PDA

View Full Version : Donahoe getting alot of HEAT

pashi911
04-26-2005, 09:08 AM
Just pulled this off of pro football talk. Donahoe seems to think he has all the answers even though Travis is still here. It looks like some people are getting fed up with his antics. Take a look at the post.....

DONAHOE'S GOT NO LEVERAGE

With a glut of running backs available via the draft, trade, and/or free agency and a former No. 1 tailback who vows never to play in Buffalo again, Bills G.M. Tom Donahoe overlooked one key fact as he postured and preened for a first-day pick in exchange for Travis Henry.

Donahoe has no leverage.

But that didn't stop Donahoe from talking tough about the trade that never was, and likely never will be -- at least not on Tom's terms.

"We weren't presented with very much, to be honest with you," Donahoe said after the draft. "We have to hear something that makes sense, other than somebody offering a player we don't want or somebody offering a late-round pick, which we're not going to do."

Donahoe was at it again on Monday: "If not being offered anything is being greedy, then we were greedy," he said. "We were willing to discuss anything but somebody has to offer you something so that you can have a conversation."

Said one league insider in response, "Can't this smug ******* shut up?"

The source described Donahoe as an "egomaniac [who] will never learn his lesson about being disrespectful towards other people [and] decision-makers in the NFL."

Perhaps Donahoe is still stinging from past draft-day trades, which included giving up a 2003 first-rounder in 2002 for Drew Bledsoe, and then giving up a 2005 first-rounder in 2004 for the guy who will replace Bledsoe after three mediocre seasons.

But even in connection with the Bledsoe trade Donahoe talked tough, saying initially that he'd never give up a first-round pick for Bledsoe and then boasting that he would have given up two first-rounders for the former New England quarterback, whom Donahoe said he decided to acquire after seeing him throw against the wind in pregame warm ups (perhaps Donahoe should have withheld judgment until after watching tape of Bledsoe throwing against the wind -- and at the same time against coverage and a pass rush).

The deeper problem seems to be that other league insiders don't appreciate Donahoe's public statements regarding trades and trade offers. Yeah, it's a competitive business, but there's a certain code of conduct when it comes to talking publicly, expressly or implicitly, regarding other front offices.

At the core, its a matter of respect. Donahoe doesn't give it in situations like this, so as a result he rarely gets it from some of the most respected figures in the league.

OpIv37
04-26-2005, 09:30 AM
With a glut of running backs available via the draft, trade, and/or free agency and a former No. 1 tailback who vows never to play in Buffalo again

TD's calling his bluff. If Henry sits this year, he'll be basically worthless at this time next year. He needs to come out and play hard to get the payday he wants.

Perhaps Donahoe is still stinging from past draft-day trades, which included giving up a 2003 first-rounder in 2002 for Drew Bledsoe, and then giving up a 2005 first-rounder in 2004 for the guy who will replace Bledsoe after three mediocre seasons.

This post just wreaks of ignorance. First, Drew Bledsoe didn't work out but we desperately needed a QB and he was the best available at that time. Second, we got our 2003 #1 back for a WR who turned out to be a bust- how can TD be faulted for that. And finally, getting an extra pick in last year's strong draft in exchange for one in this year's crappy draft is a good move on paper. Let's let Losman play a few games before judging this one.

That being said, the respect thing is a big issue. Most GM's have big heads and TD needs to learn that stroking egos is is the nature of the business.

Jan Reimers
04-26-2005, 09:44 AM
McGahee and Henry will give us one of the best RB duos in football - and it won't be the first time that a one time starter has backed up a current starter. In fact, it happens quite often.

jamze132
04-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Most of this "You have to trade Travis Henry" crap was and still is being fueled by the media. Donahoe does not have to trade him. This stuff is overplayed. And if Donahoe comes out and says that Travis is still a Buffalo Bill because there weren't any real offers, than there probably weren't any real offers. If a GM called up and said that we'll give you a 6th round pick for Henry, I would decline too.

Meathead
04-26-2005, 09:45 AM
TD's Peerless Price move was brilliant.

mysticsoto
04-26-2005, 09:53 AM
Agreed, and all this talk about TH sitting is just bull. If TH gets an opportunity to go in the game, he better take advantage and run like he's never ran before!!! It would be idiotic to just sit and pout like a baby. His offers after the year will be affected by how he acts this year! He's still under contract and must abide by it!

Pride
04-26-2005, 10:00 AM
Say what you want about TD, he makes great offseason moves.... sure he has ignored the OL, but I feel that we will be ok with what we have.

Akhippo
04-26-2005, 10:27 AM
Why isnt anyone dogging AZ for not trading for Henry. The could have swapped seconds with us. Hell, they used it on a back anyway. If they picked up Henry they would have a back and a second still.

I have no problem getting worth for Henry. I would have even taken a third. But to just give him a way for the sake of getting rid of Henry. Ridiculous. Now we have a very deep backfield for a year with a very cheap contract. With three backs in the top five, this was a very deep field. What are you going to do?

bills_phan
04-26-2005, 10:27 AM
Say what you want about TD, he makes great offseason moves.... sure he has ignored the OL, but I feel that we will be ok with what we have.
I know they're not exactly big-name players, but 2 FAs and 2 draft picks is not exactly ignoring the OL.

RedEyE
04-26-2005, 10:32 AM
TD has the respect of a lot of people througout the league. Remember, this is pro-football talk commenting on his tactics. If the person writing this horribly written article really wants to focus on unprofessionalism perhaps he needs to look no further than this statement here: Said one league insider in response, "Can't this smug ******* shut up?"

That doesn't seem too professional to me.

Also, what he fails to comment on is that Henry is the one wanting to be traded. Donahoe ended up doing all the leg work in the end and came up empty handed. Or did he?

I see it as TD ended up with two solid backs running the ball next to #1 draft pick JP Losman. Travis needs to look at himself and decide if he wants play back-up in Buffalo, or take a chance by sitting out and not playing at all.

Mahdi
04-26-2005, 10:45 AM
If he sat out...wouldnt he continue to be a Bill next year?

ArcticWildMan
04-26-2005, 10:58 AM

Yep.

ArcticWildMan
04-26-2005, 11:06 AM
ProFootball Talk is the National Enquirer of the NFL media. Take what that site says with a huge grain of salt.

don137
04-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Why isnt anyone dogging AZ for not trading for Henry. The could have swapped seconds with us. Hell, they used it on a back anyway. If they picked up Henry they would have a back and a second still.

If JJ Arrington ends up being a bust then Arizona will get a lot of heat wondering why they wasted a pick on Arrington when they could of received a proven player in Henry. Until then Arizona won't get scrutinized. They had a very good draft. A lot of it was luck though. I think they were in the right position at the right time...

Statman
04-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Nope. He has a contract for '04, not '05. He's satisfied the league's 4 year rule.

Jeff1220
04-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Henry has a choice of the following:
A. Stop complaining and be a back-up to Willis, and play his heart out when opportunities arise.

or

B. Hold out, miss opportunities, and continue to be a back-up.

He can not hold out, imo. If he holds out the whole year, he'll still be committed to the Bills, contractually. If he holds out, then plays the minimum to fulfill his contract (4 games, I think), he'll turn off a lot more coaches/GMs and probably only get a FA deal to be a back up or, at best, compete for a job. He will NOT get a big payday.

I understand TD's stance on this. He's happy with a b-u as good as TH...why should he just give him away?

mysticsoto
04-26-2005, 12:49 PM
If JJ Arrington ends up being a bust then Arizona will get a lot of heat wondering why they wasted a pick on Arrington when they could of received a proven player in Henry. Until then Arizona won't get scrutinized. They had a very good draft. A lot of it was luck though. I think they were in the right position at the right time...
Or if JJ gets hurt...who's his backup?

Drive 4 Five
04-26-2005, 12:53 PM
I think Donahoe is wise to not just "give" Henry away. Henry IS a damn good running back and teams are only playing hard because, like the article said, we don't have any leverage. Let another team's starting back go down in camp or the preseason and we'll see what he is worth then.

I really do not believe Henry will sit out. That would be beyond foolish. If he feels he deserves to be the starter here then he needs to stop acting like a little ***** and go out an prove it. We all know it will never happen, he is no match for McGahee, but he can at least try.

Spielmanrules54
04-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Or if JJ gets hurt...who's his backup?
Marcel Shipp, who's OK but is coming of a major leg injury.

HHURRICANE
04-26-2005, 01:58 PM
There is no way the coaches want Henry back. The last thing we need is a disgruntled RB sitting on the bench or in the backfield. Plus he won't show up for any of the camps so this story will never die. This is a distraction and TD knew it the minute he drafted McGahee. TD needs to fix it, nobody else. People are dreaming if they think Henry will be back.

Michael82
04-26-2005, 02:40 PM
It's coming from Pro Football Talk.... 'nuff said.

Dozerdog
04-26-2005, 03:39 PM
The only party that will be irrevocably harmed by Travis sitting out will be Travis himself.

The Bills will still have a top flight RB, a decent rookie gem, and possibly a veteran backup like Garrison Hearst.

Henry will miss out on his $1.25 million, and will see his free agent value plummet. By being a steady, solid contributor (like Lamont Jordan of the Jets) he could garner a decent contract with a team next year. Maybe get a $3-4 million deal per season. But he will be lucky to get half that if he sits out. He wold be lucky to get Antoine Smith / Eddie George money.

The Bills wold be better off getting the compensitory pick value than give him away for nothing. I'm glad TD is holding his ground.

Canadian'eh!
04-26-2005, 03:43 PM
I doubt TD cares....

he can't control the market for TH.

Dozerdog
04-26-2005, 04:07 PM

The source described Donahoe as an "egomaniac [who] will never learn his lesson about being disrespectful towards other people [and] decision-makers in the NFL."

Any un named anonymous source IMHO might as well be made up fiction.

Bill Brasky
04-26-2005, 04:33 PM
he has ignored the OL, but I feel that we will be ok with what we have.

:crazy:

It sucks we couldn't move Henry. Imagine if WM suffers another serious injury... then what does TD do, go crawling back to Travis and offer him something... god I hope that doesn't happen. Talk about a ****storm.

Drive 4 Five
04-26-2005, 04:52 PM
:crazy:

It sucks we couldn't move Henry. Imagine if WM suffers another serious injury... then what does TD do, go crawling back to Travis and offer him something... god I hope that doesn't happen. Talk about a ****storm.

Not saying you in particular, but why are people so damn worried about McGahee getting hurt again? It seems that he is no more likely to become seriously injured than any other back in this league.

This guy is a beast. No worries...

Shoot we'll just throw in Jason Peters if anything serious happens and we'll be a'ight.

Philagape
04-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Marcel Shipp, who's OK but is coming of a major leg injury.

From what I've read about Arrington, he's not an every-down feature back. It's going to be a committee in Arizona, when they could have had a pound-it back in Henry.

Albany,n.y.
04-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Just pulled this off of pro football talk. Donahoe seems to think he has all the answers even though Travis is still here. It looks like some people are getting fed up with his antics. Take a look at the post.....

DONAHOE'S GOT NO LEVERAGE

With a glut of running backs available via the draft, trade, and/or free agency and a former No. 1 tailback who vows never to play in Buffalo again, Bills G.M. Tom Donahoe overlooked one key fact as he postured and preened for a first-day pick in exchange for Travis Henry.

Donahoe has no leverage.

But that didn't stop Donahoe from talking tough about the trade that never was, and likely never will be -- at least not on Tom's terms.

"We weren't presented with very much, to be honest with you," Donahoe said after the draft. "We have to hear something that makes sense, other than somebody offering a player we don't want or somebody offering a late-round pick, which we're not going to do."

Donahoe was at it again on Monday: "If not being offered anything is being greedy, then we were greedy," he said. "We were willing to discuss anything but somebody has to offer you something so that you can have a conversation."

But even in connection with the Bledsoe trade Donahoe talked tough, saying initially that he'd never give up a first-round pick for Bledsoe and then boasting that he would have given up two first-rounders for the former New England quarterback, whom Donahoe said he decided to acquire after seeing him throw against the wind in pregame warm ups (perhaps Donahoe should have withheld judgment until after watching tape of Bledsoe throwing against the wind -- and at the same time against coverage and a pass rush).

The deeper problem seems to be that other league insiders don't appreciate Donahoe's public statements regarding trades and trade offers. Yeah, it's a competitive business, but there's a certain code of conduct when it comes to talking publicly, expressly or implicitly, regarding other front offices.

At the core, its a matter of respect. Donahoe doesn't give it in situations like this, so as a result he rarely gets it from some of the most respected figures in the league.

I didn't know Travis Henry's agent could write that many paragraphs. I always assumed he was an illiterate drunk who couldn't do anything but drink bowling ball shots & threaten the Bills. He proved me wrong with a multi- paragraph rant.

The_Philster
04-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Nope. He has a contract for '04, not '05. He's satisfied the league's 4 year rule.

If he sits out the entire year, this year won't count. The contracts are given a length...not an expiration date. He has to be here for at least 6 games or he'll be on the roster again in 2006 whether he likes it or not.

Mr. Cynical
04-26-2005, 06:03 PM
If he sits out the entire year, this year won't count. The contracts are given a length...not an expiration date. He has to be here for at least 6 games or he'll be on the roster again in 2006 whether he likes it or not.
Are you 100% sure about this? I'm not doubting you...I just want to know for sure because this has been bugging me for awhile.

Luisito23
04-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Are you 100% sure about this? I'm not doubting you...I just want to know for sure because this has been bugging me for awhile.

ME 2....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Philster
04-26-2005, 06:31 PM

Yeah...they talked about the situation on WGR today and that came up. All he has to do is be active for 6 games to get credit for the season. But without those 6 games, he's still under contract

Mr. Cynical
04-27-2005, 03:30 AM
Yeah...they talked about the situation on WGR today and that came up. All he has to do is be active for 6 games to get credit for the season. But without those 6 games, he's still under contract
Cool. :up:

So there's no way he sits out, and then plays 6 games in '06. By that time, we'll have another backup set, so he will just sit the pine for 6 games and then will get squat for offers. His best bet is to either play his ass off as a Bills backup or kiss TDs ass to hope he can make a trade before the season.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Did anyone see M.Mularkey's interview on "Mike and Mike in the Morning" on ESPN on Monday morning?

With regard to the trade offers, M.Mularkey also said that they really weren't offered anything reasonable. He stated that the Bills weren't asking for that much, either.

He said that the team understands how disappointed T.Henry must feel and that they are disappointed that they couldn't make a deal, but that they are still working on it (and may have something in the works) and will try to get the situation resolved, although it will be more difficult to do now.
I got the impression from this interview and the one he did on ESPN at the end of the draft that he was upset because a deal didn't get done, but it didn't get done because teams simply weren't interested in offering anything worthwhile for T.Henry (consider this: Denver used a 3rd round pick on M.Clarrett rather than trade it for T.Henry!) and T.Henry now knows this. I also got the impression that the Bills still are actively looking to trade T.Henry as soon as they can because Mularkey isn't any more interested in keeping T.Henry or having this situation string out than T.Henry is, but, if the interest isn't there now, they are prepared to wait until a deal is available. What struck me the most, though, was Mularkey's insistence that the Bills aren't asking for the world in exchange for T.Henry.

After reading about how Seattle was unable to get any decent offers for S.Alexander, I have a feeling that, while teams were willing to sound the Bills out to see if maybe they could steal him for nothing, there really wasn't an substantive interest in T.Henry at even a reasonable price.

That could change, though, come training camp. And, keep your eyes on Tennessee as a possible landing place for T.Henry if C.Brown's turf toe problems recur.

Also, T.Henry must report by Game Ten in order to get paid this season. I think, although I am not sure, that he must report by then for it to be considered that he has fulfilled the final year of his contract as well.

don137
04-27-2005, 07:34 AM
Travis is only hurting himself. He is hurting himself big time with his 'me first' mentality. Its really too bad too because he was a team player a couple years ago. He will get a bigger pay day if he is not traded and just sucks it up and become a team player again.