• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mysticsoto
    Too sober for this...
    • Apr 2004

Back to the top 5 fastest...

Following up on the posts we were talking about several weeks back, it looks like it is Greer that is the fastest on the team: http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=444921&rfi=6

According to Bills’ president general/manager Tom Donahoe, Greer is the fastest player on the roster and will get a long look in training camp

...and it looks like they might be thinking of starting him if he does well in camp - maybe at nickel ahead of Kevin Thomas?

So now who are the fastest with all the new players including the undrafted?

1. Greer

Candidates? Evans, Parrish, Clements, McGee, Eric King...anyone else?
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

1.Greer
    2.Parrish
    3.Evans
    4.King
    5.Clements

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

I think Evans and Parrish - both around 4.40 guys - are probably in there. Moorman is a candidate too, unless he's lost a half step.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• EDS
        • Jan 2003

I did not realize Greer was that fast. Why wasn't he drafted? He is thin yes, but has o.k. height, played in a good program, etc. I am really starting to like the Bills depth at CB.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

Originally posted by EDS
          I did not realize Greer was that fast. Why wasn't he drafted? He is thin yes, but has o.k. height, played in a good program, etc. I am really starting to like the Bills depth at CB.
          I think Greer was considered one of those really fast track guys who didn't have great football skills, or instincts, or whatever...
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

Interesting. Great pick-up as an undrafted free agent then.

I know this is like beating a dead horse, but it is really amazing how well some of last years undrafted free agents worked out. Greer and Baker both have demonstrated at least some potential to be solid back-ups at worst, and potential starters at best.

Peters is raw as sushi but has some interesting physical talents that may yet allow him to develop into a capable offensive lineman.

Williams I actually don't think will ever be a starter, and maybe not even a number two back, but he is a good option as a third tailback/change of pace guy.

Comment

• ryjam282
              Offical Billszone Starting QB
              • Mar 2003

Actually, didn't Evans run a 4.31 at the combine and I know Parrish was a 4.37 this year. So, they are up there. Wasn't Mcgee and Clements up there as well? They were in the Pro Bowl fastest man competition.

Ryan Withey
              Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• EDS
                • Jan 2003

If Greer can run faster then a 4.31 forty then he can flat out fly. Granted, speed isn't everything (see Antonio Brown), butit can't hurt.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                  Too sober for this...
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Mahdi
                  1.Greer
                  2.Parrish
                  3.Evans
                  4.King
                  5.Clements
                  King is faster than Clements? Wow! Not to get anyone riled up, but let's say they start Greer at nickelback, and King also looks good this year...does that allow us to let NC go without incurring a huge cap hit for signing him next year?

Calm down...everyone...just looking at it from a money perspective...

if these 2 CBs play to their potential, we might be able to save ourselves alot of money.

Realistically, I think we should pay NC a fair salary and try to keep him...but I'm hoping that he doesn't go nuts and want the world!!! If so, then it's nice to know we have our "nice and speedy depth" to fall back on.

Comment

• Ed
                    Dude
                    • Sep 2002

If Greer is the fastest guy on the team, it's not surprising then that Mularkey wanted to use him on some reverse plays last year, which he was heavily critisized for.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                      Maybe?
                      • Oct 2003

I agree it's great to have speed at corner....but it doesn't help you in the end zone going up against 6'+ WRs. It would be nice to add one tall, physical CB that we could match up on guys in those situations.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                        Too sober for this...
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Ed
                        If Greer is the fastest guy on the team, it's not surprising then that Mularkey wanted to use him on some reverse plays last year, which he was heavily critisized for.
                        Well, yes, he was criticized, and he deserved to be criticized. All eyes were on Greer. I mean, you bring a DB to play offense and expect people to not have their eye on what he might be up to? He should have been a decoy - it might have worked better! Reverses work by fooling the LBs into going one way and then changing the direction of play. If everyone is looking at Greer b'cse he's a DB that usually isn't in the offense and is sticking out like a sore thumb, then the attempt at deception fails - you want to catch the defenses napping and overplaying the pursuit...it also helps if the LBs you are facing are slow.

Comment

• Ed
                          Dude
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          Well, yes, he was criticized, and he deserved to be criticized. All eyes were on Greer. I mean, you bring a DB to play offense and expect people to not have their eye on what he might be up to? He should have been a decoy - it might have worked better! Reverses work by fooling the LBs into going one way and then changing the direction of play. If everyone is looking at Greer b'cse he's a DB that usually isn't in the offense and is sticking out like a sore thumb, then the attempt at deception fails - you want to catch the defenses napping and overplaying the pursuit...it also helps if the LBs you are facing are slow.
                          I don't know if that was the only or first time that Greer stepped on the field though, for the offense. He could have been in on some previous plays. It's hard to notice sometimes.

Comment

• EDS
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                            I agree it's great to have speed at corner....but it doesn't help you in the end zone going up against 6'+ WRs. It would be nice to add one tall, physical CB that we could match up on guys in those situations.
                            Agreed. Although I thin that is why you hold on to a guy like Kevin Thomas, who does have good size and skill but lacks top end speed.

Comment

• blue on blue
                              • Jul 2002

Moorman wasNCAA 110 High Hurdles national champ...

Moorman was a division 2 NCAA champion 110-meter high hurdle national champion.. I would venture to say that the fastest guy on our team is our punter. Football is football and track is track and track guys blow so-called football speed away.

Comment

Working...
                              X