PDA

View Full Version : Commentary on Raymond "Duke" Preston

ghz in pittsburgh
04-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Not to beat the dead horse one more time, here is more info from the Bills scout on Preston:

http://fightingillini.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042505aaa.html

Whether Preston pans out or not, only time will tell. But we can see what McNally is asking for in terms of interior linemen:

-->On his fit within the team: You want to get guys that fit what we're trying to do on offense. If you get a smaller player playing guard or center, he's not going to be able to do some of the things that we ask our players to do right now. He's obviously a better fit in that way.

Now a more sensitive comparison to Teague:

-->On drawing comparisons to Trey Teague: It's hard to compare him to Trey who's a nine-year veteran. He's 6'5", he's about the same size as Trey, but probably a little thicker than Trey. He's a 315 lb. guy so he's probably a little bigger than Trey but other than that he has a lot of the same characteristics as far as smarts and toughness.

Combined with the physical makeup of Preston he described earlier, compared to what we know of Teague who, like all tackles before him, is top heavy (so that more agile in space), it's not hard to conclude the problem McNally had with Teague. Teague is OK right now, but McNally got the ideal center make-up physically in Preston. How soon can Preston get into the lineup will be determined by how soon he gets "it" - the NFL "it" - mentally.

And lastly I think the Bills coaches does have 3-4 defense in mind:
-->On the increasing size of the offensive line: We've got some big people and that is a factor. We have to get people who can block the big strong nose and defensive tackles. It's a trend I think.

Sportsuser101
04-25-2005, 09:57 PM
If your talking about the Bills defense switching to a 34 defense thats not what they're referring to. They are talking about blocking the NT for teams like the Pats and Fins who are going to the 34. Not sure if thats what you were talking about.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-26-2005, 06:40 AM
That's what I mean, a center who can block a 3-4 NT without help