How do compensatory picks work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kardshark19
    I will splash the pot whenever the hell I want!
    • Aug 2002

How do compensatory picks work?

How come we didn't get any this year after losing Winfield, who played pretty well in Minnesota? Are we going to get any for losing Big Pat and JJ, which may show to be key losses to us this year? Anyone know, or is it just based on someone's opinion in the NFL FO?
    If you don't like your job, you don't strike; you just go in every day and do it really half assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

"In the poker game of life, women are the rake. They are the f**kin' rake."
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Last year we lost Winfield, but we signed Villarrial, Vincent

Compensitory picks are awarded based on how many players you lose compared to how many you sign in Free Agency. it's designed to replenish teams who were depleted via free agency.

If the Bills lost 5 guys, but only signed 1 or 2, then they get picks. The rounds are based on how much guys signed for on other teams.

Cutting a guy for Salary cap reasons doesn't count. We lost Williams & Jennings. We signed Anderson, Holcombe, Gandy. I don;'t think we will get any next season either.

Comment

• kardshark19
      • Aug 2002

so it has nothing to do with the production of your losses vs gains? So if Indy loses Peyton, Marvin and Edge, but get three backup offenses lineman, they don't get anything? That's sucks!
      If you don't like your job, you don't strike; you just go in every day and do it really half assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

This is the best I could come up with-

The NFL announced the 32 compensatory choices for the 2005 Draft yesterday. The Collective Bargaining Agreement allows for teams that lose more, or better free agents in a year, to be compensated with draft picks.

Shrouded in mystery, the NFL Management Council has a 'magic formula' for determining these picks that is based somewhat on salary, playing time and post-season honors. No team can receive more than four of the thirty two added selections and the picks are positioned within the third through seventh rounds as dictated by the formula.

The Denver Broncos made out the best landing two picks in the third round to compensate for the losses of Bert Berry, Keith Burns, and Ian Gold, while only adding Marco Coleman. The Titans received a 3rd and a 4th round selection for the losses of Jevon Kearse and Robaire Smith.

Here are all of the 2005 Compensatory Picks as determined by the NFL management council:

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

Based on this- I guess we might have a shot at a pick or two next season

Comment

• kardshark19
            • Aug 2002

Thanks Dozer! You da man!

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

Its a ratio of player lost via FA to players gained via FA. Then they figure in how much players lost were signed for vs: how much players gained were signed for.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by kardshark19
                so it has nothing to do with the production of your losses vs gains? So if Indy loses Peyton, Marvin and Edge, but get three backup offenses lineman, they don't get anything? That's sucks!
                Fortunately, their formula (as described in Dozer's post)--which they will not release the details of--isn't simply a player for player formula. It does take into account salary and, supposedly, other performance factors--which in part are used to determine what round the compensation picks are awarded in. There was an article a couple of months ago in one of the NYC area newspapers by a writer who wanted to do an article on what the formula was where he described how the NFL totally stone-walled him and wouldn't give him any more info than what is in Dozer's post: they simply refused to go into any details about it.

I also think that Dozer is right when he says that there is a chance that the Bills may get at least one compensatory pick next year.
                Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Bert102176
                  • Aug 2002

Hey Dozer does that mean we won't get any comp picks next year or should we?
                  lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• Bert102176
                    • Aug 2002

sorry just read the last part so my ? was answered ty
                    lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

Working...
                    X