

Weiler can't write... He says the same thing over and over again... Weiler can't write... He says the same thing over and over again... Weiler can't write... He says the same thing over and over again... Weiler can't write... He says the same thing over and over again...

Yet his articles always end up here somewhere.

Please step back from the poor horsey. :(

:deadhorse:

Dozerdog
04-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Hehe....well I guess we should be prepared for loop recording #235:

Eric King is a dwarf....He can't cover WRs...Eric King is a dwarf....He can't cover WRs...Eric King is a dwarf....He can't cover WRs...Eric King is a dwarf....He can't cover WRs...

We have seen Fletch for 3 seasons now. He's doing great.

Eric King has been a Bill for 24 hours. I'll bet you have never seen him play. I can see having an unknown quantity might get ya a bit scared. I'll wait and see before I step on his nuts.

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2005, 07:45 PM

I've always said his content is usually pretty good and I usually agree. It's just his style....ugh.....but I guess it works for some people otherwise he wouldn't be getting on the sites. Same for Jim Rome....love him or hate him (I hate him).

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2005, 07:46 PM
We have seen Fletch for 3 seasons now. He's doing great.

Eric King has been a Bill for 24 hours. I'll bet you have never seen him play. I can see having an unknown quantity might get ya a bit scared. I'll wait and see before I step on his nuts.
Um..this was a shot at Wys, not you.

Dozerdog
04-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Oh, i thought it was a shot at Eric King.... My bad

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2005, 07:48 PM
:cheers:

mysticsoto
04-25-2005, 09:01 PM
Hehe....well I guess we should be prepared for loop recording #235:

I haven't even seen this guy yet...but I'm starting to picture him like the dwarf that was in Lord of the Rings... :D

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2005, 09:16 PM
I haven't even seen this guy yet...but I'm starting to picture him like the dwarf that was in Lord of the Rings... :D
That might be a good thing if the NFL let's him bring an axe onto the field. Chopping 6'2" WRs off at the knees will just about put him eye to eye with them. :snicker:

LifetimeBillsFan
04-26-2005, 12:09 AM

When he is happy about what we are doing then I will be scared!!! :scared:
Weiler won't be happy until he is named the President and GM of the Bills! And, fortunately, I don't think we have to worry about that happening any time soon....

He claims to be a Bills fan, but is always tearing the team down and has the most negative perspective on everything the team does. It's not that I disagree with everything he says--he has raised some valid points about the team's weaknesses, but he never tries to look at anything the team does from any other perspective. So, if you've read one article of his, you've basically read them all.

I don't mind someone holding a strong POV or going to some lengths to explain it--I freely admit that I am guilty of that myself!--but it has reached the point now with his "Commander Tom" stuff that reading his articles is a waste of time because he's :deadhorse:

clumping platelets
04-26-2005, 01:33 AM
Mark also fails to understand the fact that the salary cap and future FA play a heavy role on draft day. Moulds has a $11 million cap number in 2006, Reed (if he makes the team) will be UFA, Aiken will be RFA.....thus WR was more of a need than people realize.

Mark also fails to realize that the draft is not about the short term.....it's about the future. Few players make significant contributions as rookies and most do so in the second half of the season, not from the beginning of their rookie campaigns.

ajsdx
04-26-2005, 01:48 AM
Mark also fails to understand the fact that the salary cap and future FA play a heavy role on draft day. Moulds has a $11 million cap number in 2006, Reed (if he makes the team) will be UFA, Aiken will be RFA.....thus WR was more of a need than people realize.

Mark also fails to realize that the draft is not about the short term.....it's about the future. Few players make significant contributions as rookies and most do so in the second half of the season, not from the beginning of their rookie campaigns.

Yes...that's exactly why I agree with the "best-player-available" strategy. Everyone says it takes at least three and up to five years to grade a draft. Well, in three to five years, who knows what your needs are going to be? Pretty much anything can happen in five years, especially in the NFL. So in general, draft the best player available. You have to use FAcy to address immediate needs, because those are players who can contribute immediately. Unless you are the Patriots, it takes a long time to get draftees up to their full NFL potential. Meanwhile, whatever spot you were trying to fill with that draft pick will remain unfilled.

AndreReed83
04-26-2005, 01:53 AM
Why does he already have a nickname for Bennie Anderson? For real? And one year here at Buffalo and Villarial is already "fading?" It's so easy to be down on the entire team when a few picks or free agency doesn't go your way. I swear, if we just stop and actually look at the team and it's intagibles, we are very talented and ready to make the jump to the playoffs.

Bert102176
04-26-2005, 04:29 AM
I like the TE we drafted

TigerJ
04-26-2005, 08:25 AM
Meanwhile, as the first selection on day two in the fourth round, the Bills overstepped Jason Brown, center, UNC and Ben Wilkerson among numerous others ranked more highly by most to reach for Raymond "Duke" Preston.

Does'nt bother to mention Wilkerson went undrafted. The "commander Tom" angle was funny once. He did not need to repeat it 100 times

Yeah, Weiler seems to believe that Buffalo should rely on the assessments of Mel Kiper over their own scouting staff. That's how the Cincinnati Bengals drafted for years, but not having a decent scouting staff didn't seem to do them much good.

askabry
04-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Mark's writing style: It's not functionally good writing. However, in a sports world where simply getting a reaction is more important than content you can hardly argue his itch always get scratched hereabouts.

Dozerdog
04-26-2005, 08:49 AM
Yeah, Weiler seems to believe that Buffalo should rely on the assessments of Mel Kiper over their own scouting staff. That's how the Cincinnati Bengals drafted for years, but not having a decent scouting staff didn't seem to do them much good.

The funny thing is Mel Kiper had us drafting Everett as our 3rd round pick in his Mock...

Meathead
04-26-2005, 09:00 AM
Why you shouldn't stock the OL with high draft picks.