PDA

View Full Version : NFL, DirecTV extend deal five years

Mr. Miyagi
12-13-2002, 12:43 PM
I think we talked about this before. Now it's official that cable pay-per-view won't be getting any NFL games anytime soon. :(

NFL.com wire reports

NEW YORK (Dec. 12, 2002)-- The NFL extended its agreement with DirecTV for five years, giving the satellite service exclusive rights to the league's subscription package in a deal worth $2 billion.

The NFL's average take will rise to $400 million, more than three times the $130 million it is getting from DirecTV this season under an expiring five-year contract, an industry source close to the negotiations told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

Included in the agreement, which runs from 2003-07, is the launching of a 24-hour NFL Channel on DirecTV as early as next year. DirecTV has shown NFL games since 1995.

In Demand, a pay-per-view cable TV company, also was interested in acquiring the rights to NFL Sunday Ticket.

"Our partnership with DirecTV will continue to complement and support our broadcast television packages that allow us to put all of our games on free, over-the-air television," NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said.

The league has deals with Fox, CBS, ABC and ESPN worth a total of $17.6 billion from 1998-05.

"NFL Sunday Ticket has been a significant programming differentiator for DirecTV, helping us build a loyal subscriber base," DirecTV chairman Eddy Hartenstein said. "It's crucial for us to have programming that sets us apart from our competition."

His service has more than 11 million customers and is a unit of Hughes Electronics, which is a unit of General Motors Corp.

NFL Sunday Ticket allows subscribers to see all out-of-market games each Sunday during the regular season.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service
Copyright 2002, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

lordofgun
12-13-2002, 12:46 PM
My cable company lied to me. :wail:

fabolouspaul
12-13-2002, 12:46 PM
DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!

Earthquake Enyart
12-13-2002, 01:21 PM
NFL Channel 24/7!!! I'll never leave the couch! :bigmike:

Akhippo
12-13-2002, 08:22 PM
That really blows! Up in AK, they have to put a six foot pole in my back yard, along with theyre biggest dish, for this i have to fork over 2000 dollars, and still now gaurantee that it will come in routinely. So im stuck waking up 7 in the morning to make my way to the sports bar by 815 to get a seat. At least they serve breakfast.

Mr. Miyagi
12-13-2002, 08:41 PM
...and that's why some of us don't want to live in AK. You might hook up with AWM and see if he wants to split the dish cost. :)

Cntrygal
12-13-2002, 08:43 PM
Which sports bar Akhippo? I was the only Bills fan at the one I went to for the Vikes game. (In Anchorage)

Novacane
12-13-2002, 09:20 PM
Going from 130 mill this year to 400 mill next year could mean an extra 4-8 million on each teams salary cap

Dozerdog
12-13-2002, 10:49 PM
We reported this story earlier this week...

Adelphia lied to you log?

What is this world coming to??

Novacane
12-14-2002, 07:15 AM
John Rigas Lie? I don't believe that!

Akhippo
12-14-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
Which sports bar Akhippo? I was the only Bills fan at the one I went to for the Vikes game. (In Anchorage)

The Peanut Farm.