PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals release OT Clement

Romes
04-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Cardinals | Clement Released - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:30:18 -0700

Mike Jurecki, of XTRA Sports 910 in Arizona, reports the Arizona Cardinals have released OL Anthony Clement. The team tried to trade him during the NFL Draft, but were not able to find any potential trading partners.

Cardinals | Shelton Absent from Start of OTA - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:27:54 -0700

Mike Jurecki, of XTRA Sports 910 in Arizona, reports Arizona Cardinals OT L.J. Shelton was a no-show for the team's on-field training session Monday, April 25.

Romes
04-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Clement played RT so he isn't what we need. If Arizona did try to trade him during the draft I bet they offered him to the Bills. We didn't take him so I don't think there is a high chance we pick him up now. Although he might be decent depth.

Arizona is also in a tough situation with Shelton. It looks like Shelton may be pulling a Henry. This may be a sign of Shelton about to be released or traded.

With that said, my impression of Mularkey's and TD's post draft conferences is that the players that are gonna start on our OL are already with the team. The don't seem very enamored by what Arizona had to offer.

Bill Brasky
04-25-2005, 04:53 PM
the players that are gonna start on our OL are already with the team.

good thing we picked up Holcomb... he's gonna be good for us when JP gets the snot knocked out of him all the time.

jamze132
04-25-2005, 05:32 PM
good thing we picked up Holcomb... he's gonna be good for us when JP gets the snot knocked out of him all the time.
:bf1: Holcomb might turn out to be the best aquisition this offseason.

Mr. Cynical
04-25-2005, 05:36 PM
:negrep:

(but you might be right)

Charlieguide
04-25-2005, 07:43 PM
:negrep:

(but you might be right)

hmm . . . cyn negs someone for being cynical.

:headscrat

Jayhawk
04-25-2005, 08:21 PM
:angry:

nidan01
04-26-2005, 12:55 AM
On Shelton and Clement ....

Guys I'm a Cardinals fan and I have no axes to grind with you folks, it's not like the Cowfelons or the Rams so take small bit of info.

Shelton is not a problem guy, just the reverse in fact
Shelton is actually a pretty good LT, just not quite as good as L Davis
He is not injury prone and pretty preatty good for several years
When asked to try RT he did, he just isn't as good at RT as he is at LT
Clement on the other hand is a different story

Numerous injuries, most notably back and biceps
Seems to do a good impersonation of a rotating bar stool at RT
As for the trade with Henry, I'm still stunned like most analysts you didn't do a straight swap, I'm glad as I'm real happy with our our draft went making the trade irrevelvant.

You would have gotten and pretty good LT fairly cheap and got rid of a disgruntled player. You still have the disgruntled player while we have a good [if a bit overpriced] backup [but our cap is in good shape so no big deal].

Bottom line is if Shelton should get cut be glad if you get him but be afraid for your QB and running game if you sign Clement.

Bert102176
04-26-2005, 04:15 AM
nidan01 welcome aboard and thanx for the input

ryven
04-26-2005, 07:10 AM

Guys I'm a Cardinals fan and I have no axes to grind with you folks, it's not like the Cowfelons or the Rams so take small bit of info.

As for the trade with Henry, I'm still stunned like most analysts you didn't do a straight swap, I'm glad as I'm real happy with our our draft went making the trade irrevelvant.

You would have gotten and pretty good LT fairly cheap and got rid of a disgruntled player. You still have the disgruntled player while we have a good [if a bit overpriced] backup [but our cap is in good shape so no big deal].

Bottom line is if Shelton should get cut be glad if you get him but be afraid for your QB and running game if you sign Clement.

Welcome to the board and thanx for the info.

justasportsfan
04-26-2005, 07:23 AM
Once SHelton is released, the bills will sign him for either minimum or half of the contract he has w/ the cards.... and we still keep Henry for a trade once someone goes down at minicamps. :up:

wbat27
04-26-2005, 08:53 AM
I like your thinking justasportsfan

Bulldog
04-26-2005, 08:55 AM

And you don't think that Shelton isn't a disgruntled OT? Based on the fact that he failed to show for the start of OTA, I'd be willing to wager that he's a little unhappy. I can look at the Henry situation much the same as you can look at the Shelton situation. Buffalo has a good back-up running back with a cap friendly number for 2005. Best of all, I'm pretty certain that Henry will contribute more to Buffalo than Shelton will to Arizona and at half the price. Arizone better hope that Arrington is the answer at running back, or it could be another long season for the Cards.

Mr. Miyagi
04-26-2005, 08:59 AM
Once SHelton is released, the bills will sign him for either minimum or half of the contract he has w/ the cards.... and we still keep Henry for a trade once someone goes down at minicamps. :up:
That's exactly what I'm thinking. A proven running back is always much more valuable than an unwanted lineman, especially when starting backs go down in the preseason. :up:

Nidan
04-26-2005, 12:45 PM
note: I just discovered I already had an account here with my real handle nidan=nidan01

Actually, I know LJ to some extent and he isn't [or at least wasn't] disgruntled. he just never clicked with Denny. At the end of last season LJ hurt his ankle and it hampered his workouts. Denny was not happy with him when he came into the vol workouts.

The big deal here that you folks wouldn't know about is the old coaching regime and how that affected players and the transition.

Dave Mac was a great guy, as an amatur phtographer with a fan website we were lucky enough to have media passes for the Cardinals for several years. There is no doubt that Dave Macginnis is a great human being, however as a head coach IMO he has much to learn.

LJ was unfortunate enough to be injured in the transition period to Denny Green. BY the time he was working out again it was too late. DG is an SOB but just the kind of SOB the Cardinals needed.

I don't know if LJ will be cut and frankly I don't think LJ knows but I do know this. If he is cut and you need a LT be real happy if you sign him. His other big problem was Big ak Leonard Davies who under DG is emerging as not just good but potentialy one of the best LT. LJ is good but not that good.

Bottom line sign LJ in a hearbeat if you need a LT, pass on Clement.

THATHURMANATOR
04-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks Nidan for the info.

Canadian'eh!
04-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Clement is striictly a RT... probably a backup on most teams.

Nidan
04-27-2005, 02:00 AM
And you don't think that Shelton isn't a disgruntled OT? Based on the fact that he failed to show for the start of OTA, I'd be willing to wager that he's a little unhappy.
Unhappy is not the same as disgruntled. The latter implies he has an attitude problem and this is simply not the case. Is he unhappy about the situation, I'm sure he is.

Buffalo has a good back-up running back with a cap friendly number for 2005. Best of all, I'm pretty certain that Henry will contribute more to Buffalo than Shelton will to Arizona and at half the price. Arizone better hope that Arrington is the answer at running back, or it could be another long season for the Cards.
Frankly I'm happy you are happy, because I am happy as well. We were ambivilent at best at getting a guy coming back from injury with only 1 year left on his contract.

As for that slap at the Cards, laugh it up while you, can things they is a changing down here.

Nidan
04-27-2005, 02:05 AM
What I was going to pass on is some news from down south. We hear from a usually very reliable local media source [most are not here] that LJ will be cut.

If he is you should be happy if you get him but unfortunatly you missed the chance to get a exclisve shot at him. Now you will have to bid for him and you will still have a disgruntled [at his own admission] RB on the squad.

I will repeat it, LJ does not have an attitude problem.

I had to answer Bulldog's homer post first, you know the one. Our guy/GM is better than your guy/GM just because he is ours.

Bulldog
04-27-2005, 09:17 AM
As for that slap at the Cards, laugh it up while you, can things they is a changing down here.

I didn't take any slaps at the Cards. I just said it could be another long year in Arizona if Arrington doesn't work out. Much the same as it could be another long year in Buffalo if JP doesn't work out.

Bulldog
04-27-2005, 09:23 AM
I had to answer Bulldog's homer post first, you know the one. Our guy/GM is better than your guy/GM just because he is ours.

Show me where I said that Buffalo's GM was better than the GM for the Cards. I will say that Travis Henry is a better player than Shelton. Travis Henry is an accomplished player in this league. I don't think the same can be said for Shelton. Prior to last season, Henry was a Pro Bowl RB coming off consecutive 1300+ yard seasons. All I did was give you the perspective of the Buffalo fans regarding the Henry/Shelton non-trade, just as you gave me the perspective of the Arizona fans. No need to get all defensive, I was just stating an opinion.

ParanoidAndroid
04-27-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm going to venture a guess that if Shelton is cut, we enter the sweepstakes for him but don't go very hard. I don't think that TD wants to pay a third lineman left tackle money (Teague and Williams). As for the trade, I think TD wanted more for his $3 MIL salary. This could all change if Williams agrees to a restructure but his agent will have something to say about that, I'm sure.
I'm also going to venture a guess that one of two things will happen.
1. Henry gets traded before the season starts for a player that fits our needs and we won't take a grossly uneven cap hit for. A trade could possibly be for a 2006 draft pick.
2. He holds out of camp to posture himself but comes in before the season starts. The chance that he will get some significant playing time are decent here and he will need to increase his current worth if he wants a payday next year.

The Giants drafted a back that looks like a lesser version of Antowain Smith. They have poor quality behind Barber who is getting up there in years. That's all I can think of unless someone goes down and a team is desparate for a starter.

Romes
04-28-2005, 01:08 AM
Broncos | Clement Signed - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:55:05 -0700

The Denver Broncos have announced the signing of free agent OT Anthony Clement (Cardinals). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-28-2005, 02:43 AM
The Giants drafted a back that looks like a lesser version of Antowain Smith. They have poor quality behind Barber who is getting up there in years. That's all I can think of unless someone goes down and a team is desparate for a starter.
The Giants drafted Brandon Jacobs--someone who some people thought that the Bills should consider as a possible back-up for W.McGahee in the mid-rounds of the draft--who transfered from Auburn, where he was competing with R.Brown and C.Williams for playing time, to get more time on the field. Jacobs is a huge back who will get a shot to be their short-yardage back. The Giants struggled in short-yardage the last couple of seasons and Jacobs fills a real need for them.

T.Barber's back-up in other situations will be M.Cloud. They like Cloud and he has played reasonably well for them, even though he really didn't do a great job in short-yardage situations. Still, he was better than R.Dayne.

I doubt that the NY Giants would be interested in trading for T.Henry unless T.Barber went down with a serious long-term injury first. Even then they might not be that interested because T.Henry, despite being on the small side, isn't the kind of pass-receiver out of the backfield that they want behind E.Manning. Jacobs isn't that kind of RB, either, but he fills a different role for them.

thebuffalobills4
04-28-2005, 04:30 PM
who the flip is that ot that the broncos signed? :wtf: :schmoll:

ddaryl
04-28-2005, 05:16 PM
I'm going to venture a guess that if Shelton is cut, we enter the sweepstakes for him but don't go very hard. I don't think that TD wants to pay a third lineman left tackle money (Teague and Williams). As for the trade, I think TD wanted more for his $3 MIL salary. This could all change if Williams agrees to a restructure but his agent will have something to say about that, I'm sure.

Teague is not making ANYTHING CLOSE to LT money

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/playerProfile.asp?ID=26116
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=tabledata>2002</TD><TD class=tabledata align=right>525000.00</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabledata>2003</TD><TD class=tabledata align=right>750000.00</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabledata>2004</TD><TD class=tabledata align=right>1500000.00</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabledata>2005</TD><TD class=tabledata align=right>1250000.00</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The reason the Bills are not restrucutring MW's contract this year is

1.) Why restructure it if there is no need. If we keep it as is that will leave that much less ot have to restrucuture next year and benefit future cap hits.

2.) What if MW fails to make it to camp on time, and/or does not look as good or fail to continue to improve as he did at the end of last season. The Bills might be looking to dump MW next year and restructuring this year would make that harder.